Dead Rose

Black Anne Rose

:lol:Dead Rose

A Pirate's Romance

Intro

The story Dead Rose is a mixture of all kinds of pirate stories I read, with different names and a personal twist. Though my inspiration came from different stories, I still made the story myself. Please, do NOT copy it and claim it as yours. Yes, the main character is the very same person as my account. The story is much older then the account, and I made the account to honour the character. Some of the places or towns are also made up by me, and don't really excist. The reason why I made them up, and not just used real towns, you can read at my interests. Enjoy the story and respond, if you like!

(The story begins in a new post, wich could take some minutes writing)

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

And as my heart, the rose wasn't dead.

:lol:Chapter One:

Abandoned

Anne Rose was a happy, rich merchant's daughter who lived in a big house in the town of Jameson. Her mother died at her birth, and she was the only child, so she was left alone with her father. Her father loved her very much, though she was a girl. He always trusted Anne would take over the company as soon as he'd be unable to lead the company. Her father sold cacaobeans from the Caribbean, and had a few ships. They were living in a big house at the docks, so her father could see his ship sailing away or sailing into port. He taught his daughter how to write and read, taught her the name of the ships, what they were transporting, where they were going and showed her the most beautiful maps he had. Anne wasalways curious and excited about it, and always wanted to learn more. Though her father tried his best, she wasn't very lady-like. She hated to wear big dresses and always wore short skirts wich were easy to walk in and fitted good. Her father tried to force her into a dress, but didn't really mind when she refuses. It actually made him laugh. Anne was always playing with other kids on the docks. Most of them were poor, sons of widows or labourors. Isaac, the blacksmith's son. John, the shoemaker's son. Ivyrn, the fisherman's son. Reynald, the innnkeeper's son. William, Reynald's little brother. He was a cute kid. And Edward. He was one of the richer ones, being a banker's son. Anne's father was planning their marriage from the moment they met each other. But Anne and Edward didn't want to marry each other. Anne liked the guy, but sometimes he was just so selfish and arrogant. And then there was James. James and Anne were best friends. James was a tailor's son. He had two little twin-sisters and a small brother. They always had financial problems,but because Annés fatherliked James' parentsand bought a lot of clothes at their shop, he always donated some money to them. But they kept having problems. James always looked happy, but deep in his eyes Anne could see he had a lot of sorrow. James was two years older then Anne.

On Anne's eleventh birthday James came over

"Hi James!" Anne said. James smiled and waved.

"I was saving money to buy you a present, but I don't have enough yet." he said. "Mind if I give it to you a bit later?"

"Ofcourse, silly," Anne laughed. They celebrated all night, and Anne noticed she began to feel different about James lately. She believed she was falling in love with him... No! she said to herself. He's my best friend! I can't fall in love with him! But deep in her heart she did. A month or two after her birthday, James and Anne met each otherat their secret hide-out. James was looking sad.

"What's wrong?" Anne asked. James sighed.

"Father's sick." he answered. "The doctor says it's an incurable. Mother says he's just a quack. A way too expensive quack. But we have to do something for father..." It almost looked like he was going to cry. But then he smiled.

"What kind of disease does your father have?" Anne asked. James thought deeply.

"Canter or something... or canfer... or..."

"Cancer?"

"Probably..." He looked at Anne. They looked each other deeply in the eyes for a couple of minutes. Then James looked in the other direction. "I'd really rather stay here and play, but I have to go back home. I came here to tell you... " James said.

"That's ok." Anne said. "Go."

A week later James' father died, and his mother got depressed. being the eldest, James hadtodoeverything in the housekeeping, now hismother was inconsolable. Anne helped him every day and she asked someofher housekeepers to help too.

"I really appreciate your help, Anne," James said, while bringing some mugs to the kitchen. "But you really don't have to. I can handle it on my ow-" He dropped a mug. Anne smiled.

"Seems not." she answered, and she cleaned up the mess. James laughed.

A couple of weeks later, Anne came to James' home to help him wash some clothes. When she didn't found him at the shop, wich was also their home, she asked Lily, oneof James' sisters where he was. Lily looked up from a book where all the prices of their clothes were written in. When she saw Anne, a sad expression appeard on her face.

"Upstairs." she said, and she immediatly left the room with the book. When Anne came upstairs she found James packing his stuff.

"James?" James startled and looked at the door.

"Oh, it's you." he said, and he continued packing. Anne stepped forward.

"What are you doing?" she asked. Stupid question, she said to herself. I know what he's doing.

"Packing." James answered.

"Why?" Tears were swelling up in her eyes. She already knew the answer. He was going to leave her. James sighed.

"We have financial problems." he said. "We've always had. And we always will have. Because I'm the eldest, I have to bring in some money."

"No..." Anne said softly, more to herself then to James.

"I took a job at the East India Trading Company. I'm leaving today"

"But why?" Anne said desperatly. "You don't have to go! My father could give you money! We have got enough! He really wouldn't mind to-"

"I know," James said. "He already offered it. But... mother declined." James packed some last clothes.

"I wanted to give you something." he said, and he took a box from his closet. "Remember the present I promissed you? I finally got enough money. Here..." He handed over the box. It was a black velvet box. Anne openedit. There was a rose, made out of glass in it. Anne took it out carefully and inspected it from all sides.

"It's beautiful..." she began to cry. "Why do you have to go?"

"I have to," James said sadly. "But I promisse I'll visit you after each journy. I'll bring you gifts and souvenirs from each place we visit." Anne wanted to smile, but she couldn't.

"What if you're to far away?" she asked.

"I won't be." James said. "No matter if we end up at world's end, I will come. But will you waitfor me here?"

"Ofcourse I will... silly." she answered. James smiled. He took her in his arms. They stood therefor acouple of minutes, when they were interrupted by the sound of shouting men outside.

"I have to go now." James said, and he picked up his bag and walked away. Anne stood iin the middle of the room, crying, with still the rose in her hands. After a while she ran to the window. She look over the docks, looking for James.

"Wait!" she shouted. James was standing on the gangway. He looked up to the window, looked at Anne, looked at her for one last time... then he turned around and entered the ship's deck.

"No, wait!" Anne shouted again. "I love you..."

Crying she ran back to home. She ran upstairs to her room. Her father stood up from his chair.

"Anne..."

"No father!" and she shut the door to her room.

It took a couple of days before the wind blew into the proper direction. The Goldfish was about to leave, carrying James away from Anne. When Anne was looking for a rose in her garden, she saw a very special rose. Usually, roses grow individually. But on one of the stems there grew two roses. She plucked it, and walked to the docks. The Goldfish already sailed out, heading to the horizon, but Anne could still see it. She pulled out all the leaves from one of the roses and threw them into the sea. The other rose she kept for herself. James was gone, and so was her hapiness...

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

Sorry for the grammatical mistakes, I'm not English myself ((Flying) Dutc(man) :lol: ) and most of them are just typing mistakes. Besides, me space bar isn't working properly anymore :'(

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

gammer happens as it happens lass,

thank ye kind fer sharing yer tale :huh:

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

:lol:Chapter 2:

The Rose Wasn't Dead

Looking at the rose made out of glass cost her pain.

So many memories were coming back...

Anne was staring through her window to the horizon. There was knocking on the door. Without waiting for a responce, Anne's father opened the door.

"Anne?" he asked.

"Yes?" said Anne, without looking up.

"Why are you so sad these days?" her father asked. "Is it about the boy?" Anne didn't answer for a moment. Then she sighed.

"Yes," she said softly.

"But the other boys are still here!" her father said. "You can play with them! Go play with Ivyrn, or Reynald or William... or Edw-"

"I don't want to play with Edward!" she answered angry. "I don't want to play with Ivyrn, or Reynald, or William! I don't want to play at all! All I want is James to return." She began to cry.

"I love him, father." she cried. Her father sighed. He tried to console her. He was troubled. He just couldn't forbid real love, and he could see it was real love. But he also couldn't allow that his daughter, that HIS daughter loves a poor tailor's son. No, worse. A poor sailor! But also he didn't want to break his daughter's heart. He gave Anne hope, while he was praying to the god of the sea for the boy not to come back.

