Instrumentals??

Rats

I'm looking for some good Kick Arse instrumemtal music for promos.

And though I love it, I will not steal the POTC music!

I'm looking for heroic and gritty stuff!!! :ph34r:

Anyone???

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Unless anyone on this site has a band or knows someone who is willing to be a hired gun, you have to consider the copyrwite infringement issues....best to pick someone that is 1. already dead 2 .already public property. I would pick Wagner ( flight of the Valkyrie, etc.)or some dark Tchaikofsky stuff. Handel seems too royal (as was done to the soundtrack of King George III).

If I had my way, I'd go with Dead Can Dance (4AD label), but that might be an infringement problem if you have commercial uses in mind.

SHIP2-1.jpg

well now it depends on what your final use for it is Rats.

There are quite a few free production music sites online. Most charge a minimal fee based on your expected market. You can always get these for a discount going through a "student" though :ph34r: you can also get several cd compilations of royalty free production music. Most of these are geared to ads etc and have variations on the songs in standard lengths (.10, .30. 60 & .90 plus a full track usually). then there is always the public domain use. Most classical pieces fall into that but if they are done by a group, the group holds rights to theur version (though not the music itself) there is also the option of finding songs by defunct indie bands, tons of those out there and some were actually good. This is a great option if it's "rock" music you're looking for. the other option is to find a local band/musician that already has a finished song that you like although this takes a lot of looking. You can also consider kissing up to the musicians in your local college (you happen to have one right there). In my experience if you drop the words "film" a few times you can pretty much get anything you want for free. It doesn't really matter if it's a big production or a promo, everyone wants their 15 minutes. People will hand over the keys to a brand new top of the line Caddie if it means their name will be in the credits (trust me on that one :ph34r: )

woh, way more than I'm sure you really needed to know. Feel free to nag me if you need any more ideas.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I agree there needs to be $ involved if there is $$ to be made.

Unfortunately this is simply for a slide show presentation intended for public enjoyment, which is therefore covered under freedom of speech.

Even if it's not used for the slideshow, I just need some good music!

Rats

sig2.jpg

try here, not a lot of choices and not really "good" but fully free

http://www.flyinghands.com/cat-free_music_...lips.html\

have you checked your library? You never know what sorts of CD's will show up. Mine has a 3 cd set of sound effects for pete's sake.

I'll keep digging. I've got a ton of links in my favorites but it's been a while.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

How long do you want the piece to be? And by heroic and gritty, I'm assuming you are referring to something a bit heartpounding????

You might try Ecstasy of Gold. It's on a soundtrack for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. You can search it up in Google, or I can send you a couple versions Metallica has done. It's a pretty dynamic tune, really.

As a matter of fact, here it is on YouTube:

Ecstasy of Gold

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

I thought copywrite only means that you can't make money off of someone else's project. seems to me, maybe for a presentation having nothing to do with sale of the music is fair game. However, I have noticed lots of websites that play midi files of tunes, and I don't think it's because midi sounds nice.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Rats...

I can only think of the new Sting album right now,"Songs From the Labyrinth". It's more mellow than what you are looking for. Should I think "Cut Throat Island" or more of the sound of "Raiders of the Lost Ark?" There is Captain Blood and Other Swashbucklers by Erich Wolfgang Korngold. This CD offers an assortment of scores.

I don't know if our local library system would have it in WI, but it's worth the search.

As for credits and such, I think if you give some sort of credit at the end of the presentation, then you should be fine...but don't quote me on that.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Thanks for all the advice. But when it comes to the legalities....

1.) Truthfully I could really care less...

2.) I'll just find some nondiscript music and use it!

3.) If the Creator of said tune approaches me and dislikes the fact I used said tune. I will be glad to offer to have him contact his laywer and ask me to remove it.

4.) Because..... Check number 1, same answer!

I could care less...

And in case you think you're the next king of pop and your lyrics are going to cure cancer or bring millions to your pocket book...

Again, I could care less! This is a hobby and nothing more.

Thanks to all who have offered ideas and positive feedback

I'll take a look at the sources offered and see what we can use

Here's to ya!

:blink:

Rats

sig2.jpg

There's a lot of misinformation out there regarding intellectual property rights. For example: if you bought a CD, that does not 'legally' allow you to make a copy of it to play in your car while you keep the original in your home player. You are allowed to make a 'back-up' copy to play, but only if the original is 'archived' (i.e.: put away, not stacked up in your home rotation).

Similarly, even public school drama departments have to get permission to put on a copyrighted play, whether they charge admission or not.

If you were to read Shakespeare aloud in the public square, no problem. Tom Stoppard? Now that's a different story altogether.

Bear in mind, you only need permission (and you better get that in writing!) from the copyright holder. There's no requirement that money change hands.

There are some artists who explicitly license their work as available for non-commercial uses without further permissions. You see this most often with electronic artwork. It is very rare in the music industry.

Lastly...uh, pirate!

• 1 month later...

Yarrr!

It really depends on what music you like, but here are some cool songs/bands

Liquid Tension Experiment does a series of instrumentals (Namely "When the Water Breaks," it's seventeen minutes long but it's really cool)

Mortiis is also an instrumentalist, his longest song that I know is "Emperor of a Dimension Unknown" And that's twenty-seven minutes long.

Demons and Wizards does a really cool instrumental called "Beyond the Ice"

Blind Guardian has a myriad of instrumentals, my favourites are "Weird Dreams," and "Gandalf's Rebirth"

I could go on forever but I'll spare ye the rest.