The Mercury, 1720 Careening Camp

William Brand

OK, I'm not trying to be...

If you think I am wrong about something please let me know, perhaps I'll learn something. Thanks!

1728 is *after* the camp date

Thus, we need info from before then. The book said that before 1728 english warships were equipted with "a brick-built hearth with a single riveted copper boiler on top and a chimney." Now I don't care about the hearth or the chimney as they are staying aboard our make believe boat that is "just out of sight." What I do care about is that this indicates that there was not much cookware aboard ships in the GAoP. One large boiler is all they had. As opposed to say, six corn boilers, three dutch ovens, a couple of cauldrons, several fry pans and a civil war era tin cup. If everbody cooks for themselfs, this is what we will have and I don't feel it will be very authentic. It may be the best we can do, but it won't be authentic. Now, if we can get together and have one cook, or one cook per meal, or at least one person organizing the cooks mates, we can create a more period impression and use only one or a few large pots.

So would people rather cook as a group, or is it to be every one for themselfs?

Personaly, other than the authentic part, I don't much care as I like to eat in town.

Or is my impression of authentic mistaken? If so what should it be? Again now is the time to pick nits if we can't make it right atleast we will know were we can improve.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that it has been implied that there will be both group cooking and some individual cooking. Planning will increase as the time draws closer.

We should begin a list of camp items we need as a group that can vbe shared about. Example: One person buys a water bucket. A few people buy lanterns. I'll begin an inventory list as soon as people begin explaining kit and camp items they are bringing to PIP.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I believe that it has been implied....

HUH! :lol: sounds like assume to me

We should begin a list of camp items we need

Ok if we know a little bit more about what we are eating/cooking we will have more than an "implied belief" of what we need, and what is appropriate, to eat/cook it. Put that together with what Patrick has been saying in this thread about what we need, and what is appropriate, for camping, add some seasoning and a bit of Set dressing and we got us a pirate camp salad. I, um, mean list.

This goes back to Patrick's idea that while a copper corn boiler is more period appropriate than a tin mug, it isn’t really appropriate for a careening camp. However, if I am only cooking for myself I’d be a fool (well I’m going to be a fool no matter what) to bring 18 pounds of cast iron pot. Now, if I need to bring both the heavy pot and the inappropriate little expensive one, because one night I’m cooking for the group and other nights we are all cooking for ourselves, and the fire isn’t big enough for all those big pots, we go from fool to DAMN FOOL. We also need to be aware that PIP has a problem with no shows. So perhaps everyman for him self is really the only way to go no matter how unreal it is.

Group cooking?

Everyman for himself?

Something else?

Pardon the intrusion...

But wouldn't it be easier for one person to come up with the list of items that would be available on a ship for use on land. Then let individuals chime in on what they either have or want to bring.

As for cooking, you would need to decide where you were careened and how long you've been away from a major port. For example, if you're cooking steaks, that means a fresh supply of cows, since fresh beef in the tropics is only safe to eat for 12 hours at best. Would the place have cows? Did they belong to someone and you just helped yourself? You're out of the buccaneer era so that may be less likely. If you're on an island, what fruits and vegetables would have been available at the time, in addition to those aboard ship?

Point being, you'd build menus according to what you have available, plus the cookware and supplies you have on hand.

Again, I would create the list of what's available then go forward.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Admittedly, 'implied' isn't the right word...

i had planned to cook and cooking for a group isn't much more difficult than cooking for 2-3 ...i too was thinkng a stew or soup one night and chicken and greens for another eve could also do a couple of large meat pies woulld just need to know numbers to adjust the gear i bring
I'm going to make some hardtack soon and then put it away for six months prior to PIP, so we should have plenty of hardtack.
As for cooks, I think that we have a few. I have 20 years in the restaurant biz and a lifetime of outdoor cooking. I will be practicing in my backyard over the next few months and posting the results. Mostly stews, but roast fowl, fish and steaks as well.
I'm not a big resturant eater. Plus, well, I'm cheap & hate paying tourist location prices when I can hit the grocery for something for less. Though most of what I make is either stew or porrage. Easy enough to extend should others want to join me.
I'm more than willing to help around the fire.
I plan to do some late night cooking so that we have things to nibble on and sample while we talk away the long night watches.

We might also need a pot of continuosly bad coffee for those who are patrolling the camps.

I'm also cooking some bacon in whatever form I can get it from a butcher while I'm there. I don't camp lest there is bacon. I'm too used to getting up and starting the morning fires not to be rewarded with a little bacon.