The months that followed Anne's father did everything to make Anne look like a lady. She wore big fancy dresses, corsets, earrings, necklaces and other beautiful kind of jewelry.

"Gold is cold." she said to her father when he gave her a golden necklace.

"But what about diamonds?" he asked. "I mean, look at this ruby. Look at the heart! Isn't it beautiful?" Anne took a quick look at the heart.

"It has no heart." she answered. "It's just a big, cold, empty space."

It took a long time, but when Anne's father was satisfied with her new look, he went down to the bigger cities to find some rich youngmen. He introduced them all to Anne. Robert Ficher, Richard Gildon, Johnathan Lewis... Anne wasn't interested in any of them. Her true love was her James Black... Everyday she walked on the docks, walking to places were they used to play. Walking passed his home... His mother was really in a bad condition. She was sick too, and she became even sicker everyday. They were running out ofmoney quickly, and no matter how much money Anne's father offered, they kept refusing it. But then, ona cold day in December, the family had to leave their home. They were going to rebuild the house. Anne watched how the tailor's board was carried away. "Black and sons, tailors since 1650" The Black family got to stay in Anne andher father's house. As a thanks, they did the householding for them. Every morning Lily and Mary chose a beautiful dress for Anne to wear. They brushed her hair, washed her clothes, cleaned her room. Anne appreciated their company, but she still felt lonely. Every day she sat in front of her window, watching out over the sea, staring at the horizon. When would he come back? She didn't know. Lily and Mary were hoping it for her, but weren't sure if he'd actually come. They were three years younger then Anne. Three years after James left, when Anne was fourteen, James' sisters officially gave up hope. James' little brother Marty, who was nine, had never thought James would come back. But Anne didn't gave up hope. Because she was so obsessed with the question wether James would come back or not, she never took any care of the rose she plucked the day he left. Anne had never given it any water, and it was dry and dead. But the dead rose never dropped a leaf. After three years, it was still standing in it's vace. Dry, burned by the sun and dead but with all it's leafs. Then, a year later, on a cold december night, something special happened. Anne couldn't sleep. She had a strange feeling, but she didn't know what it was. Shestood up, put on her nightrobe and walked to the window. She noticed a small hole in the courtain. Mary will fix that in the morning,Anne thought. There was a small stroke of moonlight falling through the hole, and it fell exactly on top of the dead rose by the window. Anne looked closer to the rose. How strange... Anne thought. The rose... The dead rose... it's... it's coloured deeply red!. She spent whole night studying the rose, until there was knocking on the door.

"Come in!" Anne said. Lily was standing in front of the door.

"Anne," she said exhausted. Shewas still in her nightrobe. "Come quickly!"

"What's wrong?" Anne asked, while she and Lily were running down the stairs. Lily opened the front door, took Anne's hand and pulled her into the morning light. Together they ran to the docks. Lily pointed to a big black frigate.

"P-pirates?" Anne asked confused?

"No," Lily replied. "Even better." A hansome youngman left the grand frigate. He looked to the two girls.

"James?!" The man smiled.

"James!" Anne had never felt so happy. He had come back. He kept his promisse.

Dead Rose

James Black, the black-hearted boy,

Coloured my heart black,

Took iton a ship, to the horizon, away,

With even the slightest chance, so they say,

For the black-hearted boy to come back.

Giving me a rose, to replace the heart,

So I wouldn't bleed to death, to go insane,

Healing was what it was meant for,

But instead of healing, it cost me pain,

And made me bleed, even more.

A dying rose, just by the window,

Burned by the sun, coloured black,

Probably the only one who didn't know,

That for the blackh-hearted boy there was no coming back.

But when the moon rises,

The sky colours black,

The rose suddenly brightens,

And the black-hearted boy was coming back.

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

• 4 weeks later...

:lol:Chapter 3:

Shattered

James and Anne were walking through Jameson.

"Tell me what happened," Anne said. "I want to hear the whole story!" James smiled.

"The WHOLE story?" he laughed. "Well, let's find a place to sit then. What has become of the local inn?"

"Reynald ownsit now," Anne replied. "Together with William." They entered the Musketier's Inn. Reynald was standing behind the bar and William was serving drinks. When the door opened they both looked exactly at the same moment to the door. When the saw James, Reynald began to smile and William forgot hihs costumers and ran towards Anne and James, leaving his astonished customers behind. William guided them to a nice table, told Reynald to come and sit and orderd one of the waitressesto take over their job for a couple of minutes.

"James!" Reynald smiled. "You Black Beast! I thought you was never coming back!" James smiled, orderd some rum and began to tell.

"Well, we setted sail to India on The Goldfish. In the beginning it went well. I was a hard-worker and they admired me for my sailingsskills. I became a navigator's student and he taught me almost everything. My lessons were almost over, and I'd be the only non-officer who completly knew how to navigate. It felt good. Nobody hated me, most of them really admired me! But then after a year facing all kinds of trouble, espacially piracy, and always surviving them, there suddenly came a storm, and The Goldfish sunk..." They kept silence for a moment.

"But i thought fish floated." William suddenly said. Everybody looked at him, and he turned red. Anne couldn't help it anymore and she bursted out in laughing. Then Reynald and James laughed too.

"Yes, that's exactly what our captain thought too," James grinned. "But turns out not to be. Anyway, we got shipwreck. I've been floating on a piece of wood for days, hungry and exhausted. I was lucky when there was just an innocent fish swimming by my legs who wasn't prepared for my quick tailor's hands. I was so hungry I ate it raw-" They all shivered. "- but I couldn't eat it different ofcourse, seeing I was floating on a piece of wood."

"So you did flo-" William started, but was interrupted by Reynald giving him a box on the ears.

"Yes, I floated." James smiled. "After I think... a week or so I got picked up by a ship. It was a black Grant Frigate with black sails... I was afraid it was a pirate ship, but had no other choice then to board the ship. But they turned out not to be pirates. It was a disguise so others would leave them alone. They were innocent merchant sailors with letters of marquee. But the sailors on The Mermaid, as so the ship was called, were much more experienced sailors and weren't really astonished of my skills. Though, when the first mate died, Captain Shepperd, who still is my captain, named me first mate. Johnson, Captain Shepperd, became a good friend of mine. Ah, Johnson. A good guy. Though we sometimes disagree if it comes to navigation, we're very close friends. He'd never betray me, and I'd never betray him." They kept silence.

"But, how could you possibly stay away four years?" Anne asked. "If that's all what happened, then that Shepperd guy must be having a very slow ship." It came out a bit more insulting than she had wanted to. But James wasn't insulted at all. He smiled.

"The Mermaid," he continued. "was on her way to Singapore. They gave me the choice to return home when we got there, but they were heading back to England, and they promised me some more salary if I'd come with them. So I did. But because of a small mistake of the second mate, we sailed to the Caribbean."

"And nobody knew it?" Reynald asked.

"I did. But Johnson didn't believe me. As I said before, we don't always agree..." James kept silence. "He finally believed me when we set foot on land. Only it was a bit too late. O well, our way back to England went great, and so I got home." Everybody was deeply impressed by James' story. He drank his beer and then asked: "What has become of my mother? And Marty? And Lily and Mary?" He looked hopefully at Anne.

"They ran out of money," Anne sighed. "and now they live at my home. Father was only willing to offer his house to them if they'd work for him. Mary and Lily are our... maids." James looked at Anne.

"I'm sorry James... My fath-"

"It's ok Anne." James said. "I was expecting it a bit. Just didn't hope that... O well, it doesn't matter."

“And your mother… she’s very sick.” Anne applied. “Dying, actually… But she lies in a good bed with a nurse taking good care of her. The town’s doctor visits her once a week.”

They all kept silence. Though, Anne was not a mind reader, she knew he was thinking of his father.

“Do you know... what the disease is called?” James asked. Anne shook her head. It was quiet for a couple of moments. After a while, James quickly hid one of his tears. Then he suddenly brightened.

“Let’s think of something else.” he said. “I came back not to be reminded to all the sad things in the world.”

They all drank a lot of beer and rum. The evening was falling and the Inn was about to close. But just a couple of minutes before closing time the door swung open. Reynald stood up.

“I’m sorry sir, we’re clo-” Anne’s father came in and looked around. His eye fell on the table they were all sitting at. Then he saw James. He became a bit angry. Deep inside he was furious.

