The Boots We Wear (On Bucket Boots)

Pirate Petee

I know it's 100 years but I had read seamen never wore boots. That's the point I was getting at....

But Jenny, he's not wearing boots. He's polishing boots to earn his living.

And not to burst your bubble or anything, but the chest isn't from the Golden Age of Piracy either, you realize...

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I really didn't know he was a bootblack..heehee jokes on me

2) I know the chest is later ...it's just so nice! I've been shopping antiques and wanted to share :huh:

how's this?

1750-sea-chest.jpg

B)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

That's very nice. You could buy me that for my birthday if you fancied B)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Sure why not? :D I'd keep my boots in mine lol! :D and my shoes....and my bandaids for rat line burns..... hee

• 1 month later...

Just for fun... I thought I'd post this pic and yes he's s soldier but nice clothes, shoes (Is that a sash? ) a piratey hat and ..boots.. so much to look at in this pic..I see axes, pikes, lotsa stuff. You can enlarge the pic for detail..enjoy

1712 Battle of Denain French vs Dutch and Austrian

hahaha... that's like posting a pic of... Patton or Lee and saying, "here's a pic of some soldier..." This is Claude Louis Hector de Villars, Prince de Martigues, Marquis and Duc de Villars and Vicomte de Melun, one of the best generals the French ever produced. Actually, I'd put him well above Patton and Lee, because de Villars led from the front.

:lol:

Anyway, nice pic. Shows alot of cool period clothing elements, as well as and the French habit of wearing moustaches. This one has always inspired me.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Well I DID say it was for fun :lol: but the period clothes (tho a bit late for GaOP )were nice and since some of you do other periods... I love super detailed paintings like these where it takes you several minutes to take in all the detail. It's like reading a book. Plus I coudn't help teasing about the boots since he looks so piratey :lol:

Jim, I pity whomever is in the upper right with that axe held over him!

BlackJohn, I WAS impressed by the General pictured plowing into the fray from the front, ahead of the flag men even. By the way Patton is one of my favorite movies. Saw it on tv when I was 14 and loved it even then! :lol:

BlackJohn, I WAS impressed by the General pictured plowing into the fray from the front, ahead of the flag men even.

Bravo, Blackjohn! As always, I am impressed with your knowledge. B)

Red Cat Jenny, you will find that thru the analogs of history, those millitary leaders followed with the highest loyalties did the same as the gentleman in question. It is a well known fact that Napoleon was quite steadfast in said mannerism and conduct.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Well I DID say it was for fun :lol: but the period clothes (tho a bit late for GaOP )were nice and since some of you do other periods...

A bit late? naaa... this guy is smack dab in the middle of the Golden Age. Unless, of course, you mean the painting.

I love super detailed paintings like these where it takes you several minutes to take in all the detail. It's like reading a book. Plus I coudn't help teasing about the boots since he looks so piratey ;)

No doubt about it, it is a cool painting.

By the way Patton is one of my favorite movies. Saw it on tv when I was 14 and loved it even then! :lol:

Patton was my favorite movie for years

My Home on the Web

Bravo, Blackjohn! As always, I am impressed with your knowledge. :lol:

Thanks. You are too kind.

It's just practice, and being exposed to (or bombarded with) this kind of stuff day in and day out for years and years, that's all. You know, I wish I could play the violin or something, but my mind clicks with history.

My Home on the Web

Ah 'tis no wonder ye look like a page out of history then! :lol: Loved the Lockhouse pics ye all looked grande! (And yes, I am getting me kit together...)

it looks like the pirate on the left in this 1723 picture is wearing boots....though it could just as easily be long socks, with shoes (it is quite dark)........

If they are boots, that by no means makes it COMMON, as this is the ONLY picture I've seen, where this is the case.......

just thought I'd share....

1723.jpg

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Not to doubt your source, Captain Alva, but the guy on the right looks like he's from 1824, not 1724, which makes me question the date of your source. Matter of fact, each person in the picture looks like they're from a different time period. It's hurting my head! :huh:

Those on the bloke on the left, however, are most decidedly over-the-knee boots!

the source is a Time-Life book on seafaring.......specifically pirates

I can't speak for its reliability, but that's the date next to the plate......

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Oh, I believe you, Alva. But I'm wondering if it weren't a typo or something. Because that guy on the right is early Victorian if ever there was...

Hey, I'd trust your word, as you're the historian......

I'm just posting the pics, and the dates next to 'em......

Oh, it's interesting, Alva. I mean, Time Life Books aren't known for their scholarly precision, but they usually don't make typos either.

I'm just trying to bend my brain around what in 1724 someone could wear that could make me think "early 19th century" so strongly...

Ionno, I'm looking at the guy and seeing the stereotypical portrayal of a pilgrim! :huh:

Here's the caption that accompanies the plate:

"Off Newfoundland in 1723, a pirate, in a relatively benign mood, forces a teetotaling prisoner to down a full quart of rum virtually in one gulp. The poor fellow at first had demurred--until the pirate, whipping out his pistol, told him to choose either the booze or a bullet."

The picture comes from Ellms' Pirates Own Book, which is 1837. It may be a depiction of a 1724 event, but it's a 19thC picture.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

hey, I was never trying to make it something it wasn't......I never would've had the keen eye (or fantastic research ability) that you and Foxe posess!

I'm grateful that there are knowledgable people here, who can shed light on the subject......

thanks Foxe, for decoding the mystery!

as you can see, I took it at face value, but your diligence has proven the better of Time Life, and smarter heads prevailed!

Not smarter heads, Captain... Just heads that have seen more and are tortured at night by the thought of GAoP pirates in bucket boots. :ph34r:

I know you weren't trying to make it into something it wasn't. You were just presenting it for us all to see. I just couldn't figure out why a guy in a illo from 1724 would be wearing that clothing. :ph34r: