AFTER ACTION REPORT PIP 2006

Ok... somebody has to be back home.

Give us the details... who was there, what happend etc, etc....

and illustrate with pictures if possible!

Greg aka GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here it is....

I arrived in Miami at 1205, and walked to the Greyhound bus station.... the bus was suppose to be there at 12:45, but it was an hour late, and I was beginning to think that somehow I'd missed it.... also there was no Silkie.... When it finally arrived, She was already on the bus.... We talked for most of the trip down to Key West...(well actually I think I kinda did most of the talking...)

We caught a city bus at the airport (right next to the bus station in Key West), and got off at Truman annex.... It's not THAT long of a walk through Truman Annex to Fort Taylor, but Silkie had a suitcase, a carry on, and a duffle bag.... and I felt kinda responsible for how far it is to the Fort, so I carried the duffle bag in for her... We got into the Fort, but there was no one there, I think everyone was at the show they were having... some tents were set-up, so we looked at the stars and talked some more.... Finally we decided to just sleep under the dinning fly until someone showed up . I'm not sure what time Jim and Rusty showed up, I'd fallen asleep (Not going to say who snores tho..... :lol: ) But lets see if I get this right... "Silkie slept with all the guys. And Rusty sleeps around" (Rusty had a bivy sack to sleep in, and would disappear each night...) OH Yah... and the other joke... "That's the other end of Deval Street..." (It's one of those "you hadda be there " kinda jokes...)

Thursday morning we set up camp, and then Jim and I walked into town for some coffee.... Ran into Rusty and Silkie on the way back

Watched the Walk th' Plank and End of Hurricane Flag Burning Walked around Deval St... Stopped at (I think it was) Dirty Harry's where a couple bought us some drinks, Then went to the bar next to Capt. Tony's where we ran into a drunk that really likes Robin Hood, and wished up a Happy New Year, which started another joke.... We started celebrating each New Years starting at 1700...(another 'You hadda be there thing...")

Friday. We only had one Redcoat...(all the others had to work) so the battles were slightly silly... especially the second one where the single Redcoat shot all of us with his last bullet... It was interesting to watch how quickly rust would grow on Blaze's blunderbuss tho... About noon, there was some rain, but it was a nice warm rain. Jim's and my tarp worked, but Silkie's leaked some... I needed some cigarettes and had to find a Western Union, but discovered that the closest one open after 5 was in Marathon, so I went Sloppy Joe's listened to the musicians, then to the Green Parrot, and finally walked back to the Fort... Had some rum...Went to the Pub, had a few more beers, then we ended up in camp for more beer. Interesting observation here... It is not a good idea to drink beer and rum and not eat since the day before, and only drink one tankard of water the whole day...

Saturday, We had more redcoats for the battle, (and a turncoat) And (I think it was 4 cannons and a mortar)... But they made a lot of nice loud BOOMS... and there was a local radio station when we got back inside the Fort... About maybe 6ish, we walked to Deval St, Stopped at (I think it was Dirty Harry's,) had a few drinks there, and as we were walking down the street, a man wanted to get a photo, and then wanted us to be on the Sloppy Joe's web cam so his buddy could see him with some Pyrates, we then went down to Capt. Tony's where he bought us some drinks... The musician there had an interesting song about smoking in his car, and we added a good "AAAaagh" in the middle of the song.. Dang... he almost lost it... We walked to the marina to look at all the boats....eeeer.... Ships, then we walked back to the Pub.

Sunday morning there was a light rain, as we walked to the Pirate Soul museum. We went early enough that we had the whole place to ourselves (I won't say anything about photography... Wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble....) But it did have some really interesting stuff... Jim and Silkie were going to the battle on the Wolf, so Rusty and I walked out with them, then looked into some interesting shops. We stopped at one of the marinas so he could talk with a friend of his, and heard the cannons going off at the Fort, so we missed that battle... That night there was a Slide show of all the photos from PiP... cool...

Broke down camp on Monday morning, I'd asked Jim if he could get Silkie and me to the airport, I didn�t trust the buss' to get us there in time... but we just missed the Greyhound... Luckily, Jim was great, and we caught our bus at it's second stop... so we got to the airport in time...

I know a lot of this reads like an itinerary of where to go drinking in Key West... but everything in the Fort is so laid back, that I just had a good time... got to talk to a lot of people, and unfortunately, missed talking to some people that I wanted to... This is only the second year inside of the Fort, so it has room to grow, and should be even better next year....