“You…” he whispered.

“Hello sir.” James said.

“… you!”

Candles were flickering. Servants were walking in and out with plates with loads of delicious food. Two of the three people were eating quietly. The other one was observing one of them with a slight touch of anger in his eyes. James tried to be as polite as possible, but though Anne’s father had done a lot for him and his family, he knew Anne’s father was deeply disappointed he had come back. That made him angry. He was doing his hardest best not to insult him. But he didn’t do it. For Anne. He had thought every day of her. He missed her so… The room was awfully quiet.

“Ehm… James got promoted to a very high rank.” Anne said after a moment.

“Oh yes, I saw your black ship at the docks.” Anne’s father answered. “But why black?”

There was a painful moment when James and Anne were looking at each other.

“Well, I a-actually I don’t own the ship.” James answered. “I-I’m first mate. Not a captain.”

“Ooh, not sorry very high ranked then after all” Anne’s father said with a mean tone in his voice.

“Father!” Anne said angrily.

“But I don’t believe it was the answer to the question I asked.” Anne’s father continued. “Why black?”

“Many reasons for that, sir.” James answered. He began to explain it was a pirate disguise, and that they would be invisible at night, so they could sail through enemies’ areas.

“We escaped the French many times at night.” James said. “All because of our black ship.”

They discussed many things that evening. James was being very polite against Anne’s father, and Anne was very proud of him. But her father kept being mean to James, and sometimes he even ignored James when he was talking. After the dinner, James got to stay in his little brother Marty’s room, who went to London to trade cacao beans for Anne’s father. When Anne’s father went to bed, Anne sneaked out of her room to James’ room. It’s like James read her mind. He just came out of his room. They went to the main balcony and sat there, looking at the moon. They talked the whole night. Memories, and stories. The months that followed were the best of Anne’s whole live. James and Anne spend much time together, and they fell in love with each other more each day. James was asked by Captain Shepperd to go to Bristol. He had an appointment there and proposed to James to buy some nice things and supplies there for the ship. James promised to come back in less than a month, and then he galloped away. Anne’s father saw this as a good opportunity to bring her another youngman. There was twice a week a prom, and Anne was sent there every night. She danced with for her feeling the whole town. On the 8th prom a group of girls came in giggling about two hansom youngmen that came in Jameson by horse. Oh great, Anne thought. New victims. Fresh meat. She was told they were wearing long red coats and big chew hats with fancy feathers. They were might even on their way to the prom! And yes, after hearing the noise of hooves, two youngmean with long red coats and big fancy hats came in. Anne was still finishing her dance with Micheal, one of the boys she was meant to fall in love with. She took a spin, when one of the men took her hand.

“May I have this dance, milady?” he asked. Anne sighed and danced with him. She didn’t even take the effort to look at his face. Maybe she could please here father by dancing with as many men as possible.

“Is something wrong?” the man asked. Suddenly Anne recognized his voice and looked up.

“James!” James smiled. They danced all night, and just before the end of the prom, James took Anne to the back.

“Anne,” he begun. “I should have told you right from the beginning.” There was a moment of silence. “I love you.” Tears were swelling up in Anne’s eyes.

“I love you too.” Anne answered, and then they kissed. But just a corridor away, Anne’s father was watching the new couple, with hate in his eyes.

Two or three weeks later, Anne and her father were playing a card game. It has been a long time since Anne and her father played a game together, as a close father and daughter. Anne got her glass rose in her hand. The door suddenly swung open and James came in. He kneeled for Anne.

“Anne,” he said, and he was searching for something in his pocket. “Will you marry me?” And he held up a ring for her. Anne’s father was shocked. Anne was so happy. She looked at her father.

“Can I, father?” she begged. Anne’s father sighed, thought for a while and then he said: “No Anne. I want you to marry a descent boy with a descent profession and not just some sailor!”

“Father!” Anne shouted angrily.

“And I don’t want you to see the boy ever again, or I WILL disown you!” Anne’s father applied, as if James wasn’t in the room. Astonished and sorrowed, Anne dropped the glass rose and it shattered on the floor…

Just a few days after the incident, James was setting out with John Shepperd on The Mermaid and promised Anne’s father never to come back. But just before he left, James gave Anne a box with deeply red rose leafs.

“I found them floating in sea… They have got such a unique colour. Like they’re magic…” Anne took the box and said goodbye. The Mermaid slowly set sail…

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

;)Chapter 4:

Broken Promise

Mary and Lily's daily duties were cleaning up the mess Anne and her father made during their fights. Mrs Black was suffering hardly under it. The doctor predicted she would be living no longer then two months anymore, and if Anne and her father didn't stop fighting, she'd be no longer then a month. They both tried their best, but it always got to a fight eventually.

"I already told you why you're not allowed to marry him, Anne!" Anne's father shouted. "He is no-"

"You never gave him the chance to proof himself!" Anne shouted back.

"Anne, I re-"

"I hate you!" Anne finished the fight, and she slammed her door shut. Exhausted Anne's father sat down in his chair. Anne sat down on her bed. She cried, and looked up at her window. She had placed the box with rose leafs next to her other rose, which was surprisingly enough still alive. Or again, as she has to call it. She then noticed the leafs were exactly the same. The leafs in the box actually looked familiar. She looked back at the day James left, five years ago. She picked a rose that day and... No, she thought. I picked two roses! She suddenly remembered. Could that be...? No... It can't possibly be the same rose. But he did find them in sea... And the other rose came alive... But didn't the rose die when James left? That means... Yes! Oh Lord, let it be! If the rose IS magic... Then James is meant to come back! She stood up, put on her robe and walked outside, ignoring her father calling her.

No matter how happy Anne was, and how nice she suddenly was to her father, eventually, mrs. Black died. Mary and Lily were broken. They cried everyday. Marty had no idea. He was always away trading cacao beans for Anne's father. Anne thought it was cruel of her father to do that, but he would not fire Marty...

Summer came late that year. It was March, but still snowing heavily. In between the snow storms, Anne walked along the docks. The two roses by her window had not died yet, and so Anne still had hope. There was a group of white pigeons that flew when Anne came closer. But they didn't leave all. There was a black one left... dead. Poor guy, Anne thought. The black pigeon was lying on the white snow, with some very dark but bright red blood dripping out of his little mouth. You have my prayers, little buddy, Anne thought to herself.

The seasons passed by, and the roses never died. Anne was about to become 17, and her father had found a good candidate to marry her. Anne swore she'd run away if her father forced her to marry him. Reynald and William were good friends and always supported Anne when she needed them. They mostly took care of the 'candidates' for Anne. Those who were taken care off fled in terror to other cities. Reynald and William always made Anne laugh. Reynald was twenty, and William was as old as Mary and Lily, 14. William, Reynald, Mary and Lily and all the other old 'gang members', such as Isaac and Ivyrn, bought her all together a huge gift: they had gave her a portrait of her. Anne was very happy with it. It was nicely painted, and she knew it was expensive. But she knew it wasn't expensive enough to empty all their pockets. Later she found out they had secretly bought her a second portrait, showing her and James on it. To avoid trouble with her father, they had not tell Anne or her father about it. But still Anne had hung it in her room, next to her portrait. Just a few weeks after her birthday there came three black sloops with black sails in Jameson. Just a day after the sloops ported, a big black grant frigate ported. Anne became curious. Suddenly the frigate looked familiar... She ran back quickly to her room and saw the rose had never been so bright as it was then. When she looked out of her window, she saw a lot of sailors, probably crew members of the ship, carrying all sorts of things on and off the frigate. Then she saw a man with a long red coat and a big fancy hat with a feather came off...

"Anne!" James ran to her when he saw Anne.

"Why have you come back?" Anne asked.

"What?" James asked. "You’re not happy?"

"Yes... I am..." Anne answered. "It's just... my father..."

"I really don't care what your father thinks," James said. "All I wanted is to come back, to you." They hugged, and James gave Anne a kiss.

"And I came to ask you..." James said.

"Ask what?"

"Will you join us on our journey?" James asked. "Get away from here, your father... your, erm, possible fiancé." Anne laughed.

"Reynald and William told me." James explained. "Must have been hard."

