Good durable comfortable shoes

Kenneth

I have had several pair from different companies and they all are either uncomfortable after a few hours or they slip and slide on everything you walk on. I put insoles in them and they still hurt. The leather soles even after being scored still slip even if i'm walking on grip tape. so far the only shoes I have liked are the ones I made myself out of an old pair of square toed hush puppies. All the ones I find are always black and they always have the flaps for buckles. Does anyone make a pair of comfortable brown pair of rough side out period shoes fitted for being laced? I'm not a shoemaker so please don't say "Make a pair"

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Kenneth,

there be a post later on in this section on shoes from Fugawee ye might look at. Also in Captain Twill there's a whole discussion about the shoe/boot thing. I wondered too about slipping with shoes, having gone flying many times on the ice/snow or rainy sidewalk in leather loafers. Good lucke! :huh:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I've never had a problem with slippage. I just scrape the hell out of them on our pebble steps out front. As far as form fitting them, get some shoe stretch (Walmart and others have it in the shoe section. I spray the entire inside of the shoe with it and then wear them for several hours. They form perfectly to your feet. I got a new pair of shoes last week just before Halloween and they were horribly uncomfortable until I sprayed them - then they were like I had had them for 20 years.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Which companies?

Flying canoe, Jas Town, Sutler Mt Misery, western wedding boots.com, Ghost forge, etc, etc. I end up selling them to friends and putting on me Hush puppies.... Maybe I should try that shoe stretch!

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

I just got back from an event at which I wore the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned, bar none. I have horrible feet and I'm sore after a day of walking around in even the most comfortable sneakers. But these shoes made my feet feel like I wasn't standing at all. It was amazing.

I got them in England at the Living History Fayre in Warwick a few weeks ago. A gentleman named Andy Burke made them:

Andy Burke Historical Shoes and Boots He does custom work, but these were off the rack. And yet they fit me like they were made for me.

Andy's a great guy and he's more than willing to ship to the US. If you want really period-correct shoes that are comfortable and gorgeous, contact him!

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Today/yesterday I got my new shous from this guy:

http://www.sattlerei.cz/

He also ships to the states. A groupage order is possible, if we take more then 15 pairs, even mixed. The discount I then have to discuss. I guess, it will be 15 - 20 Percent off.

Sample order could work as follows:

You sign in here what you wanted to have. If we reached the breakpoint, I need your sizes. therefor I upload a form.

Advance payment should be 50%, the other 50% before shipping when done.

This will take 30 to 60 days, approx.

I need one person in the States recieving the shoes by airfreight (it's the cheapest way, maybe you have a friend here at the forces, then I'll ship it to him and transport is free over to the states.

The person who will do the work gets his/her shoes at 50%, payed from a little percentage out of the discount.

Interested? In yes, I'll open up a new thread.

The yours,

Jack

• 1 month later...
Today/yesterday I got my new shous from this guy:

http://www.sattlerei.cz/

Captain jack,

This guy sells an impressive range if kit, But I could not find a price list on the site, Am i missing someting or are prices not listed?

Which shoes did you buy, and how much did you pay for them?

Kass, I spoke with Andy Burke at Torm, I was very impressed by the quality of his work, I am considering getting a new pair of period shoes, and he is currently at the top of my list.

Andy is brilliant. And I've never been more comfortable than wearing his shoes. And might aren't even custom made! I just bought what he had.

Has anyone bought shoes (or hats) from this guy?

Dirty Billy's Hats

As well as selling impressive looking custom made hats, If you click on the "Footwear" link on the left hand side of the page, you will see that he produces quite nice looking 18th Century Buckle Shoes at $100 per pair.

paul

i think these may be fugawee shoes....

Still, they are not straights, the latch is wide and ..... oh hell, its a later shoe....

buckle_shoe01.jpg

tempting for uk folks as 50 quid is a great deal for a 1760s shoe.

greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

The Fugawee website is out of action at the moment, but I did find a site selling Fugawee shoes, and on comparison with the photograph, These are not Fugawee, for example, Fugawee mens shoes have a longer tongue.

I know that these are not perfect for GAoP, but they are a lot better than some of the shoes that you see pirate re-enactors wearing. (Heck, at least they aren't bucket boots!) They have square toes, and the latch could be cut down to accomodate a period buckle.

In my opinion, these are what I call, "Within Tolerence", there is nothing obviously wrong with them, they would not catch the eye as incorrect to someone standing ten feet away.

Dirty Billy's Hats

As well as selling impressive looking custom made hats, If you click on the "Footwear" link on the left hand side of the page, you will see that he produces quite nice looking 18th Century Buckle Shoes at $100 per pair.

Dirty Billy is a legend in hatware. There is no one better !

Shoes... didn't even know he did shoes...

Whilst following another thread, I came across these shoes,

16c%20shoes.jpg

They are supplied by Hightower Crafts, who produce kit for live action roleplay, so Authenticity is not a high priorety for them, but I think that if you did a bit of work on the latchets, and replaced the buckles with an authentic pair, they wouldn't look half bad.

Dirty Billy's Hats

Yes Dirty Billy's hats are the very best, BUT if you plan to order one, make sure you get your order in well in advance of when you need it... there is always a wait but it is well worth it in the end...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/