The Great Loose Weight Thread

blackjohn

Next up, a little pilates, a little yoga, and a few dozen crunches and leg lifts. Fun. :angry:

But hey, the more you do they easier it gets, right???!!!???

I found it much easier today to ride the exercise machine for 20 minutes. My mind didn't scream nearly as much as it did yesterday.

They say it only takes two weeks to create a good habit.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All in all, I think I prefer it loose rather than firmly attached! Seems easier to get rid when its loose.

Cheeky Duchess!

Ahoy there, dear moderator... least I suffer more slings and arrows, wouldst thou be so kind as to place thine finger on the "Edit Topic Title" button.

:angry:

My Home on the Web

Sure it gets easier after a week or two. For me, I tend to get more enthused when I'm walking around and taking in my surroundings. I'll just need to add on watching an interesting show or a movie that gets me pumped (to my home exercise) to make it more stimulating. The pilates part, at least.

With yoga, that'll be what I do at the end of my day to relax and unwind.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

So far, I haven't really needed to do much exercise for the sake of exercise, been staying pretty physically active with the working, and the general day-to-day stuff. More errands to do with a house than an apartment.

Plus, with a chance of ice coming up over the weekend, had plenty to do to get ready for that (setting out extra feed, moving hay bales, wrapping water lines, etc.). I'll have to come up with something if we get iced in for a couple of days, though...

sig2.jpg

Blistering barnacles! What a great way to generate commitment! You want your treat? Gotta put out first. The treat is already a firmly entrenched habit, so that should make it easier to drag the healthy stuff along for the ride. Thanks for leading the way, blackjohn.

Okay, here's my commitment. No Pyracy unless I have had either a hike or a weight workout that day. (I expect to be alternating these.)

Hike must be minimum 1 mile (the local default is 1 mile one way, so this should be easy), or minimum 20 minutes on the stair stepper if it's raining cats and dogs.

Weight workout must be minimum of three full cycles through upper body exercises (pecs, shoulders, back, triceps, biceps. abs). 12 reps each exercise per cycle.

OK 20 mins... that wasn't so bad..

Aye BlackJohn, I be owin ye when me backside is likened to a peach :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Got my hike in today. Mile and a half to the bank, so 3 miles. Since it's on a trail along a stream, it's really more of a pleasant stroll. May have to strap on a pack with some poundage, to make the walk a bit more of a workout.

Yesterday, though ... those weights ... whoa, man! It was all I could do not to walk away after two cycles, even though I knew that would be cheating. Actually stood there staring at the weight bench for a good twenty seconds, at war with myself whether to bail out. But I made it. (barely). That was before I signed on here, and it's why I put three cycles in writing: to make it harder to cheat. Add some iron to the will by making it public.

Tomorrow, here we come!

Thanks for leading the way, blackjohn.

Okay, here's my commitment. No Pyracy unless I have had either a hike or a weight workout that day. (I expect to be alternating these.)

You're welcome. Glad to have you onboard. If we work together, we can do this!

Ok, this day was tougher, and I was hemming and hawing about giving it a rest on the weekends, but a) I knew if I did I'd be back to square one with respects to building that better habit and ;) I wouldn't have been able to reply to you, or to Red Cat Jenny, or to CrazyCholeBlack's message about sources for natural dyes! So... hey, I guess this system works!?!?!

:lol:;) :)

My Home on the Web

OK 20 mins... that wasn't so bad..

20 minutes... it's next to nothing. Really. I probably spent 20 minutes loggin in, reading these few messages, and replying. I'll probably spend about 20 more making a cup of coffee. Does my mind scream no no when I do those. So 20 minutes doing something healthy... it's a worthy cause.

In a couple weeks, maybe we'll bump it up to 25. ;)

Funny how in English word order is crucial to meaning... you slip that word "when" over two places to the right and that sentence of yours becomes rather amusing.

;);)

My Home on the Web

Someone needs to make a pirate-themed work-out video for us.

Y'know-- Will turner leading us through swordplay choreography, and Cap'n Jack demonstrating how sit-ups can be useful to reach the rum bottle when you find yourself flat on your back. Barbossa could do the nutrition segment, "An Apple a Day".

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Funny how in English word order is crucial to meaning... you slip that word "when" over two places to the right and that sentence of yours becomes rather amusing.

;):lol:

Aye!! :lol:

Now I know why you're one o me favorite people , sly an witty Blackjohn! LOL

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Someone needs to make a pirate-themed work-out video for us.

Y'know-- Will turner leading us through swordplay choreography, and Cap'n Jack demonstrating how sit-ups can be useful to reach the rum bottle when you find yourself flat on your back.  Barbossa could do the nutrition segment, "An Apple a Day".