"No." Anne said. "Because I thought of you every day." James smiled.

“But will you come?” he asked. “Reynald and William are coming too.”

“They…? I…? You…? We…?!?” James laughed.

“Yes Anne, we.” he said.

“I don’t know…” Anne said. “It’s a big decision. Leaving everything behind…”

“I left everything behind too, five years ago.” James said. “I left my family, my friends and you behind. I don’t want to leave you behind again. I took quite a risk getting back here. Especially with the entire navy around here.”

“Why would that be a risk?” Anne asked. “You’re just merchant sailors.”

“I-I’ll explain that later Anne.” James answered. “If you come…” Anne looked behind at her home. She saw her father leaning on his walking stick on one of their balconies. She looked filled with hate at him, and he looked back. She turned back to James.

“I’d love to join,” she decided, and she and James got onto the grant frigate. Anne looked back and saw her father was gone, and as far as Anne knew probably on his way to the docks. And yes, after some seconds, there was a loud voice to be heard at the docks.

“Anne!” Everybody present at the dock seemed to quit doing whatever they were doing and looked at the old man with the walking stick.

“Come back here, you ungrateful child!” he said, while waving furiously with his stick to Anne. “I have raised you on my own! Seventeen bloody cursed years!” Anne and James leaned on the railing of the ship, watching Anne’s father desperately to retrieve Anne.

“You are already promised to Gi-”

“No!” Anne shouted back as a response. “I will not marry against my wil!”

“You WIL marry him, Anne!” Anne’s father shouted.

“And you!” he shouted, while looking at James. “You will be arrested!”

“For what, sir?” James asked in a surprising polite way. “It might not be very nice to break a promise, but it certainly isn’t against the law.” Anne’s father began to shout abuse to them and the men on the docks laughed uncontrollably. James guided Anne to his cabin, grabbed two chairs, sat down on one and told Anne to sit down. He told what happened in that tiny year he had been gone. Shepperd and he got more, bigger and more serious fights. It sometimes came to a physical fight. One night Shepperd got blinded by his fury and pulled a sword. In his reflection James got his pistol and pulled the trigger before he even realized it. When Johnson Shepperd fell dead on the floor, James panicked. What had he done? What to do now? He decided to just throw Shepperd overboard, and clean up the mess in the cabin, so nobody would know he had killed him, though it was an accident. The next morning everybody wondered where their captain was, and asked James, who acted like he knew nothing of it. They all assumed he had fallen overboard. James became captain of The Mermaid and he never got unmasked. Until one morning. He couldn’t handle the pressure anymore and confessed. He expected his crew to kill him, torture him or something else, but instead of hating him, they admired him for his courage to confess something like that, and they totally understood. They never liked old Johnson anyway. He was too cruel. But they were worried about James’ faith, when he would reach shore. They weren’t sure if the would believe ashore that he actually just fell overboard, without being in any storm. They decided to take another path. They became pirates. They would set sail to Jameson to handle some old cases, and then go pillaging. And now… the formal Mermaid would now be called: The Black Death. James got named “the Black-Hearted Boy” or, “the Black Beast”. He would have great adventures, had a crew that was more loyal to him then angels to God and he would take his true love with him. This story could not become anymore better for James.

“Are there still properties at home which you really need on our journey?” James asked Anne. Anne thought.

“Nothing really, I think…” Anne said. “No wait, there is something.”

“Ok, I’ll get us some guards,” James said. “And we will sneak in your house at night, and you quickly get the item.” Anne agreed with the plan.

The night rob went quick and smooth. Anne had never thought she’d break in her own house. She went to her window and got the rose and the rose leafs. James was surprised when she returned.

“So quick?” he asked. “What did you get?” Anne showed the roses.

“Rose…?” James asked not-understanding.

“I’ll explain later.” Anne promised James, and they went back to the Black Death.

With the full moon risen at the sky, the Black Death, invisible by it’s colour, set sail to the unknown…

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

:rolleyes:Chapter 5:

French

James was the captain of a small fleet. He had named the fleet to the main ship, The Black Death. Annewas always curious and always helped at heaving, reaving and bracing sails, swabbing the decks, cooked dinner... she did almost everything. The crew had given her a warm welcome aboard and they respected her and the fact she was with James. James had made clear no one to harm her, powered by a pistol in the air. The crew threated Anne likeshe was one of them, one of the guys.

"Anne?!?"

"Yes James?" Anne asked, while she stood up from swabbing.

"What are you doing?" James asked.

"Swabbing the decks." Anne answered.

"But..." James said."You don't have to. We can handle it on our own." He picked up the bucket of water and almost dropped it. Anne laughed.

"Reminds me of the last time you said it." she said. "Then you dropped a mug." James laughed.

James had given Anne her own cabin, and though she was not in charge, she had the same privileges and rights as the officers. In the beginning, Anne stayed in her locked cabin during the fights. But James was teaching her how to handle the sword and how to shoot. Anne turned out to be very talented in shooting. James got up to one of the masts, where from the sails still were up. He cut through a few ropes, and three remained.

"Listen carefully, Anne!" James shouted down. "There are three ropes. If you manige to shoot them all three, the sail will fall down. Are you ready?"

"Erm... I don't know, James." Anne shouted back. She was a bit nervous. William and Reynald were watching it.

"Ten pieces of gold she misses." William said.

"Nah, she hits." Reynald answeres. Anne loaded the gun and aimed. She slowly moved her finger until the trigger was pulled. Hit! She aimed again. Another one hit!

"Come on Anne!" James shouted. "Only one left!" Anne took a carefull aim and... nothing happened. But after three seconds the rope slowly snapped and the sail fell. The whole crew began to cheer.

"Pay up." Reynald said, while holding up his hand and William began to search his pockets mumbling.

Several things were heard among the crew.

"Damn, th' girl be a good aimer."

"She'd be good fightarr."

"Saves us a lot o' time with th' bloody sails."

James came down with a big smile on his face.

"Good job Anne." he said.

Anne practiced days with the gun and she became better. James had a new challenge for Anne. He pointed at Reynald who was watching some sailors' performance. He was wearing a brown tricorne.

"Now, he's a moving object," James said. "so you have to aim very well. Follow his movements."

"What if I blow his head off or something?" Anne asked. She really didn't like the idea. James laughed.

"You won't." James promised. Anne aimed. Reynald set foot to another group sailors. Suddenly his hat blew off and he stopped. Astonished he looked at his hat and became angry when he saw a hole in it. William rolled over the floor laughing. That annoyed Reynald.

"Are you laughing at me?" he asked William.

"No, I'm not laughing AT you," William said. "I'm laughing WITH you." Reynald laughed, and Anne and James too.

Anne's rose really seemed to be magic. It was still alive, and everytime it brightened up even more, there was a ship at the horizon to be seen. And everytime they seemed to win the fight. Anne fought now too in the fights and helped emptying the cargo-holds. They attacked every ship. Spanish, Dutch, English and French. But Anne was afraid of the ending. Everytime it was the same. In the ending, all the enemy's crew members were killed.

"What?!?" Anne asked astonished the first time.

"I'm sorry Anne," James had answered. "I don't like it too. But dead men tell no tales."

But one day they got lucky. There was a war brig coming towards them. French. After a hard battle, James gave the French crew, that also spoke a bit English, a choice. Join the crew, or be killed. The ship you lost already. It would now belong to The Black Death. A lot of them joined, but as James and Anne were expecting, the captain and the officers refused. And as James said, they were killed. The new crew swore the oath everybody had to make. To be loyal, and such. But Anne still didn't trust them very much. She warned James to get more guards, but James didn't. He did trust them, and appreciated their hard work. But he did gave Anne some guards to satisfy her. After some weeks, Anne left her cabin to James' cabin. There were two guards by her door, and one of them guided her to James' cabin. When they came there, one of the French crew members was holding a knife against James' throat. The guard shot him and he fell on the floor. James cleaned his bloody face and thanked Anne, the guard and God.

"If you guys didn't came in..." he said. "He was talking to me in French, but I didn't understand a word of it."

"I told you to get some guards." Anne said. "We should search his stuff, look who was participating in the mutiny against you."

"Yes, but before we do we should check up on the other officers and guards." James said. "They might be in danger."

