Real Cannon Information??

Rats

This does seem right up our alley!

http://www.specialtymile.com/southbendrepl...licas/page2.htm

However, I just called and they're asking $7,830.00 for a shooter barrel without the carriage.

Let the Fred and Barney schemes begin!!

Rats

Just hunt down a barrel Rats, Andy can build the carriage in his sleep, and I already have the trailer to haul it to and from events..

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid I don't sell cannons on my site, but I have compiled a ton of info on them and their use in my weapons section (nearly 100 pages on cannons alone, if you were to print them out).

As I am sure you are already aware, cannon are like anything else: Before you buy, you should really spend a little time learning the language.

Check out the info here and maybe it will help you as you shop around:

http://www.thepirateking.com/historical/weapons.htm

(Scroll down to the section labeled "Cannon & Naval Artillery")

I've had a 1 pound falconette on a modified naval carriage for almost 6 years now that I roll out for various occasions. If you get a good one, the maintenance is pretty light and the life of the piece will probably be longer than yours. :huh:

Good Luck!

Rob Ossian

www.ThePirateKing.com

http://www.ThePirateKing.com

Over 180 online biographies of Pirates, Privateers, Explorers, & Buccaneers, along with loads of historical information on Sailing, Shipwrecks & Nautical Archaeology

Not sure about the legality, but the occasional powder charge sure seems to help keep the rabbits out of the yard. :lol:

Over 180 online biographies of Pirates, Privateers, Explorers, & Buccaneers, along with loads of historical information on Sailing, Shipwrecks & Nautical Archaeology

Aye!

But which one is right for what we're doing??

Even if we throw in with a crew, do we want to be haulin a cannon every where's.

or would it be more cost effective to have a few swivel guns for on deck when a ship is present and invest in more personal gear??

A cannon might be a pain to load onboard and some ships might be concerned about liability and weight...??

What says you?

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

If you are looking for an accoutrement to carry while walking around a Renn Fair, I would strongly advise against looking at any sort of cannon!

At its most basic, even something as small as a swivel gun is essentially a chuck of iron/steel nearly three feet long and four to 3 inches in diameter. That kind of weight (no matter how cool it looks) gets old after awhile. A full size cannon is even heavier, and naval carriages were never meant to be drug through the muddy streets of a RennFest.

If you are looking for something to “look” piratical, I would strongly encourage you to think about what a Pirate would in fact carry… They would carry chests, muskets, pistols, etc, but NEVER lug a cannon around. :D

From personal experience, I have never had a Captain express any concern about taking my gun aboard for special events. In the past I've used it for a variety of occasions (4 times to mark the start of regattas on lake Texoma, once at a concert in the park for a performance of the 1812 overture, etc).

I hate to dump a post this long on the forum, but if you are looking for a cannon to arm up a boat for a parade or similar purpose, have you looked at resin or fiberglass replicas? Many of these have become highly realistic and built with steel reinforce barrels capable of firing small charges and they are much cheaper than an actual piece.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck with your search!

Arr,

The Pirate King,

www.ThePirateKing.com

I wonder....is it legal to put one on one's front porch...... :lol:

They are legal in Texas.In fact there is no law against hunting deer or quail with cannon.Think claymore ambush :lol:

~CS

Hunting deer with a cannon ? Take a look at this web page. Scroll down and read the whole story. Not GAoP, but a real cannon just the same.

http://buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

I have a 1/4 scale CW piece on a naval carriage from Jefferson Armory that looks very nice. I need to drill out the vent hole to make it fireable. I'm not in any overwhelming hurry to do so as I use it just as a conversation piece to show to tourists: often at events where they're firing full scale cannon.

My big disappointment with it was the flimsiness of the box it came in.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Anyone here can check out the cannon forums at Greybeard outdoor and Muzzleloader. It is none of my business what anyone here does......., however let us please consider a few things about cannons.

Rule No. 1. ALWAYS build a cannon like it WILL out live you..., because it will.

Rule No. 2. Some dummy will get their hands on it and over load it .., and hurt people if it is not built right.

A cannon is not simply an over sized muzzleloader like a big pistol or rifle . Its alot differant than that. At 1" the ballistics of Black Powder changes drastically. A pipe should NEVER be used with a fiberglass outershell ? or some other fake cannon.

Pipe is usually rolled and welded ..,it has a seem .. where black powder can get "Blown into " causing erosion to the pipe. Failure will eventually occur.

The correct pipe to use would be Seam-less ...., very spendy. Also the breach plug should be machined that curves.,with-out a hard 90 degree where again corrosion occurs., thus failure.

Also ..,

Rule No. 3. the breach end of the cannon needs to be at least equal to the bore in all directions .

If you are not playing by these rules you are dangerous and a hazard to everyone around you.

The NSA has established these rules for proven safety after failures .

Continued faliures can add up to the cannoneers losing thier rights.

That would be a terrible loss. You can read about plenty of accidents on the afore mention two forums. Every time their is an accident it threatens us to lose our ability to own and fire them. As responsible cannoneers to ensure cannoneering is part of the American pastime and future we must not let anti NRA types and other do-gooders to capitalize on accidents......., Accidents cant happen or cannoneering becomes history :ph34r:

If it looks like a cannon ., build it to be one.

If you cant afford to do it right.., save until you can.

I started a thread a year ago about 4 newly commissioned cannons I am having built. I have been in line for these waitin my turn (They had several orders ahead of me) Also he is having to fabricated tooling to actually make it all happen. The maker has just gotten started . He is posting the creation of these cannons as an online project., we have upped it to a 6-pak.

4 Stainless cannons and 2 Bronze. Its a pleasure to watch Wes work he is a master machinist..., if anyone is interested I will post the links. These are going to be small ......., but REAL and done right ! These will be sharp. They are for our Scuba boat.

Stay tuned.

P.S. yea the Buckstix cannon and mortars are built right and so is Jefferson Armory's cannons. THEY MEET NSA RULES.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

HarborMastor ... these sound like some nice cannon your are having built

so yes, I would like to watch the progress of these cannon.

also if it is available, is there a link to the NSA rules you have posted about. Any info along these lines would be appreciated and I thank you for all the info already provided.

Steven St'arr

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

This will pretty much lay out the rules

http://www.americanartillery.org/aaa/marty.html

However it wont tell you how to build ., for that since there are so many differant designs., I would suggest asking and reading at Greybeard Outdoor .Greybeard Outdoor Cannon and Mortar forums This is also where Wes "Powderkeg" is doing his threads on the Build ..., look for his threads and just follow along . The most recent thread is the building of the drill bit to drill my bores. it is Powderkeg's Treatise on Drilling

and OOOh my poor back as well as Toolpost polisher This will probably be going for about 6 months ..., Including the lathe work as well as the finish work right down to polishing then a cypher !

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

The pleasure is all mine sir.

Try this one

Suggested reading is THE MORE COMPLETE CANNONEER By M.C. Switlik with selected excerpts from other artillery manuals

The book can be order from these two suppliers.

The Complete Cannoneer from Matt Switlik

and

South Bend Replicas

This will give you some rules.., history and build proportions.

• 2 weeks later...

OK here it is I knew I would find it some where. "The North-South Skirmish Association (N-SSA)" Rule book This will lay out Rules and codes for cannoneering., and of course a list of requirments for the construction of your cannon. Artillerey pages begin on pg. 69 . Page 69

pertains to cannons.

Lots of fine reading here. NSA

This will talk about how the Breach should be built. Ballistics with respect to podwer quantity to bore ratio. projo weights for given bores........., thickness of steel liners for cast iron cannons......., many points of interest to provide years of service and safety for us people to blow-up stuff and for others to be safe after we are long gone.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Avast Rats! "eave an hawser fer this bit o' me tu'pence on the subject o' cannon. I serves aboard of the "Meke"II, * guns, Homeport, Beaufort, NC. In our Homeport there abides a maker o' fine cannon what goes by th' moniker , Jim Bircher. His foundry, Beaufort Naval Arms. He's whet outfitted much o' the ordinance aboard o' the "Meka". Four Rail Guns, three small Brass Swivel Guns and a Bow Chaser what's a modified Lyle Gun. If'n ye ain't seen the "Meka" at a Gatherin' or been at a Gatherin what she been at and Heard her, ye'll know her well. For mark ye this, She's eight guns and shys not from any vessel of any flag.

So, ye want a cannon lad?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=153805695

This is a 7.75 foot - Full Size - Black Powder 9 pounder Naval Project Cannon!

This is a very hard to find full size reproduction of a 9 pounder Naval cannon.

The very heavy duty custom made duel axle trailer with a spare tire is available to the winner if he wants it for an additional $1,500 US$. The trailer is 17 1/2 feet long and 8 feet wide and includes ramps. It needs tires and work!

This cannon is about 25 years old and needs to be restored. The carriage is good, but needs repair to the front axle which is made of oak.

Overall barrel length: 93 inches (7.75 feet)

Bore: 4.25 inches

Steel Wheels: 14 inch diameter

The ammo and tool boxes, implements, etc., are included.

Complete set-up without the trailer is priced at to sell fast with a starting price of only:$6,995 US$

This is a NO RESERVE auction.

Plus reasonable delivery costs or pick up FREE in Southern Maine.

Note: The trailer is not licensed and needs new tires and temporary lights to move it.

Payment by Bank Wire Transfer or COD if picking it up yourself with a deposit!

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!