Best flints for a flintlock??

Rats

If you bought your rifle from Middlesex., just let Wendy know you need some flints she can load you up with plenty when your gun ships. If you bought Loyalist Arms then ask them.., Other wise Track of the Wolf may be a good choice they have good English Flints spark everytime !!!

Track of the Wolf

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I would have to agree with Harbor Master about Track of the Wolf. The Tom Fuller knapped flints are terrific. The price is very reasonable, and even better if you buy in bulk. But, at about a buck a piece, they are well worth the money. If you find your gun favors a certain shape, just let them know in the "comments" section that you would prefer shorter, longer, flat topped, hump topped, etc. and they will do their best to sort through their selection to find what you are looking for. I've ordered a few dozen from them and I've only had one that failed on me and shattered. That's a pretty good track record when you consider they are natural rock, and are sometimes prone to such things.

I get mine from my dad, or, in a pinch, Cabela's.......fortunately, I have the benefit of having one within driving distance of my home.....

though, they're TOO perfect.......they have to be machine cut somehow, a knapped flint doesn't have such perfect edges........

good thing my dad's a flintknapper!

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Cpt. Alva, there are knapped flints, and cut flints...... the cut flints are all smooth and look like they were.... well cut on a machine.....

The cut flints work in a flintlock..... but...... well they are too modern, especialy for an old firing system.......

That didn't type out right.... but part of the fun of firing flintlocks, are the ties to the past.....the how it WAS done kinda thing....... cut flints take "something" away from all of that.......... ( I won't even mention trying to fire Pirodex outta flintlocks....)

Ahoy,

there is a german gunsmith named Dieter Stifter, http://www.vorderlader.de/

He offers flints from a special part of northern Germany, known as "Lueneburger Heide", and he swears, that are the best flints ever. He offers them as well as cut as in knapped.

I think, within the US Dixie distributes his flints. Finest ones I ever used with my guns...in my opinion.

Tally Ho,

Jack

( I won't even mention trying to fire Pirodex outta flintlocks....)

Pyrodex...firing outta flintlocks??? Do those even GO together? :rolleyes:

Tried it back when I was switching from cap lock to rock-lock. Thought I was doing something wrong. I think I got it to fire ONCE. It was discouraging enough to get me to drive 3 hours to buy 2 pounds of the real stuff.

As to flints...I got my first ones at Scheels sporting goods. Two flints for, if I remember correctly, about six bucks. (Hey, I was new to flints...what did I know?)

The first one was sacrificed in figuring out how to use the darned thing. The second one shattered after the second snap of the lock.

From advise of a muzzleloader group, I went with Track of the Wolf. I got enough flints to fine tune the lock and never looked back. I've heard from folks that use the cut agate "flints" in their guns. The overall opinion is that they are pretty hard on the frizzen.

I really like the looks of the amber French flints, but the more stories I read, they don't hold up as well as the English rocks. Some folks have really good luck with them, though.

Still, they usually run for more than twice the cost of the black English flints. I wish the reverse was true, because the amber rocks sure look nice in the lock of a gun.

But, in the end, go with what you like. If the amber appeals to you, and you don't do a lot of shooting, clamp one in your lock. If you want a good, sure fire rock, go with the black English flints.

As Patrick said, the cut agates seem too artificial. But, if that's all you can lay your hands on...at least it's one step closer to period than a cap lock.

Brad

aka "Pegleg Pete"

Pyrodex...firing outta flintlocks??? Do those even GO together?

When the stuff first came out, there were a few people that would load black powder and then Pirodex .... and they had to use black powder for the primming...... just too much work when a load of black powder works.....

I never messed with the stuff..... I figure If I'm firing a black powder gun, I wanna use black powder.... :rolleyes:

This thread is getting more interesting than flints.

I have always used BlackPowder and I agree with Patrick.

However....., ? Its almost impossible to get BlackPowder in Washington state now. I have to order it and Pay a 20.00 HAZMAT fee ., which is not worth it for 2 cans of cannon grade., 2-2f and then a can of 3f for prime ., on thos 5 cans ., the Hazmat ups it 4 more bux a pound.

Anyway yea., Pyrodex doesnt work....................., so we thought . After a few experiments ., yea we made pyrodex flash in the pan.., Then we proceeded experimenting., and it can easily be done when in a pinch., I am now a believer.

Yea when short on BlackPowder., you could dump say 5 grains of BP into the barrel., then then immatation propellant., then BP in the Pan. Boom.

But now we figured out how to do it.,with Pyrodex only. :)

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Cpt. Alva, there are knapped flints, and cut flints...... the cut flints are all smooth and look like they were.... well cut on a machine.....

The cut flints work in a flintlock..... but...... well they are too modern, especialy for an old firing system.......

That didn't type out right.... but part of the fun of firing flintlocks, are the ties to the past.....the how it WAS done kinda thing....... cut flints take "something" away from all of that.......... ( I won't even mention trying to fire Pirodex outta flintlocks....)

oh, I so agree!, I only buy the machined ones in a pinch......like I said, my dad knaps flint all the time......

I'm fortunate enough to live in Ohio, and once a year make a pilgramige to Flint Ridge (An ancient Native American Quarry) to mine rock......

as for Pyrodex, I only use it with my Kentucky rifle.....which is percussion........I don't yet own a GAOP Accurate gun.....but thanks for the heads-up!

the flintlock I use isn't even mine........it's a Rev War rifle, actually......WAY out of period......

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

But now we figured out how to do it.,with Pyrodex only.  :)

Ok, now my curiosity is up. Not to stray too far from the original post, but...what's the secret?

I've tried what Patrick suggests, and it does work, but it's kind of a pain. And even then, you still need at least a small quanity of the real stuff on hand to make it work. I've also had some limited success with blending 1 part black powder with 1 part Pyrodex. It eliminates the need for different loading steps, but it's still not as fast as straight black powder.

So, how do you go about making it work? Just grind it to a fine powder? The only time I got straight Pyrodex to ignite, it was pretty much a "Clatch....sizzle, sizzle, sizzle....BOOM!" Not very practical...although kind of entertaining in a way.

I'm sort of hoping the solution is rather involved, since I recently gave away nearly a pound of the synthetic stuff because I found it pretty much worthless for my flintlock.

And as to the hazmat fees...yeah, I hear ya. The cost of the fees nearly doubles your price on a few pounds. Some online dealers will sell as little as a few pounds, but mostly they only go as low as 5 pounds per order. Most sell in quantities of 25 pounds. The thought of having 25 pounds of the stuff sitting around kind of gives me the heebie jeebies.

Fortunately, I can still get the real stuff, but I need to spend the better part of a day and nearly a tank of gas to get it.

So...what's your secret?

Brad

So, how do you go about making it work? Just grind it to a fine powder?

Thats it.

I bought a marble pestle and mortar and ground the pyrodex fine., real fine.,do this with about 10 grains., thats enough to play with., then after its fine like a dust., try that in your flash pan., It doesnt spatter., it takes off woosh! We made about 200 grains super fine for a days shooting we put it in a priming flask. we primed the barrel., then used our 2f Pyro., then primed the pan., it fired evertime.

Theres no real great replacement we have found for good ol GOEX.., however with the problem getting it in Washington., and the non availability of it in the PH ( I cant get GOEX in the Philippines) .,I have to find other ways to have my fun. There are fire work houses in the PH everywhere., so I have to use a little chemistry and figure out what will work., whats safe and whats relieable......, I have a flintlock tinder starter I use to test powders there. Its been fun

Just a side note, but on topic. If you ever see an amber colored flint, buy it. It is more than likely a French flint. and could very well be original. They spark like crazy. I was fortunate enough to get several (I worked in a Black Powder gun store for 13 years back in the 70s). They came off of a French shipwreck from the 1700's. In fact, I'm still using English shipwreck flints on ocassion. Far superior to the modern ones, and I have no real reason why. Every once in awhile still, you see a French flint floating around.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Myself Ihave always used English black flint. I heard it was the best., and its never letmedown.,however after reading this post i will be trying some Amber.,if it cost a few cents more per peice., probably its at least as good. Sounds more personal preferance at this point.,however as far as lasting longer that would be nice. I always use Machined flints., there cheaper and seem to work the first time on every gun I own. All my locks seem to like the bevel side down.., anyone else notice this on your locks. (Captain Alva I noticed a rifle butt over a fireplace in the pic of your brother and the scarf. that looks like a pretty long rifle..., whatcha got there ? )

Just a side note, but on topic. If you ever see an amber colored flint, buy it. It is more than likely a French flint. and could very well be original. They spark like crazy. I was fortunate enough to get several (I worked in a Black Powder gun store for 13 years back in the 70s). They came off of a French shipwreck from the 1700's. In fact, I'm still using English shipwreck flints on ocassion. Far superior to the modern ones, and I have no real reason why. Every once in awhile still, you see a French flint floating around.

I'll second this. I made the stupid mistake once years ago of passing on some French shipwreck flints, and I've been kicking myself ever since.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Myself Ihave always used English black flint. I heard it was the  best., and its never letmedown.,however after reading this post i will be  trying some Amber.,if it cost a few cents more per peice., probably its at least as good.

Harbor Master,

If you get a notion to try the amber flints, throw out your two cents as to how they work for you. As I said in a previous post, I've often admired how they look in a lock. It wouldn't be too much of a bother to go and buy them meself, but I'm more than happy with the English flints from Track of the Wolf.

But, should you give the ambers a go, let us know what you think of 'em. Beings you are an "English flint" person yourself. An honest opinion from one that has tried both would be a great help. Of the two links I posted, I would be more apt to try Horst than Dixie. I've got no problems with Dixie...I've ordered from them before and had no problems, but judging from their online descriptions, they don't seem to "specialize" in flints...they just carry 'em. Who knows what will show up in the mail.

Let us know how it goes, should you give it a shot.

Brad

Everyone rates English Flints very high indeed, and nearly all of the Ammerican gun sellers supply them.

However this is small comfort to me as I live in England.

Can anyone tell me who makes/supplies english flints here in the UK?

I use the English flints as well. I'm lucky in that our local Sutler has a wall of 'em, so I can pick and choose then! I've tried the amber flints, but they were "cut" and most likely not the ones yer refering. The only problem I had with Dixie, the sizes I ordered were not the sizes that were sent...

Harbor Master has some brass to be grinding pyro!...I must have itty bitty balls cause I'd be payin' the hazard fee if it were me!! I gotta buy that man a round of rum and put some gunpowder in it would ya?

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

I also use the real BP, only it's the elephant brand. Which has been what my CW unit buys in bulk.

It's 2f though... 2F for the Pan???

And what size of flint should I get for a musket??

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

2ff bad juju??

I've seen folks use prerolled cartriges and pour barrel and pan from the same cart???

Not good??

or use 3fff all around and save the probs.

Loyalist suggests 2ff only they don't mention priming???

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!