'Jack Sparrow' Tricorn

I be lookin' at the 'Jack Sparrow' Tricorn at Excalibur Leather. It looks right purty, but anyone know what the grayish lookin' material in the middle of the fold be? Looks like some kind of foam or such.

---Mick MacAnselan

Link: http://www.excaliburleather.com/catalog/im...es/Tricorn1.jpg

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

Aye Ladd,

I took a lookie at th' pic... That grey stuff be th' underside o' the material- NO - it aint real leather, fakey leather type material....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Aye I've seen that hat before... I dont like the reddish color of it, meself.

Here's what (one of) Jack's hats looks like:

Jack's Hat

The picture's from an ebay auction they had... though way too rich for my blood. Though I might be interested in finding a good lookin' replica as well.

Good Plunderin', me lovelies!

~Dreamie~

"Ah, the city.. with all it's people and their accumulated wealth, yes?"

-Yoshimo

www.Dreamie.org

LilJackban.gif

Aye Ladd,

I took a lookie at th' pic... That grey stuff be th' underside o' the material- NO - it aint real leather, fakey leather type material....

I got me an email from Excalibur Leather, and here be what it said...

"The hat is entirely leather. The gray is the underside of the leather.

Since that photo was taken, we have begun darkening the entire hat

including the underside. The underside does remain somewhat lighter

than the rest of the hat."

Hmmmmm.

---Mick MacAnselan

aka Mick

I happen to be one that shelled out the doubloons for this hat, and found it quite pleasing. It fits perfect, and gives me that geeky Jack Sparrow look that I like so much. Just got it recently, and it's a finely crafted tricorn. See my cheesy avatar to the left.

I happen to be one that shelled out the doubloons for this hat, and found it quite pleasing. It fit's perfect, and gives me that geeky Jack Sparrow look that I like so much. Just got it recently, and it's a finely crafted tricorn. See my cheesy avatar to the left.

Rosalinda,

If it be all leather, and you be havin' one, can you tell us about th' grayish bit? How did they manage to make th' two sides o' th' leather differ'nt colors, and why I wonder? Is it a natural gray leather dyed brown just on one side?

---Mick MacAnselan

aka Mick

The outside of the hat is smooth, and the reverse is the suede side of the leather. Mine was received before the new darkening tecnnique was employed, I'm assuming. They appear to have surface dyed the leather, which is why the underside is a different color. I've resolved that color issue much to my satisfaction, using the following methods.

I simply "aged" mine a bit on both sides using leather dyes, lots of water, and burrying it in my back yard for several days, then watering said burial ground. Upon removing it from the mud hole, I drug it behind my car through gravel and over rough pavement. After another good and thorough soaking in muddy water, I placed it upon me head to let it dry for a custom fit. Then I gave it a good brushing to remove the debris, and followed up with generous amounts of mink oil on both the smooth and sueded sides.

Though a mighty headache and muddy hair were the unfortunate side effects, a perfectly "aged" and well fitting tricorn resulted.

The headache has long passed, and I've washed me hair since.

I must track down the receipt, but I'm certain I purchased this tricorn from Excaliber.

Ye may be thinkin' I went to a great deal of effort to achieve the "lived in" look, and perhaps you're right. It's an art, this business of wasting time...

The outside of the hat is smooth, and the reverse is the suede side of the leather. Mine was received before the new darkening tecnnique was employed, I'm assuming. They appear to have surface dyed the leather, which is why the underside is a different color. I've resolved that color issue much to my satisfaction, using the following methods.

I simply "aged" mine a bit on both sides using leather dyes, lots of water, and burrying it in my back yard for several days, then watering said burial ground. Upon removing it from the mud hole, I drug it behind my car through gravel and over rough pavement. After another good and thorough soaking in muddy water, I placed it upon me head to let it dry for a custom fit. Then I gave it a good brushing to remove the debris, and followed up with generous amounts of mink oil on both the smooth and sueded sides.

Though a mighty headache and muddy hair were the unfortunate side effects, a perfectly "aged" and well fitting tricorn resulted.

The headache has long passed, and I've washed me hair since.

I must track down the receipt, but I'm certain I purchased this tricorn from Excaliber.

Ye may be thinkin' I went to a great deal of effort to achieve the "lived in" look, and perhaps you're right. It's an art, this business of wasting time...

Errr, you be kiddin', right? If not, I'd love t' see a pic of th' result!

---Mick MacAnselan

aka Mick

I be lookin' at the 'Jack Sparrow' Tricorn at Excalibur Leather. It looks right purty, but anyone know what the grayish lookin' material in the middle of the fold be? Looks like some kind of foam or such.

---Mick MacAnselan

Link: http://www.excaliburleather.com/catalog/im...es/Tricorn1.jpg

That be lookin a bit on the expensive side...

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Er, no Mate! I not be kiddin... I never kid about art!

I'll post a pic as soon as I get around to taking one!

Ye bein a bit on the seasick part? Yer face be a shade a green I not been seein on land...

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Well then,

I stand corrected... sure looks like fake leather stuff from th' pic....

Surface dyed it, eh?

Crappy dye-job fer a 'spensive hat...

Glad they be doin a better job since th' pic... I hope....

Ah well, I'll not be buyin' one.... mayhaps I may make one... some day... fer now I'll stick ta me felt hats...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

For that money, I want it on a molded form, from one piece of leather. Jack's didn't have a sewn in crown top, that I remember. I'm going to try for a similar look by taking a brown wool blank and soaking it in beeswax. Get the same sort of effect and be a bit more waterproof.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Just for the record when buying from Excalibur Leather the price is definately worth what you get. I bought a leather hat from them seven years ago, wear it alot. The leather aged well and all the stitching and sealing is still great. They even were willing to switch the hat for me a year after I bought it because my hair grew enough not to fit under the original.

The Duchess

• 2 weeks later...
The grey material you see looks like interfacing of some sort, or maybe the reverse side of the material they used to make the hat. If I were you, I'd go eBaying for a more accurate hat, but I'm warning that now tha' it's Halloween, they'll be amazing in price.

Captain Wolfy Wench

I tried on one of these hats, that infamous "grey material" is leather. It is the fuzzier reverse side of the smooth leather used to make the outside of the hat. When the brim is turned up you reveal that side. It isn't inaccurate or unattractive.

The Duchess

Me father owns a leather warehouse, and I don' think I've ever seen leather whose reverse looks like tha'. You could email and ask them if ye want.

I didn' mean to say the hat was historically inaccurate or period or such, I mean if ye be wantin' a hat whose color matches Jack Sparrow's more, then look on eBay for people who try to make recreations. Some hats of theirs look amazin'. For cosplayers like me, accuracy to the real movie costume is a bit pet peeve, caught somewhere between my bein' cheap, o' course. :ph34r:

Captain Wolfy Wench