Pyracy Pub Book Group

Fox

If it's ok with everyone I'd like to get the ball rolling on this with two books which should be easily available (if they're not on your shelves already).

My suggestion is that anyone who fancies gets hold of a copy of each of these books then in a month or so we discuss and compare the two. Shall we say around the 15th of October?

Hopefully we'll all learn stuff and we'll be able (as time goes on) to weed out books which turn out to be rubbish.

I suggest breaking in gently with:

Under the Black Flag, by David Cordingly.

And Pirates: Blood and Thunder on the High Seas, by Nigel Cawthorne.

Anyone up for this?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'know, I've seen a million copies of the Cawthorne about the place but never bought it. Now I want a copy can I find one?! Even my library couldn't find a copy through I.L.L. They offered to buy one for me to borrow, but it just seemed easier to Amazon it.

Right, let's get reading! :lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Are you ladies going to read or just make witty comments? :lol: ... now...just to find a copy of the second book... and the time...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I can't speak for Rue, but I'm just going to make witty comments! :lol::lol:

[Just kidding, kids. Once the book discussion begins, as moderator, I will do my job and keep the witty banter to a minimum. I'm just going to make fun of Foxe now while I still can! :huh: ]

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Tora, yes that's the same book.

Kass... you're a meanie.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

I just started re-reading "Under the black flag".... lots of parts that I missed first time around.....

I haven't heard of the second book....but I'm still looking for Jhonsons "General History........" first.....

OK... not typing well tonight..... maybe off to bed.... well after just one more....... :lol: so much for academic typin'

Well I guess I'm in, I read this thread Wednesday and thought it would be fun but wasn't sure if I wanted to do the homework. But then I got home that night and my wife gave me a couple of anniversary presents one of which was Under the Black Flag! How cool is that!

Now if I can just get her to dress like a pirate wench for Halloween.... :ph34r:

Hmmmm ...time to read ...novel idea. :ph34r:

Hmmmm... Wonder if I can do here what I use to do in English Lit 101 in college. Just listen and participate in to the discussion on the book and then get an A on the paper. :ph34r:

Oh. No paper. Well, I guess not reading defeats the purpose of this exercise.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll have te catch up and read Under The Black Flag.

I had just started reading two years before the mast online only to discover my dad had a copy on the shelf! I should have known. I wish he was still here, his shelves are a veritable library of everything nautical. He was an avid reader, boat captain and fisherman. Plus he made a mean Tom Collins! I'll have to make a list :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere in a previous thread I posted a review I wrote of UTBF for a history class taught by a VERY particular professor, (the format is specifically for publishing history reviews... 750 words + or - 10% and fully footnoted) I'll see if I can provide a link to wherever the heck it was. (Footnotes indicated but not specified to prevent plagerisim... plaugerism... plageratizim... um... piracy.)

...and I hope this will do just that...

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtop...15entry145721

(um... if there's an easier way to link to a specific post, somebody feel free to clue me in... :rolleyes: )

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

• 2 weeks later...

So, anyone read these? Any thoughts on them?

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading "Under The Black Flag" slowly for a couple of weeks now and I have something to contribute to this discussion.

Overall, I like Cordingly's writing style. It's very conversational and for this reason I find it an easy read. I think it's a great book to give someone as their intro to the history and people of the Golden Age of Piracy.

But oh my God! Cordingly's organisation of subject matter makes me insane! Take for instance Chapter 5: Storms, Shipwrecks and Life at Sea. He starts out talking about the wreck of the Wyddah. Then he talks about some storms in the Carribean. Then he talks about charts and the primitive state of navigation and why no one could figure longitude accurately. Then he talks about Dampier! He goes on about Dampier for a good long time, mentioning neither storms nor shipwrecks and very little life at sea. Then he's back to charts and navigation again. Then he talks about common stomping grounds for pirates and why they were popular with them. Then he finally does a bit on life aboard ship, drinking and gambling, and the importance of musicians on ship. ? Then he starts on the democratic nature of pirate crews and the pirate "code".

Thank God the man footnotes all his pronouncements and his bibliography is extensive. And thank God for the index or I wouldn't be able to remember what chapter I read things of import!

What I'm trying to say is that it's a really good read, and he documents his statements well. But his "stream of consciousness" style wears on me (which is probably why it's taking me two weeks to read the first 100 pages!). I just start to get interested in a subject he's talking about, and then suddenly we're talking about the taste of turtle fat or how the people hired as local pilots were often bullshitters...

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!