The Mercury, 1720 Clothing and Weapons

William Brand

Grey wool Slops Contract Jacket (I wanna replace the red cotton lining with red wool cotton lining... I'm not looking forward to re-doing the button holes tho.... I also have to get 15 brass buttons for it)

Mr. Hand, you can "cheat" when replacing the lining. Cut the lining out but leave the strip where the button holes are. Then blind stitch the turned under edge of your new lining to the turned under strip where the button holes are.

Clear as mud?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify, it's not "wrong" to leave the button holes or lacing holes while replacing the lining. The lining is meant to be replaced, but the holes wouldn't be redone every time unless they needed to be repaired.

The other thing is that with existing button holes, they are already cut & ideally button holes shouldn't be cut until after the edge is stitched. That's what keeps them from getting all wonky. I know you know that Mr. Hand, but in case anyone else didn't, now they do.

I can sympathize with wanting to do just generally a better job on them though. You'd think with all the button holes & eyelets on period clothes you wouldn't have to do so many to get them to look good.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

I have a new question. There are a number of pirates who wish to attend PIP who cannot afford the costuming after securing the plane or car fare. I know it can be a struggle to afford all and still attend, so...

...how many of you could contribute to a kind of hand me down program or a loan pile for those who have not?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Hmm at the moment, no, still swamped sewing for newbies, but with planning....and by Dec. All they would need would be trousers/breeches, shirt and neckerchief.... something for their feet may be a bit more difficult unless someone can find some decent rope sandals.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I might be able to make a couple of drawstring pants if necessary. I know they're not correct but they are cheap and easy to make. They also fit just about anyone. I can make them out of heavy cotton muslin which is cheap.

Just throwing it out there. Let me know.

Thank you for volunteering. I have pair or two of drawstring pants to throw in to the grab bag. We don't have many people who will need them, but it is a way of helping people who have very limited funds.

Also, if there is anyone out there who is embarassed to ask for assistance publically, don't be. This is a community of pirates. Borrowing and sharing clothes about a crew is both period and practical. Many ships had a place to stow extra old clothes in case they were needed for later. Just let us know what you need. You can PM or post here for requests and we'll see what we can drum up.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I recently acquired by accident a great amount of extra fabric (I ordered the wrong thing, Doh! :lol: )...

So I have a whole bunch of linen/cotton fabric that I could turn into spare/loaner clothes.... As long as ...

1) It's okay that they aren't a perfectly period fabric

2) It's okay that they aren't hand sewn (I'm not going to put that much work into spare/donor clothes)

I have 5 yards of a lightweight linen/cotton fabric (good for shirts etc.), and the same amount of mid-weight fabric (good for jackets, pants etc.)

All of the fabric is natural (oatmeal) colour, although it wouldn't be too much trouble to dye it (I guess?)....

Sizes (and colour preference) would help, I could make it all to fit me (I'm an average size guy, but a little on the short side), but I doubt I will ever wear it, so if I am going to make it, I would prefer to size it for a needy soul(s).

Michael_banner.jpg

Linen/ Cotton blend is period if I remember correctly. It s called fustian.

Now I've only heard about it being used for the outer shell on waistcoats and the like. I'm not sure about the use for pants and shirts but hey its better than just straight up cotton. :lol:

Now I've only heard about it being used for the outer shell on waistcoats and the like. I'm not sure about the use for pants and shirts but hey its better than just straight up cotton. :lol:

The lightest of the two fustian fabrics I have is light enough to almost mimic a linen shirt material.... And it pretty much looks like real linen except on very close scrutiny. It's about 5 to 6 oz. per square yard, so it will make a good stout shirt (I think it is too light for pants or any other garments, except maybe as a lining).

The mid-weight stuff would make great trousers/slops/breeches, or waistcoats or even outer coats, this stuff is in the 7 to 9 oz. per square yard range...

Michael_banner.jpg

QUOTE (Amanjiria @ Apr 17 2007, 01:24 PM)

Now I've only heard about it being used for the outer shell on waistcoats and the like. I'm not sure about the use for pants and shirts but hey its better than just straight up cotton.  

The lightest of the two fustian fabrics I have is light enough to almost mimic a linen shirt material.... And it pretty much looks like real linen except on very close scrutiny. It's about 5 to 6 oz. per square yard, so it will make a good stout shirt (I think it is too light for pants or any other garments, except maybe as a lining).

The mid-weight stuff would make great trousers/slops/breeches, or waistcoats or even outer coats, this stuff is in the 7 to 9 oz. per square yard range...

Tks for saving the day, guys....I ordered a shirt from flying canoe traders last year, 50%linen/50%cotton. The small was too small, so now I am re-ordering. I like FCT because they have the tall band collar with pewter buttons, not the fold -down revolutionary war collar.

SHIP2-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

once i get off me arse and stop being fearful of making mistakes i know i will, just hope to be able to make them less then noticable B) i shuold have some decent garb.

any suggestions for long narrow feet? something in ladies perhaps...do nae force me into the bucket boot issue B)

if ther are many newbies at sewing more hten happy to start an oh damn thread for discourse on mistakes and what not to do again

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Salty, try this link to make modern shoes look like latchet shoes.

http://www.luckhardt.com/ecwsa53.html

The style is very out of style for 1720 but you can do something similar by cutting down a boot more around the ankle and tying with ribbons (still very popular for the ladies & less expensive than buckles) plus, this way, you can make sure they are "modern" comfortable, but on the cheap.

dinae suppose barefoot would be feasable at'll on second thought perhaps i can make somethign do with looking on the site given

• 2 weeks later...
So okay, I am making my obsessive compulsive packing list, and I have the basics down alright - a couple pairs of slops, a couple skirts, shirts, shoes, ect (note to self - get sewing!) but what am I missing. I need to pack for all contingency. What am I missing? heeeelp!!

What is the main type of character you will be portraying?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

don't forget basic toiletries and eating kit(mug, bowl, knife fork & spoon ...i also recomend your own cloth bag to hang them up in after washing up!) camera & phone(discreetly) weapons, meds as needed also some sunscreen

creditcards or cash tucked safely away. bedroll (cotton sheets & wool blanket or 2and a foam pad covered with a bit of canvas to disguise it would be ok too :huh: )

but what am I missing. I need to pack for all contingency. What am I missing? heeeelp!!

Easy now lass! Easy! Take a couple deep breaths! Thats it! Easy!

OK First, you don't need to pack for all contingency, ya just need enough to have a good time.

Now go look at my post from March 29th in the "Mercury 1720 Careening Camp" thread. it is on page 14. At the bottom you will find a basic list. It is alright to add a thing or two, but ask Silkie about bringing a few extra things. The less you bring (read, have to carry) the easier it will be to have fun.

There that wasn't so hard was it.

hmmmmmmmmm violence, humour, some kit...............Yep starting to sound like a pyrate event :mellow: