Creating the 1720 Careening Camp

Captain Jim

threads on here drift or fade as is seen by how many boot posts there are and cutlass posts etc. was thinking a sticky about getting a downladable or hard copy reference would be helpful for those new to our way of doing things is what i was referring to so that those new to the pub don't have to reinvent the wheel every time a lubber comes aboard ....just a thought :unsure:

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aye lads an lasses, as a newbie lubber who woould like to release me inner pirate and do so well the idea of a cohesive small get started resource sounds grand and i be sure that there be others that would jion in teh mayhem er fun as well if we knew where to start with such as kit and mannerisims. Cheers

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Hi Callenish and Salty,

Yeah. Threads here do tend to get lost.

That's why I'm hosting a bunch of "How-to" guides on my website. We're just starting, but our own Mr. Foxe and I plan to have something very useful to you in the New Year.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

and not to worry about a jacket,

I messed up on that line.... I have to wear a jacket on my way to PiP... but the last three years it's been to hot to wear it durring the day...

Anyway... I should have said.... Make your shirt, waitscoat, trousers, breeches or slops first, then think about a jacket....

I know a lot of good threads have "fallen down" the pages... and are sometimes on the second or third page, that no one ever goes back to read... but with some cross-links here to the good ones, they will re-surface to the top when we start posting in them again.

showing us wearing our coats on Duval street don't show that we were all sweating our donkeys off.

That is how I got so stinky also.... sweating so much wearing my jacket.... I need a few chages of cloths for next PiP.... I'm sure stinky Pyrates are authentic... but everyone a PiP got really good at telling wind direction.... :huh:

And if we find something particularly good, we'll pyrate-n-paste it here, perhaps as a sticky, especially if it concerns basic kit and camping stuff.

Right now the Holiday Season has me in its grip, not a lot of time to work on this project. The pace should pick up again after Hanaquanzadonmas, as we get all of the basics set early.

"Where's Patrick?"

"I think he's north of us, about a quarter mile, according to the wind."

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Shameless Plug Alert!

Or you can wait until you get there and buy everything from Reconstructing History!

If it's hot, we have lovely light linen shirts for you to change into.

If it's cold, we have frock coats and sailor's jackets and sleeved waistcoats to keep you from taking a chill.

If it's windy, we have canvas watchcoats guaranteed to repel wind and water!

We'll even have sweet-smelling herbs to make even Pat smell nice again! :huh:

This has been a shameless plug by your local neighbourhood textile pimp.

So, my sweet little paisley procuress, you're planning to come for sure? You can't be promising warm (or cool) clothes if you won't be there. I know you to be a procuress, but not a tease.

As a matter of fact, I was thinking about starting a separate thread as a wish list for sutlers. A sort of a "If you bring this I will buy it from you" sort of thing. If Smoke and Fire had brought a pierced-tin lantern, I would have purchased one. Or if Callenish had made it there, one from him. Its always better to buy ahead of time, but at the last minute, suddenly I get to go stage, would such a list be a good idea or not?

3ff66f1f.jpg

I am a naughty, naughty girl, Jim... I'm trying to make so many promises that I will be obligated to come to PIP next year.

Seriously. I really want to come and sutle at PIP in 2007. :huh:

To answer your question: As a sutler, having customers post wish lists is a wonderful thing! None of us can take everything we have in stock to every event -- especially the ones far away. If I knew ahead of time that people were going to buy lots of sail cloth, I'd make sure I had bolts of it. And if I knew no one was interested in Renaissance patterns, I could leave them at home.

Patrick, we have hit a dilemma: To post in Twill or Plunder? It’s about how to get accurate clothing, sort of a hybrid of getting and accuracy. I think that it might best go in plunder with links to Twill and a sticky in 1720. What do you think?

3ff66f1f.jpg

That's where it gets tricky..... what threads to use.... (and where to post them)

For example... the Seinfield Shirt thread..... that shirt wouldn't work as period for the Careening Camp.... If we started a new thread in Capt' Twill, on period shirts, what do we do when someone post that Bob's Pyrate Shop sells a nice shirt, with a lace-up front opening, and in red or black, silk like poly/cotton?

If we post in Capt. Twill, do we specify in a "shirt thread" that it is only for shirts that could be worn in 1720?

There are a lot of people with a lot of information, just gotta figure out how to orginize it.....

