Admiralty Slop Contract 1706

Fox

Shrunck Grey Kersey Jackett, lined with Red Cotton, with fifteen Brass Buttons, and two Pockets of Linnen, the Button Holes stich’d with Gold Colour Thread, att Tenn Shillings and Sixpence each.

Waist Coat of Welsh Red plain unlin’d, with eighteen Brass Buttons, the holes stich’d with Gold Coloured Thread at Five Shillings and Sixpence each.

Red Kersey Breeches lin’d with Linnen, with three Leather Pockets, and thirteen white Tinn Buttons, the Button Holes stitched with white Thread, at the Rate of Five Shillings and Sixpence each.

Grey Woollen Stockings at the Rate of One Shilling and Ninepence per Pair.

SC1.jpg

SC2.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Foxe

Is that the Kersey you got at Torm?

If so, DAMN, you are a fast sewer!

Looks good!

And by the way, what are the dates for your South West Pirate Festival again? I am trying to convince the warden to let me have some time off for good behavior!

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Sure is Greg!

The jacket took me about 2 days and 3 evenings, the waistcoat and breeches took about a day and an evening each.

Oh, and thanks.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

That is outstanding work, Foxe! I am very interested in the construction of your shoes---what type are they, and might I ask where you found them? I like the fact that they have no buckles, but lace instead. I would like to make a pair like that. :rolleyes:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

They're a knackered old pair of laced lachet shoes that I got from a guy called Gary Soames about 10 years ago. He doesn't have a web presence, but ask Kass...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Foxe, is there any chance you might have close up photos of your pockets and sleeve openings? It would be nice to see comparison photos between yours and Patrick Hand's jacket details...does your coat have pocket flaps? Hard to tell from the photo...thanks! :lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

I'll try to get some close ups, but my camera is playing up (not working to use the technical term). The pockets do not have any flaps on but I may change that, and the cuffs have a single button on each and a short (2 1/2") opening.

Making a good or bad target wasn't really an issue for most of GAoP warfare, particularly at sea. If people are shooting at you with cannon it really doesn't matter much what you're wearing, and most muskets were too inaccurate, and their users too untrained, for good sharpshooting except at fairly close range. The 17thC Caribbean buccaneers and New England rangers were the first forces to really explore the possibilities of marksmanship, and even then it was a lot of years before warfare got much beyond one large body of men shooting as much lead as possible at another large body of men.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk