Period woodcuts/etchings

Billy Flynt

Blackbeard's Crew has begun work on our second Chantey CD and I'm looking for a good tavern scene - Something that looks quite debuacherous (if there is such a word). This album will be a bit more naughty than the first.

Something with sailors and wenches - what comes to mind is the drawing in the opening of the TV show Cheers - obviously I need something closer to the GAoP.

Can anyone lend assistance?

Billy Flynt

Blackbeard's Crew

Master of Events

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. " - Mark Twain

It's not seamen but I love this scene of cavalrymen in Flanders in 1707.

camp_1707.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

The top picture is a little late, but I LOVE the bottom picture! Oh I'm going to be scouring that for details for weeks to come!

Thanks Paul :ph34r:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Oooo! The figure in the foreground on the floor is a woman wearing a mantua!

Any chance of a date or atribution on the bottom one?

Thanks Paul!

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Oooo! The figure in the foreground on the floor is a woman wearing a mantua!

Any chance of a date or atribution on the bottom one?

Thanks Paul!

Unfortunately, the Book that I found this picture in has no picture credits.

It is taken from

1700 scenes from london life,

by Maureen Waller,

So it is a safe bet that it is from the turn of the 17th-18th Century, from the mens costume I would guess last part of the 17th Century.

Perhaps you could email the British Museum, I have taken a quick look at the BM website, but as it is not possible to sort their collections by year, I had no luck.

I can send a bigger resolution copy of this scan to anyone who is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone other than myself cares, but notice the Montero cap on the third man in the left side of the bottom picture... :rolleyes:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Sure did, Kass! Nice picture, too! And Greg, thank you so much! I will keep my eyes open for it. I hope you guys had a nice Thanksgiving? :D

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

Ooh, on monteroes... Haycock's slop shop stocked two "mount eare" caps in 1699...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Yep, the Montero is what I will be found wearing about 99% of the time...I do have a nice tricorn for dress occasions, but the Montero cap is my headwear of choice for my daily routine...much more practical aboard a vessel than a tricorn, not to mention softer and more comfortable. :)

(1945)

But wait a minute Greg... that can change as you guys havn't seen it on my head yet... :unsure: No, I'm just kidding! As ugly as the cap is, it will probably make me look better! :P

(1945)

• 3 weeks later...