A functional cutlass

Thanks Kass...

I was able to glean most of those answers from your previous post... I just inconveniently happenned to be posting my questions just as you were anwering them the first time. B)

Looks like a great group, but probably a bit far away for me to commute, if you even take on beginners like me. Although if your PA area members are anywhere in the vacinity of Pittsburgh... I may be interested in meeting them... But I am going to go out on a limb and guess that if the group is centered in DC, that your PA area members are more from the Philly area....

Thanks for answering all my questions though! B)

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filch, you're a young scrat. Remind me to beat you soundly next time we meet.

If you can find them the only swords I've ever seen that come close to AC blades are Bailiff Forge. The trouble is that they are no longer producing so you can only get them second hand and they're rarer on the market than rocking sea-horse crap.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I'm actually curious as to how many different Pirate groups/re-enactors actually do the whole steel sword fighting stuff. I've not seen anything but the staged (and obviously so) fighting at the Renn-Faires that I have been to (mostly in the form of battle chess). Having experience with live steel combat, I would be incredibly curious as to how common it is in GAoP re-enacting.... And if it is reasonably common, what groups are doing it and where they are located...

Not that it helps you much, but my crew does it too. We're in southern New England.

I have 3 AC swords, the Irish hilt backsword, the shell and ring hanger, and the protomortuary sword. Love them all, even if the backsword can damn near dislocate my shoulder on a full swing.

I also have some lighter pieces that I use for steel combat. One is a shell guard cutlass from Darkwood Armoury. I have also taken a couple of double canelure blades from American Fencing Supply, shortened them, rounded the tips, and put them into more period hilts. They are good for people who can't swing the heavy blades about.

Hawkyns

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

B) Jack! How could you? B)

I'll have you know that I was protecting my virtue! B)

I cannot speak for the ruffians who tried to make off with me, but I had drunk nothing but good strong coffee all day!

[iNSERT AD: Visit the Empress' Head Coffeehouse! Coming soon to a GAoP reenactment near you!]

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

B) Jack! How could you? B)

I'll have you know that I was protecting my virtue! B)

How could I? Kass, dear; you know me better than that! I'm a cad, and proud of it!

And since you were one of the few involved left standing, I'll trust your virtue was well defended, indeed. A maid has little to worry if the man (or men, in this case) be prone. Unless, of course, said maid be prone to clumsiness... B)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

How could I?  Kass, dear; you know me better than that!  I'm a cad, and proud of it!

Bravo, my not-so-good man! I'm proud of you too! B)

And since you were one of the few involved left standing, I'll trust your virtue was well defended, indeed.

Well, I kinda had to defend it. Otherwise they'd find out there was none to start with... B)B)B)

A maid has little to worry if the man (or men, in this case) be prone.  Unless, of course, said maid be prone to clumsiness...  B)

"Ooops! Pardon me, kind sir! I appear to have fallen into your lap..." B)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I agree. :ph34r:

Unfortunately a machete is not a combat weapon (even if you could use one for that purpose) and from it's complete shape it has nothing in common with a sword or even cutlass.

Marcus

I beg to differ gud sir. It iz light and fast, and will cleave a man from shoulder to crotch in the experienced hand. Not much for stabbin. But popular enough ro be called a weapon of choice from Louisiana to Cape Horn. And some were made or later fitted with cross guards and knuckle bows.

:ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Being the day before the X-mas break, and me having an incredibly slow day at work, I got sniffing around eBay...

I found that Paul Chen (distributed by Cas Iberia) makes both a practical mortuary swords and basket hilt swords...

Here is a link for the mortuary sword...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paul-Chen-PRACTICAL-MO...1QQcmdZViewItem

And a lin for the Basket Hilt one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRACTICAL-BASKET-HILT-...1QQcmdZViewItem

How would these fit appearance wise for GAoP?

I have used a Paul Chen practical Viking sword, it was okay (you get what you pay for and they are cheap averaging around $100 to $150 US each), but I did snap my blade in half after about a year and a half of heavy regular use. To expand on the snapping on the blade so as to NOT appear to be knocking the quality of the swords, it was kind of my fault the blade snapped as myself and my opponent were hitting a little heavier than normal on each others shields, and my wrist twisted slightly and I hit his shield boss almost full force ion the flat of the blade rather than the edge of the blade as I should have been doing.

Anyway, just wanted to point out a few possible options on a cheap to reasonably priced dulled and safe combat blade that may fit for GAoP.

Any feedback or comments on these blades from someone in the know on how period accurate they are/look would be great. Also any ffedback from anyone that has used these particular Paul Chen blades would be most welcome.

Thanks! And have a very happy holiday season! B)

Michael_banner.jpg

I have two of the Chen Basket Hilts. One is broken and the other sits and looks pretty in my office. I don't know how safe they are, but I do know the broken blade sailing through the air and landing about 20 feet away didn't feel very safe at the time it happened. The sword that broke the Chen basket was my Swatton Cutlass (about half the baskets weight) go figure.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

I have two of the Chen Basket Hilts. One is broken and the other sits and looks pretty in my office. I don't know how safe they are, but I do know the broken blade sailing through the air and landing about 20 feet away didn't feel very safe at the time it happened. The sword that broke the Chen basket was my Swatton Cutlass (about half the baskets weight) go figure.

Hmmm broken blade flying about 20 feet through the air.... (pauses while converting imperial to metric measurement).... yep that's about right... Same thing happened with my Chen Viking sword... Like I said, we were going rougher than normal, but it was unexpected and a bit of an upset... :)

How long did you use you Chen basket Hilt before it's demise?

I think I will do a seacrh on Swatton Cutlass to see what they are about...

Thanks for the feedback! ;)

Michael_banner.jpg