JohnnyTarr

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosling's Black Seal? Now there's a fyne rum. Don't be messing it up with mixers, water, or ice. B)

Ah, Gosling's! That's what I've been using in my Captain Kidd cocktails over the holidays. But don't worry, the mixers I use have their own kick: 1 part Gosling's, 1 part cognac, 2 parts dark creme de cacao -- shake with ice and strain. Heaven.

And for my fruity rum cocktails, I can't really see the point of white rum -- no flavour at all. But Appleton Estate's V/X Jamaican rum has a lovely golden colour and flavour and works very nicely with fruit juices:

1224.gif

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Oh yes, and last fall, my b-i-l was pouring this for me during a family visit, over ice, with lots of lime and a splash of Coke:

2910.gif

Haven't seen it in the local liquor stores, but I'm keeping a weather eye out for it!

Cheers, Hester ... did I mention that he's my favourite b-i-l?

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Following Captain Jigme's advice that Gosling's Black Seal is too nice to be mixed, I got a bit curious and decided to swig a bit from the bottle to see how it tasted straight. Mmmm... delicious. Had to have a second swig...

2745.jpg

Okay, this could turn into a dangerously addictive habit! I'm stopping now.

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I watched "The Deep" last night...good old movie (ok not that old) the bad guy kept pouring Black Seal in the old sailor (Coffin's) glass. Funny how ya notice these things..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Or how labels are conveniently turned away from the camera.

I like the Trader Vics, Castilla Spiced, Whalers, Morgan Spiced, and of course the Myers.

I'll drink rum and coke if there's nothing else in the house, but it's a terrible thing to do to rum. Rum and pineapple juice is my favorite. Goombay style.

Am I the only one here that rum acts as an aphrodesiac on? Just wondering. Have you ever taken a little Malibu and poured it between....sorry, mind's wandering.......nevermind.

Here's ta' swimmin' wit' loose limbed women....

Iffen ah'm drunk ta' tha' brink, do prop me up, me darlin'...

But iffen ah'm anywhere near bein' sober ta' me gills, do buy me a drink!

Sounds like ye all need to sign up with Rum Runners! here's the link!

See ye there! Feel free to post any rum-related topic ye see fit!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rum-Runners/

Here's to ye!!! :lol::huh:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Jigme..I think it's melons mate :o

Ok heres a staggering rum reference list (some people have waaaay too much time on their hands)

The Rum gallery - sorted by country

BlackJohn, I am right behind ye wit that New Years resolution! What a great idea! ...and we WILL get that story from ye..heh heh hmmmmm

Many years ago, when I was but a lowly private in the army, one of our corporals had "connections." The exact details of these connections were a mystery to me then, and in fact are still a mystery to me today, but the lay of it was this... he got his hands on rum, lots of rum, and he passed it along to the regiment. Usually this rum was "from Jamaica." But once he brought some very special rum... rum recovered from a shipwreck... a shipwreck that had been buried for close to two centuries... it had been uncovered by a hurricane... someone recovered some bottles... and with his connections our corporal obtained one. That was the smoothest, most powerful rum I have ever tasted. Amazing.

This is just one of the many fascinating opportunities that have come my way through reenacting, and truth be told, among all the these, the 173 year old rum ranks only in... the top five!

:)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Happily willing ta sit all starry eyed and listen ta BlackJohns tales all night..

.......... long as th rum isn't gone.... :lol:

Well I am still sticking to my favorite Sailor Jerry Navy Spiced Rum....( I know I know..many of you don't like it...but I like it better than Captain Morgan)

There is another rum I have been eyeing on the shelves it says Jamaica Rum..and it's about 23 something bucks...any word on that one...I may have the name wrong.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Without starting a new thread, . . .

I am used to Scotch (blended and single malt). I actually had my FIRST "real" rum (not the clear crap) LAST NIGHT.

Following the the advise from SOMEWHERE on the pub, I got Captain Morgan's Private Stock (and some Dewar's-> excellent Scotch for the price, though I prefer the singles more).

I LOVE IT!!!! It is the only alcohol besides Scotch that actually tasted "good" to me (I can only barely drink beer). I'll definately be getting more.

Bilgemonkey, I'll be looking to your chart and reviews QUITE a bit.

For my next question,

Which modern rum(s) are the most "authentic" for the GAoP?

In the GAoP, wasn't the rum generally cut with a substantial amount of water?

Any general "rum info" I NEED to know?

(Remember, I am coming from the background of scotch and know LITTLE to NOTHING of rum.)

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Well Bilgemunky is quite the expert, I'm still tasting my way through his list. I have however found a place that deals in rare antique finds and will tap the cork and send you a small sample of some of it. That's what I want to try. Somethin reealy old..as long as it doesn't tast like brake fluid. However you've a plethora (I love that word..say it...pleeethora) of experts here. Sit back pour a tankard and the opinions shall be plenty! :lol:

interesting..Rum soup..hmmm

mm mm goode? with a little pirate on the can? Oh no wait! The label should look like a barrel....

I need more rum..

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say that I have a favourite rhum. That be like saying you love one of yer daughters more than the others :lol:

But tonight I'm drinkin' Myers to get me in the mood fer the BLACKBEARD miniseries that I'll be watchin' on DVD in the next hour or two.

-CS

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

For my next question,

Which modern rum(s) are the most "authentic" for the GAoP?

Period rhum was a very coarse beverage that was usually just a vehicle of drunkenness. You might try Pussers though. A quality rhum mentioned earlier in this thread.

http://www.pussers.com/rum/

-CS

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

I saw a bottle of Goslings...last night when I was picking up me fav...Sailor Jerry. 20 bucks or so a bottle. Any word on this one...

Also I have noticed some of you use the spelling Rhum....I recognize that spelling from the german form. Why do you use this spelling?

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Sailor Jerry, in my opinion, is a bit like cough medicine...kind of candy-ish. If you want to learn more about rums, check the forum on ministry of rum:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/

My top 5 in terms of favorite rums going down from 1-5:

1. El Dorado Special reserve (which I believe is called a "demerara")

is my holy grail. This is my #1 favorite.

2. Mount Gay Extra Old ( kind of hard to find, and considered the best) it is a bit cognac-y and so smooth you don't even feel it. Makes a better sipper than a cocktail rum. Pointless for Cuba Libres (Rum&Coke)

3. Pussers 47.5 alcohol (not the 42% stuff)...this stuff is rugged and not meant to be toyed with. Claims to be the original rum for the British Navy

4. Appleton Estate V/X...best Rum&Coke mixer

5. Flor de Cana...best all-around value, authentic (l like 7 yr but the others are ok)

Hope this helps.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Rhums (olde English spelling) are like women (or men) in that they are all a little different, some agreeable, some not, some sublime, some just nasty. Most often we can't afford sublime, sometimes we'll tolerate nasty. Eventually, though, we find the ones we can take home. For me, Mount Gay Eclipse. Goslings for those days when I feel a bit more rugged.

Goslings is a dark, black almost, rhum best used for sipping.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Also I have noticed some of you use the spelling Rhum....I recognize that spelling from the german form. Why do you use this spelling?

That be the spelling on the bottles of Haitian Rhum, which is my everyday rhum.

-CS

guns_boobies2.jpg

Arrghh! Goslings! The rhum that taught me how to drink rum!

It's still my staple! And I be buying it up in all those nifty gift packs left over from the Solstice - on sale, mind ye!

Aye! Goslings! Dark nectar of the gods! True blood of the cane!

Don't be ruin' it with ice, or any other mixer. It's fyne as it comes.