Roll Call 2007

William Brand

A Picture of me?

Forgive me but I don't take too many photos of myself. I already know how ugly I am and don't like reminding myself.

There have been a few on the web, but were they are, or if they still are I have no idea. Might have somthing in a couple of weeks. See most of my time is spent a bit west of that big body of water that hangs down in the middle of the map. Rumor has it, a bunch of reenactor types are about to take over a hotel near here. Might find someone there whose willing to help out. If that don't work it will take a bit longer.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
No worries, mate.  If I don't see you before PIP, I'll see you there.  Of course, I'm a shutter bug, so there will be no shortage of pictures after.

William, after your 5000th photo talk to me ...that's the current number to beat! :lol:

laughs

No. Quality over quantity.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Uhm, how early would i need to commit to attending the PiP festival to be allowed to participate as a re-enactor? it would be myself and my girlfriend, and we would probably prefer the 1720's Careening camp....

Our attendance mostly depends on me, but as a IT/computer contractor, my vacation availability can be very unpredictable, and change at almost any moment...

Michael_banner.jpg

If you show up you will be welcome. If you don't decide until the day before, you will be welcome. I believe that I speak for all of us in saying that if you make the effort to work up a kit, a camp and get there, you will be welcome.

But...planning is easier if we know who all is coming. And like William said, buy a non-refundable airplane ticket early and you will be committed.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

We use the term commited in the following ways...

to give in trust or charge; consign.

to bind or obligate, as by pledge or assurance; pledge: to commit oneself to a promise; to be committed to a course of action.

to place in a mental institution or hospital by or as if by legal authority: He was committed on the certificate of two psychiatrists.

to send into a battle: The commander has committed all his troops to the front lines.

to pledge or engage oneself: an athlete who commits to the highest standards.

But...planning is easier if we know who all is coming. And like William said, buy a non-refundable airplane ticket early and you will be committed.

Sorry, I can't help but think purchasing tickets so early is unwise. Airlines charge rack rates until 90 days to 6 months out. If you buy before the deals start in, you're paying way more than you need to. Airfares are influenced by soooooo many factors. For instance, today I received a mailing from my favorite airline, Spirit, with airfares from Ft. Lauderdale to Puerto Rico for $16. Some of the online travel sites (travelocity, orbitz, etc.) have fare hunters that will alert you to good fares to where you want to go.

Search the deals and be smart. As Patrick has done, Miami can be a lot cheaper to travel to and then Greyhound it down or rent a car. No one in Florida flies the leg to KW because it can cost as much as your entire first RT leg to Miami.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

if those flying in could coordinate their plans with others perhaps those folks if arriving within say a 8-12 hour time frame of each other could join together and rent a car/van to drive down from miami ......it would be cheaper than the bus and less hassle getting around after hours once there ...just a thought...or perhaps line up somebody who'll be driving through to stop and pick you up

plan ahead

carpools from other areas of the country are much cheaper than traveling solo or just as a couple if everyone kicks in for gas ....

Last year William told me the same thing. I did not buy the ticket so far in advance but I did commit to buying it. Thus having it set in my mind to do so. I went with somewhat appropriate period garb and I had a grand time. So make the commitment to yourself to buy save the airfare and have the garb. You will not regret it.

A few tips about traveling to Key West:

If traveling alone and staying more than a few days, it may pay to fly all the way to Key West.

With two or more people, it may be cheaper to fly to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and rent a wreck. The more people and the bigger the car, the better this option becomes.

Mia and Fll are so close you can watch the planes landing at one while you land at the other, but fares are often very different.

The drive down the overseas highway is great! It is not an Interstate so figure a few hours drive time. btw Miami traffic sucks!

Once on Key West cars are more trouble than they are worth.

Foods not cheap, but mostly very good. I can't plan a trip with enough meals to eat at all my favorite places.

I'll save hotels for another post.

hope this helps!

Good points here. One year we all met at Miami International and rented a 15 passenger van for the trip down. Everyone paid a portion. Since we're at the fort, the van can be parked there for much of the day. There's also a couple good lots over by the seaport for $5 to $8 a day for times you're over there.

Allow about four hours to get from Miami to Key West on the highway. There are lots of reduced speed areas and you can easily get stuck behind a slow moving truck for miles (there's a lot of new bridges being built down there between Key Largo and Sugarloaf). So allow plenty of time - plus it's amazingly fun with all the shops and sites along the way.

Food and drink is very expensive in the tourist areas but if you know where the locals go to eat and drink, it's very reasonable. For instance, we were at the Bottle Cap one evening and it was something like $3.50 for a very strong Captain and Coke. Much better than you can get on Duval and the entertainment was better since it was a local's place.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Foods not cheap, but mostly very good. I can't plan a trip with enough meals to eat at all my favorite places.

This is very true. There are some amazing places to eat all along the seaside and downtown. I had key lime pie almost every day and I found the best burger joint in the world in Key West. So...

...plan...for...food...money.

If traveling alone and staying more than a few days, it may pay to fly all the way to Key West.

Or you can do what Silkie and I did last year..... Fly into Miami, and take the Greyhound to Key West....

The greyhound station is right at the airport, so afterr getting you bags, you walk across the passanger pick-up area, and there you are....

I think I will order my tickets on-line this year... You can buy you tickets once on the bus, but having them ahead of time will be easier.....

Adding to what Hurricane was talking, THE locals bar here is The Green Parrot. It's the HQ for the Conch Republic Army and has THE best happy hour on the island. Schooner Wharf is HQ for the Conch Republic Navy. But, if you're looking to save some bucks, come early and we'll get a fire pit built for you. Lay in supplies from Publix or Albertson's and cook over the open fire. Those camping in the park during PiP will have a much more enjoyable time sitting around a fire and enjoying a rum or a beer than "wasting away at Margaritaville." I understand wanting to do the "Duval thing" for one or two nights. But, it gets old and expensive real fast. What better way to enjoy life on this rock than sitting around a camp fire with a rum (or two or three...) or a beer (or two or three...) and sharing some stories and getting to know one another.

I've been on this rock for the past 15 years. If y'all want to organize a piratical adventure, let me know. We'll start here, adjourn to the Parrot and then hit the Rum Barrel, where the "plastic" pirates hang and show them a thing or two, then hit Schooner and finish up back at the park. :ph34r:

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

Great idea Harry!

Our crewe plans one or two nights of runs into town. Otherwise the buccaneers will be billeted in camp, enjoying a fire, some fine and not so fine period beverages and enjoying the best of what Port Royal (our part of the fort) has to offer in the way of food and, uh, womanly entertainment.

We will be wanting a fire over in our part as well. May want to roast some meat now and then... :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

An official Pub crawl? Can it be worked into a benefit to aid the Fort? A sort of "Go dirinking with the Pyrates" sort of thing?

If not, not to worry. We Pyrates can party by ourselves. Might be safer fer the lubbers that way.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

It's certainly an idea that warrants discussion. Our local group has a meeting set for early this week. I'll run up the idea and see who salutes!

They (being organizations down here) already do a number of pub-style crawls. One pays a certain amount of money which covers the costs for an "official" t-shirt and a drink or two at participating pubs. There's a huge event here during St. Patty's Day when everybody is Irish! :lol:

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

A pub run was part of PiP up until two years ago, so getting it back would be good.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny