Random Thoughts

Blackfoot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, Duval. Mallory Dock(hi Captain Jack!). The Conch Train. Key Aquarium. Papa's house. Margaritaville. Banyon trees. Sidewalk kamikaze rent-a-scooters. Conch fritters. The Funky Pirate. :(

Wasn't that the southernmost chicken that just crossed the road? :)

MORE CONCH FRITTERS! B)

Fate, I've found as o' late, has raised its ugly head ta' redeem ih'self.......

Random thoughts......................

mmmm...no...better not....

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Heh...got good insurance?

If Blackbeard was a blonde, brunnet, or redhead,

What image would he have created for himself?

Why the hell have most people never HEARD of Bart Roberts?

Does a "death's head" mean teh skull only or the skull and bones together?

How many of us wouldn't be scared crapless if we ever came across a REAL 18th C. pirate?

(Now, be honest)

Why can't history a-hole "counters" and ren "fairies" not seem to get along?

Don't we line the same stuff in general?

Why did so many historical famous pirates actually suck at piracy?

Why does "hollywood" seem COMPELLED to replace great history with less interesting melodrama?

Why do I WASTE so much time on the internet?

Would pirates even use the internet, if it existed in 1718?

Why were so many "pirate ships" names "Revenge"?

Why is there a "preview" on The Black Swan warning "Piracy is a Crime" "Piracy is stealing" and "Piracy is illegal". Aren't we about to WATCH a movie ABOUT PIRATES???

Why is there a warning on my telephone not to use it in the shower, in a thunderstorm?

WHY AM I STILL TYPING?

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

If Blackbeard was a blonde, brunnet, or redhead, What image would he have created for himself?

Probley the color same thing except with the new color. For example Yellowbeard. You never know, I'm sure he was a creative guy.

Why the hell have most people never HEARD of Bart Roberts?

Because he isn't on prime tv, the movies, or popular radio

Does a "death's head" mean the skull only or the skull and bones together?

I don't know. Wiser pirates than I can answer this one.

How many of us wouldn't be scared crapless if we ever came across a REAL 18th C. pirate?

I would. Chances are good he would want to rob, rape, or kill me if not all of the above. I'd have to say that's pretty scary

Why can't history a-hole "counters" and ren "fairies" not seem to get along?

Because everyone has their own opinions and some people are willing to argue and fight to prove that their's is the "correct way" to do something. This applies to just about everything in life.

Lets not call the historical types a-holes, there are alot of very nice people in the pub who consider themselves "counters".

Don't we line the same stuff in general?

Do you mean like? Sort of, in a way we do. It's like saying we all like reading. There's so many facets to reading and books though that no two readers are alike.

Why did so many historical famous pirates actually suck at piracy?

Maybe they got the job from friends or family and we're actually qualified

Why does "hollywood" seem COMPELLED to replace great history with less interesting melodrama?

Because they want to make money and try to appeal to what the majority of movie go'ers want. Unfortunatly, it some situations it means dumbing down the good stuff.

Why do I WASTE so much time on the internet?

Your tv is broken?

Would pirates even use the internet, if it existed in 1718?

Yes, they would use it to pirate movies and music

Why were so many "pirate ships" names "Revenge"?

Because "The Flower" isn't very intimadating

Why is there a "preview" on The Black Swan warning "Piracy is a Crime" "Piracy is stealing" and "Piracy is illegal". Aren't we about to WATCH a movie ABOUT PIRATES???

That's kinda funny. I never thought about that....

Why is there a warning on my telephone not to use it in the shower, in a thunderstorm?

Because sadly, someone has most likely tried it and found out the hard way.

WHY AM I STILL TYPING?

Maybe you are avoiding work just like i am

Good points all, Wages.

'Blondebeard' doesn't sound too menacing.(wait a minute,I've known a few blon...never mind)

Black Bart's known in the right circles. Yer in one.

The 'death's head' phrase is usually used in the Nazi camp, just the skull.(come to think of it,I haven't had any skull in...nevermind)

Real Pyrates were scary. And smelled. But had a great tyme.

The 'Rennies' and the 'garb nazis' will never get along as long as there arses on both sides(moreso on the latter). When I first started going to Faires naked(ya hear that Red Cat?)in the late 70s I had the impression the hardcore 'period correct' thing was the way to go. After meeting some of said SCAers, I didn't want anything to do with them or be remotely associated because of the pompous finger wagging attitude. Card toting donkey butt club supreme. I stopped going for about 15 years. My wife and I decided to start going in garb and met a lot of great friends and a few jerks from both camps. My wife recently fell in with a group/crew of 'period corrects' that she finds are wonderful and not pretentious at all. So far. I'm reactively skeptical from past experience but there are good and bad in both apparently. My bad. Remember why yer there; to have a good tyme and socialize with others who share your passion for history. Check your attitude at the gate.

Most historical pyrates had such short careers it's hard to say yay or nay. Were the successful ones those that weren't dancin' on the jibbet?

Hollywood borrows and rewrites history because they don't know it. And don't care.

I pissed about Black Swan too. Why isn't it in widescreen?

Because 'Queen Annes I'm Gonna Get You For What You Did Or I Think You Might Do' doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Trust me,don't take your phone(chainsaw,reading lamp or microwave for that matter)into the shower or thunderstorm.

Keep telling yourself: I'm not still typing...I'm not still tyyyyyyyy........

To defend myself:

I AM an "a-hole counter" (with a degree in history, even-> I was picking on myself)

As for Captain Blood and Black Swan . . .

IT WASN'T FILMED FOR WIDESCREEN!!!!!!!!

They are both in the film-ratio (no panavision, cropping, etc). It was 1942!!!!!

Note-> nothing is chopped off sides, nor is anything "wasted" on the top and bottom (both caracteristics of making a widescreen film into TV aspect). To see how it was filmed, the "framing" either includes "stuff" off screen to left, right, or both (panavision) or has "empty space" at the top and bottom of the screen (when the film is physically cropped when projected). It is VERY evident if you know what you are looking for.

When I first started going to Faires naked(ya hear that Red Cat?)in the late 70s 

I didnt even read these posts.(sorry) Too busy cooking dinner...but I'll assume the humor..heehee *stir, chop, season*....

heehee

Wages!

I was being slight. Defend yerself? I wasn't poking. You'd know if I was, trust me(and yes my opinions here have been deleted over the years).

Haven't you ever rolled your eyes at people who say 'I don't like those bars on the top and bottom'? :D I've stood in the line in rental stores hearing this and shook my head; "I'm sorry, sir, Doctor Syn is not yet available in widescreen. Please check back with us". You want to say something but just shrug. Ah, the humanity.

Take a deep breath, Chloe. We're all on this crazy ship together!

William?

Well, well, now, me dear Jenny lass,

Aye, there be random thoughts here indeed.

What slink o' linen ya be almost wearin' whilst in tha' chop-stir-season-heehee mode.

Come...ta' Taymie.......

Here's ta' swimmin' wit' loose limbed women....

Iffen ah'm drunk ta' tha' brink, do prop me up, me darlin'...

But iffen ah'm anywhere near bein' sober ta' me gills, do buy me a drink!

She be wearin just enough linen..busy cookin..a few damp brunette strands cling to her rosy cheeks..'tis warm in th kitchen.."now careful there Taemus lad... whilst I have me pairin knife busy" :D

Isn't "Scotti" and "Pirate" essentially the same meaning?

The term "Scotti" is from a Roman name for the Irish, who immigrated and "took" the rest of the Picts in the 5th-10th C. It is -supposed- to mean "raider" (Some theorize that, like Pict, it may actualy be a Roman corruption of of a native gaelic name for the people themselves that is now lost).