Alright then. Tuesday night and real life finally gets out of the way.

To begin, PiP WAS A BLAST!!!

Too many stories! To relate all will take days. So, I will take days to do this in installments. Mind you that this will be an upbeat posting. I will reserve criticisms for a later thread with a mind toward improving PiP.

On a more positive note, there was a photographer there who took more that 5000 pictures (no that is not a typo I meant five thousand bloody pictures), including capturing a green flash. Huzzah for James Callahan.

Wednesday: Patrick, Silkie, Rusty and I arrive at various times, all after dark, so no one set up camp. We all slept under the dining pavilion. Harry was great to stay up and let us all in, although Patrick and Silkie kind of broke in. I will defer to Patrick and Silkie to fill in the circumstances of their arrival. (Edit: I see that Patrick has done that)

You will notice that I italicized “Harry was great”. It will be a recurring theme.

There was a Conch Republic Naval Commissioning party that we were invited to but I missed it due to traffic. Harry can fill you in on the details. Callahan pictures to come, including the official Conch Republic Flasher.

All slept well, except for the intermittent chain saw that ran off and on all night. And yes, that is an inside joke. You will have to come to PiP to get the details.

Thursday: Rising early we set camp. The scenario that we set up was of a Pyrate crew ashore during the careening of their ship. To this end all of our camps were made out of material that would have been found on a ship. Patrick has hand-sewn a spritsail to act as his shelter. Will this man ever stop sewing? Silkie and I both slept under canvas set up as sail scraps or raw canvas used as temporary shelter. I brought two oars to aid in set up, earning my tent the sobriquet of “Oar House”. Silkie’s canvas proved to be too open-weaved to resist the rain (more on that later.) Rusty did not bring a tent and slept in a “bivy sack” during our stay and could be found in various places on the walls in the morning. So the running joke was that Silkie was too loose, I spent my time in an “oar” house, Patrick was for “sail” and Rusty slept around.

Harry was great and provided both Silkie and Patrick with tent poles, stakes and guy ropes.

Thursday night we went to the End of the Hurricane Season destruction of the flag ceremony and Walk the Plank championships. Patrick, Silkie, Rusty and I spread flyers, both at the Pier House and on the way back to camp. The bartenders were great, letting us post flyers on the walls and talking up the event. We will need to do more flyer spreading next year.

Friday was muster for black powder inspection at 0900 hours. Silkie had a new Scots pistol purchased from Callenish Gunner that Patrick and I helped her to sort out and learn how to shoot. By the end of the gathering she was loading like a pro. Nothing like BP, eh Silkie?

During the first Pyrate takeover of the fort there was only one redcoat. All of the others had to work. We dutifully went out anyway, hurling insults and BP smoke at the fort. Two things conspired to make the invasion drag a little: the redcoat had very little powder and the humidity that kept things from going “boom.” The humidity was so bad that Braze was quite taken aback to find that a glaze of rust had formed on the barrel of his blunderbuss in the time it took to walk the 200 yards to the front of the fort. We also had trouble getting the powder to ignite, all except Silkie, the beginner. Things slowed down so much that we formed a “kick line” and started doing our best Radio City Music Hall impression, Rockettes style. Pictures to follow.

Later that day the redcoat took back the fort, killing all of the defenders with his seventh and last bullet, much to the amusement of the rest of the island.

It’s late, more tomorrow.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Yet another perspective:

I arrived at the Miami airport on Wednesday morning around 9:00 AM and headed straight to the Greyhound station (I was unaware that the bus would pick up at the Airport.) Once at the station with far too much baggage and no breakfast and no lockers to check the baggage I was stuck there until the bus arrived. It was due at 12:20 PM. I kept an eye out for Patrick, figuring it would be difficult to miss a 6’+ pirate. 12:20 PM there was no Patrick and no bus. An hour later no Patrick, but the bus had finally . I felt awful, wondered where he could be, perhaps thinking he missed the Greyhound he found other transportation. Once on the bus they announced the next stop was Miami International airport. I was right, couldn't’t miss him, there was Patrick in full pirate gear. We talked; he shared his sketch book and helped me figure out what I was doing wrong with the shirt I was working on. His instructions were so very helpful I can finish what I have started.

