The Boots We Wear (On Bucket Boots)

Pirate Petee

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn! How am I supposed to buy you a beer if you're out there?! B)

You ever get to the PA Faire, you let me know! I know one hell of a brewer! B)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Wooo, busy day again, apologies if I miss anyone's good points.

The statue of Duguay-Trouin looks very late 18th or 19th century. The picture Das posted of him DEFINITELY looks 19thC

Petee, nice pictures! How many pictures did you have to trawl through to find them? How many of them are strictly period? And how many of them show seamen or pirates?

Das, if a 60-70 year old guy turned up at a 1690s event in boots I wouldn't bat an eyelid. If he were pretending to be a pirate I might have my doubts!

c. Revolutionary War...when we KICKED some British BUM!

I'm not pouting. Until the war was over you WERE British. What I find embarrassing is that you had to have help from the French of all people!

The Rev war (Colonial Scuffle) interests me. The only war in history to be fought over whether the milk should have gone in the harbour before the tea...

BOOTS, the bottom line (as I see it)

If you want to prove that pirates of the first half of the 17thC sometimes wore bucket boots then fine, no argument from me.

If you want to show that a small, statistically insignificant number of GAoP era pirates might have worn boots then fine, no argument from me.

If you want to prove that boots might frequently have been found on the ends of pirates' legs then fine, but no amount of evidence of the existence of boots in a land-based society is really relevant (unless it really was an overwhelming amount - which it isn't). There's no argument about the fact that boots existed. Let's see some pics or records of long boots on sailors of the 1690-1730 period, not pics of boots on farmers in 1760.

If you want to prove that boots were commonplace on pirates then fine, but B)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Kass, I reckon Petee owes me a beer. If you buy me one when you come over then we're all quits. :)

B)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I think you're trying to confound me with logic like you Brits always try to do... B)

But I thought I was letting you spend the afternoon in my steamer trunk and you were buying ALL my drinks for the whole visit? B)

My fiance's family is from upstate New York. If we are ever out that way during fair I'll let you know, untill then I'll pretend and tonight when I crack open my first beer, I'll say" thanks Kass." B):huh:B)

Well, that was easy... :) Make it a good one! :huh:

Petee, nice pictures! How many pictures did you have to trawl through to find them? How many of them are strictly period? And how many of them show seamen or pirates?

Oh man, you have know idea how long. I got more too. ^_^ They are close to being in and or around period. Kass did have a good point. Two of them are period pics depicting and earlier period, I think. And yes I do owe you a couple beers for a couple reasons. ^_^^_^^_^

Petee-2.jpg

Sure Kass, just ignore your celestial brother! It's ok! :lol:

Hey Fort Mifflin is WICKED COOL. We went to the reenactment last year - very nicely done and the PA Navy group was impressive. Met a great chap there named Del who does a sea chanty group out of NJ called the Sea Dogs. I sang with them awhile but had to move away before I could do some real gigs with them.

Been to the PA faire tons of times...you'll have fun there Kass! They've recently added "Swashbucklers Grove"...the highlight of which is their own on-site brewery featuring pirate themed beer. It's a GOOD TIME! Granted there are tape-on boot-top falsies everywhere, and traveling bands of Middle-Earth mercenaries in black denim dusters with Kill Bill swords strapped to their backs, but last year I did see one amazing, 100% period correct buccaneer complete with a nice fusil, the apostles, GOOD sensible period shoes and everything!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Josh, I could never forsake you! You're the one who went and moved to warmer climes on us. :P I'm hoping we come up with an interesting enough event to tempt you Northward again.

I haven't been to the PA Ren Faire in about 12 years, but I knew it well back then. Ren Faires are what they are. I love to see what people come up with. No worse than the Pirate Feast, really. And I can wear early 16th century German one day and late 17th century Pirate the next and who's gonna say anything? :lol:

And I'll have my hounds with me. Yay period appropriate doggies!!! :P

I know about the Brewery. You see, I know this brewer... ;)

Oh Josh... You must have been drunk! :P

It was a stellar BROWN riding outfit... :P

You know, it occurs to me that this "friendly debate" has ended up like every good friendly debate should: with the debators buying each other drinks in the Pub! :lol:

More friendly debate! More friendly debate! Hee hee hee!

rabbit season!

duck season!

:lol:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Shhhhh!!!!! be very, very quiet.... we're hunting Elmers'.......

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Hmmm.... a pitcher o' beer?

keep on topic Ladd! fill a BOOT with Beer!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

must be.... must be...

Wine! A bucket(boot) of it!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif