A pirate fest

PirateSSe

I am in the process of planning a pirate party for my husbands birthday the first weekend of October. I intend to post some of the pics and a few of my ideas.

The invitations I made were really cool. I took some parchment and burnt the edges a bit, folded them, wrapped some ribbon around them to keep it shut, and used a wax seal to hold the ribbon in place. Everyone was so impressed that they didnt want to disturb the seal by opening them. :lol:

Good luck

Hellfire Marie

I start to wonder

with me pockets full of plunder,

is there more to life at sea

than piracy? NO!

aye, me little swabs birthday just last Sunday was pirate themed.

The invitations were on aged paper with burnt edges. I used text from an old advertisement for privateers with some of the words changed around. We had a treasure hunt, designing our own colors & treasure maps & played a rousing game of "captain says". We ate baked potato boats & orange juice for lunch. We set up our canoe as a pirate ship for the crew to play on. The sandbox served as the beach for them to storm. The cake was shaped like a treasure chest. Each crew member got a bag of loot with necklaces, coins, jewels & pirate tattoos to take home.

Dinna have any grog though. Wouldn't want to send the little swabs home drunk.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

We've been having a Pirate Feast every January/February for 23 years this year. It's in Maryland and it's gotten so you have to buy tickets in September because it sells out. We rent an historical mill and have a feast. The stated date is 1690 but you can come as a pirate from any era. One year a Klingon pirate came. Another year a Pittsburgh Pirate outfielder! And one year, this guy showed up in a suit with a briefcase. He presented us with his business card -- Corporate Pirate! :lol:

The funny thing is that it all started off as a joke. You see, the reenactment season takes a break from November until March around here. By late January, we all start getting antsy, but there are no reenactment events to go to. So someone got the idea to have a pirate feast because pirates are fun and we could all dress up and be goofy.

Little did we know that 20 years later, we'd all get really serious about the Golden Age of Piracy and have to have our kit just so and all that rot.

But people who aren't serious are welcome too! It's a really fun time. Here's some pictures from previous years:

Pyrate Feast 2004

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I have never been to the "pirate feast" in the DelMarVa area as Kass is talking about... but I have heard of another.

There is a "save the boobies" pirate party (also in Maryland?)

http://www.teamwench.org/pf/main.shtml

Pretty much, they have a charity (Breast Cancer), and have a pirate themed party at a restaurant/hall/hotel or whatever.

They gets bands to donate their time and play etc etc.

Maybe you could do something like that?

Not only will you be scratching the pirate itch, but doing something for the greater good as well.

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 2 weeks later...

Hosted a big pirate party about 6 years back.

My father and I just bought a place out in the country and we hadn't moved in yet. My friends and I desided to have one hell off a party. Pirate theme of course.

It has a big 24'x16' deck we turned into a ship's deck. I rigged 3/4" line from a chimney that was about center of the deck. Looked like a ship when we were done.

Inside we set up cammo netting and made the front entry into a secret entry...

The night of the party it stormed like nothing we have seen. Sheet lightning, and torential downpour.

It made the party more fun. The feeling was like we were all pirates celibrating life while nature raged.

The big 6 car garage was turned into the fencing hall (prior to the drinking).

By around 4 in the morning the storm passes and we all jumped around outside.

Good time... good times indeed.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

I wouldn't mind having me a pirate fest one day, but there's this disturbing lack of plunder poking about, so before I kin be a pirate I'll have to find me some honest employ. Irony at her finest, eh? With me lack of fortune, the closest I've ever come is to dress as a pirate for a Halloween bash. Didn't even have someone with for celebratin' the Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Though if I were to host one of these things - and say money weren't an object - the first thing I'd be doing is sailing down to Newport, OR (aye, sailing; I've gone twice already in a car and I haven't been on a boat in years) and picking up the supplies from wonderful stores like Pirate's Plunder (located in Aquarium Village) and the Mariner's Marketplace (on the Historic Bayfront), where you kin get such rollicking good plunders as chunks of actual fishing net. Then I'd mosey me hiney on back, rent a good spot and find me some decorating buds. I may get catering, but I might just rustle up some right pirate grub by m'self, and whoever I had with me would spend long hours drinking rum-flavored coffee, diet sodas and other non-piratey drinks while singing bad shanties written by yours truly, and it would be a wonderful time.

Of course, we'd all be dogged up in our piratey finest, for which I would pillage the dickens out of any manner of stores that may sell what I be after. Wouldn't get too picky with lower budgets, but there would be absolutely no skirts allowed no matter what the gender of the pirates; wenches may wear skirts but the rest shall all be treated as rowdy, obnoxious pirate MEN for the entire affair, because THAT be the stuff of history, arr! Modern stuff be checked at the door, save for cameras -- and of course the refreshermenters. The only thing as good as grub is a photograph or few to remember the occasion by.

Unfortunately, 'tis just a fantasy for now, but one day it may happen, though probably on a slightly lower scale of grand. After all, one needs not money to enjoy his piratey cohorts!

"Unfortunately, 'tis just a fantasy for now, but one day it may happen, though probably on a slightly lower scale of grand. After all, one needs not money to enjoy his piratey cohorts!"

Aye, it may be just a fantasy now, but keep the fantasy alive and who be knowing what can happen.

I am working on putting together a sort of Pirate Party myself next summer here in beautiful Racine, WI.

I am going to the UK (I live in Germany) to visit some friends (I used to live in the UK) and I am going toThe Origianal Reenactors Market

How bout you?

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Good for you! 40 wasn't so good for me. September 11, 2001. Some people THINK their 40th birthday is a disaster. Mine was!

Not many wanted to celebrate ANYTHING that day.

Now I just celebrate for nearly a month and a half. this year 45 days of gifts for me!

Good for you! 40 wasn't so good for me. September 11, 2001. Some people THINK their 40th birthday is a disaster. Mine was!

Not many wanted to celebrate ANYTHING that day.

Now I just celebrate for nearly a month and a half. this year 45 days of gifts for me!

Yow---well, don't think of it as Disaster Day, think of it as your birthday, a whole separate entity.

I am going to the UK (I live in Germany) to visit some friends (I used to live in the UK) and I am going toThe Origianal Reenactors Market

How bout you?

Greg

I'll be havin' me a grand 40th birthday costume party.

I am hitting the big 40 in 6 days. :(

I am not handling it to well this year for some reason.

I was feeling extremely down about it, then it hit me~ have a party.

Mark a milestone in a good way.

Otherwise, I think I would have had a very upsetting weekend...

I am hitting the big 40 in 6 days. :(

I am not handling it to well this year for some reason.

I was feeling extremely down about it, then it hit me~ have a party.

Mark a milestone in a good way.

Otherwise, I think I would have had a very upsetting weekend...

I am planning on marking the occation with my first Tattoo. I have one of two things in mind. A gothic Ankh or the Skull & Cross Bones.