We arrived at the fort after a walk down a very, very, very long driveway, Patrick playing pack mule carrying my lean-too canvases and bedding for what seemed like forever. By the time I got to the fort my feet were sore and I think that is when I managed to hurt my ankle, sprain I think ...a bit swollen but I have been keeping it wrapped since my return to reality. The lock was open I think, Patrick just flipped it open …unless he has some sort of lock picking skills that I didn't’t notice …bloody pirates.

Patrick and I then sat on our bed rolls and shared a small bottle of rum that had been given to me by a friend. When we had finished there were still no others there so, we decided …sleep in the food pavilion. Eventually Jim, Rusty and Harry arrived. We made our introductions then I sleep with Patrick and Jim! Wahoo! Snoring? Saws? I don’t know what the guys are talking about; I had no trouble sleeping.

More later

Thanks!

This is just the kind of thing I like to read... since I can't be there myself.

Its seems like you guys had a lot of fun and cemented some friendships...

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I'm terrible at names, so I had to look it up from Jim's post....

But between James Callahan and Rusty, they took so many pictures, that I didn't even bother taking my camera outta the haversack...... The slideshow of James Callahan's pictures was fantastic... I'm looking forward to seeing them again ........

Yes its a shame me and my crew had to miss that. I would have loved to seen them. Alas there is always next year, I plan on staying in the fort this time. It will be nice to have to be capt'n of 12 next year. :lol: I will post the "Rooster Killers" story tonight. Stay tuned.

Some initial photos are at https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtop...=0entry234316

We're not going to bother reposting them over here.

We have several hundred photos our crewe shot and I'm awaiting the others to come in from other crewe members, so we should end up with about 400 total.

Good times.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

so damned pissed i had to miss it :blink: the surgey took less than 2 hours to put the new clockwork in m'chest and i was out of hospital the next bloody dayso when everyone was packing up i'm in heading to the hospotal so that God willin' i'll be around for next PIP!!! :lol::lol::huh:

Callenish,

I hope this finds ye well! Seems many of us missed it this year.. looking forward t next n seein ye there (if not somewhere sooner)

Take care o yer health first - so ye can enjoy all there is t enjoy!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

By Thursday night most of the vendors had arrived and set up, but the rest arrived Friday early. Smoke and Fire was there and plans to return. They had a lot of stuff from in or near our time period, and could put a serious hurt on my wallet. I bought a mallet bottle from them (among other things) that served to prevent dehydration for the rest of my stay. Don’t ever underestimate the power of nature to kick your butt. I had had a headache for two days: carrying water about in the mallet bottle solved the problem.

Now seems to be an appropriate time for a quick note about the weather. It was hot. Damn hot. And humid as hell. It also rained Sunday morning, and a little each night that we were there. That’s how we found out that Silkie’s tent leaked. How humid was it? I couldn’t keep pipe tobacco lit because it sogged out. Our tents, set up in the sun, still started to turn green. And I already told y’all about the black powder and rust incidents. Amazing. Monday though, after most had gone home, I had to have a burger at Schooner Wharf. As I sat there at about 1330 hours, the temp dropped 20 degrees in about half an hour. Funny ol’ world, innit?

On with the show.

Saturday’s schedule called for only one invasion in the afternoon, so we spent the morning shopping in the thieves market and just laying about the camp looking authentic. Or is that authentically tired? Did I mention that we went out on the town every night and that quite often some lubber, er, I mean enthusiastic patron of historical reenactment would buy us drinks? Aye, fully armed we were, traipsing about Duval street as if we owned it. Swagger! I meant swaggering down Duval street! Traipsing is done at the other end of Duval, mate! (Yes, another inside joke. Come to PiP and find out the rest).

Freebooter Jack and his crew arrived at the fort about 1300 hours, just in time to be recruited into the invasion party. In this version the Wolf fired on the fort and the fort responded. Pyrates (that would be us) “landed” from the Wolf and made a frontal attack. The English (seven at this point) came out to repel us and were ultimately defeated, largely because one ran away and another switched sides (huzzah for Turncoat!) We victorious pyrates marched the survivors back to the fort and raised our flag. One of our valiant number fell in battle, Jack’s first mate Brig. She was carried back to the fort where it was discovered that it was only a flesh wound. I think that it was just too hot and she didn’t want to walk.

Saturday night was the Christmas parade. Patrick, Silkie, Rusty and I were too tired or footsore to do the whole parade so we went to town for "medicine." The streets were lined with folks, filling the sidewalks waiting for the parade to get to them. But the street was open so we walked in the street. People started applauding. So we gave them the parade wave and kept on going, a small pyratical parade of our own.

We ended up in Captain Tony’s, where another lub…I mean enthusiastic patron bought us rounds. That song Patrick mentioned about a guy smoking pot in his car as a line in the chorus about how he “…don’t know where I are…” We spotted the opportunity on the first chorus, joined in with “ARRRR” on the second and the boy singer let us take it on the third. And yes he was about to laugh himself off the stool.

The Gators won, USC lost and I’m a pyrate drinkin’ fer free in Key West. Life was good.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Well, the event was a blast! My Entire crew had fun but I'll start out at the beginning.

We were traveling down from Orlando on Thursday eve/ Friday morning. I was up all day Thursday getting or rental van umm... ship. Then the crew from Savannah arrived about 1:30 am. We got on the road around 2:30am. Arrive in Key West about 10 am and set up our camp. (We were not in the fort unfortunately.) Around 1300 we take off for the festival. We got there in time to see a redcoat single-handedly take the fort. That was a feat! Our crew and I hung around for a few more hours until I began to crash.

We hit up the Publix on the way back and grab some vittles. Got back to our campsite and had a few drinks and food. I kinda over did it. Lets just say there was a mess on the ground the morning. B)

So the crew begins to rouse and we get dressed and run off to breakfast. We decide to pillage the Denny's and invade. With twelve of us, it really did seem like an invasion. Our server was one of the best I'd seen. Without a pen or paper he got all our orders correct, for all twelve! So after that our ladies of the crew wanted to do a little shopping. So we swaggered down Duval Street. (Now that I think of it, we parked on "the other end of Duval St.") ;) We ended up at Mallory Square and took some photos and let the ladies do some shopping.

I and me boatswain, Mark, picked the ship. Drove..errr... sailed back and rescued the crew from marooning. We headed back to the festival. As soon as we walk in there was capt'n Jim recruiting as many of my crew as he could for the battle. Soon enough we head and begin waving our swords and shouting insults. Once the redcoats arrive, my first mate Brig takes a hit. I stoop down and begin pick her up for the rest of the battle. Afterwards "it tis but a flesh wound" and we go our merry way. Our crew runs out and grabs meal and supplies to return back to the fort.

When we return the scene is spectacular. Everything is lit with candles or lanterns. I came strolling up to the archway and peer in. There is the pub. On me left there be the tap and down and to the right there be the tavern. The orange flickering glow of the lantern lights dances along the wooden table and benches. There is a wonderful candle lit chandler draped from the ceiling. Me and my crew snag a good corner to the right, next to one of the windows. They start up and good game of dice when Barnacle Beau shows up with guitar and mandolin.

I had brought me tin whistle and harps (harmonicas). So we join up and start playing. Some of the other patrons began to join in singing. Barnacle Beau was generous and let Mark play the mandolin. (Mark was kicking himself for not bringing anything to play.) We played for about and hour and moved it outside due to the heat. It was just to warm inside the tavern. There we played and sang and had a good time.

We called a night and got up the Sunday morning and packed up. It was a short trip but a fun one. My wife and I are coming back next year and this time we are camping in the fort. I will have a flintlock pistol or two. So I can join in on the fun. We had a great time and hope to everyone and more next year.

Linky to some pictures!!

Thanks for sharing the photos. I snagged a couple of me on board the Wolf with the Hurricane during the Walk the Plank Championships. Amazing how we all managed to have so many different experiences at the fort.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Cascabel finally checking in.....

Braze and myself arrived in town on Tuesday night after our long drive from Atlanta. I immediately set to work getting actors to replace the ones that were not going to be there for the Bonny & Read trial. I have been the director of the play for several years, and making sure it happens as it should falls to me. Sometimes I don't find out that everyone is not available until after I get there. This time, I was quite pleased with the new people, and they did a wonderful job. Thanks to Diosa, who played Mary Read, and all the others for making it a success.

There is quite a lot of work that goes on "behind the scenes" at these events that many are not aware of. Thanks to Braze for getting the land battle organized. Harry worked tirelessy to make it all work, and a huge HUZZAH to him.

