I got a part!!

I am pleased to annouce I got a part with the Florida Pirate Fest! Now I need some help with the character I am playing, unfortuantly it is not the mermaid (Oh well Maybe next year!) I will be playing a gambler. Here is my problem What would a female gambler dress like during the golden age of pyracy? I think I may have a name "Fox McShane" That may not be so great but for right now it works

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

A lady gambler? GAoP... I would think a high class courtesan

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

A lady gambler? GAoP... I would think a high class courtesan

I have the feeling I will be dressing like a boy.

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Be ye a successful gambler or one who's down on his luck? Dressing as a man is quite simple really. The hardest part is hiding ones female "assets".

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Dress as a boy? Oh, NO! Not that! Play up your obvious feminine wiles, deary. Curl your long tresses about your face, but wear a "Barbossa-ish" hat with showy feathers. Gambling with cards is as much game of intimidation as it is actual skill. Your real goal is to either blind them with briliance, or baffle them with bullsh*t. If they're entranced with you, the cards really don't matter. Savvy? :o

And for a name, maybe something rougher, like "Fox McGrath"? A bit of a roll off the tongue to it, to make the gents think twice? And puff up a bit as you say it? Yes, quite intimidating you'd be. :) :o

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Congratulations to you, my dear!! I guess the role you have won with flambouyant prowess will mean brushing up on your Piquet and Wisk skills. :o I am sure you will knock them all dead and send them reeling with your portrayal. As they say..."Break a leg!" :o

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Forgive my intrusion... please allow me the ramblings of a confused Pyrate in his rum.

My dear Lady, it has been my experience in life that we spend alot of time searching for answers all over and around the universe, and always come up "dry". Look inside yourself, and I'll wager you will find what you seek.

My best to you and"break a leg"! Bo

Forgive my intrusion... please allow me the ramblings of a confused Pyrate in his rum.

My dear Lady, it has been my experience in life that we spend alot of time searching for answers all over and around the universe, and always come up "dry". Look inside yourself, and I'll wager you will find what you seek.

My best to you and"break a leg"! Bo

That is so true, however I am not looking for answers when I come here with a question. Rather I come to ask opinons, I already had an idea of what I would like and just wanted to hear other ideasand so now armed with this information, I have seen things in a different light it is always good to get a different view of the same picture, and for that I thank you all!

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Ah, but as lovely as ye would be, there be so many doxies about the port. What else could we find? some of the Chinese pyrate ships had female gunners. And I knows there were female ship's chirurgeons and physicians in the Atlantic. Ye might ask Red Maria bout that one as it's served her well on the west coast fer some time. Hadn't it lass? :blink:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

My Dearest Kendra,

If you were to go as a high class courtesan, or perhaps a Lady who likes to 'dabble' for a coin or two. What better way to 'suprises' your audience...or victims :lol:

If you give 'away' the element of surprise...(who would expect a woman of position/or fame to be the best cut-throat gambler in towne?!) it doesn't leave much for 'playing' your part. And if you go with 'the unexpected role', this would give your character a large amount of 'play'.

Speaking as one myself, nothing pleases me more than to see the expression upon a man's face and leave him 'spent' in more ways than one!

What do YOU prefer? I, like the others here see you making the best of your feminine features but are you more comfortable in breeches or gowns? either could work and you can still appear feminine. Are you the type that likes things over stated or understated.

Please whatever you choose, do share your decision with us and POST PHOTOS!

My humble appologies miss. It was my confusion, and I agree fully with what you say. No insult intended I assure you.

:D I have 30 years (almost 30) of sitting on my. . .well lets just say it takes alot to get me insulted no harm done, and if something I said offended you I applogize as well. The written word can and dose get taken out of context at times.

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

My Dearest Kendra,

If you were to go as a high class courtesan, or perhaps a Lady who likes to 'dabble' for a coin or two.  What better way to 'suprises' your audience...or victims  :D

If you give 'away' the element of surprise...(who would expect a woman of position/or fame to be the best cut-throat gambler in towne?!) it doesn't leave much for 'playing' your part.  And if you go with 'the unexpected role', this would give your character a large amount of 'play'.

Speaking as one myself, nothing pleases me more than to see the expression upon a man's face and leave him 'spent' in more ways than one!

Name: Fox McShane (Sorry Mad Jack the other did not roll of my tounge the same way, besides it has part of my name in it)

She was named after her father Well known for his gambling. She knows little of gaming and relies on "distration" translation I AM WEARING A SKIRT and being pretty. The last time I was part of cast "Maevous wore a skirt and pants and I felt like such a boy. NO MORE! I AM WOMAN!

Ok I'll get off the box now. Fox is basicly a pick pocket her hand eye cornation isn't great (neither is mine btw) since her accident at sea.

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I had to not continue with the show my Mom goes in for a total hip replacement Oct 24 (Yes on my birthday) and my friend that takes me out has asma and was getting worse everytime we went to rehrehersals. So I will not be part of cast, I will still go to fest however. Don't be too sad for me I am really happy the way it all worked out. Besides it means I can work on my orginal plan of bringing the mermaid back to life, for next year. I have a wonderful idea I just need to find some pirates. If any one is interested and you live in Central FL E-mail me.

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Sorry to hear about the surgery, but it gives ya more time to put together your act.

I concur with playing up yer female wiles - nothing distracts and disturbs a male gambler more than a glimpse of a bit of unexpected territory we might dream of exploring!! Throws us right off our game, it does, as the brain loses all its blood flow... Can't help but be to yer advantage

Some ideas for some games that might be part of a GaOP skillset: - and have been used by swindlers for decades (so fits with yer pickpocket image)

Fast and Loose

Pea and Shell Game

Dice of some kind

Cards? (think 3 card monte)

Now these require some practice to get right, and can be purchased at a magic shop. Of course, if ye don't get them right, ye can always let them know a flintlock pistol is under the table aimed properly.