The Mercury, 1720 Careening Camp

William Brand

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am definately planning on cooking this year. Simple stuff, stews and maybe steaks. Roast a bird maybe. Grilled veggies, corn on the cob. I will be practicing in my back yard until then. One meal every other weekend gives me 28 practice sessions to renew my pit skills.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I would suppose that most of us would be. For my own part, the character history that I have for my persona is one of a merchant who, caught in the act of operating a smuggling ring was forced to flee on the ship of one of his “business” partners. A wanted man ashore (killed one of the King’s men escaping) I took to the sea, learning the ropes and becoming a valuable seaman. But as a merchant I also spoke the language of trade and helped boost the ship’s earnings by shrewd bargaining ashore. My knowledge of bookkeeping elevated me to Quartermaster. A natural tactician, I was eventually elected Captain when our Captain was mortally wounded ashore.

Of course for the Mercury, I would be willing to just be an able seaman, forced by circumstance and/or greed into Pyracy. Keeping the stories simple is usually best.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have been away so long, not been feeling well. I talked to Foxe at RF a couple weeks ago, and he had some good suggestions about doing a careening camp. So...

:lol:

The year is 1720. On a small subtropic isle, the crew of the sloop Mercury, after sleeping off the spending of their profits at the Feral Cock, is beginning the unpleasant business of preparing their vessel for a more profitable "unpleasant business". As Mercury's hull is in need of Careening, the crew has made camp ashore. The camp looks a bit military, with all the tents, weapons, and provisions about. A strange military though, where discipline is not just lacking, but actually scorned. The tents are not uniform, but of all types and sizes, from marquees to cobbled together bits of spare or recycled canvas and wood that all but defy the description "tent." Why, one of the wall tents looks to be using pieces of a broken oar for its poles. Also, the tents are not in neat little rows separated by task and rank, but set haphazardly around a small carefully watched fire. Men who spend their days aboard floating tinder boxes have a great respect for the danger of a spark, and thus two large buckets of water are at the hand. The fire is flanked by two tripods of wooden poles lashed together with rope and supporting a pole from which cooking pots are hung. Also evident is that each of the crew has a Sea Chest, not just to stow their stuff, but also used as chairs and tables etc. These range from almost create like, to fine furniture.[/I]

:lol:

So far all we need is a few poles, some rope, and a good book on knots.

It would also be a great help if we had some good info on sea chest.

I'll avoid mention of the flag for now, but it may sneek in later.

Sea Chest, not just to stow their stuff,

OUCH... I was thinking about building a sea chest to transport all of my stuff to PiP.... but a few problems pop up....

would a period sea chest survive the airport baggage handlers?

and how much more would I have to pay for the weight of the sea chest and all of the stuff in it (above what I'm allowed to take...)

I haven't totaly decided (or given up on the idea yet) ... still thinking about it.... but they are concerns for those (most) of us that are flying into PiP

I think we are off to a good start... we want to make as period of a camp as we can... how much Hollywood do we let slip (for the pourpose of educating the public (dang that just dosen't type out right...( so give me a little slack on that one)) And MOST inportantly how can we have the maximume fun doing it all right. correct... and just so damn well that Alla the Angels in Heaven wish they could play also...... (rum helps on that last bit....)

would a period sea chest survive the airport baggage handlers?

and how much more would I have to pay for the weight of the sea chest  and all of the stuff in it (above what I'm allowed to take...)

I would think that a sea chest would be about the most durable luggage you could hope for. Still, given the chance, the airlines could break a cannon barrel.

Most airlines allow 2 checked bags of max 62in l+w+h, 50lbs each plus your carry ons. (spirit now only allows one so check your airline) So as long as your not bringing said cannon barrel you should be OK. Examples of the 62in max would be 20x20x22 or 16x16x30 or about 3 times the size of a large carry on. For some reason, I am havin' a hard time picturin' you carrin' all that from the bus to the fort. :lol:

If your oversized they nail you $100, $50 for overweight.

For a bit more safety make it a bit smaller and put it in a box with some peanuts and/or bubble wrap. Or, just ship it to Harry, saves you that long carry.

