The Boots We Wear (On Bucket Boots)

Pirate Petee

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lardy! I's ne'er drank from a woman's boot afore.....

B)

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Hmmm...

Yer nay supposed ta snarfle th' beer...

Drinkin' it works best... B)

Er... wot's snarfle? I assume somat like snarf, but worse?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Er... oh, right th' topic... Boots....

Ah.... boots...

Ah..... Hmmmm......

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

I am not sure that i count Hogarth too much.

Here is why

He was born in 1697 and was trained as an engraver... and apparently had his buisness up and running around 1720.

But there isn't anything significant by him till the very end of 1729 with the Beggers Opera, with the bulk of the stuff he is famous for (Rake and Harlots Progress, and Marriage a la Mode) in the 30s-50s.

Timing here is important here because fashions and styles start to change (in the 1720s as a whole as we are leaving the Baroque and reminants of the Baroque and getting firmly planted in the Rococo period.

For some things it might seem minor (like gentlemen start to wear their stockings tucked under their breeches instead of pulled over the tops of them, but other things are major, like the cut and lenghts of clothes and hairstyles.

Hogarth's Soliciting Votes (that is the name of the second one you have pictured), it is dated 1754, so its clearly out of the GAoP.

Which one do you think might be the sailors? There are two men with blue aprons that are talking to a gentlemen that seems to be wearing a riding coat/overcoat and riding boots. Not sure what this proves.

The other Hogarth is weird. There seems to be two versions

This one

11a.jpg

and this one

HogBeer.JPG

Not sure what Hogarth's 1751 Beer Street has for GAoP relevancy... Isn't that a soldier wearing the boots?

The fencing painting is pretty cool too.... for a 1787 painting (if I am reading the date in the bottom right corner right).

Kass covered the other ones....

Keep up the good work though Pete, you are making this interesting.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Er... wot's snarfle? I assume somat like snarf, but worse?

Yes, it's just like snarffing but with a cute, wee nosey... B)

[sticks face back in beer-filled bucket boot]

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Did some boot diggin' last night just for kicks, found some rather interesting stuff :

First up a playing card dated 1754:

cries1754card6du.jpg

Here's a fun one of a Dutch dude dated...1720...sporting some posh softies:

dutchboot17205du.jpg

Granted they are not sailors, but they aren't riding....though I think that Dutch caricature guy is sporting a spur.

Just some Devil's Advocate food for thought.

And lastly, some good natured fun for all ye boot lovers out there: :)

loadedboot0zz.jpg

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Well this site I found had MANY scans of circa 1750-1760 cartoons concerning the Scottish "Jackboots" & the Jacobite rebellion....as well as many cartoons using boots as political metaphors....I'll see if I can find the link again, it was obscure and I forgot to bookmark it.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Here's my take on things, as off kilter as the might be. Kass you can complain to Janelle on your other list about my misbehaviour. She's used to it. :)

Right! Among my kit, which will be augmented by Kass' creations once they ship (hint, hint!), is a leather tricorn (I am an expert with leather, where as tarred felt escapes me) and suede bucket boots. Granted, I'm playing off fantasy as opposed to reality. Reality sucks, as we all know. My kit will be of linen this year, based on Janelle's ministrations. As period as possible, minus my fanciful take on things. I may be naught but a playtron, but the kiddies seek me out to show me the coins the they've accumulated, and I invariably trade their plastic coins for a solid metal Spanish coin reproduction. They run off to their Mums, proudly showing how they traded with a "real" pyrate for solid coin! I teach them the hard "Pyrate look", and send them on their way. It's so hard for me not to laugh, but it is so much fun!!

:lol:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

no need to apologize for doin' what your doin' mate. I think you are making a good move with doing a coat using KASS patterns though (if that is what you meant).

Fantasy or Factual, a coat is going to cost real good money. An authentic one will give you more options later.... if you want to dable in authentic piracy. Hats can be made realitively inexpensively (hat blanks are around $30).

You might want to PM harbor master on the leather tricorn. I think he has owned/bought several types and swears by them (I an not sure who he reccomends though......)

Good luck, (and post pics!)

GoF

yeah.. that bastard

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Here's my take on things, as off kilter as the might be. Kass you can complain to Janelle on your other list about my misbehaviour. She's used to it. :)

Oh, you're THAT Jack! :blink:

I don't complain about you, mate. I complain about people saying things are historical when they're not, which is definitely something you don't do. At least not that I've ever seen. And your hats ROCK!

I love the bit with giving the kids metal coins for their plastic ones. :lol: May I ask where you get your coins?

By the way, the men's preordered patterns will ship on Monday. That's set in stone. I can smell the printing fluids now... :lol:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Now you know you have been searching tooooo hard for bucket boots when that comes up!

classic....

He is on the way to a ren fest no doubt.

GoF

I have several leather hats.,two handmade by 2 differant people.,but I would take my other leather hat over them first. The comfort.,and durability of the 3rd and 4th is why. My favorite hat is my hat made by Excalibur Leather . On this particular hat I chose a black hat and when i received it I was a bit disapointed., I felt the brim was too short. I called them on the phone and they said they make a tricorn with a 4" brim., and by request over the phone they do make them with a 5" brim.

At that time I ordered another my brown hat and I ordered it in a 5" brim. Wow just ask around 1" can indeed make all the differance in the world !

I would recommend the 5" over the 4" it puts a bit more shape at the rear corners and gives you higher sides. It repels water.,maintains its shape is cool to wear (doesnt attract heat).

Measure your head before you order .,including the tops of your ears., then add a 1/2" if you wear a wrap around yer skull under your hat.

Gasparilla0271.JPG

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"