The Mercury, 1720 Clothing and Weapons

William Brand

This thread is provided to discuss period clothing for the 1720 Encampment at PIP. Examples of period clothing are welcome and encouraged from art, archeology and written descriptions.

We will begin by discussing the most basic needs for costume. Shirts and Slops.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll begin.

I am beginning my period costumes over the next few weeks. I'm hoping to buy patterns from Kass before week's end, including slop and shirt patterns, though I have two good shirts already. I am also commissioning a boarding axe from a close friend of mine. Later in the Spring I'll begin my waistcoat and a larger coat. I will be making a new hat this time around and giving my previous hat to my wife.

My expected list for this year if I can afford it all.

New hat

Boarding Axe

Period slops

New Waistcoat

Baldric

Cutlass

Pistol

Haversack

Sailor's bags

Additional blanket

and, um.....what does the shoe police say? Buckle shoes &stocking.... or Bucket boots? ;)

I just want to ge the fire going with this topic, and rock the boat (not pick on anyone in particular).

I am wearing shoes. Period shoes with replica buckles.

what does the shoe police say? Buckle shoes &stocking.... or Bucket boots?

We discussed bucket boots last year at PiP....

Basicaly... we wouldn't kick someone out of camp if they only had bucket boots....

Hey... someone spent the money befor they knew any better.... So if someone bought a pair of bucket boots, and can't afford to buy period buckle shoes, we'll let it slide.....

Inside the fort, the grass is soft enough to go without boots... so wearing them when walking into town, or for the battle (lots of rocks) we can "over-look"...

We were thinking of maybe banning them from the Careening Camp (well we wern't calling camp that yet...) but in about 5 years in the future....

We don't wanna be "shoe police"... but we also don't want to give the public the wrong impression ether..... and wer'e such easy going nice guys anyway........ So if someone only has a pair of bucket boots.... inside the Careening Camp... just go barefooted.....

There is NO Official descision on clothing standards Yet.... But wearing Bucket boots in the Careening Camp is Highly discouraged... Remember, we are trying to make the Camp as authentic and period as possible....

The boots question is so simple, especially for PIP. If you have already bought them, wear them. If you haven't bought them, buy shoes. And if you don't think the period shoes look great, than you've missed a lot of good pictures coming from the Gentlemen of Fortune, Archangel crew, Blackjohn, Foxe, Patrick and the other historical groups.

On another note, or rather the subject at hand, I just bought five patterns from Kass. New slops, waistcoats and a frock coat are in my future now. The handsewn question is still a question, but I will definately look the part of a pirate very soon.

I think one of the reasons that we don't need standards, is that all the participents in the Careening Camp WILL try to look as authentic as possible anyway... By next PiP, I will have a linen shirt (well maybe three of them) a wool waistcoat (with all those dang handsewn buttonholes) My coat, and hemp of linen trousers. I want to get a pair of straight last shoes to replace the crocked last one I bought (I'll wear-out the crocked lasted ones at other events...)

Also with the weather getting nicer, so it's easier to get into a proper Pyratical mood, I think there weii be more post on what should be worn, and the clothing projects that everyone is working on.... it should kinda inspire everyone to get out thier sewing stuff, and "get to work..."

And as everyone post what they are putting together, other Pyrates will want to fit in, so they will want to make thiere clothing as authentic as possible also....

Not that any of us are "show-offs" or anything...... but who would want to show up in the Careening Camp at PiP in a McCalls Jack Sparrow outfit when everyone else is in period clothing........

Oft times people mistakingly believe that conformity weakens their personalities or the special flavor they bring to pyracy. We all want to be a little unique or even larger than life. Yet in pyracy, you can dress two people in almost the exact period clothing and they will still let their personalities shine through. Often more so.

Example: You could dress Patrick and Jim in identical slops and shirts with little alteration in their waistcoats and shoes and they would still stand out as very unique and larger than life personalities, each with their own brand of 'color'. Pirates don't need to be vastly different to be utterly unique.

Any of you who might feel trepidation that your personalities might be limited by the limitations of period clothing will be surprised by the result of some of the general conformity. A little attention to accuracy allows us the ability to submerge ourselves in the 'feel' of it all. If it looks real, it feels real.

Look at the tens of thousands of Civil War reenactors who all look very similar.

Another example is Hurricane. Even when he is dressed as Henry Morgan, he doesn't go overboard. His overall costuming is relatively simple, but he lets his 'presence' shine through.