"Mutiny." The door swung open and Reynald stood in the doorway holding a French crew member under shot.

"Yes we were aware of that already." James said, while looking at the dead man lying on the floor. "Are you ok Reynald?"

"Yes," Reynald said. "William was under attack too. He's finding out the facts with some sailors."

"Ok." James said. "Anne, you go with Hector to your other guards and find this guys stuff. Reynald, you and I go check out on the other officers." James got a sword standing in the rack and gave it to Anne.

"Be carefull with it." James said. "We don't want my crew to get hurt." Anne smiled and left with Hector.

Her guards behind her, Anne looked through the French man's properties. She found a letter with ten, twenty... thirty names on it. They were standing in a circle, so they could not find out who started the mutiny. There were some small articles written in French, but Anne had learned French and so she knew how to read it. The French were going to take over the ship, torture the other crew members and force them to work for them and if they would not listen, keelhaul them. Anne got the list and went with it to James.

The next morning James gathered the whole crew. He held up the head of the French man and the crew startled.

"There was mutiny last night," James said, and was translated to French by Anne.

"I have the list of names." James said. "Step forward, you who joined, and we might show mercy on you. If you not step forward, you will immediatly be killed." There was a moment of silence, and then almost the entire French crew stepped forward slowly, leaving just a few French crew members behind, who refused to step forward. The mutiners that stepped forward, were keelhauled and then locked up in the scaffold for a week. The mutiners that didn't step forward, were killed and thrown overboard. The French left wereput to work even harder to pay for their sins.

Peace returned on The Black Death and they were almost at Jamaica. They were avoiding Port Royal, because James had heard there were reinforcementsof the navy sent there because of all the piracy there. The set sail to St. Ann's bay, but would porton their way in Port Antonio and Port Maria. Once in Port Antonio, they painted the French ship La Luna black and called it: The Dead Rose, by a suggestion of Anne. James taught Anne how to navigate and Anne became captain of The Dead Rose. The fleet The Black Death was now named The Black Rose.

The fleet set sail to Africa, heading to Madagaskar, a big pirate hide-out. The Dead Rose was a perfect ship. It was very fast. It held twice the amount of cannons The Black Death, and still the Rose was faster. Reynald became first mate on the Death, and William on the Rose. Their journey went well. Every now and then a fight, but never lost. Hardly never there was a storm, and the ships quietly glided in Madagaskar's bay...

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

I'd love to hear reactions about the story so far. Is it crap, or is it read-able? How 'bout the story line? Can you follow it? So many questions, so few reactions... :'(

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

:(Chapter 6:

Lona

The Black Rose ported in Madagascar. They divided the booty and the pirates began to build houses. A little pirate village was created. James and Anne were working on a home for them. It got finished after a month or two. They invited Reynald and William to live in it too, but they had already build a house of their own. And so James and Anne lived together.

At full moon, Anne went to the window. She opened her front door and stood on the small veranda they build. James placed his warm hand on her shoulder.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?" James said. The stars were shimmering brightly and the sky had a beautiful deep dark blue colour.

"Yes, it's beautiful." Anne said. "Everything is beautiful. The ship, Madagascar, the strange animals that live here... I have seen many parrots in my life, but never one so coloured like the rainbow as the parrots that live here..."

"But you forgot a very important thing, Anne." James said. "You are the most beautiful of all those treasures of Madagascar. You are my treasure." Anne smiled. She'd been so happy since she escaped Jameson. Though not all the fights were pleasant, being a pirate was really enjoyable. And especially with James. James got a bottle of rum and sat down. Anne sat down too and James gave her some rum. They talked all night like they did many years ago, on Anne's balcony. When the sun was about to rise, James yawned tremendous.

"Guess I'm going to lay in bed today." he said. "Goodnight, erm, morning Anne." and he gave her a goodnight kiss.

The whole crew of the fleet The Black Rose gathered as there was announced the fleet was setting out on a pillage again. Only one sloop was left behind, The Craw. Anne got aboard the Dead Rose and took a deep breath. Back at sea again... She heard some men talking near her.

"Who's yer cap'n anyways?"

"Black Anne Rose be th' cap'n."

"What?!?"

"Th' girl?!?"

"Aye, but she be a good strong leader."

"Tremendous shooting skills."

"But she's a woman, lad."

"She's Black's woman."

There was a moment of silence.

"Yeah, that says enough."

"Any problems, kind gents?" Anne asked, while walking on to them.

"Nothing, cap'n." one of the men said.

"Actually there is, cap'n." another man said. "I rather not insult a woman, but... ye be a woman. That's me whole point. How can a woman lead a ship?"

"The same as a man leads a ship." Anne answered. "There is absolutely no difference between man and woman. We only look slightly different. You should know that."

"Aye cap'n, but -"

"No buts, ok?" Anne looked at the sailor. Seemed she made her point clear, because the man gave up. She walked away to her cabin. When she turned her back she heard one of the men say: "Told ye."

They were several weeks at sea and had many battles so far, and none lost. The crew gained trust towards Anne, or “Black Anne” or “Cap’n Black Rose”. There was one day a black ship with black sails to be seen at the horizon. First Anne just assumed it was the Death, but the Death was behind them. And the ship was a pirate ship, because it sailed a Jolly Roger. But not their Jolly Roger. Anne looked at the amount of cannons the ship was holding and made a decision. They were going to attack it.

“Load the cannons and brace the foreyard!” Anne shouted over the decks, with William repeating it in the back of the ship. “We’re going to get some booty!”

The crew cheered and got to work. When the Death came closer she told James and asked for some help. The two black ships raced to the weak and unprepared black ship.

“Open fire!” Anne shouted. Orders were shouted over the decks by Anne and William, with the sound of James and Reynald in the back, stimulating their crew to work harder. The Dead Rose opened fire and was answered by a full hit from the unknown pirate ship. The ship heaved a red flag next to its Jolly Roger. No mercy. Anne got mad for the hole in her ship and gave them five shots in a row, where from four were hit. After some shooting, Anne’s crew managed to grapple and boarded the ship. There was some fighting, but soon the other pirates gave up. Anne identified the ship to be Hell’s Last Breath and the captain to be Dough Thomason. Anne and James were emptying their cargo holds. The found some crates and opened it, expecting to see things of value in it. But the crates were filled with dresses.

“Dresses…?” Anne asked astonished.

“There’s a female aboard.” James said. Anne suddenly held her breath.

“Was, James…” she said and she pointed to a body lying on the floor. The woman had a wound on her head and her belly. James came standing next to Anne. They quietly looked at the woman and then continued in silence. James got up the deck, leaving Anne behind to finish it.

“What are you going to do now?” Thomason asked.

“I’m leaving.” James said. “And I’ll leave you all behind on your empty ship… dead.” Thomason’s eyes became big, and filled with fear. James got a rope and was about to swing to the Death, but he turned around.

“Oh and erm…” he said. “Do you have any idea there is a dead woman lying in your cargo hold?”

“What?!?” Thomason asked astonished.

“Lona!” the first mate screamed.

“James! Come quickly!” Anne ran up the decks hysterically. “She’s alive!” James, Thomason and the first mate followed Anne while she ran down the stairs to the woman.

“She moved, when I was carrying some crates…” Anne told. “She mumbled something, calling for some kind of Raymond.” The first mate and Thomason looked at each other. James ducked and looked over the woman.

“She’s unconscious…” he said. “But lucky. With a wound like that. Anne, will you take her aboard the Rose?” Anne nodded her head. The woman was carried aboard Anne’s ship by some strong sailors. James and Anne stood together on the decks of Hell’s Last Breath. They were about to enter their own ships again. James waited one second. Then he turned to his crew.

“Kill ‘em!” he shouted, and the pirates yelled.

“No wait!” Thomason quickly said. James looked at the obviously drunk man.

“Wait…?” James asked.

“I have an offer for you!” Thomason said excited. “Let us join your fleet. You’ll have another great ship. It’s the fastest of the seven seas. And black.”

“How can I trust you?” James asked.

“I swear I won’t run away with the ship.” Thomason promised. “After all, I only get good things. If you get booty, we’ll get booty too.”

