Spanish Pikes (Boarding Pikes)

Brit.Privateer

Hi all,

Has anyone realized it is a little bit harder to find information on Spanish Weaponry? Information for The English and French are more commonly seen. I can't seem to find anything on Spanish made pikes, mainly those meant to be boarding pikes. I know that pikes did not differ much, but there were some differences between the pikes of France and England, so why shouldn't Spain be different? There are very few books available, maybe a handful at most, that could have that information. But there is a problem, my "treasure chest" has finally run out (unless I want to sell something I own on ebay). So are there any places on the internet where I could find some information?

For examples of available books, take a look:

Spanish military weapons in colonial America, 1700-1821

Small Arms of the Spanish Treasure Fleets

A history of Spanish firearms, (Arco gun library)

And, to get an idea of how expensive it can be to get some of these books, here is the cheapest price for the first book in the above list:

Ebay Sale: SPANISH MILITARY WEAPONS IN COLNIAL AMERICA 1700-1821

You mean Fort Matanzas or Castillo de San Marcos? All I can find are the National Monument sites (which I doubt would help me, Government sites seem to just concentrate on tourism). Anyone got a link to a website that concentrates on the history more (if one exists)?

That is an interesting question BP.

I would imagine that with the amount of Spanish ships "plundered" from 1650-1720, there would have been a lot of weapons available.

Try contacting the guy at this site

http://www.artifacts.org/default.htm

He, at least, might be able to point you in the right direction.

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

You mean Fort Matanzas or Castillo de San Marcos? All I can find are the National Monument sites (which I doubt would help me, Government sites seem to just concentrate on tourism). Anyone got a link to a website that concentrates on the history more (if one exists)?

I honestly don't remember which one it was, but the people at one of those two are extremely helpful/knowledgeable and eager to help. It's a 50/50 shot... what have ya got to lose in trying? :)

Shipmates!

Interesting question. I checked in my copy of Boarders Away (with steel) and found the following quote from Gilkerson regarding "chuzo de abordage" (Boarding Pikes)

"It is apparent that pike heads were not often considered significant enough objects to warrant marking during the classical age of fighting sail, particularly during the early years, and the identification of these lowly weapons even to nationality is often impossible now. Updateable examples of Spanish, Dutch, English and Scandinavian pikes have been observed with square-section spike-style heads so closely resembling one another that they might have been made by the same hand, but not for the knowledge that they were not."

Gilkerson does show an illustration of a two headed Spanish pike but says it is a 19th century development.

Based on that, I would say that there is no purely Spanish pike head to replicate.

The Castillo de San Marcos is the place to call, they are VERY helpful and willing to assist anyone who needs some information. Check with the site historian.

Hope this helps,

M. Williams Esq.

Late Surgeon to his Majesty’s provincials