I spent quite a lot of time on the "WOLF" sails, so I missed out on some of the fort activities, although I shouted assorted remarks at the fort along with lots of firing of powder from my blunderbuss and pistol.

I know I missed out on meeting some Pub members, and for this I apologize. I had really wanted to be able to "put faces with the names", so if ever you spot me at an event, PLEASE introduce yourselves so that I can say hello. Those that I did get to talk to were most enjoyable. I had a chance to sit down and talk with Patrick Hand, which is always a pleasure. I had not seen him since Ojai, and I also got to meet Silkie. Capt. Jim is always a welcome sight.

Don Maitz and his wife Janny Wurtz were on hand, and Janny brought her bagpipes to entertain us like last year. I'm going to try to talk her in to playing during the battle next time. If you ever get a chance to hang out with Don and Janny, you will find it a pleasure.

Thanks to all for coming out and supporting the event. I know many came from great distances, and I'm glad everyone had fun. We even had repeat visitors from overseas !!!! Hope it is even bigger and better next year....

>>>>> Cascabel

Aye, I didn't recogize you until I went looking through me pictures and saw you and I think Braze in one them. surlycrew.jpg

So, maybe next year, or later in another event. We certainly had fun.

Aye, Shipmate....

Ye found the both of us. Sorry I didn't get to say hello....

>>>> Cascabel

…what can I add to the others?

Thursday, Jim is correct about the dehydration. I hadn't even been drinking much but I was ill that morning! Thought I was fighting a migrain. Thought food would help. WRONG! I still had to rest a few times when returning from breakfast. I needed water! So I started filling a plastic bottle and hiding it under my tarp. Fire ants didn’t bother me that I noticed …until the last few days. They chewed Patrick up, just too sweet! Now I am having an allergic reaction!

Harry was great …wait; I think that was mentioned before.

Four is a good sized group for carousing. Lubbers like to hang out with pirates and buy them drinks when there aren’t too many of them! Lubbers also like to have their photos taken with pirates. I figure at $1.00 per pirate per photo we could build a new ship in short order! LOL

I dropped my camera, the one I borrowed from a friend. It doesn’t work any longer. I take it to the repair shop today, I probably can't buy that blunderbuss I had my eye on now!

Friday, bought a new belt. the one I had was a plain mans belt this caused one rather humorous problem. My Murdock has a VERY tight belt clip. I could not get it off of the belt easily ...drawing my pistol had become a comedy routine! I am the proud owner of a nice green ring bellt. I need a baldrick now!

Saturday, one of us managed to pick up a woman while carousing. Unfortunately it was me! LOL She was staying at the “rainbow” end of Duval Street, she immediately took to me and offered me a blow-pop, when Rusty and I headed into the leather shop (Rusty was looking for a cat-o-nine tails) she followed me around, not him. After she left Patrick started teasing, “Sheeeliiiikesyouuuuu.” Well, at least someone found me attractive in that get-up! Once home we tried to spend time in the pub but it was just too noisy and HOT so we spent time outside. I stayed with the noisy pirates while the lads moved off to the quiet of the ramparts. Me noisy …a little! LOL

Sunday When we returned from our visit to “The Pirate Soul” museum and ride on the “Wolf” (my first time on the water) I was told that a woman had been looking for me. Later, the young lady from Saturday night shows up at the fort. By this time I am thinking Patrick is right. She is an attractive woman and although it is flattering to have someone show an interest she isn’t my type! So, I have to ice my swollen ankle and sit for a while. Instead of the guys joining us (especially Rusty whom she referred to as “the cute one”) they left the two of us alone. Patrick was wrong. She was just being friendly; she said that if she hadn’t been gregarious on the vacation she wouldn’t have done anything since she was alone. So, we talked, she watched the poor excuse of a sunset with us then left. I went to bed early 11:30 or so.

Monday at about 6:00 AM and STILL Jim had to get us to the Greyhound bus! Thanks again Jim! Slept during most of the bus trip, put myself on standby and got to take an earlier flight.

Now life is back to the every day. :blink:

One of our valiant number fell in battle, Jack’s first mate Brig. She was carried back to the fort where it was discovered that it was only a flesh wound. I think that it was just too hot and she didn’t want to walk.

Aww come on Captain Jim, don't be giving away my best tricks :ph34r:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who made our first year at PiP enjoyable- your hospitality warmed our hearts and gives us something to look forward to next year! :blink:

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel