The Boots We Wear (On Bucket Boots)

Pirate Petee

Pete..... got to commend you for your efforts.  If a picture of a GAoP sailor with bucket boots is ever going to be found, I bet its you that finds it!

Thank you GoF, I hope I can. Sometimes I feel like Indiana Jones looking for the Grail or the Lost Ark. Now I really don’t think that Pirates wore the riding boots. Although possible, not probable. I do believe that there is a type of tall leather boot, not as form fitted as a riding boot, but baggier, looser, more ship friendly that they could have worn on and or off shore. Oh my gosh, those are some frightening looking pirates, not as scary as that Peter Pan guy, but close. Those are the guys that give us none Living History types a bad name, I mean jeesh, they could have done a bit better than that.

P.S. Thanks for the info of the painting.

P.S.S. If that is anyone from the pub, I didn't mean to offened.

Petee-2.jpg

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost woke the whole house up laughing my ass off at that pic! HA! He's so serious! It reminds me of something...just can't place it.

Maybe it reminded you of a scary 50-year old Florida guy trying to be Peter Pan.

If that link doesn't work anymore, this one will. You were warned!

scary

Oooookaaaay....shouldn't this picture be in the buggery thread??? :o

I think it's more like Rodman than Jackson:

Fancydress.jpg

Sorry folks...I know...way OT...but....I didn't start it!!!

:o

Petee - I kinda agree with you. I don't think pirates - if they wore boots - wore riding boots. I lean towards what you think - something a bit looser, perhaps even a little shorter. I sure hope you find success in your picture hunt!!!

As far as the pirate guys go - well, they aren't as scary as the wench behind them...that costume really makes it hard for the rest of us womenfolk to 'compete'! :o

das

That big dude in red & black that GOF posted is downright terrifying! WOW! Looks like he's gettin ' ready to "bring out th' gimp." :lol:

But I digress from boots. Boots! Let's see if we can keep this epic thread on track here, maybe even hit 200 posts about BOOTS! Or lack thereof!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

You know what really saddens me about those two...ahem... "pirates" that GoF posted? They've obviously put a huge amount of effort into their clothing, and probably a good few quid, and yet LOOK AT THEM!

If they'd put half the effort into going authentic they'd look great. If they'd put half the effort into actually looking like Hollywood pirates they'd be competing with Ace. As it is, WTF do they think they look like! They don't look like pirates, authentic OR fantasy, they look like living illustrations from the worst children's book ever written. They scare me, but not in the right way.

I think, ladies and gentlemen, that the "Pirate of Men's Pants" award 2006 has just been awarded.

That woman in blue looks scarily like my ex mother-in-law. :lol:

PS. If those guys are anyone from the pub, I'm sorry for offending but you need to hear this. YOU LOOK LAUGHABLE!

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

The stubble kinda gave it away... sheesh, I'm gonna have to give up on this deadpan malarky...

Still looks a lot like my ex mother in law...

Anyway, since the subject of my trollops has been raised, I usually go for quantity.

girls.jpg

(hmmm, maybe this belongs in that other thread...)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

You know what really saddens me about those two...ahem... "pirates" that GoF posted? They've obviously put a huge amount of effort into their clothing, and probably a good few quid, and yet LOOK AT THEM!

!

I could probably go at considerable length about these two, but one thing just SCREAMS at me. Why does the chap on the right need a pair of what appear to be fur lined manacles and 2 matched floggers on his belt? This may be deserving of it's own thread, but why is do people find a need to combine BDSM kit with pirate kit? Maybe that's what we're missing here- the boots, the manacles, the floggers, the massive amounts of black shiny leather- are these guys frustrated doms trolling for a sub? Are we really going for some sort of bodice buster cover image? Come to think of it, most of those guys are wearing tall boots....

Now, I've bought a number of floggers myself (though never seen the need to wear them with kit) and I know that the two matched pieces he's sporting have probably set him back $200 plus. Fur lined manacles (de rigeur on all the best pirate ships) are going to hit for at least 30 bucks or more a pair. So the nearly 300 dollars spent on a couple of fashion accessories could easily have been otherwise out into correct kit.

the concept escapes me......

Hawkyns

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Why does the chap on the right need a pair of what appear to be fur lined manacles and 2 matched floggers on his belt? 

Maybe he hopes to get lucky....

I must admit - once I led Mr. Das around the faire in a pair of authentic-type iron manacles...it was rather...empowering. :) However, we usually just keep up hanging up on the captain's bed...

captbed2.jpg

Wow...that's an old pic, I got a lot more junk hanging off that bed now...I think I better hide the credit card... B)

AND, just to keep it on topic - BOOTS!!!!

Hawkyns - those guys are just having fun...in their fantasy world, that's what a pirate looks like, and to dress authentically would be...well, a drag. NOT drag, as in Blue Dancer...but just dull. They love all the little accessories, right or wrong...and they have fun doing what they're doing. I think of them more as Halloween pirates...it's not about accuracy, but about the 'arrrrs!!' and the 'shiver me timbers!!'

I have a cat (well, besides the two in that picture)...and I have carried it around at the faire, but it's all for fun. For better or worse, Ren Faires really aren't the place for authenticity anymore ...only re-enactments. Don't know why it is, it just 'is'...

*shrugs*

dasBOOT!

*note the 'authenticity' of shrouds, hanging inside the captain's cabin... B)

...otherwise, dudes end up looking like Ben Franklin...

Oh silly Das! Ben Franlin's not period...

:lol:

I am refraining from comment on the blue ballerina and the old guy in the crushed velvet tights. Refraining, I tell you!!! :huh:

Don't you just love when Foxe says, "As Kass mentioned..."? I think that ought to get me at least one round, don't you guys agree?

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

are these guys frustrated doms trolling for a sub?

Silly Hawkins...

They're obviously both subs looking for a dom! :)

Let's face it, friends, all of the "dress up and play" hobbies (faires, reenacting, SCA, costume cons, fantasy, BDSM, etc.) attract a certain kind of person -- notably the kind that likes to dress up and pretend to be someone else for a while (even if that someone is just yourself in early 18thc dress). We all spend a lot on our kit and historical accuracy is just not to guiding force of some people, even though they participate in a hobby we perceive as historical. Perhaps they perceive it as fantasy and wonder why we spend so much money trying to get the right shape hilt for our swords or shoes that are made out of the right kind of leather and stitched by hand. I'd bet they do.

I like to see people put effort into their kit, no matter what their purpose. However, I don't need to see red crushed velvet lycra tights and a leather jock strap on a chubby old man... :lol:

[No offense, guys. I'm sure you wouldn't want to see a chubby old woman in them either!]

Anyway, since the subject of my trollops has been raised, I usually go for quantity.

I generally go for scantily clad....

HappyJim.jpg

Quality! I meant quality!!! :lol:

No they're not, darling. He lived after the GAoP. :lol:

Okay, he was 19 in 1725. But the clothing we think of him wearing is what he wore in middle age, in the 1750s-1770s. Stuff changed pretty dramatically around 1720: frock coat skirts got big, waistcoats shrank, wigs got small...

What you meant to say (because now I'm in your head) is that everyone would end up looking like William Penn. See, he IS period! :lol:

I generally go for scantily clad....

Quality! I meant quality!!! :lol:

Hey! There's two of them, that'd do to be going on with! How much and how quickly can you ship them here?

I know Franklin, he's the guy that wrote the worst ever song about pirates when he was about 13 (I must admit, my pubescent poetry wasn't much better), but who's this Penn guy? :lol:

See, I was gonna put on my red velvet tights and leather posing-pouch for when you came over Kass, but I s'pose I'd better not now...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

See, I was gonna put on my red velvet tights and leather posing-pouch for when you came over Kass, but I s'pose I'd better not now...

Yes Baldric...

Have you a cunning plan?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I'll stick them in my trunk. You get access depending on how many rounds you buy! :lol:

Penn is the failed eldest son of a Admiral in the Civil War, darling. Never amounted to much...

Damn! And I do so love Baldric...

Although I am still scarred after seeing his ass in "Back and Forth". :lol:

Tell you what Kass, I'll swap you Tony Robinson's email address for an afternoon in the trunk...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Penn amounted to enough to get his statue atop City Hall! :D

I'm not defending him, just tossing my two bits in. Kass that looks like a vintage pirate feast shot if I'm not mistaken! One guy on the floor under some strumpet....I'd say the night was still young, maybe 9 pm? Yuk yuk...

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I think it was 6:30...

But that's Wee Jim Hawkins. He starts on the floor. :D

Not contesting what you say, my brother. Penn was pretty important to us. But you see, I volunteer at Pennsbury Manor (Penn's "summer house" on the Delaware) and when you learn about his life, he pretty much failed at everything he tried: starting a colony where religion could be practiced freely, making a profit from the sale of land, finishing his dream house, raising children who weren't schmucks...

But the stuff he tried was extraordinary! :D

Jasper Carrot summed it up well Kass, "Gee, you're English? Say, do you know Mrs Jones in Blackpool?"

I'm beginning to regret making a joke about Penn... but Kass's description kinda remined me of the great hero Sir Walter Raleigh: he is reviled for introducing tobacco to England, which he didn't actually do; he is praised for introducing the potato to England, which he didn't actually do; he is remembered for laying his cloak over a puddle, which he probably didn't do; he didn't quite get around to fighting the Armada; he tried to colonise America, and all his colonists died or disappeared within three years; he searched for Eldorado but failed to find it; his history of England which he wrote whilst in the Tower is flawed and biased; and we're STILL facing the ramifications of his great idea to fill Northern Ireland with Protestants. :)

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk