Period Correct Cups, Plates, Tankards and Eating Stuff

Rats

Metropolitan Museum of Art: 15580.jpg

Girolamo Maltraversi (1698–1730) Date: 1700–1730 Culture: Italian, Rome Medium: Silver Dimensions: L. 6 5/8 in. (16.8 cm)

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy. Some relevant question to ask are; how often there was enough meat available to lower classes, including seamen, to warrant owning/using forks? As far as I have been able to find, most often the little meat available/affordable was stewed with other fodder to make it go farther, and eaten with wooden spoons. Also, how often do you think a pyrat would keep a piece of silverware vs. sell/pawn it for coin. Just "food for thought" if you'll pardon the pun.

Bo

I also have read that meat was typically cooked in stews on BRN naval vessels. Other foods specified would lend themselves well to spoons - oatmeal, peas and such.

Here's an interesting quote sort of related to this topic from German Johann Dietz (Master Johann Dietz, Surgeon in the Army of the Great Elector and Barber to the Royal Court) from his service on a whaling vessel in the late 17th century:

"Apart from this, there was against the mainmast a great tub, fixed some distance from the deck, containing water that was often stinking and full of little worms, for the general drinking. And, on deck, in open crates was plenty of biscuit; which had to be broken and softened in water, otherwise no one could eat it, so hard and mouldy was it. On at least three days of the week we ate groats, pease, lentils and stockfish, boiled, and pickled beef, pork and mutton, with bacon and a great deal of butter.

When the men were at meals, if it was windy one of them had always to hold the mess-bowl, that is, a great wooden bowl. They all lay flat on the deck, and everyone had to bring his wooden spoon; then they all ate with hand or spoon, and had little need of a knife. When the mess-bowl nearly exhausted, and the man who was holding it because of the rolling of the ship saw that there was just enough for his portion, he cried 'Stop! stop!' -at which they one and all gave over." (Dietz, p. 128)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I agree that not all men might have a fork for eating, but the knowledge of which fork is period can be used in ways beyond the portrayal of the common sailor. It would be entertaining to have a common seaman carrying a whole bag of forks for the express purpose of selling them. Indeed, it could be quite humorous to have a crew arguing the very need for forks, when selling them would be more obvious to them. They might even laugh openly at the idea of eating with anything that would strain their food and prove no more useful than a knife.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

That would make a clever scenario indeed! One thing about the Whydah fork though, (I have the catalogue and saw it twice on exhibit) it is a bit larger in overall dimensions than a more modern (19th,20th cent.) standard flatware piece, slightly longer, wider and thicker. I have seen serving forks with flatware sets that are closer to this specimen though. Make sure you carry one in a leather or wooden holder in your gear though, as they tend to poke holes in things you'd rather not have poked otherwise.

Bo