“I want you to swear it on the woman.” James said. Thomason obviously didn’t count on that. He was getting his doubts. The first mate stepped forward.

“I’ll swear on her.” he said. “As long as we get her back.”

“No.” James said. “If you run away, we’ll kill her. That’s the whole point. And I want your captain to swear on her.” Anne was impressed. James had well seen the woman was of great value to them. Thomason stepped forward.

“Fine.” he said. “I swear on future mrs. Lona Tempest that we will not run away from the fleet… erm… what was it’s name again?”

The Black Rose.” Anne said.

“We will not run away from the fleet The Black Rose, and we now officially joined said fleet.” the drunk captain said. “Satisfied, you wet-eared lackey?” James mumbled, but then nodded his head. He and Anne got back to their ships and Anne went to sickbay.

“How’s it going with the lady, Kevin?” Anne asked the ship’s surgeon.

“She’s fine.” Kevin answered. “She has a bit of a fever, but she’s not in life danger. Could have been far more worse.”

“What have caused her wounds?” Anne asked.

“I guess she was hit by a plank that got loose, and the wound on her head was probably caused by her fall, when she was knocked down by that plank.” Kevin told Anne.

“Ok.” Anne said. “I’ll check up later.” And she went to her cabin.

Anne was sitting next to the girl when she awoke. She moaned.

“Where am I…?” she asked. Her eyes became big when she saw Anne and Kevin leaning over her. “Who are you?!?” She sat straight and panicked.

“Where’s Raymond???”

“Raymond?” Kevin asked.

“I’m Captain Anne Rose and this is Kevin McFisher. You’re aboard The Dead Rose.” Anne said. It didn’t calm her down.

“Where’s Raymond?” she asked again.

“You mean your first mate?” Anne asked. “He’s fine.”

“Yes, but where?” the woman asked impatiently.

“Aboard the Breath.” Anne answered.

“Well, where’s the Breath?”

Anne stood up and walked to a wall. She looked through a small hole in the wood.

“She’s not far behind us.” she said. “You mustn’t worry. We’re almost at Madagascar.”

“Madagascar?” the woman asked.

“Our hide-out.” Kevin explained. “What’s your name, missy?”

“L-Lona… Lona Ryder.” she said. Anne was surprised.

“Wasn’t it something with Storm, or…Tempest! That was it!” Anne said.

“No,” Lona said. “not yet. I was engaged to Raymond, but we were accused of murder, so we fled.”

“Can’t your captain perform your marriage?” Anne asked.

“He doesn’t want to…” Lona said. “I don’t understand why. I thought he was happy for us.”

Anne had quite a good idea why he wouldn’t do that, but she kept it for herself.

“Well, it’s nice to meet you Lona,” she said. “But I got to get back to my cabin. Good day, Kevin.” Anne left the surgery.

Anne and Lona became good friends. Lona was glad she had someone to count on, all alone on that strange ship. Anne was glad she had a female friend again. It had been a long time since she saw another girl. Lona was not much younger then Anne, about a year. They told each other everything. Anne about James and how she became pirate, and Lona about her past and Raymond. She was a cousin of the Queen of England, and very wealthy. But she fell in love with a horse keeper’s son. Of course, he was way too poor. And he didn’t even belong to the nobility. No way she was allowed to marry him, nor to even fall in love with him. But one night there were pirates that broke in her house and nearly killed her, if it wasn’t for Raymond to save her. The pirates were locked up and would be hung. But they found out one of them, the captain, was actually the one who saved Lona. He was in the very same room too, hidden in the shadow of the corner. Raymond had shot, but missed. But captain Dough Thomason did not miss, and Lona was saved. When they found it out, they freed him. Lona’s father had given Lona and Raymond permission to marry and they got engaged. But just a week after their engagement, Lona’s father died in mysterious way. Lona and Raymond were pointed as the murderers. But guess who came to rescue them? Old drunk Thomason freed the two in love and they fled on Hell’s Last Breath. Though, Dough was called “Old Thomason”, he wasn’t that old. Of course, he was a bit older then Anne and Lona, around ten years, but that wasn’t too old. And he still looked good.

“Ah, damn, he’s a lady-killer.” Lona said. “I must say it’s impressive. He gets almost every girl. But the end is always the same. WHACK!” Anne and Lona laughed.

“He tried me too.” Lona continued. “But I made clear no-one could stand between me and Raymond.”

“That’s the kind of attitude more women in the world should have.” Anne said and she held up her mug of rum.

“Aye!” Lona said. “Cheers, lass.”

They got back to Madagascar and Lona was reunited with Raymond.

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

:lol:Chapter 7:

Wedding Crasher

Lona and Raymond were so happy when they got reunited with each other at Madagascar. Anne recognized James and herself a bit in them. But everytime Lona and Raymond kissed, Dough seemed to turn his head. Anne stimulated Lona to ask Dough to perform their marriage. But again Dough refused. James was willing to do it. Dough objected, but he would not say why. Then after a while, a small part of the crew, which were practically only the captains and officers, got on a little boat trip on the Rose, and Lona and Dough were going to marry. They hold each other by the hand, and James stood before the couple reading something out of the bible.

"Will you take Lona Ryder as your wife, through happiness and sadness... blablabla... etcetera etcetera...?" James asked Raymond.

"I do." Raymond said.

"And you, Lona, will you take Raymond Tempest as your husband?" Lona opened her mouth.

"No!" Everybody turned around. Dough stepped forward.

"I'm sorry Lona, I should have told you before." he said. "I love you." Lona was shocked.

"Dough..." Raymond whispered astonished.

"I know you probably don't believe it... I have been in love many times... so I thought, but what I feel for you... It's a feeling I've never experienced before." Dough got down on his knees.

"Please, Lona, I beg you. Do not marry him. I beg you. Do not break my heart." Lona gaped at him.

"I-I... I'm going to marry... Raymond." she said. "I'm sorry Dough." Dough burried his face in his hands. There was a grim sphere that wedding. Lona's kiss was a kiss filled with a tremendous feeling of guilt...

But the sphere had gone as quickly as it came. When the Rose ported at Madagascar again, a huge party came. There was cooked delicious food, and rum was flooding. James sat by Anne, and the newly weds of course by each other. They all drank a lot of rum, and by many you could see that. Raymond was called over by a friend and was congratulated, and started a conversation with him, leaving Lona for some moments behind. Dough offered Lona another bottle of rum. He acted pretty normal the last two days, and it was as if the whole incident never happened. After a while he asked Lona if he could talk to her in private. Anne had a strange feeling, and left her loaded James behind to follow Dough and Lona...

Early the next morning Lona awoke in the sand, with Anne sitting next to her. She had a hell of a headache.

"Oh god, my head is bursting." she said.

"It should be." Anne said in a cold way.

"Well thank you, Anne, that was really nice." Lona said annoyed.

"You weren't very nice yourself either last night, Lona." Anne said.

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean."

"No, I don't."

"Oh come on, Lona!" Anne said. "You can't talk yourself out of this!"

"Out of WHAT?"

"Oh for godsake, Lona! Why did you cheat on Raymond?" There was a moment of silence.

"I did not cheat on Raymond."

"Then what was that kiss last night?!?"

"Kiss...?"

Anne sighed.

"You really have no idea, do you?" she asked.

"No, I already told you!" Lona said angrily.

"What do you remember about last night?" Anne asked.

"I... remember Dough offering me some rum... I guess I fell asleep then." Lona said.

"You did not fell asleep." Anne said. "Dough took you for a walk. I didn't know why, but I had a strange feeling. I followed you. He began to flirt with you. You didn't even try to resist it. You only chuckled everytime he said something sweet. And then he had you. He kissed you."

"... Is this true... Anne?" Lona asked.

"Yes, Lona" Anne said. Lona became desperate.

"Oh my god... I had no idea." she said. "What if Dough knows?"

"Well, we should find that out immediately."

"Oh god, Anne, why didn't you stop me?" Lona asked.

"I... I didn't know what to do. I was like... paralyzed..." Anne answered.

Lona walked to Raymond, who was sculpting a ship out of a block of wood with his knife.

"Raymond...?" Lona asked carefully. Raymond didn't answer.

"Raymond... are you ok?" Lona asked. Raymond kept ignoring her.

