What does your avatar mean?

Caraccioli

Continuing the effort to rebuild the Beyond Pyracy forum after the great thread clean out of 2005, I am restarting this thread.

My current avatar is a group of monkeys examining a bunch of hooks and latches on a wall. It seems monkeys enjoy exteral stimulation for its own sake, according to my Psychology book. (Actually, I just thought the picture was funny.)

And here is my Mission ID's current (and probably forever more) avatar:

Now, I used to have a list of all my/Mission's avatars and what they meant, but that was long ago and far away. Here are the pics, but you'll have to guess what they mean for now. If there's a hue and cry for it, maybe I'll explain them (although, for the life of me, I can't figure why there would be a hue and cry for it):

avatar%20angelo%20freaky.jpgavatar%20angelo%20moody.jpgavatar%20monkey%20undead.jpgavatar%20monkey.jpgavatar%20monkey2.jpgavatar_raptor.jpgavatar%20ein.jpgavatar_brain.jpg

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm there seems to be a moinkey / headwear theme....

Mine be sinple, th caribbean and tho it's hard t'see a jolly roger in th sky to th right.

Eventually this be th back o me banner... just havent decided when yet.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

It took me a year to decide on an Avatar design. I wanted my character to mature a little before I posted one.

It's a horse skull with a black heart under it. I chose a red background because everyone else was using black! B)

The meaning? Well, since it is a pirate flag, it means "Your worst, blackhearted nightmare come true."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Actually there is one major theme and several minor themes in the body of work that is "Mission's Avatars."

The minor themes include skeleton pirates, Yosemite Sam as pirate, Jack the Monkey, animals that have entertained me, self-portraits, random strange sh*t and famous fictional pirates for $1000, Alex. The major theme is: weird things that interest and/or entertain me.

"Am I not?"

Ahhh... spectre of the past... long dead avatar thread returns to haunt us...

You know, that was one of my all-time favorites.

My avatar... a hint, in the form of a song...

A posh, posh traveling life, a traveling life for me,

First cabin and captain's table, regal company,

Whenever I'm bored I travel aboard but ever so stylishly,

Port Out. Starboard Home. Posh, with a capitol P O S H posh.

B)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Mine be sinple, th caribbean and tho it's hard t'see a jolly roger in th sky to th right.

Eventually this be th back o me banner... just havent decided when yet.

Mission and I are/were known for our almost monthly change of avatars, back in the day.

My Home on the Web

I'm not very original, it's just my colors. Yawn!

I've been thinking it needs to be a different color to stand out better in a fast scoll though. Or am I the only one that uses the avatar/sig line as a way to find their last reading point in a thread?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Irish Car Bombs: A pint of Guinness with a shot of Jameson's dropped in it, glass and all. Down them both when the shot hits the bottom. Spit out the shot glass. Repeat. Delicious.

B)

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

M'avitar is m'colors. Green fer life (red is used too often fer m'liken). Black as death. A skull for a'fear factor and a seal ...a sealkie. Wit a few celtic symbols tossed in fer good measure. M'tinkin uv changin the one on the skull to the more traditional representation of the triple goddess. Waning crescent moon, full moon, waxing crescent moon

My previous avitars were all seals or sealkies that I plucked from the internet.

I'm not very original, it's just my colors. Yawn!

I've been thinking it needs to be a different color to stand out better in a fast scoll though. Or am I the only one that uses the avatar/sig line as a way to find their last reading point in a thread?

:lol: No! that's another reason why mine is red.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

M'self...(shrug)

A gentle reminder that a sword is just an extension of this Sea Witch's hands and never, ever too far away from me grasp. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

No! that's another reason why mine is red.

see twas a lot easier before everyone had the same sig line. Now who's bright idea was that? :lol:

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Mine is about No quarter will be given (RED)and the skull is to strike fear of death wit a sense of humor in the Eyes and smile :lol:

The Oderlesseye caracature is the obnoxious rabble rouser Pyrate.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

see twas a lot easier before everyone had the same sig line. Now who's bright idea was that? :blink:

:blink: Hmmmmm, now let me think! (And a fine job it was, too)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

My avatar... a hint, in the form of a song...

A posh, posh traveling life, a traveling life for me,

First cabin and captain's table, regal company,

Whenever I'm bored I travel aboard but ever so stylishly,

Port Out.  Starboard Home.  Posh, with a capitol P O S H posh.

B)

Mr. Smee?

No seriously, I still don't know. I feel like I should...

"Shooting a man in the middle of his cadenza? That ain't good form, you know."

"'Good form,' Mr Smee? Blast good form!"

"Am I not?"

Grandpa Potts from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It's from the scene where he sings Posh Posh Traveling Life while Baron Bomburst is hauling him away in the zeppelin, during which time they are loosing altitude over the English Channel, and poor Potts keeps getting dipped in the drink.

Lionel Jeffries... one of my favorite Brit actors!

My Home on the Web

Oh, yes! I had just watched that a year or so ago based on your recommendation.

A really interesting children's movie I saw recently was The Neverending Story. The puppetry was a tad hokey, but the idea behind the story was really cool. (Not unlike the idea behind A Wrinkle in Time, actually.)

"Am I not?"