So, doesn't that make Scots pirates?

B)

She be wearin just enough linen..busy cookin..a few damp brunette strands cling to her rosy cheeks..'tis warm in th kitchen.."now careful there Taemus lad... whilst I have me pairin knife busy" :D

Just enough linen? Hmmm...5'3"...strands on rosy cheeks....tha' kitchen be warmer azz we speak....

Here's ta' swimmin' wit' loose limbed women....

Iffen ah'm drunk ta' tha' brink, do prop me up, me darlin'...

But iffen ah'm anywhere near bein' sober ta' me gills, do buy me a drink!

The term "Scotti" is from a Roman name for the Irish, who immigrated and "took" the rest of the Picts in the 5th-10th C.

When I was in the SCA, my personna was a 4th century Pict..... at the time when the romans decides to go back home.... and the Britons decided to let some Angles, Saxons, and Jutes (other than Beowolf, who remember the Jutes?) move in and act as a buffer to protect them from the Picts.....

Anyway... the Scotti (Irish Pyrates... well raiders with boats) got along with the Picts.... they both spoak close enough to the same language.... and raiding to the South was much easier with boats than walking..... anyway... the Scotti and the Picts got along pretty well, and started to inter-marry..... Only one problem.... The Scotti traced thier liniage through the male line, and the Picts through the female line.... so the Picts wern't conqured...... just out last named..... :D (OK there is suppose to be "One last Battle of the Picts"... but by the time it happened, they had already intermarried with the Scotti...)

The biggest problem with the Scotti "moving in".....

They changed the names of a few things.....

OK, calling "Water of Life" Scotch, does make it easier to order in a bar.... so that one ain't too bad....

But to change Callidonia to Scottland..... ergh.... not so good......

Callidonia kinda rolls off the toungue..... Scottland.... just not as good....... OH well, the name stuck.........

Since it come up . . .

Caledonia-> the ROMAN name for the country

From a southern (relatively) tribe called the Caledon that the Romans faced in battle (an who managed to keep the Romans at bay when Rome was seen as invincible.

The OTHER group the Romans couldn't beat, the ones they called the Germani of Germania (named after the man now called "Herman the German," which is extremely redundant). The Germans called themselves the Deutch.

What the celtic people themselves called what is now Scotland: ALBA

(If watch Braveheart, which has a VERY large number of historical problems, the army says: "Alba Go Braugh")

As for the Scot/Pict relations, the "traditional" view is that of either genocide or slavery. More recent scholarship argues that it was far more peaceful, citing the lack of pre-Viking wholesale slaughter evidence that would be involved with genocide. More likely it was by intermarriage and assimilation. One of the complexities is that culture often goes through maternal lines, yet the Pict culture is, for all intensive purposes, gone. Scholars have intense difficulty identifying ANY distinct Pictish culture (which leads to many, many anacronistic interpretations by ones who want to implant their own ideas, esp. about Druidism). One popular way to overcome this is to argue that all that is Scottich and not Irish, must be Pictish in origin.

Among scholars of early Scottish history, the Scot-ization of Alba is one of the issues of HOT debate. I was hinting at it in my post by -"took"- without taking a whole aside to explain.

But, since you brought it up . . .

(Also, note my initial signature, "Kilted Pirate of the Caledonian Carolinas")

Today, Scotland, Alba, and Caledonia are all used the Scots for their country. Some (a number of whom want to "stick it" to the English) also uses the French name "Ecosse." I think it is just good natured humor, for the most part.

I use all 4, depending upon which best fits the situation. My favorite is Alba, as that is the most historic for what the peoples called it themselves.

Random thought:

In the ORGINAL "The Italian Job," WHY is the clearly Italian partner of Crocker called the very British name of Roger . . . and WHY does Crocker TALK to the film and get an appropriate answer?

(Yes, I have opinions on all this, but am not sure if it was what was intended.)