I would think about whom the overall event serves. Us pyrates...or the general public. 'Tis seems to me that the line is drawn between historical reenactment (like civil &Rev war events) vs. theatrics. I can't speak for everyone on this board I'm sure there area few of you out there that are of a theatrical personality, whether it be a street act, or the resident Disneyland pirate, in which case you'd have your own 'kit' (eyepatch included) to please the little pirates. Then comes the gang on historian side (Pyrate Breathren, et al.), who, lack of a better sentence, want to party like it's 1699 (or 1720). I will reserve my own opinion as to which side of the yardarm to take, other than to quote Rodney King's famous line. Perhaps it in the planning of the PIP event to decide where all this fits in. Seems to me that"1720 encampment" says it all.

SHIP2-1.jpg

On another note, or rather the subject at hand, I just bought five patterns from Kass.

Wow five of Kass's patterns! I've only got three so far and only one is likely to get to used this year. That is for a sleeved waistcoat for which I already have the wool and linen.

My shirt is linen and according to Kass "pretty much spot on" but for PIP I think I'll need a second.

I'll also need more socks.

Breeches are more F&I but that’s ok for now.

Shoes are terrible (from payless no less) but as it is a real big feat to fit my big feet, they may have to do. (no I’m not a poet, they aren’t “Long fellows” more like lunar lander pads)

I am thinking about a belt knife and I lost my earing at rf2.

Weapons are another story. My cutlass is mid 19 century, my dagger is mediaeval, and my firelock is a cheesy fake . Not sure what, but something needs to be done about all of them.

As for period camping gear I have none, but that belongs in another thread.

Fortunately the Kalamazoo living history trade show is this weekend.

Pirate - for battles If bodies are needed :lol:

1 Linen Shirt NEED

1 Pair Slops

Ring Belt

Murdock

Baldric NEED

Cutlass

Belt Knife

Rope sandals NEED

? -Waistcoat NEED

Business Woman :D

2 Linen Chemese NEED

1 Linen Petticoat

1 Woolen Petticoat NEED

1 StaysNEED

Straight Lath Shoes NEED

2 pair sox and garter

Cap NEED

Bodice NEED

Pockets NEED

Apron NEED

...and probably a few things I have yet to discover I need!

After Hours Good for Walking into the city and attracting attention of patrons for the next day :P

Remove cap, pockets and apron

Expose a shoulder

Add rouge, let a few more curls fall

Cocked hat with a plume or fringe. NEED

It's just called a cap Silkie. Super easy to make. I've got a link to an on-line pattern someplace if you need it.

My "needs" list doesn't seem as long since most of it is already done. Plus I'm just a girl, don't need all that weaponry stuff you guys cart around <_<

During hours:

another linen shift

actual garters to replace the scraps of wool I'm using

wool petticoat, safer around a fire (to hell with the heat)

Plus the tenting & ground cloth

& perfectly PC shoes if they are available before Nov.

After hours:

rum!

B)

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

in the process of making m' new waistcoat and frockcoat

having an insert placed in the heel of my buckle shoes to extend the life of the buggers should be ready next week

got the shirts ans slops that i need and the one pair o' breeches i'm taking <_< i'll probably think of something else i can't live without by then B)

wool petticoat, safer around a fire (to hell with the heat)

Use the right wool and it will be pretty cool. Um, as part of your pyrate thing I guess it will be cool whatever its made of. What I mean is you won't be hot. Um, maybe thats not what I mean either. Guess i'll quit now befor I dig this hole too deep.

• 3 weeks later...

Day? usually lower 80s, mayhaps more.

At night?? couple years ago got all the way down to 67, locals thought an ice age was coming.

Be warned however, this is an island over 100 miles from shore. humidity is high, breezes blow.

Ever get "R"-worded out?? rain? Aye, rained out? :ph34r:

Ever get "R"-worded out?? rain? Aye, rained out?

Last year, the rain was warm, like bath water...... so it wasn't a problem..... I just folded my linseed oiled ground cloth over everything inside my sail, and stayed dry.......

Of course, if it rained for longer than it did last year, it would take some adjusting to.....

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about the minimum clothing to bring.....

i Pr. buckle shoes

2 pr. socks (I'm thinking of sewing a seam up the back of them...)

1 pr. trousers (the cotton ones, but they will be clean to wear on the plane home)

1 pr. hemp slops (still gotta get the hemp and make them......)

3 linen shirts (two for at PiP, one for the trip home)

linen lined blue wool waistcoat. (still have to finish the handsewing.... and all those button holes)

Grey wool Slops Contract Jacket (I wanna replace the red cotton lining with red wool cotton lining... I'm not looking forward to re-doing the button holes tho.... I also have to get 15 brass buttons for it)

A neck cloth (I'm thinking I want to make it out of black silk... I know black and silk were both expensive.... but I'm thinking that it is only for a neckcloth.... otherwise, I'll just get some checkered linen)

I'm still thinking about what hat to use.... a cocked hat (I'd have to buy a better quality one.... or a knit cap)

I also need a more period correct belt and buckle....