Making a Hunting Sword/Cutlass

Patrick Hand

I wasn't sure if the 1742 British Infantry Sword like the ones sold through Dixie Gun Works etc... had screw on pommel or not, GoF sent me one that he had, so I'm in the process of turning it into a more period correct Hunting Sword / cutlass....

The good news... the blade is peaned to the pommel... I hacksawed the end off, and took off the entire hilt. This photo shows the sword dissassembled, and the tang (note: I covered the all brass grip with some black leather for Ojai.... all that brass looked slightly fake, so I wanted to "tone it down".....)

Below is the antler that I will fit as a grip, and the pattern for the knuckle bow. I will be cutting some of the tang off ... I still have a lot of fitting to do.....

Making/ dishing the knuckle bow will be easy.... cutting the decorative groves in it might be a slight hastle.....

I will post more photos as I work on it......

sword.jpg

Nice though Patrick! I was thinking of doing something similar myself but it'll probably be one of those "one day" projects for me - as in "one day I'll get round to it".

Can't wait to see the progress!

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I, too have that project on the burner......will probably get it done sometime this winter.......

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Yeah... that literally was my project... I just didn't have the time or tools to move it from the back burner to the front burner...

So I gave it to Patrick. He is a gung ho kind of guy... Keep up the good work Pat.

I got a closet full of projects that are unfinished, so when you complete the sword let me know.

:huh:

Greg aka GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Ahoy Patrick,

Your sword (at least the way it will soon look) is almost exactly like the one I am currently building, except that I fabricated my own blade out of an industrial band saw blade from a lumber mill. I have already built my handguard, and it is not as much trouble as it seems. You just have to dish the areas for the "clam shells", and I then cut in the decorative grooves with a dremel tool, and polished the heck out of the whole affair with a buffing wheel and jeweler's rouge. I just got the antler for my grip this past weekend. It was hard for me to find one with a beam large enough for a grip here in the part of Georgia I live in, but thanks to my brother-in-law in New York, I now have a nice piece. I will try to make pictures and post so we can compare notes... :huh:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

• 7 months later...
OK Pat, what is the status here?

I temporarily used the brass guard with the antler handle....The last chunk of metal wasn't thick enough to work right...... but I didn't get much done over the Winter...... I did get a grinder tho, and a rotery tool... but I've been making a few throwing knives.... Interesting timing on asking what the status is.... because I was thinking of finaly getting around to finishing it befor I read this post.....

Off Topic:

If anyone needs such small cutlasses/ blades like the thing above: I have two to give away for free, one with a wooden grip, the other a not-so-nice replica of an USN boarding knife (civil war).

Unfortunately, they're in Germany, but if you have contacts via the forces or so...feel free.

Cheers,

Jack