Now that We can get it there how do we build or buy one? :blink:

When and where does all this happen? :lol:

Capt. William

The where is Key West. Florida. The festival takes place all over the key, but the buccaneer camp and careening camp are in Fort Zachary Taylor out on the Southernmost point of the Key. Specific updates and information can be found here and on the website for the Festival at...

http://www.piratesinparadise.com/

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Oars may be used as tent poles for any one of these tents.  Since cost and shipping can be an issue, let us look at home made oar options...

Why not get drunk and murder a few small trees?

They're cheap, period, and look great

Gregory_Theberge01.jpg

Photo by Gregory Theberge

wintertent.jpg

Photo unknown

-CS

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

one small problem with that is key west is a highly populated island and doesn't have a lot of spare saplings about ,,,and i'm sure that the cutting of some individuals landscaping would get some pirate thrown into the local jail

:o:o:o

the preceding was just in my humble opinion :o:o:o

^ Aye but only if some pirate gets caught :o:o:o

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Well after much deliberation I and my wife are going to be joining the careening camp. We were going to try and get some clothes and hats made but alas I believe buying a house has to come first.

So with that out of the way I wanted to get more involved with the discussion and ask, what kind of "set decoration" might we need? We will most likely be driving from Orlando. I plan on renting a car for the drive so I probably bring down some bigger items. What kind of crates and boxes might we need? Just let me know I'll try to see if I can make them. Just let me know!

Oars may be used as tent poles for any one of these tents.  Since cost and shipping can be an issue, let us look at home made oar options...

Why not get drunk and murder a few small trees?

They're cheap, period, and look great

-CS

The above photos of the crude lashed together shelters look great... and that is definately the way I would camp at PiP.... But.... Assuming I can make it of course, I will most likely be attending with my girlfriend and a bit of privacy would be needed at the very least, although in light of her "need" for creature comforts, something that looks crude and authentic(ish) as the above samples do, but closes completely for privacy, ad possibly is spacious enough for a double sized air matress would be ideal...

Anyone have suggestions or ideas for something that may suit my needs. I'm guessing there may be others attending with similar needs. I've seen some posts (I wish I could remember on which thread thread) of the larger tents some people would use for this type of event, and I may go that route should an option more suited to my tastes and needs provide itself... I just so want to take it more to the rough and tumble while still maintaining m'ladies comfort... I'm not asking for too much here am I? B)

Michael_banner.jpg

Well after much deliberation I and my wife are going to be joining the careening camp. We were going to try and get some clothes and hats made but alas I believe buying a house has to come first.

Cool... One of the reasons that we started this thread (and so early) is so we could get the information on clothing, shelter, and camp goods avalible so everyone attending has plenty of time to get everything together....

Right now, the "Winter Blaaas have kinda set in, (well at least for me) but I'm guessing that by Spring, there will be a lot more post on "how-to -do things"

I'm planing on writting a few atricles, such as how to make a ditty or sea bag, and how to make a waterproof ground cloth.... There will also be discussions on clothing and how to set-up a tarp for shelter (a lot cheaper than buying a tent...)

A lot of the stuff needed is not expensive, if you make it yourself, and with plenty of time, it allows "shopping around" to find stuff at a good price.....

Some things needed in camp are already avalible, such as tent poles.... if the Camp gets much larger, we may have to get some more.... (but that is in the future...)

We also have all Spring and Summer to look around at yard sales and such for interesting items that can be used for "set dressing"....

I know I keep saying this..... but 2007 will only be the third year with camping inside of the Fort, the last two years, the only discussions about the camping were..."who was going to attend".... This year should be even better with suficent prior planning.......

The above photos of the crude lashed together shelters look great... and that is definately the way I would camp at PiP.... But.... Assuming I can make it of course, I will most likely be attending with my girlfriend and a bit of privacy would be needed at the very least, although in light of her "need" for creature comforts, something that looks crude and authentic(ish) as the above samples do, but closes completely for privacy, ad possibly is spacious enough for a double sized air matress would be ideal...