"Ray-"

"I'm not ok!" he shouted. "How could you Lona?" Lona stepped back.

"Oh my god, it is true..." she turned her head and saw Dough lying in the sand, half sleeping half awake.

"You!" she screamed. Dough fully awoke.

"Woahaaaah!" Dough crawled back when he saw Lona walking furiously to him. Lona jumped on him and began to scratch and slap him. Dough tried to throw her off.

“I HATE you!” Lona screamed. “How could you do something like that?!?”

“It was AU! your choice as AU! well, Lona!” Dough said, while desperately trying to avoid Lona’s nails.

“You fed me DRUNK!” Lona screamed, and she hit him hard in the face. Raymond and Anne grabbed her arms and tried to get her off Dough.

“NO!” Lona screamed. “Let me GO! He DESERVES it!”

“Calm down, Lona!” Raymond said. When they managed to get her off, he held her. Lona began to cry.

“I’m so sorry, Raymond.” Lona said. “I didn’t know… I hardly remember anything about last night.”

“It’s ok… for now.” Raymond said, and the three of them left the drunken man whose face was bleeding, alone.

Though, James was really angry at Dough, he could not demote him. Personal lives were not his business. It had nothing to do with his way of leading a ship. So Dough stayed captain. They did not see Dough for a while, and Raymond and Lona made up. Raymond accepted Lona’s apology and everything was back to old… without Dough. But after some time, Dough returned, and everything was completely normal again. They went pillaging again, had fun together… did normal things. Peace had restored. But Anne was worried. The rose was dying…

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

:lol:Chapter 8:

Under Attack

Anne predicted something bad was going to happen. But everytime James only laughed. But he would regret it soon. One morning, some sailors were running in panic, searching for their captain.

“Where be th’ cap’n???”

“We be undarrr attack!”

“We be doomed!!!”

“What the hell is going on?!?” James asked when he woke up because of the noise of cannon fire. Anne, who lay next to him, awoke too, and they ran to the veranda. Reynald was running to their home.

“James! Anne!” he shouted “The navy has found us. We’re under attack!” James was still wearing his clothes from last night, but Anne was in her night robe. But there was no time for changing, and she, James and Reynald ran to the docks. The navy already caused tremendous damage. James got to the Death, and Anne to the Rose. William had already gathered the crew and ordered to load the cannons. He was waiting for Anne before they could set sail. William looked at Anne’s night robe.

“Charming…” he said

“No time for jokes, William!” Anne said and she began to shout orders across the decks.

It was a heavy fight, and the navy didn’t give up that quickly. But The Black Rose could not stand a chance. They had six ships, wherefrom three were only sloops. The navy had brought ten war frigates. The Black Rose had lost the battle, and the pirates were arrested. But because of it’s speed and it’s tremendous captain, The Dead Rose was able to escape. They fled, and after three days of pursuit by one of the navy ships, the Rose was finally safe. They set course to Jamaica, to St. Ann’s bay, but Anne had great sorrow. She knew James was captured, and Dough, Raymond and Lona too. And she knew she was right. The rose didn’t heal…

Anne’s crew assumed to be safe, but suddenly again, a war frigate was after them. The navy had found them again! But because of storms, the main mast was broke, and the sails needed to be fixed. The Rose could not make speed, and the navy caught up on them. There was a huge fight, and though Anne’s crew was defending well, the navy seemed to be stronger. Anne fought like a lion. She parried every sling of her enemy. But she wasn’t prepared to the hit of a wooden plank against her head, and she fell unconscious.

She woke up lying on a bed. She looked around and saw she was in a cabin, but not her cabin. There was a man standing in front of a desk, his chair lying on the floor. He took off his gloves and threw them on the table. He took a quick look over a chart, and then turned to Anne.

“Ah, you’re awake.” he said. Anne looked at him. He looked familiar… and then she recognized him.

“Edward?” she asked. The man smiled.

“So you remember me.” he said.

“What are you doing here?” she asked Edward.

“I came for you.” he said. “My father gave permission to marry you if I brought you back. And now I am bringing you back.”

“What?!?” Anne asked. “I’m not marrying you!”

“You are, Anne.” he said.

“What have you done to my crew?” Anne asked.

“Your crew?” Edward asked not understanding. “So you actually are their captain… Their still aboard your black ship, with some guards of ours to set the course.”

“Will you leave them unharmed?” Anne asked.

“They will be arrested and punished.” Edward answered.

“No!” Anne protested. “They haven’t done anything wrong!”

“Yes they have.” Edward said. “They are guilty to piracy. And you would be too, if your father wasn’t so merciful.”

“Merciful?!? Ha!” Anne said.

“Whether you find him merciful or not, you’re going to marry me as soon as we’re ashore.” Edward said.

“No. I don’t want to marry you.” Anne said.

“You must, Anne.” Edward answered. “We’re officially engaged.” He bended forward.

“No!” Anne screamed. “Get away from me!” She tried to push him away.

“Get used to it, Anne.” Edward said, and Anne could feel his disgusting breath on her face. “You ARE going to marry me.” BANG! Edwards’s eyes became big and he fell forward, upon Anne. Anne pushed him off quickly and saw James standing in the doorway with a smoking gun in his hand.

“James!” Ann ran to him and kissed him. “I’m so glad you’re alright. How did you escape?”

“There was no need to escape. We won the fight. Especially when you fled. Three ships were coming after you, and we had a lot less pressure.”

“How did they find our hideout?” Anne asked.

“One of those French guys got to the navy when we reached Madagascar. He sneaked away and told them everything.” James said. “Did you know, by the way, that they were coming for you?” Anne looked at Edward.

“Yes, I know that.”

They went back to Madagascar to see how much damage there was. They gathered all the useful stuff and sailed to another part of Madagascar, to create there another pirate village…

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Although I joined the Pub last October, I am just now finding the time to go through some of the forums. I read all 8 chapters on the The Black Rose. There is some editing that is required, however, I truly enjoyed the story that you have created. With a little more meat and bones to your story you could go very far with what you have created. I have read many books through out my life time and my thumb of rule is if the first paragraph doesn't pull me in I put down the book. Your story captured my attention and I continued reading to the end...I hope there will be more soon to follow. I look forward to see where the characters go from where you left them. So please continue and do not get discouraged. I will be waiting to see the next chapter.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

• 3 weeks later...

:lol:Chapter 9:

Hell's Last Breath

"So tell me, James." William said. "How did the fight actually go after we fled?"

"Well, as I said, three frigates were after you." James answered. The remaining crew had gathered round a big campfire, and listened filled with attention to James' story. "That makes seven frigates left. You'd say, the Crow and the Hawk would never stand a chance, but the captains," he pointed to both ship's captains, "had such a great courage and superb skills of leadership, that they sunk a frigate together." They crew began talking, impressed by the act of the captains. James silenced them. "Now, it began to become a fair fight. Five versus six. And ofcourse, we're tough, strong pirates, with loads of experience. Those imbecils of the navy, some of them couldn't even swim!" James laughed, and the crew with him. "But disaster stroke. Our third sloop, The Black Eagle, sunk... But, at least OUR crew knows how to swim, and got on the other ships."

"Not all o' us survived, ye know!" somebody shouted.

"Yeah, me matey Jimmeh drowned!"

"'N ol' Muldrock, he didn't deserve te die!"

"Neither do we all!" Reynald shouted. "Now, shut up and let the man speak!"

"And when things could not get any worse, Hell's Last Breath disappeared..." James continued. Reynald grumbled. "That old betrayer." he said. "I bet Thomason left to save his own skin. Coward. Not even loyal to the crew."

"You shouldn't only blame Dough, Reynald." Anne said. "Raymond never liked to be a pirate. He might have taken the helm and got away. And I heard Lona talking about getting away once..." James, William and Reynald looked suprised at Anne.

"You're suspecting Lona?!?" Reynald asked.

"I thought you guys were best friends..." William said.

"She wanted to get away?" James asked. "I thought she loved the pirate's life! And she was with Raymond, and you..."

"Yes, I thought it satisfied her." Anne said. One of the crew members stood up and walked to James.

"Erm, sir... captain?" he said.

"...Aye?"

"I got information about the Breath that might be interseting..."

"Sit down, and tell us yer name, lad!" James said.

"Timothy, or Timmy, if you like..." he answered. "...sir." he quickly finished his sentence.

"Timmy, sit down and tell us whatever you know." Reynald said. Timmy began to tell.

"I saw the Breath just before it disappeared. There was a big black cloud above it, while the sky beyond the cloud and above us was perfectly blue, and cloudless. Now, I know a legend, that might fit in to that situation. A spirit, of a great captain, captain van der Groot. A Dutch captain, that owned 100 ships, so they say. Legend tells, that 50 of them were sunk by Poseidon, 25 were burned by the hand of Zeus, and 10 were dragged down to hell, by Hades. The ancient Greek gods had punished him, because he was the most notorious pirate in the Seven Seas, because he had a pact with... Hades' daughter, who fell in love with him. She gave him strength, knowledge and... magic. But there was a high price for it. He had to marry her. Hades did not approve this, and ordered van der Groot to complete a quest. He had to steal 101 ships. And his first ship had to be build by himself only. Hades, knowing that no mortal person could do that in a lifetime, returned to his thrown in hell satisfied. But he did not think of the fact his daughter had helped van der Groot. With the magic abillities he had recieved from Sarisra, Hades' daughter, he had built his first ship in less then a month. And then he went hunting for the remaining 100 ships, with help from Sarisra. But to make the quest even more difficult, Hades cursed him. He could not take over a ship, unless he killed exactly 100 crew members. Van der Groot had grappled many ships, and pushed them away again because there weren't enough crew members. But when he was about to take over the 101st ship, Hades got to Zeus, who helped him with Poseidon to kill him. Van der Groot was dragged down by Hades himself, on his first built ship. Now, there are different versions of this legend, some say he did it for the love of piracy, others say that he actually loved Sarisra, but according to every version, he requested Aphrodite to visit him in the Kingdom of the Death. He convinced her it was an act of love, all the killing, stealing... the piracy. Aphrodite was a loving and merciful godess, and blessed van der Groot and the remaining 15 ships. She blessed them with immortality. Although, van der Groot lost his abbilities, and was nothing more than an ever wandering spirit. With no magic, he did not have the power to watch over his ships, and they were stolen, one by one. Some say, the ships are still out there, and he searches them. Three are found... When he finds them, he can't just take over the ship. He must give the captain a choice: give him the ship out of free will, or die in a very short period."

"But if the captain dies, he will get the ship anyway, won't he?" William asked.

"No," Timmy said. "When the captain makes the choiceof dying, his fate then lies in Hades' hands, who isn't as merciful as Aphrodite... Anyway, Hades then sends van der Groot back to the Kingdom of the Death, and van der Groot then looses track of the ship."

"And now, you say the Breath is one of those ships?" James said. "There are so many ships, why would the Breath be any of them?"

"Besides, I don't think it's true." Reynald said. "I don't know much about Greek Mythology, but I don't believe Hades had a daughter. He did recieve someone else's daughter, what was her name again..."

"I don't know her name, but yes, Hades had a daughter. Although, this is the only legend, or myth, such as you call it, that confirms that." Jimmy said. "Oh, and besides: van der Groot, dyed every ship he got black, and gave it a new name, wich differed with every ship. But the names all had something in comment: Hell was in it." The crew remained silence, and a shiver went through them.

"So, van der Groot found the ship?" Anne asked. "And either they will die, or they, well, will drown, so die?"

The crew shivered again.

The next morning, they would take the Rose out in search of the Breath and it's crew. After months of searching, they got to Holland. In Amsterdam, on one ofthe houses walls, there was an announcement of a hanging. Pirates were captured just in front of the docks, and, strangely enough, it had three captains, and one of them was female. They sailed a black ship, and had tremendous damage. For information, they could go to the Oost Indisch Huys, the headquarters of the VOC*. (*Dutch version of the ETC) There, James and Anne requested to see the prisonners. And there they found Lona in a corner of the cell.

"Lona!" Anne tried to reach her through the bars.

"Anne!" she said. "I'm so glad you're here. They can't hang me! You must tell them, I'm pregnant!"

"What?!" Anne said. "That's awfull! Poor Raymond, he won't be able to see his kid grow up!" Lona became uncomfortable.

"Erm, well... I'm not entirely sure if..." she said. "Well, it might not be, erm, his child."

"WHAT?!?" Anne shouted. "It's... DOUGH'S?!?"

"Oh, my god..." James said, and he walked out the chambers.

Anne and Lona were arguing, when two guards came in with Raymond in the middle.

"Oh, shit!" Lona said. James followed the three men.

"What's wrong, Lona?" Raymond asked, slightly panicked. "Why did the guards come to get me?"

Lona explained, and when she finished, she was expecting a yell, and an attempt of hurting her. She looked at Raymond's face. He had no expression on it, and silently he stood up and walked to the door, being followed by the guards. At the door, he stood still, and whispered softly: "I should have forseen this. I knew you loved him more then you loved me."

"No, Raymond, that's not true, I love, you, I really do... it's just..."

"Goodbye, Lona Ryder." Raymond finished, and he returned to his cell.

It was as if every citizen of Amsterdam had come to see the hanging of the Breath's crew. There were so many people to hang, that the whole hanging would be done in seven days. Raymond and Dough were the first. Lona was sitting next to the mayor, with her hands tied up. Tears were dropping.

"Wij zijn bieen gekomen, we are gathered, om de ophanging bij te wonen van, to witness the hanging of: Dough Thomason en, and, Raymond Tempest. Morgen zullen volgen, tomorrow will follow: Johnathan Farflick, Elliot..."

James and Anne were standing on the first row.

"Moge God genadig zijn, may God be merciful" The hangman pulled a lever, and James and Anne got to action. Dough and Raymond fell, and James pulled his sword to cut them loose. Anne held the guards that were surrounding them. Lona ran to the gallows, with her hands still tied.

"Sword!" she shouted, and Anne threw her sword to her. Lona cut herself free and attacked the hangman. Anne pulled a knife and stabbed the man in his back, and stole his axe. Yelling she ran to a groupd of soldiers, that ran away screaming. James had cut through Dough's rope, and handed him his pistol.

"Thanks," Dough said, and he took the pistol and shot several guards with it. James ran to Raymond, who couldn't breathe.

"No, James." he said softly, while closing his eyes.

"I'm not letting you die, Raymond!" James shouted, and he cutted like a maniac. When the rope was cut through, Raymond fell, but did not stand up. James tried to wake him.

"Wake up Raymond!" James shouted. "Listen to me, why would you want to die? Lona loves you, she only slipped away! Raymond, answer me!"

James heard a heavy breathing, that became less, and less, and less... until his last breath.

Hell's last breath.

To be continued...

Thanks, BriaRose for the extra encouragement. It was just, I told some friends about the story and they read it, but they were far from enthousiast. They found it crap and, well, I was tired of writing. But now I decided to write further just for myself, but I'm really glad somebody likes it :) Well, I'm certainly writing further :huh:

ph34r.gifPirattitude

banner.jpg

The rose came alive,

Coloured deeply red,

The boy just arrived,

• 3 weeks later...

*claps hands*

Some fine writing there, me lass.

Like said b'fore, some grammaticall mistakes. But ye be a lass from a different country. An extra applaus fer still bein' able o' writing something like that, I figure :huh:

Keep on writing, ms. (or mrs...?) Rose, Anne :huh:

So, poor ol', erm, excuse me, young?, Raymond be dead, eh? Can't ye write him back alive or something? I liked the guy :huh:

Haha lol, sorry, just kidding, do whatever ye want with yer story! As soon as ye continues writing again, which ye should!

jollyrogerjackanapes.gifmonkeystelltales.gif

Dead men tell no tales... how 'bout monkeys?

• 2 weeks later...

Very well done. I have truly enjoyed reading your story. Thank you for continuing your writing. Always follow your passion and heart for neither will lead you astray, especially if it something meaningful to you. I look forward to your continuing saga.....Please don't keep me waiting too long.

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

On another thought, never let other discourage you from your dreams.....you have done an excellent job. And I commend you on your bravery.

• 2 months later...

Black Anne Rose, are you gonna be continuing your saga? I have been waiting to see what you were gonna come up with next.