Grog!

Rats

What de hell else could a title like that be about!

Now I'm tyically a Capt. Morgan man... I also remember my hunchpunch, ta-kill-ya, screwdriver, mad dog, thinderbird, rollin rock, PBR and what's on tap days.

But typically it's been a morgan an coke, aside from a spotted cow or a good cider.

Alright. so I just opened a Guinness "Extra stout" and I discover "man that's kinda stout".

So what is the big differences in such beers?

:huh:

Rats!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

According to International Brewing Standards....

Everything here in the Colonies is a "light" beer.

Beer, as in any spirits, fall into classes. Stouts, Lagers...etc., etc. Some of it has to do with brewing....some what makes up the brew itself.

I prefer Hefeweizens....a wheat based bier....Though Peche Belgium mixes are very pleasing, as well. :D

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Beer is classifed based on 2 things, speed of fermenting & temp of fermenting.

Ales are made with yeast that is called "top fermenting". It's done at a warmer temp and faster. These are the heavier beers that the English like so much.

Lagers are "bottom fermenters". They ferment at lower temps for longer times. The yeast does actually sink while it's working. All of the "cold brewed" beers that are so common in the US are also lagers.

Stout is an Ale while Pilsner is a Lager.

Now, I'm off to get myself a Spotted Cow, yum!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Guinness is beer.

Anything else is pee. Really, really weak pee.

Okay, flame at me if ye wish, but I simply cannot stand "yellow beer." I never considered my self a beer drinker -- I never liked the stuff. Then I spent a week in Scotland. And every pub had Guinness.

It may be an acquired taste, but I acquired it. Really, I would rather drink nothing than have to drink a non-Stout (I am on my third right now).

On occasion, I will have a Corona if at a non-Guinness Mexican restaurant. Or a Tsing Tao at the local sushi bar, because that's all they have. But that's when I have no choice... and I usually prefer club soda.

I find Murphy's Stout a reasonable alternative (my personal taste test proved Guinness to be superior), and they had a decent stout at Bristol Renaissance Faire, which I cannot immediately recall to mind.

But I am a Guinness fan.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

There you are Pete! I knew you were gonna say that! :)

Infact that's why I bought the Guinness! :D

Alot more stout than I remembered!

Maybe it just tastes better at Bristol! Maybe it's also the scenery!!! :)

Here's to ya! :D

Rats!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

There be a few fine stouts out and about but I relinquish this for Pirate Petee as his trial and error went long into the recesses of the ships hold on many more then thirty occasions (he used to work at Bev Mo)

But fer gettin in the dart throwin mood I be likin that mix of Harp and Guinness called yer Half and Half

then on to the Black and Tan and finish off my night of darts by throwin back a Guinness all on it's own....

Guinness helping ugly women look good since 1673!

Touch somebody you don't know today with a smile.

• 2 months later...

does hte same for the lads as well to make em look good......anyway since this be a topic of me own heart as well........in looking at beers and what makes em there are a few things to remeber. even in teh colonies there is a way to get decent beer and that be microbeweries. one of the best had a red ale that almost put a stout to shame......did say almost problem is that was in portland OR far bit from me own home. ;)

anyway that be me ramble into this post and if ye dinae mind i may ramble back more often B)

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

The only thing beer is good for is beer bread

3 cups self-rising flour

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 bottle Rogue Brewery Dead Guy Ale

Mush it all up, throw into a greased bread pan, and bake for about 25 - 30 min.

If pushed, if I have no other option, if I'm dying of thirst and it's 112 degrees, I'll drink an icy cold Harp, or Guinness.

Other than that, I'll take a glass of wine any day. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Terminal Gravity IPA!!!

I love Guiness too, don't get me wrong...I can drink pints of Guiness and shoot darts all night long.

Two pints of TGIPA though, and my game goes all over the board. It's a mighty brew, it is...

BTW: get it on draft somewhere with good turnover. Don't bother writing back about your experiences with the bottled version; t'aint the same...the bottling kills the hops.

If you can get any of the North Coast Brewery beers, I recommend them heartily! They are located in Fort Bragg, California and are rated one of the ten best microbreweries in the world.

Rasputin Russian Stout is a beer that is a meal. This stout is STELLAR. I also really like their Pranqster Belgian Ale.

I also recommend Shaftebury Cream Ale - you have to travel to western British Columbia to get it, but it's worth it! There aren't enough O's in smooooth to describe the drinkability of this ale.

RHJMap.jpg