Yellowbeard

Hester

I watched Yellowbeard on DVD on "Talk Like a Pirate Day".

I was pleasently surprised by the high production values -- especially the ships.

And the cameo by David Bowie was a nice touch:

mp83-3.jpg

(Especially as his real name be "Davey Jones", and he's got a bit of pirate in his style:)

david_bowie.jpg

What do others here at the pub think of Yellowbeard?

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

A great comedy classic! I proudly own it in me own collection! :lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Love it! Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong are really funny anyway. Add actors from both Python and Mel Brooks canons, and I don't see how you could go wrong.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

I watched Yellowbeard again on my birthday (just after my earlier post). As it was my birthday, the Missus did not once ask if something else was on TV, but sat and actually watched part of it.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Speekin' o' Mister Prostitute, why the 'ell 'd they send 'im away with the rest o' the loyal crew? Me cousin an' I asked that question out loud at the same time while watchin' it.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

here's one for ya:

Mackenzie's character has a wooden eye.....

David Bowie has two differently colored eyes (he's got no pigment in his right eye, because as a child he was stabbed in the eye with a compass)

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

• 1 month later...

This has always been one of my all-time favorite Pirate films! My favorite line was when Yellowbeard told Dan that "She couldn't be your mother - No woman ever slept with me and lived!"

Awesome,

The Pirate King

www.ThePirateKing.com

http://www.ThePirateKing.com

Over 180 online biographies of Pirates, Privateers, Explorers, & Buccaneers, along with loads of historical information on Sailing, Shipwrecks & Nautical Archaeology

A Very underraited film. Sadly not available on DVD Here in the UK (I had to search high and low to get a copy at aresonable price on VHS as the tape version was discontinued too.)

When we wrote the "Artcles" for C.H.E.S. there was a strong movement to have "One pet per pirate parrots preferred" included. And we are still looking for a stuffed crocodile with buttons down one side.

One I've yet to have the pleasure of seeing...... Tall Paul, how can we get the ol VHS going in the camp????

If I had a copy om DVD it would be no problem, I have one of those portable DVD players, but VHS is another problem.

I have often thought that It would be a great Idea to get hold of one of those Television Projectors, and have a midnight screening of classic pirate movies at a Pirate Festival, Projecting the film onto a fortress wall, or better still, onto a convenient sail.

Okay, now you've convinced me to get a copy of this movie...it's only about $11.00 anyway...

Tall Paul - have ye considered an extra DVD drive for yer computer for playing US DVDs? I'm toying with doing something similar for discs I can only find in UK versions!

You Will Not Regret it Jigme. It is worth getting for John Clease's performance as blind Pew alone "Sounded more like a tiff" :lol:

I have considered the computer drive option, but to be honest, I like sitting in a comfortable armchair to watch my movies, not sitting at my desk, squinting at a computer screen.

By the way, has anyone pointed out, that , although it has many of the Monty Python team in the cast, Yellowbeard is not in fact, a Python film. (Although I do own a German poster for this film, and the title can be loosly translated into English as "Monty Python on the High Seas"!

• 2 years later...

This finally came up on my Netflix list. It was ok, I guess. I found the script to be wildly uneven. Some of the characterizations (not to mention characters) were painfully sacrificed in attempts at comedy. Plus there were several characters that they took great pains to get onto the ship and then failed to use much - like the doctor. Cheech and Chong were also sort of lost in the shuffle, which is unfortunate. (And what's with the lisp?) The Pythons came off the best, with Cleese leading the way, as noted. Cleese wisely decided to die before they left England - things in the plot sort of unwound after that point IMO.

I actually thought that Idle's effete "Head of Her Majesty's Secret Service ( :lol: )" was the funniest character until he left land. Then it was sort of touch and go. Graham Chapman was pretty good when he was playing a berserk pirate, but it clashed with his more sedate character so much that I found him slightly annoying. And how did he come back to life after being stabbed? (Yeah, yeah, pirates are the most dangerous when they're dead or something. But that's a piss-poor explanation.)

There were several funny lines.

"That wasn't strictly true, was it sir?"

"No, Mansell, it was what we in the British Navy call... a lie."

:lol: (Ok, it may not sound that funny here, but the way Idle said it, I thought it was a hoot.)

Three stars of five on Netflix - mostly for the beginning. There are worse ways to waste your time. (Like The Crimson Pirate. *shudder*)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Mission said "There are worse ways to waste your time. (Like The Crimson Pirate. *shudder*)"

Hey! Crimson Pirate was a major way for me to waste my time when I was a youth, :unsure: it seemed it was the only movie that was playing for weeks on Independent Channel 11 WPIX NYC when they were scrambling for content to fill their program day. Many a Million Dollar Movie presentation was "The Crimson Pirate" I particularly liked Mr. Bellows. I still enjoy it, yes it was 'campy' but I really don't watch pirate movies expecting to see a lot of historical accuracy anyway.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Hey, it be Monty Python naught National Geo!

I had it many many years ago on VHS (so glad I didn't go Beta!) but wore that tape out back in th' 80's and went looking for it...somewhere around 1990...and could not find it ANYWHERE. I found out on some forum it went into limbo when DVDs came out over some kind of 'rights' issues as it was not actually a "Monty Python" production, it was a joint effort (don't remember who the other party(s) where), so kinda like th' Addams Family films it had to go through a bunch of legal stages before they could finally give it back to us, the fans, and I was so HAPPY when they did I went instantly onto the waiting list at Cheech & Chong's site!

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I watched Yellowbeard on DVD on "Talk Like a Pirate Day".

I was pleasently surprised by the high production values -- especially the ships.

The HMS Bounty was used in the movie, and she also appears in:

Treasure Island (1990)

Sponge Bob Square Pants, the Movie

Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest

And the Bounty was built in 1960 for MGM studios' Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando.

She has had a longer career in film than most actors. :unsure:

sail_battles_longbeach05_031_405.jpg

BATTLESAIL