Cheers, Hester

:rolleyes:

Funny. I think part of my problem yesterday was my choice of viewing material. I still haven't be able to find PotC 2 interesting. Ymmv. This morning I watched The Duellists. Much better. Tomorrow, select bits from either Yellowbeard or Master & Commander.

My bonus excercise yesterday... carrying an armload of bamboo a mile in the rain along the river behind my house. I kept wishing I was dressed as a pirate. Would've made the whole adventure that much better!

:rolleyes:

My Home on the Web

Someone had cut and dumped a bunch of it. Thought it might have some sort of piratical use. Dampier carried his notes in a bamboo tube, as I recall.

I'm glad you asked, because that spurred me to do some research. I kept thinking "bamboo = Asia" but the fact that Dampier used it, and I believe I saw reference to it in Wafer's book too, got me to thinking. As it turns out, there are around 400 (I think) species native to the Americas.

Today... I did my 20 minutes while watching one of my all-time favorites... Forbidden Planet. What a film!

Now, time to get ready for the Verizon guy's visit... he's going to install FiOS. Wooo! No more cable for me! It's the fiber optic age!

My Home on the Web

I ended up spending Sat setting up for a birthday party and Sun putting it on, so two days lost. If all I had was a schedule to keep, I'd be done for (no drink or devil required). Good thing we have another sort of incentive here to climb back up into the rigging, as it were, after a slip.

Did the weight routine today, even the ab crunches, which for some reason just rub me the wrong way.

From what I hear "putting out" is good exercise too! 

Now there's some abdominal exercise I could really, er, get into. B)

Aye BlackJohn, I be owin ye when me backside is likened to a peach.  :angry:  

Hmmm. I knew there was a reason I liked peaches. Red Peach Jenny... :ph34r:

Okay, it has been over two weeks since the start of 2007 and I have done nothing about my weight loss.

So, here is my commitment to me. I will take Black Johns lead. I also shall postpone the pleasure of sitting at the desk for hours while on the pub until I had no less than 20 consecutive minuets physical activity (walk, aerobics, bicycle etc.) that day (so to speak ...I work nights). This means that I will rise and exercise allowing me until the next time I wake from my sleep to play in the pub.

Yesterday, though ... those weights ... whoa, man! It was all I could do not to walk away after two cycles, even though I knew that would be cheating. Actually stood there staring at the weight bench for a good twenty seconds, at war with myself whether to bail out. But I made it. (barely).

Bravo! Good choice! I know that feeling. It would be SOOOO easy to walk away. The mind starts trying to cut some deals with the guy "manning the helm" wanting to do those exercises... Glad you toughed it out!!!

My Home on the Web

So, here is my commitment to me. I will take Black Johns lead. I also shall postpone the pleasure of sitting at the desk for hours while on the pub until I had no less than 20 consecutive minuets physical activity (walk, aerobics, bicycle etc.) that day (so to speak ...I work nights). This means that I will rise and exercise allowing me until the next time I wake from my sleep to play in the pub.

Start small. Win a few battles and progress from there. It can be done. I know I can do it. I know you can do it. We all can do it!

My Home on the Web

So far, so good. I wanted to check in at the Pub this lunchtime, but I hadn't done my workout yet today. So, I got outside and on the trail first. 3 miles today. This system works!

I find I need to adjust my weights a little. I've tried picking them up from where I left off a couple years ago, and I've lost some of the strength I had built up. It is harder not to bail out when you push the muscles to the point of failure. I got through all three cycles, but on a couple of the exercises I couldn't do all twelve repetitions, risking dropping the weights on my head.

Better to make it something that you are sure you can accomplish -- with a little struggle, to be sure, but not beyond your abilities. Then increase when the current level gets easy. That way you can maintain a string of successes.

Congratulations, Silkie! I know you can do it. Keep us posted.

The January edition of Glamour magazine has a nice spread on what to eat to stay slim, with appetizing-looking meal and snack suggestions:

what-to-eat.jpgwhat-to-eat-2.jpg

[sorry the text is a bit tiny -- bloody Photobucket shrunk the images.]

Cheers, Hester

P.S. Notice there's no rum ration included in the calorie count!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

It is harder not to bail out when you push the muscles to the point of failure. I got through all three cycles, but on a couple of the exercises I couldn't do all twelve repetitions, risking dropping the weights on my head.

Better to make it something that you are sure you can accomplish -- with a little struggle, to be sure, but not beyond your abilities. Then increase when the current level gets easy. That way you can maintain a string of successes.

Exactly!!! Set yourself up for success!!!

Hey Christine... you know as well as I that they say exercise is a great stress buster!

:lol:

My Home on the Web