What does your avatar mean?

Caraccioli

Less cutsey aye?........

Is this LESS cutsey? :lol:

scarytrick.jpg

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now make it your avatar. :lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

ohhh it will keep changing...

Not to get OT, but have you ever seen a cat yawn? Check out those teeth - and we keep those things close by as soft, lovable pets. :lol:

Sharp, pointy teeth! (Ok, that seems to have been posted almost entirely to get OT.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Not to get OT, but have you ever seen a cat yawn? Check out those teeth - and we keep those things close by as soft, lovable pets. :lol:

Sharp, pointy teeth! (Ok, that seems to have been posted almost entirely to get OT.)

I'll follow you OT, with the caveat that we change bring this back on T after Halloween.

My cat did a number on me the other day. I was doing laundry, and she likes to sit on the dryer to soak up the warmth. Since the kids were in the den, I picked her up with the intention of transporting her from atop the dryer to the den for a game of cat and mouse, chase the string, etc. She extended her claws and one of them managed to snag me in the little groove between my fingernail and the skin on the tip of my finger. Ouch. With a clothes basket in the other hand I was completely at her mercy. Her cat fu is strong.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

As the Staff person for five cats, I know of their fu quite well. Fortunately, mine don't use it on me very often, and when they do, it's during play — but, play with cats, play by cat rules.

As for my current avatar, I put that up for Halloween. It's a picture I took while visiting the old Spanish mission in Santa Barbara, CA (as part of my Ojai trip). The doorway that goes from the cemetery back into the church has three skull and crossbones over it. This is one of them.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I forgot to notice Blackjohn's H'ween avatar...perhaps because it doesn't sparkle like Jenny's does.

I have been watching old episodes of Honey West recently (which I don't particularly recommend - although they do remind me a little of Shell Scott novels - from whence the Honey West novels arguably sprang). Anyhow, Honey has a pet ocelot which is shown just about every episode and the thing looks mean. It clearly plays rough. So this made me curious about how the stars of the show regarded old Bruce the ocelot. And I found this:

"During the production of the program the irascible ocelot became snarly and squirmy when it got too hot or tired. Anne Francis jokingly summarized her experience working with cats by saying "If a cat is happy, it bites and scratches; and if it is unhappy, it bites and scratches."

From TV Acres. Anne Francis played the character of Honey West.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh, geez, I'd forgotton all about that show. LOL. Gosh, Mission, where do you find this stuff?

(Okay, I know you found it on TV Acres, but...how did you find TV Acres? )

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Oh, geez, I'd forgotton all about that show. LOL. Gosh, Mission, where do you find this stuff?

Actually, I was looking for info on the ocelot and the cast response to it a week or so ago. (If you do watch the show, pay particular attention to the way the ocelot behaves. It looks mean to me.) So I Googled "ocelot Honey West" and that came up. Then this discussion came up and the quote was interesting enough that I remembered it. Viola! (Alas, the wizard is always more amazing than the man behind the curtain.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Actually, I was looking for info on the ocelot and the cast response to it a week or so ago. (If you do watch the show, pay particular attention to the way the ocelot behaves. It looks mean to me.) So I Googled "ocelot Honey West" and that came up. Then this discussion came up and the quote was interesting enough that I remembered it. Viola! (Alas, the wizard is always more amazing than the man behind the curtain.)

Alas, I am in a TV dead zone. So what shows I do watch, are ones you can rent on DVDs. Currently, I am addicted to House. However, I even remember a picture of Ann Francis and the ocelot on the cover of TV Guide—way back when.

(Oh, and I never look behind the curtain. I don't want to spoil the magic!)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

My TV is not hooked up to the outside world on purpose. Anything I watch is DVD or VHS. (Netflix. Love it. The entertainment world is my oyster.)

See, I have this thing about commercials...it has to do with not pouring crud into the dulled, unguarded mind.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oddly enough, to a certain extent, ours was the same deal. We only got one fuzzy channel, so when I moved the furniture around one day, we just went unplugged from the arial. That was about 15 years ago. And you're right about the commercials. The few times we stay at a motel and watch cable, the commercials drive me crazy—to the point where I want to hurl the remote into the screen! Just reinforces our resolve to never have cable.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

My avatar is the First building we chose to house My vintage clothing business, that was in Seabrook, Texas.

Hurricane Ivan caused so much damage to the Kemah area that I went back to my website and let go of the brick and mortar business, too costly. I even went back to work on my degree that I left suspended and not completed. That is when I began to work extra in the Theater at my college. So much discovery watching the plays from creation to stage. I asked the college proprietors if they would take Pirates of Penzance into consideration, and lo and behold, The College of the Mainland will be presenting "Pirates of Penzance" * July 16, - August 9, 2008

Amazing what can happen whem you drop a message in a bottle!

there is some of the playright work in this section

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...userid=gudngone

Please click this link for "Pirates of Penzance" information

http://www.com.edu/campus-life/theatre.cfm

Edited by Crows Nest Vintage

"Your pieces of eight Ye Wager soon, I shall be sparkin' some Pirate art by the light of the Moon"

Cool Crows nest!

aw thanks Mission..

I like them all really :)

Oh and in a nod...I watched The Great Pumpkin the other night..

and sleepy hollow..and actually the pirates of Penzance came up in conversation just the other day...

• 2 months later...

Time to dredge this hoary old topic up and examine the state of my avatars since last July. (Has it been that long?)

Note that since Stynky changed the size format of the Avatars, you will find these to all be random sizes. I used to make them all the same size which made for a nice clean format, but I can now be lazy. Ah, the wonders of our modern life!

First, we have this:

which I captured from a Youtube video of the Foghorn Leghorn cartoon Feather Dusted. I decided it made me look fat (Isn't it strange how we tend to think people look like their avatars?) and I changed it to this:

which is what I like to tell myself I am like when nobody's looking.

Then I learned that a new edition of the Sam & Max graphic novel Sam & Max Hit the Road came out with a few extra bits in it, including another one on pirates, so I rushed out and got that. This lead to a series of Sam & Max avatars including:

and:

and finally, just Max (who I know I am nothing like, but whom I sometimes tell myself I would like to be like when nobody's looking):

Then Duchess and MadL started teasing me about sounding and somehow looking like Paris Hilton ( :P ) based on one of those somewhat cheesy airbrushed pictures which can be found in this important thread. So I swiped the image of the dog, who I have named "Butch." (You better not make him angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry):

Which brings us up to date. Just in time for the new year!

Mission_banner5.JPG

I believe mine's from the cover of a novel. Didn't notice the artist's name at the time I snagged it (drat), and I never have been able to Google the original again.

Anyway, I really love the expression on this pirate woman's face. Goes well with the expression on the theatrical flapper-pirate in my sig pic. Both cynical, rather than sweet -- 'coz I ain't no feckin' Earth Mother!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

See, I have this thing about commercials...it has to do with not pouring crud into the dulled, unguarded mind.

Commercials...aren't those the things that play during bathroom breaks? :P

I'd toyed with the idea of cutting back on cable subscription in year's past, but every time I do a decent series comes on (and is cancelled after a season or two :lol: ).

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

• 4 weeks later...
:rolleyes: Ooo, Jill, I don't know if that's such a good idea. I'd be afraid of what he might do with me.....He might come up with something worse than cannibals — like make me go to a pyrate Barbie Doll convention. :rolleyes:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time for an update, mainly because Cheeky is being cheeky.

An important footnote from Max (The Collected Sam & Max: Surfin' the Highway by Steve Purcell)

Gizmo as Rambo from Gremlins II: The New Batch. (There was a reason I chose that originally although I'm darned if I can remember what it was.)

Avatar%20caddydino%20brain%20thing.jpg

The "brain with feet" (as someone calls it in pms) from the wonderfully campy 50s horror/adventure style graphic novel Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

And the current one:

"Do not call me Bubbles, for that is not my name! If you were to address me by my name Mojo Jojo, that would be correct! For my name is Mojo Jojo, Furthermore it is not "we" who shall be ruling the world, but "I". I who am Mojo Jojo, not Bubbles, shall rule this world alone, which is to say, without anyone else. And when this world is ruled by one person, not a collective group, that one person who will be ruling the world will be none other than ME, Mojo Jojo, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Mission_banner5.JPG