I believe we have the makings of our kitchen staff, and in the interest of gathering equipment, I volunteer to buy a large iron tripod for hanging pots, unless some other ironware is preferred. I feel that if we offer at least one group meal a day, we could save a lot of money, so let us say that there will be one group meal a day. It wouldn't have to be the same meal every day, but we'll discuss that once we have a cook.

We have an open call for Ship's Cook. Anyone may volunteer or nominate another for the position.

so let us say that there will be one group meal a day. It wouldn't have to be the same meal every day, but we'll discuss that once we have a cook.

One group meal a day might work... maybe a kinda "light Lunch"......

So there would be something being cooked durring the day, and if someone wanted to go into town to eat , they could do so for dinner/Supper........

I think it should be something realy simple..... just something that can be boiled in a pot.... But if someone wants to do some fancy cooking, wellll that would be OK also.... But an SCA Banquite would be a bit over the top.......

Problims that I can see (hey we have time to figure this out...)

What do we want to cook out of....

What do we want to cook....

Any problems with food alergys

(we don't have any vegain Pyrates camping in the Careening Camp do we ?)

How do we pay for the food the cook is going to prepaire...

And who is going to "run" into town to go to the store to get the food....

Hey... I'm easy.... a pot of boiled meat and vegetables, some ship's buscuts, and I'm good to go.... B)

Some pot options...

http://www.cajunshoppe.com/cast4j.htm

And the six gallon pot...

http://www.cajunshoppe.com/cast5.htm

Lehman's makes sugar kettles, but they are a lot more...

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/de...7&iProductID=54

Or perhaps something a little more primative...

http://www.antiqaccents.com/ATQ105.html

Although my attendance will be in constant question until probably October or possibly even early November, I know that if I do attend I will be driving... And when ever I drive to a re-enacting/camping event, I always bring both my iron tripod setup and some cast iron skillets/pans... If they are needed, I'll lug them to camp, if they are not, they'll keep my van company.

Michael_banner.jpg

i already have the cast iron dutch oven12qt and i have had my eye on that 4 gal. jambalya pot as well ...so let's say i will bring those and a set of fire irons with spit cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif
Although my attendance will be in constant question until probably October or possibly even early November' date=' I know that if I do attend I will be driving... And when ever I drive to a re-enacting/camping event' date=' I always bring both my iron tripod setup and some cast iron skillets/pans... If they are needed, I'll lug them to camp, if they are not, they'll keep my van company.

Excellent. Then I will put my money towards something other than cooking gear. I'll consider buying some jugs and onion bottles perhaps. Or maybe a few lanterns.

I'm considering some lanterns for the encampment. This one is high on my list as a reproduction piece. Thoughts...?

cathlntrnback.jpg

These are very attractive to look at, but don't give much useable light. I think the type with the glass sides are more practical.

>>>>> Cascabel

These are very attractive to look at, but don't give much useable light. I think the type with the glass sides are more practical.

>>>>> Cascabel

I had wondered, as I've never used one. Thank you Cascabel. And thank you, Michael. I shall delve into that thread.

Actully, they do throw out enough light to get around after dark...... glass pained one throw out more.... and neither is as bright as one of those icky Cloman lanterns....

A peirced tin lantern has some interesting advantages.....

They are simple enough to make yourself....(they don't have to be watertight....)

They Don't have any glass to break......(something to think about if your packing and flying to PiP)

Of course, just as an experiment, you could get a coffee can (or something simular).... pound some holes through it with a nail.... attach a bailing wire handle, and see how it works for yourself.....

I messed up on the last one I made, and used a drill to make the holes..... so I'll be making a new one for next PiP, and punching the holes with a nail, so they won't be so large... I made mine so it would fit inside of my tankard that was attached to my haversack as carry-on when I flew out ....

Dang.... another "how-to" post that I have to write-up now.........

I may buy only one pierced lantern I think. As for the thread regarding lighting, most of it covers lights sources such as open flames (i.e., candles, oil lamps, etc.) while I need horn pane lanterns and glass lanterns from the period to look as if we brought them off of the Mercury.

Any sources would be helpful and I am placing this question in the lamps and lighting thread.

I'm considering some lanterns for the encampment. This one is high on my list as a reproduction piece. Thoughts...?

Practical note of caution. I bought a "ships lantern" last weekend much like the one in your picture but with flat glass for one side. Got home and tried a candle in it. Had to open the windows from the smell of burning oil. Turns out the lantern was made of steel not tin which is very shinny. I have a bad feeling that with the oil burned off that steel won't last long in the Key West air. Not to mention that I don't believe steel to be period. So if you buy one, look for metal that is bright and not dull (the one in the picture looks dull) or try a magnet.

Are a few lanterns enough? or should we all try to have one? Long way to that head. Might even be pirates lurking about in the dark down there. ;)

William, as cookware is taken care of, and lanterns may be a personal thing, what about a fire bucket or two??

i already have the cast iron dutch oven12qt and i have had my eye on that 4 gal. jambalya pot as well ...so let's say i will bring those and a set of fire irons with spit

COOL you found a way to help with dinner and mind your store at the same time. B)

One group meal a day might work... maybe a kinda "light Lunch"

Dinner at that time was, the main meal of the day, the only meal served aboard ship I believe, and eaten about one or two o’clock. So our arrangement is “period.” SUPER COOL :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As to what we will eat and who will cook it, I think we can wait till we are in Key West to decide. That big dutch oven can cook lots of things. If somebody has an idea to cook something it can't, then they should bring what they may need.

Three additions if I may?

1)A kettle of hot water in the morning for tea, cocoa, magic porridge, or magic(instant) coffee?

2)Anyone needing to cook “after hours” need not worry about authentic cookware? (it is not cheap)

3)do we need a cap of say $7 or so on donations needed per meal?

short aside

2. from what I've read bale's were removable (hooking into the rim of the pot rather than attached to holes in the side) & I haven't had a lot of luck finding that feature on a modern pot.

Is this what you mean? kettles with removable bails?

They also have Fancy bails for above

and now back to topic!

Practical note of caution. I bought a "ships lantern" last weekend much like the one in your picture but with flat glass for one side. Got home and tried a candle in it. Had to open the windows from the smell of burning oil. Turns out the lantern was made of steel not tin which is very shinny. I have a bad feeling that with the oil burned off that steel won't last long in the Key West air. Not to mention that I don't believe steel to be period. So if you buy one, look for metal that is bright and not dull (the one in the picture looks dull) or try a magnet.

Aye, and I'm already searching along those lines. In fact, Historical Enterprises makes a nice brass lantern with a horn pane window for $29.95...

product_216.jpg

Are a few lanterns enough? or should we all try to have one? Long way to that head. Might even be pirates lurking about in the dark down there. ohmy.gif

If several people could bring two lanterns, one to keep and one to donate, it would be appreciated. Most of the lanterns owned by the fort are of a much later period. I do recommend them for any pirate on the night watches.

William, as cookware is taken care of, and lanterns may be a personal thing, what about a fire bucket or two??

We actually discussed this at length before the last PIP, but the conversation stalled due to heated opinions rising from wooden banded buckets versus iron banded ones. Still, we should certainly have one. Did we have buckets near the fire this last year? The year before I brought a canvas bucket for fire safety.

I remember something about wood vs. Iron banded BARRELS, didn’t know it was about buckets too. ;) Really a shame as period or not we should have something, even if its an ABC under canvas.

After seeing the price of buckets, I regret asking that you buy one. I didn’t think they were that expensive. I also think that maybe we should donate them to the fort. That way they will be there for whoever needs them for camp fires (not cannon cleaning?) in the future. It might be cheapest to buy a 5 gallon barrel and cut it into two buckets? I kinda draw the line at “Rubbermade.”

I remember something about wood vs. Iron banded BARRELS, didn’t know it was about buckets too. ;) Really a shame as period or not we should have something, even if its an ABC under canvas.

After seeing the price of buckets, I regret asking that you buy one. I didn’t think they were that expensive. I also think that maybe we should donate them to the fort. That way they will be there for whoever needs them for camp fires (not cannon cleaning?) in the future. It might be cheapest to buy a 5 gallon barrel and cut it into two buckets? I kinda draw the line at “Rubbermade.”

I think I can swing the price on the bucket, so I'll take that one in addition to a lantern or two. Out of curiosity, where were you looking at buckets?

Located these tin lanterns, thought you might be interested in taking a look. I think it's a great idea to get some to donate to the fort. Tony and I will get 2 lanterns each, and donate 1 each to the fort. Let us know if these work, I like the personal tin or the ships double, or post which ones you all are getting and where to find them. Thanks, Fayma

www.ushist.com/set-dressing/lanterns_candle.htm

Out of curiosity, where were you looking at buckets?

Forgot were 2gal wood $149

G Gedney Godwin 2 gal wood $145

Jas Townsend 2gal wood $80, 2 gal tin $20

Smoke & fire 2 gal wood $48, 2gal brass $75

Panther Primitives 2gal wood $45, brass $50, tin $52 5gal barrel $86

note panthers prices are going to change soon!