Anyone have suggestions or ideas for something that may suit my needs. I'm guessing there may be others attending with similar needs. I've seen some posts (I wish I could remember on which thread thread) of the larger tents some people would use for this type of event, and I may go that route should an option more suited to my tastes and needs provide itself... I just so want to take it more to the rough and tumble while still maintaining m'ladies comfort... I'm not asking for too much here am I? B)

Creature comforts are an understandable necessity so you simply have to consider camoflauge. Canvas painter's drop cloths would easily hide a matress. You might also consider deflating it during the day, if it simply looks too obvious, but I dount you would have to. a little practical decoration for such things is fine. We could aldo hide your matress under canvas with the "Stores".

one small problem with that is key west is a highly populated island and doesn't have a lot of spare saplings about ,,,and i'm sure that the cutting of some individuals landscaping would get some pirate thrown into the local jail

B)B)B)

the preceding was just in my humble opinion B)B)B)

Aye. No jail time, unless your looking for a way to complete the whole pirate experience.

Fort Zachary Taylor is on government funded property, bu there is a limited amount of hurricane damaged branches and trees each year which we might have access to. Even then, Harry has a number of poles in storage at the fort already, which I'm certain he will let you use.

Just some thoughts on tent poles.....

The Fort already has some that they let us use....

But 2x2s are cheap, and there is a hardware store in town..... I was thinking of bringing a jack plaine with me so I could shape some poles.... maybe an "expidition" to the hardware store, and we could add to the Fort's Supply of tent poles...

If we ask really nicely..... maybe we could get Capt. Jim, and other Pyrates that are driving down, to bring along some extra poles (cut sapplings) that could be added to the Fort's tent pole supplies.....

Something else that would be handy.... An old hammer and some extra metal tent steaks (the gound inside the fort (under the grass) is hard...)

I fly in, so I can bring my sail/tarp, rope and tent steaks, but have to borrow tent poles.... there are enough people in the fort so borrowing a hammer isn't a problem.... but it might come in handy... the same with a few "emergancy" tent steaks......

Creature comforts are an understandable necessity so you simply have to consider camoflauge. Canvas painter's drop cloths would easily hide a matress. You might also consider deflating it during the day, if it simply looks too obvious, but I dount you would have to. a little practical decoration for such things is fine. We could aldo hide your matress under canvas with the "Stores".

As I am still pretty new to pirate re-enacting and am still getting my first set of kit together, I was thiking that I would keep my tent/shelter or whatever firmly closed and sealed at all times...

Further down the road after I have gotten all of my personal kit together and am at the point where I am working on camp accoutrements, then I would try to hide or conceal the air matress and leave the tent open.

I guess I have been running on an assumption here. In another period of re-enactment that I do, the rule for camps/tents is basically:

"If your tent is closed and always remians so, put whatever you want inside of it (including obviously modern stuff), if you plan to have your tent open/viewable, make sure everything inside is period accurate or camoflauged to look so."

Is that type of cnvention being used for the PiP encampment? Or is there too much of a concern of the audience possibly peeping into closed tents to go this route?

Michael_banner.jpg

Comming into this thread late....

Anyone got pics of the near by fort or past event pics??

Just curious B)

Rats

There are several threads with pics on the Pirates in Paradise Festvial forum. Here is the link to the pics I took in 2005. Jim Warren did excellent slideshows last year and the year before.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/Wil...aradise%202005/

Comming into this thread late....

Anyone got pics of the near by fort or past event pics??

Just curious B)

Rats

Pics? You want PICS? B)

GADS, how many do you want? Tony Callahan was on site, and shot in the realm of 5,000 images. :) There are a few below ~

http://www.callahandigitalart.com/photocart/

Still setting up

DSCF23291.jpg

DSCF23281.jpg

Cannon training (hey, who's that?)

DSCF2492.jpg

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

There are several threads with pics on the Pirates in Paradise Festvial forum. Here is the link to the pics I took in 2005. Jim Warren did excellent slideshows last year and the year before.

William, were you in attendance at PiP 2006? Thought I might have shared our bottle of Tattoo with you and some of the other folk gathered round, singing with guitar accompaniment, but, it was dark that night - all I saw was a red goatee ~

Mary

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!