While I think posting the research in Twill is fine, as long as the headers are very specific about the date involved, I am highly opposed to the possibility of crossover from plunder posting sources and ads for suppliers. We have a box for that. If that becomes the case, then I think you would be better keeping it all in the PiP box with multiple headers there.

Hawkyns

Twill Moderator

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Patrick, you did a wonderful job organising the threads in Twill.

However, I really think that because those threads go so far off topic sometimes, they will be very confusing to beginners. There's a high noise-to-signal ratio in those threads. If I were a newbie reading some of them, I'd end up tearing my hair out and still not knowing what to wear!

I invite you all to come and read the articles on my website. By the new year, there will be "How-tos" for pirates and seamen that you will likely find interesting.

Thanks, Diosa!

I'm spending my holidays uploading a ton of articles that have been sitting on my hard drive half-written or mostly-written. I'm revising and revamping and sending all of them live over the next couple weeks.

So soon there should be even more stuff to read. Enjoy!

I'm going to index all of the clothing (costume) threads in Plunder tonight (gotta go through 23 pages of stuff tho....)... It took about an hour to cut and paste all the threads in Capt. Twill.

After they are all in an index, and easy to find, I will go through them and see which threads are really usefull for what to wear for the 1720 Careening Camp...

I figure it's "like killing two stones with one bird... :huh: " By indexing all the clothing and Costume threads, it makes it easier for me to find stuff, so I can go through all the threads looking for information usefull for the Careening Camp... and helps other Pub members find stuff as well.

I think there were maybe 2 threads on Period camping in Capt. Twill, I figure they are going to be getting a lot of post really soon tho.... I'll link them in here later....

I'm thinking of making a Sea chest, and all of the stuff it would contain, that I'd ship to PiP ( I have to look up some info on how to do so ,,, but I have time...) Some of the listed items, I'd wear on the plane getting there, but this list is everything (not including weapons) that I'd like to have in the Careening Camp.......

Items that are underlined need to be replaced with more period appropriate items, Items marked with an * I still need to get, make or modify.

*Sea chest

1 Grey Jacket, 1 old patched blue Jacket with no buttons

1 Blue wool waistcoat, 1 cotton-ticking waistcoat

1 blue checked linen shirt, 1 blue checked cotton shirt, and 1 cotton shirt

1 Pr. Cotton slops, 1 pr. Cotton trousers

3 pr. Cotton stockings (2 red, 1 blue)

1 pr. Shoes with buckles

1 pr. Cotton drawers

Belt

Belt knife

Flint & steel

* Pocketknife

Pewter Plate

Horn Spoon (replace with Pewter)

Pewter Tankard

Horn comb

Razor

*Pr. Scissors

Soap

*Towel

Sewing Kit

Spy Glass

1 clay pipe, 1 broken clay pipe

Tobacco

Sail/Tarp

2 wool blankets

Oilcloth

Sea bag

Rope

8 Tent steaks

Thanks, Diosa!

I'm spending my holidays uploading a ton of articles that have been sitting on my hard drive half-written or mostly-written. I'm revising and revamping and sending all of them live over the next couple weeks.

So soon there should be even more stuff to read. Enjoy!

Woo hoo!! I just saw the guide to women's clothing and did the (not very period) snoopy dance. Thanks so much. I sent that link to all my girls who want an idea of what to wear and were starting to think about making items for next year.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Thanks, Diosa! I hope your girls find it of use. And please tell them that if they have any questions, I'm only an email or PM away.

And the Snoopy Dance is ALWAYS period! B)

The list of possessions with which Alexander Selkirk was supplied at marooning (Published in the Englishman by Sir Richard Steele)

"He was put ashore from a leaky vessel, with the captain of which he had had an irreconcilable difference; and he chose rather to take his fate in this place, than in a crazy vessel, under a disagreeable commander. His portion were a sea-chest, his wearing clothes and bedding, a firelock, a pound of gunpowder, a large quantity of bullets, a flint and steel, a few pounds of tobacco, a hatchet, a knife, a kettle, a Bible, and other books of devotion, together with pieces that concerned navigation, and his mathematical instruments. "

Which he kept here (Courtesy of the National Museums of Scotland 1999):

seachest(W).JPG

And that is a period sea chest.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Saved the image.... gotta enlarge it in Photoshop..... not dovetails.... but those notchy things at the corner to add more surface area for glue......

COOl.................................

Hey... about 11 months untill next PiP...... gotta get a whole buncha stuff done by then............

edit:.... OH yah.... any ideas about the dementions of that chest..... or should I just guess at it........