Egypt and Jordan

So, I have a work obligation which will take me to Petra and Amman, Jordan, and then to Cairo, Egypt.

Yes, I will try to get to the Treasury and along the Siq in Petra; and I certainly intend on getting within focal range of the Great Pyramids and Sphinx (Ahhh... I have been inside buildings even older!). And I totally promise to post some photos here upon my return.

But, any suggestions from the Pirate crowd? I will have precious little free time to sight-see, but I will be frustrated beyond belief if someone out there knows of a Jordanian or Egyptian pirate connection and does not reveal it to me before my trip. I am aware of all the touristy must-see stuff (although I welcome suggestions from anyone who has already been to these places), but ... hmmm... pirates?

What I do know is that, apparently, Jordan is perhaps the best location in the world to purchase 21 carat gold (price + craftmanship + honesty and integrity among gold vendors). Wouldn't it be so totally cool if I could find some affordable REAL gold replica ancient gold coins there? I hope to at least make a decent purchase of gold jewelry for my "real" (as opposed to "costume") treasure chest.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I highly recommend that you try and find a glass factory in Jordon or Egypt. The hand blown glass of the region comes in some amazing natural colors. The necklace I wore to PIP last year was made from blue glass beads I purchased back in 1988.

I also know that there are a few alabaster shops in the Cairo area if you can find them. You can get plates, bowls, jewelry, etc. all made from hand turned alabaster. You might also pick up blank papyrus and hand made papers for making documents and maps later on.

If you get a chance, try and buy hand woven materials for costumes. You can get some amazing hand made textiles in the Middle East. Don't be afraid to pack very light, so that you have plenty of room to bring home surprises.

If I think of any other specific places, I'll let you know.

Are you flying from Jordon into Cairo?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Yes -- Amman to Cairo.

Already plan on purchasing a quantiuty of hand-woven textiles (#1 export from Egypt). Jewelry, glass beads -- check.

The so-called "papyrus" available is generally dried banana leaves, and not real papyrus. You can still get the real stuff, but it requires seeking out artisans, and I may not have the time. While I will watch for hand-made papers, that sort of stuff can be had here, too. We shall see.

No one should waste a breath thinking of a Petra pirate connection, as I read a little more and realized that the land-locked ancient city of the Nabataeans was only re-discovered to the Western world in the early 1800s.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

The so-called "papyrus" available is generally dried banana leaves, and not real papyrus. You can still get the real stuff, but it requires seeking out artisans, and I may not have the time. While I will watch for hand-made papers, that sort of stuff can be had here, too. We shall see.

It's nice to see I don't have to explain the banana leaf rip-off. Excellent. I bought a nice quantity of the real thing when I was last there.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The handwoven silk rugs can be great finds for your ship in Egypt.Watch the jewelers-most of the stones are fake but some essentail oils can be had-don't go near the "designer" essentials but the frankinscense, myrhh and attar of roses oils are the real thing.The grand Bazaar in Cairo takes forever but you can find some incredible stuff there that would work great for pyrat swag.I was there over 20 year ago but then you could get some of the bedoin textiles that are all hand embroidered.And for trade the bellydancing supplies are great-some of the dancers here would be dying to trade for them.

• 1 month later...

I have been extremely busy -- too busy to spend much time here in the Pub.

I leave for Jordan in Four days, so it's a quick FareWell to all. I shall be back before very long, hopefully weighed down by an enviable quantity of riches from the Far East. Or Mid-East, actually.

Photos upon my return! Promise!

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Oh yes Pete, Myrhh!!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Well, in Egypt you'll at least be closer to the ol' stompin' grounds of the Barbary Pirates. I believe they were more towards Libya, but they were terrors of the Mediterranean. Hope you have a good time - and good security. Jordan and Egypt (like lots of places in the Middle East) have a high number of terrorist groups.

Safe journey, mate.

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

Greetings from the Middle East!

I am in my hotel in Petra, Jordan. I am located less than 5 minutes walk from the front gate of the Fabled Lost City of Petra, and just walked the Siq, past the Treasury, to the Theatre this morning. If that means nothing, Google images with those names (add "Petra" to these words to get the proper "Treasury", for example).

I fee like shooting over to the "What Are You Listgening To" topic to add "An Arabic version of Entertainment Tonight", which is blasting out the of the television next to me.

So much to purchase here... so very little is actual Pirate stuff. And the prices are not the best -- I can find a lot of this much cheaper in the States. For those who have seen my Middle East hand-crafted non-firing flintlock (it is pictured elsewhere in the Pub), they have those here in great supply. However, the blunderbuss cost JD 325. That's the same price as a working blunderbuss! Screw that!

I picked up a nice little pan primer. Also a belly-dancer outfit for my 17-year-old daughter (down, boys), some toy camels, head scarf & band for my son... and took ten rolls of film thus far.

Egypt in two days.

Regards to you all!

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Glad to hear you are doing well Pete. Thanks for chiming in.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Back.

Doing well? I wish. I became so horribly sick in Egypt, you won't want to hear any of the details. I had to strip naked to wipe up the mess in the bathroom, then take a shower before putting on my pajamas and crawling back into bed. Stayed in the hotel bed for three days.

Therefore, I did very little treasure-gathering in Egypt. It was all rather disappointing. Just enough gifts for teh wife and kids, but no great treasures. No bargains ... there was no time.

More later -- I have not slept in two straight days (including my 14 hour layover at Amman airport -- I have about 87 anecdotes about that place).

Jordan was superb. Egypt disappointing. Therefore I am left with little enthusiasm -- but I will come back here to post some experiences and pictures (I think it is 19 rolls of film, and over 500 digital shots).

But no Myrrh. Sorry, Captain. (And no one is more disappointed than I. I really wanted to have some Gold, Frankencense and Myrrh from Egypt to be part of this year's family Christmas.)

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Back.

Well Cap'n Pete sorry to hear about the illness and hope you are recouping rapidly... I am glad to hear that you are back at least in one piece... look forward to hearing about the good bits when you feel up to it!

Crewe of the Archangel