An Adventure in Shipbuilding

JohnnyTarr

Just had a quick look at the link JonnyTarr... and that is going to be a nice looking sailer when it's done....

Hope you'll post some pics when your done! :blink:

Sorry to those who see this twice.... But I posted the below link in response to JonnhyTarrs comment in another part of the forum.... and I think it might be better suited to this thread than where I originally posted it....

For anyone brave, good with woodworking, and a desire to own a scaled down pirate(ish) ship... ;)

Plans to scaled down min-sloop

Michael_banner.jpg

Thx for the repost. I was really hoping that you would do that. I wish that the plans didn't cost $99 right of the bat. I will look closer at the site and decide on it or not. Right now I am thinking about doing a 30' with a cabin. Looking for plans for something like that. I am hopping to sail it in the Chicago to Macinaw race. I know that I am a little on the eccentric side here but I am having fun. So what is the harm?

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Yeah $90 on the plans seems like a lot for a stack of paper, but the time, technical knowledge and skill in designing it needs to be considered, and from that perspective, it doesn't seem like so much... :)

But then, from what i have read, those plans rely on the fact that you know what your doing as far as boat building goes... Or else it will be another $30 to $40 for a book (or more for multiple books) on boatbuilding basics... Then the cost of materials....

I love the design and look of that little sloop... but if it was a little bigger to accomodate a small cabin (just big enough to camp in) it would be perfect.

Your welcome for the repost... I thought if there was anywhere that boat design would be appreciated, it would be in the Pyracy Pub! :huh:

and to everyone else, for the record, I am not an official sales person of that boat plan... Just someone who has randomly become very smitten with the design and concept... :huh:

Michael_banner.jpg

Just had a quick look at the link JonnyTarr... and that is going to be a nice looking sailer when it's done....

Hope you'll post some pics when your done! :huh:

Sorry to those who see this twice.... But I posted the below link in response to JonnhyTarrs comment in another part of the forum.... and I think it might be better suited to this thread than where I originally posted it....

For anyone brave, good with woodworking, and a desire to own a scaled down pirate(ish) ship... :huh:

My I love that write up. I could so see building that. I wonder how I would up size it?

Hope you'll post some pics when your done! :huh:

For anyone brave, good with woodworking, and a desire to own a scaled down pirate(ish) ship... :huh:

Now that would be SWEET to see that one built! Thanks for that link! :huh:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Ya know Johnny Tarr,

Now that you mention it, I took a closer look at the diagram on the wweb site... and it does almost look like there might be a forward cabin there... Then I look again, and think that those lines could be just about anything....

It's too bad that there isn't a study version of the plan. :lol:

I've almost convinced myself to buy the plans in a few weeks (have some other expensive items on order right now), but the other half has been rather firmly telling me that under no circumstances, am I going to be alowed to build a boat... :huh:

Not sure if I am going to listen to her on that.... But then agaion, buying the plans for my own amusement doesn't mean I have to actually build the thing.... Or there is always the option of buying the plans and talking a friend into using the plans to build a boat for themself and helping said friend so I might get the privelege of borrowing said boat.... :huh:

Michael_banner.jpg

Let me get started on learning how to shipwrit on this one first. I am also looking at making my own sail so I have a lot to do this summer. Just how close to a good sized lake do you live?

Well JohnnyTarr, I'm an hour and a half (okay, maybe two hours) directly south of lake Erie...

Or more realistically, I am within 30 minutes of a number of smaller lakes that would suffice to take a small boat out on... Probably the nicest one of those would be at Deer Lake state park which is about 20 or 30 minutes from where I live...

Or the short version is I am in Columbus in Central Ohio...

I noticed from your profile (pardon my snooping) that you are in Wisconsin... Are you near either Lake Michigan or Lake Superior? (or neither?)

On another note, I had a VERY slow day at work, and I did some searching, and found a two masted day sailer of a similar line to the Swiftsure (the above linked design)... I didn't bookmark that one, but the design was called "The Happy Pogo Pogo" or something like that... The photo of the pogo did not leave as good of an impression on me as the Swiftsure did.

Michael_banner.jpg

Is it just me or does their look like a cabin up front. I also wonder what her draft would be.

An offhand guess on the draft would be 6-8". The overall size be similar to a design I been kickin' around fer a few weeks. No cabin front or rear lessin' ye be willin' ta have yer toes bent over whilst sleepin'. Mr Welsford be fairly active on the Duckworks Yahoo forum. He be descussin' mahagany an its origins right now. Ya might want ta make some inqueries over there.

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

I noticed from your profile (pardon my snooping) that you are in Wisconsin... Are you near either Lake Michigan or Lake Superior? (or neither?)

I am in Kohler, WI. I am just 15 min away Lake Michigan. Just an hour North of Milwaukee. I also got plenty of good sized lakes to learn how to sail on before I try the big pond.

• 1 month later...

Well I did it today. I have invaded my inlaws barn and started constuction on my boat. I made frame #3 today. I was able to do this because it can be made out of anthing. I made it out of pine 1x4. Now in the next couple of weeks I hope to work on it some more. Need money that is all. :rolleyes:

Ooh Johnny, I'd love to see pictures alomg the way! If you had time you should write down as you go, the things you learn that work and don't..shortcuts etc.. I bet other people would love th advice..

Good luck with it!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Well I did it today. I have invaded my inlaws barn and started constuction on my boat. I made frame #3 today. I was able to do this because it can be made out of anthing. I made it out of pine 1x4. Now in the next couple of weeks I hope to work on it some more. Need money that is all. :lol:

That's awesome!

Did you stick to the plans from your first post? r did you find something you liked better in further searching?

Either way, please do share your progress both in tale and photos if you can! :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

I will try to post photos as I can. I stuck with the original plans for this one. I figured that it was a good learning boat. I will build the one you showed me in time though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok update time. I have been setting things up for the construction and paying of materials. I was talking to my wife and the conversation went something like this

ME "And after I get a bit of practice on this one I will build the other one I was looking at."

WIFE"What are you going to do with the first one?"

ME"Hopfuly sell it and use the money for the other one."

WIFE"Why don't you just build the other one then."

ME"Well the blueprints cost $100."

WIFE"Well just figure that into your cost if that is the one you want."

Me"Are you sure?"

WIFE"If that is the one you really want just take you time. Your not in a hurry are you."

So I am going to order the plans that Michael showed me and go from there. I am so happy and I am not in a hurry."

Thats great news for you!

I'm very curious as to whether the company sends you the design plans, or if they send you full sized construction plans and have done all of the lofting work for you. If you can, please let me know when you get the plans!

Best of luck to you as always! <_<

Michael_banner.jpg

Ok update time. I have been setting things up for the construction and paying of materials. I was talking to my wife and the conversation went something like this

ME "And after I get a bit of practice on this one I will build the other one I was looking at."

WIFE"What are you going to do with the first one?"

ME"Hopfuly sell it and use the money for the other one."

WIFE"Why don't you just build the other one then."

ME"Well the blueprints cost $100."

WIFE"Well just figure that into your cost if that is the one you want."

Me"Are you sure?"

WIFE"If that is the one you really want just take you time. Your not in a hurry are you."

So I am going to order the plans that Michael showed me and go from there. I am so happy and I am not in a hurry."

Wow. That is really cool. Does your wife have an unmarried sister?

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I will keep every one posted as to how things are going. I hope to get the money and send off for the plans in a few weeks. And I am sorry but she only has two married brothers.

• 4 weeks later...