Creating the 1720 Careening Camp

Captain Jim

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saved the image.... gotta enlarge it in Photoshop..... not dovetails.... but those notchy things at the corner to add more surface area for glue......

COOl.................................

Hey... about 11 months untill next PiP...... gotta get a whole buncha stuff done by then............

edit:.... OH yah.... any ideas about the dementions of that chest..... or should I just guess at it........

Lo and behold, the dimensions are here.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I'll have to convert the metric to inches.... I found dementions for some later period sea cheast, and they come out kinda large... 3 feet long, by about 17-18" high, and wide....

I know they were where a Sailor kept all his stuff... but I might have to make one a little smaller... I'm still thinking about it tho, so my mind isn't "set" on that ... I'm just thinking about the problems with shipping something too large.....

I make it out to be 24.016"H x 17.992"D x 35.984"W, taken out to three decimals for reproduction accuracy. It would be nice to have some square-on, bottom and virtical shots, to extrapolate the arch of the top and wood dimensions, but that's asking a lot.

3ff66f1f.jpg

I think I'll have to make the dementions smaller for that reason... I think UPS has 110" maximum (Lenght + girth)

Just figuring out dementions.....

I have a wooden box that's 16x16x32

and an ammo box that's 16x14x23

I think the wood box is too large I might make it a little narrower than the ammo box, and maybe 2 1/2' instead of 3' tho...

I'm still figuring it out... but I think it will be much smaller than a real sea chest would be.....(Not even thinking about the weight yet...)

that looks almost exactly like the one i brought with me from scotland (and i know it's over 100 years old it was my grandfather's built by his father in the 1890's and used on the fishingboats until i came to the states in 1967-68)...and about the same size too .....i have been working on several new ones for myself and the lad with fancy carved handles instead of rope beckets

Wonem in the Careening Camp....

Part of my personna, is that I am slightly litterate... my Father was a printer (so I can spell kinda sorta.... but backwards)....not that I can spell anyway,,,

But thar (sorry Kass and Blackjohn bout the bad lingo).....

But thar I am.... I wanna buy some paper.... I like writting and drawwing.. I got some money, and I'm going ter be spendin' it...... right befor I go ter get me rum...... (well then it's all gone......)

SO I find a shop wot sells paper.... and who is the clerk.... WOH A WOMAN.. ,,(remember ... i've been to Sea fer a long tyme.... so nice woman... behave kinda thing....) I only wanna buy some paper (the hornys be another thing).....

I can find the whore.... but how would I act when I meet a "nice" lady......

I think I'd "fall" all over myself......trying to be as good as my Mother taught me to be......(with Whores different story)

SO... what other Women would be trying to get a shair of the Pyrate loot.....

Shop (well assistans and such)..............

Dang... not doing good at this.... KASS come save me........

I know there were women durring the Golden Age of Pyracy..... some good (and some verry good... but seee I'm getting off topic...) but there were the other kinda good women durring the time period....

Dang Kass ..... save me......

What I'm trying to get at.... is ...

Can we figure out a way to do something at he Fort, to show "the women of the Goulden Age..."

I'm not doing good at explaining the idea.... but I think it has some good points...................

Actually, if a pyrate ship were careening near or even relatively far from a town, shopkeepers and others would come to sell wares or buy stock from the pyrates. Many, many folks were not hostile to pyrates as they helped to lower the cost of business. Black market goods = large profits in shop. The references are not at my fingertips, but trade goods were the major part of hauls: sugar, rhum, bales of fabric. Turning this into gold meant trade and that means towns. Women in the camp trading or mending or cooking in trade for plundered items is historically supportable. The women of the night would come, well, at night.

And maybe stay for breakfast.

I would be loath to exclude anyone who attempts period garb, even if we have six Bonney/Read characters in camp, the arguments presented in Twill notwithstanding. That's not in the first year plan. The first year we build numbers and interest. Portrayals and numerical accuracy would be addressed for years two-three. Besides, the Bonney/Read characters have been taken by players in the trial. That having been said, there is a lot of time for those interested to develop appropriate characters and learn the skills needed to portray them, even if they want to portray men, and not women passing as men.

That does not mean women can’t fire the guns or cannon. Women often defended the home front when the men were gone, which means that you would have to side with the English. (Now why didn’t we think of that last year?) Women, at least on this side of the pond, knew how to fire guns because they were on the frontier.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Actually, if a pyrate ship were careening near or even relatively far from a town, shopkeepers and others would come to sell wares or buy stock from the pyrates. Many, many folks were not hostile to pyrates as they helped to lower the cost of business. Black market goods = large profits in shop.

This is very true, at least if you talk to the historians in Newport, RI... they swear that it was the pirates that traded in their area that not only helped establish the town but actually made it a very wealthy, upper class place to live. The problem was that once the townsfolk grew wealthy off of the pirates, they decided to oust them... Newport claims they had one of the largest mass hangings of pirates in history... if I remember correctly they hanged 42 in one day....I have no idea how accurate their claim is... they also claim Thomas Tew was one of the major contributors to the area and that the tunnels beneath the White Horse Tavern were dug by pirates as well...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you Patrick. It sounds period (no one uses words in that way anymore) and its not overtly "piratey." Its the kind of name that you would give to a ship that you love.

As for getting sidetracked, breaks over: back to work! Now that the holiday season is over we can concentrate on the more important aspects of our lives such as pyracy. How about we come up with basic lists of clothing, one for men, one for women suitable to keep one clothed and warm over a period of a week (if you get there on Monday.)

3ff66f1f.jpg

I'll add a bit here.... Speedwell is too often used... I've seen it used in fiction too many times....

Look through this site, there are many references and ship's names;

http://fortress.uccb.ns.ca/search/LsbgEvents.html

I'll dig around for more...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

If it helps you all to have a few choices, this is from a list of English ships employed in fleet operations during the First Anglo-Dutch War.

Acorn

Advantage

Adventure

Adventure

Advice

Amity

Andrew

Angel

Ann and Joyce

Ann Piercy

Antelope

Anthony Bonaventure-

Arms of Holland

Assistance

Assurance

Batchelor

Bear

Benjamin

Blossum

Bonaventure

Brazil

Centurion

Charity

Charles

Chase

Constant Anne

Constant Warwick

Convert

Convertine

Crescent

Crow

Cullen

Culpepper

Cygnet

Diamond

Discovery

Dolphin

Dragon

Dragoneer

Duchess

Eagle

Eastland Merchant

Elizabeth

Elizabeth and Anne

Employment

Entrance

Essex

Exchange

Exchange

Exeter Merchant

Expedition

Fairfax

Falcon

Falmouth

Foresight

Fortune

Four Sisters

Garland

George

George Bonaventure

Gift

Giles

Gillyflower

Globe

Golden Dove

Golden Fleece

Greyhound

Guinea

Half Moon

Hamburgh Merchant

Hampshire

Hannibal

Heartsease

Hercules

Hopeful Luke

Hound

Hunter

Increase

Industry

James

John and Abigail

John and Elizabeth

John and Katherine

Jonathan

Katherine

Kentish

King Ferdinando

Laurel

Leopard

Levant Merchant

Lewis

Lion

Lisbon Merchant

Little Charity

Little President

London

Loyalty

Maidenhead

Malaga Merchant

Marmaduke

Martha

Martin

Mary

Mary Prize

Mary Rose

Matthias

Mayflower

Merlin

Mermaid

Middleburg

Newcastle

Nichodemus

Nightingale

Nonsuch

Oak

Old Warwick

Paradox

Paragon

Paul

Pearl

Pelican

Peregrine

Peter

Phoenix

Phoenix

Plover

Portland

Portsmouth

President

Prosperous

Providence

Providence

Prudent Mary

Rainbow

Raven

Recovery

Reformation

Renown

Resolution

Reuben

Richard and Martha

Richard and William

Roebuck

Ruth

Samaritan

Sampson

Samuel

Samuel Talbot

Sapphire

Sarah

Satisfaction

Seven Brothers

Society

Sophia

Sovereign

Speaker

Star

Stork

Success

Sussex

Swan

Tenth Whelp

Thomas and Lucy

Thomas and William

Thomas Bonaventure

Tiger

Triumph

Tulip

Unity

Vanguard

Victory

Victory

Violet

Waterhound

Welcome

William

William and John

William and Thomas

Worcester

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Perhaps we are going about the name of the ship all wrong. Perhaps we need to choose a name that is specific to the area. Examples...

We could call the ship The Southernmost, which is a nickname for Key West.

Or Cayo Hueso, the original Spanish name for Key West. Cayo Hueso (pronounced kī-yo-way-so) means "bone key", because it is said that the island was littered with the remains (bones) from an Indian battlefield or burial ground.

Cayo Hueso is really growing on me already. Perhaps it's the historical material behind the name. When people ask us, 'Why, Cayo Hueso?', we can tell them that is the original name which the Spanish gave the island. Not to mention the amount of Spanish influences in coin, fleets, and history in the Caribbean.

You may find this of interest...

Popular legend has always held that Key West received the name Cayo Huesso (Spanish for "Bone Key") at some point in the late 18th century. However, a Spanish Document from the State Archive In North Carolina dated June 14, 1681 refers to "the enemy gathering at Cayo de Guesas" in order to invade Havana. In the nineteenth century, especially after 1821, when Florida became a U.S. Territory, Key West developed into the major center of population and commerce of South Florida.

Geographic Location:

Located at the southern terminus of U.S. Highway 1.

References:

1733 Spanish shipwreck chart shows Cayos de Guezo. Antonio de Arredondo chart (1742) shows Cayo Gueso. Juan de Liguera chart (1742) shows Cayo de Huesos. Father Alaña's chart (1743) shows Cayo de Guesos. Thomas Jefferys' chart (1769) shows West Kay. O'Carol Plano (1770) shows Cayo de Muessos. DeBrahm Chart (1772) shows Hueso. The Gauld-Faden chart (1790) shows "Cayo Huesso commonly called Kay West." Blunt chart (1846) shows Thompson's Island, Port Rogers, or Key West.

http://keys.fiu.edu/gazetteer/00000338.htm

Fwiw, technically, Key West is not in the Caribbean. From an international boundary perspective, if memory serves, it is actually in the Atlantic.

B)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Sure. I thought you might find it interesting or maybe useful in some way. If I could find a period chart of that area for you I'd send it your way.

Not that my vote matters, but I like the idea of a bermuda sloop with that name. On the other hand, I'm also fond of the name Merry Christmas.

Hmmm... you are handy with a pen and ink. If I send you a copy of a modern chart, do you think you could copy it/turn it into a 1720 version?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.