Pirate Pipes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The article that goode Capt. Weaver found does show capped clay pipes, right as rain, and there do exist those pirate artickles forbidding smoking an uncovered pipe. I also realize the tremendous threat that fire posed to a wooden ship on the open seas. And yet...somehow, I have a hard time believing that the errant spark from a pipe could pose any realistic danger to the damp, hardtrodden timbers: UNLESS we're talking about that spark igniting black powder.

Now, there's a threat, and no doubt! :D:D:D

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Ok, found them. Blue The Pipe Maker They are wooden.

blue2.gif

I liked the Disclaimer better:

The inevitable discaimer

OK, the pipes are intended for the inhalation of legal substances. They are not intended for underwater use, not as a floatation device. Replacing or repairing electrical parts by an unauthorized personnel voids warranty, removing this tag will bring down the hounds of hellborne (which liketo be scratched behind the ears).

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

• 4 weeks later...

Well for those of you looking for a good clay pipe I in my infinate ammount of spare time have found long and short tavern pipes for 8$ not a bad price but

im still going to try to find one made fully of meresshum <~~~~spelled wrong but oh well

meresshum pipes have a better smoke to em in my opinion and rea usually cool to the touch nomatter how long its lit the only problem is finding one thats that bloody big

may the wind be always to your back and may thier be fair seas ahead :D

Years ago I was in Israel and found many gorgeous Meershaum pipes, for sale at about $10 each. My sister talked me out of buying them, saying that the stems were plastic and the pipes were probably cheap. When we got back to New York City, we saw the same pipes for $35 and up! That was in 1980!

The problem with the clay tavern pipes is the stems. If they're not glazed they will stick to your lips. In order to prevent this you dip the stem in ale as you smoke it. Me, I usually have enough ale in my mouth at any given time to prevent sticking.

;)

What's yer source, Misery?

I've not been smokin' me pipe these last couple weeks, more's th' pity. Our ship's crew's all been hit with head colds and respiratory infections and such, so I'm tryin' not to make matters worse.

:lol:

Capt. William

capnwilliam You asked about the pipes and tobacco in egyptian mummies."where did they get the weed" You just asked the million dollar ? my friend. If you belive in the theory of diffusion (i.e. that there was contact and trade with the new world long before columbous sailed the ocean blue.) Then you have one more peice of circumstantial evidance. but beware mate don't speak of this in loud tones for you'll get lumped in with the crazies ( the ufo's built the pyramids kinda folks....they just ain't right and comein from me thats say'n something) As for me I'll brave these here waters and say that I belive in regular contact and trade b4 the dunce I mean navigator "found" us. If some surivivalist can make the crossing in a row boat then I'll lay odds that the phonecians could do it blinfolded. and thanks for the links mates I needed a new pipe.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

I've got me a pipe from Blue the Pipemaker, and yes, they are smokable. They are actually made from gas plumbing (brass tubing and fittings) covered in clay. I talked with him at length when I bought mine at the Florida Renaissance Faire and his inspiration was the works of J. R. R. Tolkien who, as you can tell from his writing, was an avid pipe smoker himself. As to the question of capped pipes, I have one that is short stemmed with a wooden bowl. It has a metal hinged affair with a collar and is one of my favorites. I think I aquired this little tidbit at a discount smoke shop near my home for a mere $8. As to the question of how dangerous a live ember from a pipe bowl would be on board a wooden sailing vessel, remember that the wood was preserved by soaking in oil, the hull waterproofed with tar, the hold would have many flamable products in it (including tobacco, prime export of the colonies), not to mention whale oil for the lanterns and lamps. I imagine fumes belowdecks on such a vessel! Such is my opinion based on what few facts that I know. A fire certainly wouldn't spread far (at least not beyond the edge of the decks!).

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband is a pipe smoker, smokes a Churchwarden at faires. But you can get Irish Clay Pipes period to the 1700's and earlier. They do get warm, but are wonderful for the period effect.

http://www.claypipes.com/UK.htm

My husband has about 12 pipes from a Sherlock style that is a hour and a half smoke, to a small mersham that is a 25 minute smoke. :) There's a good guy at Ohio Papa Luchini that sells good Merchams, where hubby got his, but Ebay harbors some great ones. Remember, you can get a different pipe stem, they sell stone, shell, and wood stems.

Also consider a really neat Birish Pipe called a Hawk, I think. It's got a metal stem, and cup, that you screw mersham, briar, or other types of bowls into. You can have one pipe stem, and six different tobacco bowls in a neat pouch to carry. Some believe you rotate your pipe every day, and others smoke the same. Bowls are 15 to 30 dollars per bowl, and the stem is about 20 to 40.

I've got a small woman's churchwarden, that has a small bowl. Good for a pocket, from Peterson Pipes.

Try Pipes and Tobacco Magazine also. My husband loves. it. :)

Izzy

Aye, Hitman; one of the fun things (but frustratin', too!) about this Forum, is that there are so many topics that it's hard to keep track! I even forgot about my earlier message.

Cultural diffusion vs. independent invention: aye, those be two archeological postulates. In some cases you could just as well argue either; in this case, I agree, that you're pretty much stuck with cultural diffusion: absent fossil evidence that tobacco once grew wild in the Old World.

Capt. William

Speaking of ancient Egypt, the thing that always strikes me is how they built these monuments that we cannot reproduce using modern methods, yet our culture refers to them as "primitive." Awfully egotistical, aren't we? Anglos in general, I mean.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently discovered that mereshaum (probably spelled wrong) makes a wonderful fragrance when smoked. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen one with a metal cap. If so, I would love to know where I could find such a pipe.

I've recently discovered that mereshaum (probably spelled wrong) makes a wonderful fragrance when smoked. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen one with a metal cap. If so, I would love to know where I could find such a pipe.

I have smoked meerschaum pipes for years and have yet to come across one that gives off any aroma when smoked. In fact, there is nothing at all in the make-up of that clay-like deposit that will do so. Perhaps what you may be experiencing is just a more pure aroma from the tobacco being smoked? Was it an aromatic, virginia, balkan, or english?

Wartooth

You're probably right, wartooth. My other pipes are brierwood. The scent is probably changed by the singeing of the pipe material in those pipes and not by the meerschaum. I still like that one, though and have yet to find them cheep. I also have a peace pipe that I like very much and have considered trying my hand at making a more european style one from pipestone. If anyone has a thought on that idea, post it to let me know. Pipes, swords, jewelry, costumes, video games, roleplaying games...... my collection hobbies seem quite varied, come to think of it.

• 2 months later...

Many years ago at the S. Ren faire in Devore, CA. there was a small booth selling some very unusual pipes (didn't see them there when I went a couple of years ago). Just had to buy me a wooden one with the shaft looking like a penis. Aye, tis my favorite pipe. :huh:

Great for that 'practicin'. Aye, what every good wench needs! :huh::huh:

Rumba Rue

**The best thing about sucking is the results** :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got me a chance to try me clay pipe I got from DawnMist Studios. It's a "Middle Earth" pipe... a churchwarden wif a long curved stem. The tip o' the stem is glazed as to not stick to the lips.

I found the smoke cool and enjoyable. 'Twere a fine smokin experience. Heather at Dawn Mist doesn't have anything for sale as of today, but if you want to send 'er an e-mail, she may be able to tell ya when 'er next batch o' pipes will be available.

:ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...