What does your avatar mean?

Caraccioli

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Note to self... find all my old avatars and post 'em again...)

Yes, do! I was hoping you would.

jess, here are some ideas for an avatar. (Well, these are ideas I might use...)

maulface.jpg

Or this one...

undead_jack_monkey.jpg

Or (saving the best for last) this:

cow%20pirate2.jpg

(I bet you thought I forgot all those discussions we had about shucking corn. (Or maybe you just wish I had.) Ha ha!~~ Mission never forgets! :lol: )

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Various avatars, in no certain order...

He shall wear the jewelled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow.

Conan... thinking about kicking ass and taking names.

Ditto.

The avuncular Master Po. I must've been philosophizin' with Phil or Mission or Duchess or all three.

Me, this is actually from the cover of our first album! Hampton BB Fest... '04?

You can't see her, but Vera is in this pic! From the big firelock shootout in '05.

With rum, and Vera, traipsing through the jungles of Havre de Grace, '05

av-1144.jpg

In the jungles of my backyard, wearing French Army bush hat and British WWII sunglasses. Oct '06

av-1144.gif

Sir Topham Hat, or if you prefer, The Fat Controller. I must've been pontificating that day. Relatively recent

Annapolis for the Volvo Ocean Race, April '06?

Not resized... Havre de Grace, and the steel jungle, summer '06?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Geezie peezie... the First Hampton Blackbeard Festival!

Shark! Taken from the sunroof of my suv

blackadder.jpg

Blackadder!

blackadderav.jpg

Blackadder!!

ncc1701avatar.jpg

Feelin' geeky!

Fieldsavatar.jpg

Not resized... WC Fields!

furyavatar.JPG

Kicking butt and taking names... Nick Fury!

conan02.jpg

Now I'm serious!

johnship.jpg

On the f'c'sle of the Kalmar Nyckel, somewhere off the Delaware Capes, 1697.

pikeavatar.jpg

Pike. His doctor once said, "A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away."

My Home on the Web

conanavatar2.jpg

Conan. Still troubled.

jayneavatar.jpg

Jayne. Let's be bad guys.

jeffriesavatar.jpg

Lionel Jeffries in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang... A posh, posh travelling life, a travelling life for me...

Polish-1st-Armd-Div-Badge.jpg

Polish 1st Armored Div... Getting in touch with my roots... again unresized

snakeavatar.jpg

Call me Snake... one of my faves!

xmaspresentavatar2.jpg

From one of my favorite stories... Dickens in musical form, Ghost of Christmas Present!

I like life, here and now

Life and I made a mutual vow

‘Till I die, life and I

We’ll both try to be better somehow

And if life were a woman

She would be my wife

Why? Because I like life!

cryeravatar.gif

The cryer with his three hats.

chavatar.gif

A classic!

rufus_t_firefly.gif

Groucho... what can I say?!?!?

calicomather.jpg

Calico Mather... Cotton Mather's pirate brother

That's it as far as I know.

My Home on the Web

(I bet you thought I forgot all those discussions we had about shucking corn. (Or maybe you just wish I had.) Ha ha!~~ Mission never forgets!  )

I still see row upon row upon row of corn every once in awhile when I close my eyes. I have never in my life tipped a cow though, I will have you know!

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

(I bet you thought I forgot all those discussions we had about shucking corn. (Or maybe you just wish I had.) Ha ha!~~ Mission never forgets!  )

I still see row upon row upon row of corn every once in awhile when I close my eyes. I have never in my life tipped a cow though, I will have you know!

Y'know... Mission does indeed forget. We were talking about tassling corn, weren't we? There's a big difference. (Isn't there?)

"Am I not?"

avatar%20hobbes.jpg  avatar%20hobbes.jpg  avatar%20hobbes.jpg  avatar%20hobbes.jpg  avatar%20hobbes.jpg  avatar%20hobbes.jpg  avatar%20hobbes.jpg  avatar%20hobbes.jpg  avatar%20hobbes.jpg  avatar%20hobbes.jpg 

I would just like to note that this is one of my favorite avatars to date. Every time I see it on one of my posts I grin like an idiot. (Well, not every time, but a time here and a time there - it's sort of a random occurrence, really.)

That's it. Move along, there's nothing to see here.

Caraccioli, El Presidente & First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S (Of which Calvin will never again be a member :lol: ) ;):lol:

"Am I not?"

• 1 year later...

My new avatar is actually an old avatar which I believe is from the POTC ride at Disney Land. (I've never been to Disney Land, but I'm pretty sure he isn't at Disney World.) While it could never touch Hobbes as a cool avatar, I actually think he is more representative of my interest in pirates.

See, he looks like he's explaining something...probably how to do an amputation in under 2 minutes.

And the old ones I haven't listed before that I can remember are:

Luna Lovegood - an odd choice, I must admit. Not sure why I did that.

avatar%20jack%20gold%20monkey.jpg

Jack from Tales of the Gold Monkey. Kept that one for a long time, I did.

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez...known as the Rat... (Clearly not resized.)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

Jack from Tales of the Gold Monkey. Kept that one for a long time, I did.

avatar%20jack%20gold%20monkey.jpg

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez...known as the Rat... (Clearly not resized.)

I knew I recognized that dog, but I couldn't place it! I suppose I could have asked, but it never struck me as being important ebough to remember to ask...

Now you've got me thinking about that old show, I HAVE to do a search on it to see if it is available on DVD... NetFlix here I come! :ph34r:

My avatar, which changes about every few months or so, tends to just be a my favourite photo of myself at the moment... Nothing interesting or exciting... Although I have used a cute pirate themed animated gif from time to time just to amuse myself.

Michael_banner.jpg

Mine isn't anything of particular significance, just a sunset on the beach.

Probably time to get a new one.

Hey Mission, I went to Disneyland a few months ago and took a photo of their PoTC skeletons playing chess. The picture is a little fuzzy and the location VERY dark, but I managed to coax the pirates into the frame (sort of).

Linky

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Alas, TotGM is not on DVD. Put your name on the officious Amazon "notify me when this comes out" and that might help get the series released. (Everyone is invited. :ph34r: )

Thanks for the pic! That is nice - much nicer than the ones we took when I was there, albeit fuzzy as you noted. (It's the lighting that makes 'em blurry - years of attempted Haunted House photography has taught me that.) It might be a bit much for an avatar, tho' - TMI (TM Digital I)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

There! (Best I can do with my crappy tools.)

skeleton%20chess%20small.jpg

If it were big enough, that would make an awesome avatar. Maybe I'll put it in my profile photo eventually.

• 2 months later...
Alas, TotGM is not on DVD. Put your name on the officious Amazon "notify me when this comes out" and that might help get the series released. (Everyone is invited. :lol: )

Thanks for the pic! That is nice - much nicer than the ones we took when I was there, albeit fuzzy as you noted. (It's the lighting that makes 'em blurry - years of attempted Haunted House photography has taught me that.) It might be a bit much for an avatar, tho' - TMI (TM Digital I)

Ha! I'm on that list too. God I loved that show. I wonder if it would stand the test of time? Hopefully we'll be able to find out someday.

My Home on the Web

Alas, TotGM is not on DVD. Put your name on the officious Amazon "notify me when this comes out" and that might help get the series released. (Everyone is invited. :lol: )

Ha! I'm on that list too. God I loved that show. I wonder if it would stand the test of time? Hopefully we'll be able to find out someday.

Apparently, it was originally planned to be released this year but was deemed too expensive so it's in a holding pattern. (I'm waiting too!)

TV Shows on DVD website

RHJMap.jpg

What a bunch of old TV geeks we are. Like blackjohn, I wonder if it was really that good? It seemed really good in retrospect, but so did Speed Racer. (Seriously, those of you who liked it when you were kids should go back and watch the old Speed Racer cartoons. Awful.)

[All philosophical-like]It's funny, but Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is still one of my favorite movies, never did quite get the fan-base and adulation that Lucas' other opus did. There are mammoth and many SW sites on the web, examining every facet and detail of that series, but not so much so for Raiders. The new version of the SW AF line begun in '95 continues to run strong while the nascent Indy line seems already to be languishing on the pegs. Yet, Raiders seems to me to be the superior Action-Adventure film by a good stretch. Maybe it's as Lucas says and Star Wars, for all its warts [like Ewoks and silly, maudlin family dramas] is the better example of the classic heroic epic. [/All philosophical-like]

I still want a shot at seeing some old Tales of the Gold Monkey episodes so's I can judge for myself...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

The avatar at the moment is from a storefront in Bristol, R.I., about a couple of doors down from where my mom grew up. bristol was a true GAOP pirate port in the day, with tales to tell. The photo is just temporary until I have the time to actually put my own head in. The storefront skeleton seems more like an undead british Rev war soldier, but befitting just the same.

IMG_1179.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

av-3475.png

Hmm. A Halloweeney avatar for the season? As one of the (two) masters of an absurd number of avatars, I consider this a challenge. (That one's far too cutesy, though.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG