Port Royal Character Bio's

Ransom

RED RACKHAM

[Toxicadia]

Statement

They be callin' me by th' name o' Red Rackham. I've been livin' on this isle, eresince me Mother put me here. I live jus' on th' outskirts o' town, in a dimmed cottage wi' th' pub owner, Pierre, and 'is Lady Miss. Port Royal, aye, 'ere I call homeport. I never met me Father, he sank t' Davy Jones' locker when I be around 3 they say. A yeller belly too, accordin' t' what me mother whispered t' me.

I wear a rin' on a strin' around me neck, one what me mother gave t' me before she passed on. Anne Bonny be th' lass' name. An' let ye be known, that's nay all she passed on. I be known t' be a wick wi' th' iron cutlass, an' a blast wi' th' double barrel pistol. I be yet t' have me own ship, an' be lookin' fer a new crew, as 'tis about time I became part o' one. To thisday, I've been hidin' in th' hull, wearin' hats o'er me face an' hair, battlin' th' navy wi' th' boys. Aye, what a life t' live. I do be havin' a very short temper, which dasn't help when I be wi' me cutlass. Any o' ye scally dogs up fer a bottle 'o rum wi' a lass?

Disposition

Red is quiet at times, usually when her mind is overflowing with new ideas and tricks. She is generally good natured and mostly cheerful, but has an extremely short temper, accompanied with a fiesty attitude. She will smile if smiled at, and will shoot if looked at wrong. At only seventeen, she has a lot to learn, but with her past experience, and that passed down from her Mother and Pierre, she is well on her way. Friendly to most and violent towards the worst, Red is a lady never to cross blades with.

Physical appereance

Light brown hair, scarred by the sun. Blue eyes with flecks of sea green and sunset yellow in them, to watch the oppourtunities come her way. 5'7 and 57kgs, she has a slim shadow. Her hips just finishing to develop, they add the womanly touch to her pirating figure. Sun darkened skin, she is a real sea faring lady.

Background more in depth

Born as a secret love child to Anne Bonny, her Father was none-the-less 'Calico' Jack Rackham. When Anne fell pregnant with her, it was decided between the pair that Red was to be born on Cuba. When the time was due, Jack sailed to Cuba and dropped his love onto the land, where she gave birth to the child. Anne stayed with Red until she was one years old, where on her life long friend Pierre organised for Red to be taken to Port Royal, where he and his wife could provide the care she needed. As Anne longed to be back on the sea she loved so well, she agreed. Anne accompanied Red on the journey. Jack arrived a few days after, meeting his daughter for the first time. They bonded instantly, much like Anne did with her too. 3 days later, Anne and Jack set sail with their crew once more, saying goodbye to their daughter for the time being. And so, Red grew up on port, seeing her Mother and Father a few times a year, as they stopped in at Port Royal. On the year of her twelfth birthday, she heard news that her Mother and Father had been captured, and were sentanced to hang. Pierre, however, knew otherwise. He had heard that Jack had already met Davy Jones, with Anne meeting another fate. Anne had once again fallen pregnant, and was awaiting a trial, spending her days waiting in a dirty cell, a baby growing inside. He organised for a group of his Pirate friends to rescue her. And so they went, arriving back with Anne and her enlarged belly three months after they had first set foot offshore.

Anne carried on living with her daughter, Pierre and June until the day she died. On her deathbed, she gave Red a ring on a string that Jack had given her the day they met. Red took it lovingly, placing it around her petite neck.

During her five years with Red, Anne had taught her many skills, including how to bargain like a lady using her tools, how to sail a ship, how to kill with a pistol, and particularly how to dice perfectley with a cutlass. Many more skills and experiences were passed on, with Red sapping in every word her Mother uttered.

Red still resides in Port Royal, waiting for the right oppourtunity to ask permission. Her dream is to sail avast the high seas, making a name for herself as her Mother once had. She is well on her way, and is willing to try anything that jumps at her.

annebonny2tz2.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Toxicadia

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Must be The Rocky Road to Dublin....All these "bumps"

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

Too bad they aren't speed bumps. Maybe it would slow people down enough and we could start the story again. Summer's a busy time, but......I'm game. B)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Well then quit posting the word bump and actually write something... I'll give it my best shot

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

B)B) Done!!!!

Okay, well, soon. I need to think a little. B)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Now there's a thought....

And I did'nt write "bump".....much B)

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

• 2 months later...

Rusty Nell Riley's me name, rum's me game. I hail from Cornwall, England, a little town called St Agnes, in the Carrick parish. It's a port town ya see, of fisherman, farmers, and tin miners. Me mate, Dead-eye say's that makes me a bloody cornish hen. bahhh.... HEN!!....I've bloodied him for that I ain't no chicken!. I can hold me own! Saved me pub enough times from skallywags startin a rowe. So don't you be startin any trouble wid me ye see.

Singin's another one o me talents, keeps em in me pub fer another grog. And I can soothes em when they be getting to rowdy fer their own good. Like me moder I learned to wield me whiles like they was a sword - woo' em wid a lullaby an they won't see ya coming she say's. So I use me songs when I needs to, especially them sailors, they loves a good sad song to take their mind off the sea. Mum swears its how she ended up wid me bastard of a dad. He woo'd her with them devil sea songs she says. Convinced her to marry him, a man who would always leave her. You sees, me own dad was a merchant sailor, a shanty man. Those sea songs he left me mum wid was me lullaby's so I knows em all. Me ol mum was a farm girl, for she met me dad. From a fairly well off family, but dad drank through her dowry for I was even born. She turned to making spirits to keep him in drink and keep us fed. She always seemed happier when dad was at sea. May ave been the only time money was well enough to feed me and me 6 sisters.

So how'd I end up in Port Royal, ye ask?

I came ere as a young girl. Mum was gettin up in age, and well me sisters and I wid few men left to marry were becomin a burden she couldn't bare. So I stowed away on a merchant ship at 14 disguised as a boy. I was a fool wantin' the free life of a sailor, ain't no free life at sea! not on a merchant vessel, just hell and back breakin work, and need I mention near 2 years behind the mast... I was starting to show signs of being a girl, if yas know what I mean. So I skipped ship and decided to take my chance in Port Royal alone. Was sure wid me mums recipe's for spirits I'd make me fortune in no time. Sure enough turns out its rum thats in me blood.

So ere I am... setting up shop in Port Royal on High Street wid an ear to the skuttlebutt in me pub, looking for my next adventure.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My Story

Being a History of one Elizabeth Mary Rose McManus

Alias “Red Bess” McManus

Shepherdess of Arran and Notorious She-Pirate of the Caribbean

It pleases me to write this History, as only a few short years ago I could neither read nor write. But I will tell that part of my tale in due time.

Part I: Shepherdess of Arran

My name is Elizabeth McManus, known to all as Bess. I was born on the Isle of Arran, the first and only surviving child of Nancy and William McManus. As I understand it, my mother gave birth to my brother Charles when I was one year of age. Charles died shortly after his birth, and afterwards my mother bore no more children. My father was a goat herder for Lord Archer. We lived in a small cottage on a hill, where we could look out upon the sea. Many were the days that I sat and dreamed of what lie beyond the sea. I vowed some day to leave Arran and explore the world. I had no plan, of course, for how to accomplish this, since we were poor and bound to the service of Lord Archer as long as we lived.

My mother died when I was 17, and I took care of the cottage and helped my father tend the goats until he died 3 years later. After that, I lived alone, caring for the goat herd, with the occasional help of my cousin Fergus, and other neighbors. It was a quiet, uneventful life, and I had resigned myself to living out my days as a spinster, for there were few lads in the area who held any interest to me.

Then one morning, as I climbed the ridge to look for a doe and kid who had gone astray, I noticed a small ship had come ashore in our harbor. Upon closer investigation, I could see the ship, a small sloop, I believe, seemed to have suffered some damage to it’s masts and hull. I decided to have a closer look, so I climbed down the hill to the waters edge. There did not appear to be anyone on board, until I came right up to the bow. That’s when I saw a bloody arm hanging over the rail. Then I saw the body of a man, caught in the rigging, hanging upside down, with eyes open and mouth agape. In horror, I began to back away, unable to tear my gaze from the hideous sight. Finally, I turned to run, but there before me stood a man, his clothing in tatters and blood dripping from a wound in his chest. I screamed. The man reached out his hand to me, and it appeared he was going to speak. But instead, he fell forward into the grass.

For a moment I stood in shock, not knowing what to do next. At first, I presumed him dead. But a noticed his chest was moving up and down with breath. So I picked up his legs, and dragged him up the ridge to my cottage. I put him into my cot, and fetched some water and a cloth to clean his wound. He was not a large man – rather he was slender and not much taller than myself. He had soft, dark hair and long dark lashes. His cheekbones were high, and his cheeks a bit hollow. It occurred to me that perhaps he had not eaten in some time.

When he finally woke, I saw that he had dark eyes that complimented his lashes quite well. He told me his name was Geoffrey, and his ship had fallen under the attack of pirates. His crew was killed, but he was able to escape by sailing into the harbor. I told him he could stay with me until he was well again. He thanked me and it was then my heart told me I had done a good thing. What my heart didn’t tell me was that there was much more trouble to follow.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Lady Anastazia "Ana" Elisabeth de Kalb Barbossa

Late 40-ish in appearance

Born to a blacksmith and a merchant's daughter, growing up with a hidden desire for adventure. The girl became a Lady whom fortune was not normality, but a path of mystery.

Forced from the familiarity of home into the midst of war. To survive, she had to hide in plain sight. From Gentlewoman to Dragoon, she soiled her hands with the blood of many. From Dragoon to captive of a British Colonel who was her enemy only to become his Fiancee. From Fiancee to mourn the Colonel's demise to Adventuress of the New World. From Adventuress to Harem Slave. From Slave to an Apprentice under Big Ben Copper, a friend and mentor. From an Apprentice of a Privateer to a mysterious Pirate Lady and Beloved of a man Hell hath spat out.

The Resurrection

A elegantly haunting bloody crimson and charred black hull, elaborately carved with figures of Gods, mythical beings and ghastly images giving the appearance to some a vessel of legend. Masts are charred black with hints of red claimed to be blood. The sails are deep crimson some swear has been soaked blood.

The charred figurehead of a skeletal woman Angel rising from the flames of Hell with the left hand outstretched towards it's prey as though in desperation to grab it while the other holds a blackened heart.

Incorporating sweeps plus fully rigged; square and fore-and-aft sails with studding sail, to ensure it's speed to reach it's destination if necessary, be it near or far, be it a prize or a port or means to escape danger.

The crew is a hodgepodge of murderers, thieves and misfits. All doomed and damned by God or the Law. Marks on their body from narrow brushes with death. Each one of them the epitomy of the 7 Deadly Sins.

Benjamin Graves

The First Mate of the Resurrection, Graves is a tall, stocky man in his early-50's with long, curly salt & pepper hair in the current fashion, wearing mostly neutral colored fashion almost similiar to a Quaker.

Andre Louis Moultrie

Moultrie looks like a foppish Courtier but is a sensable and mostly quiet Gentleman, far more masculine than he appears. Average height, thin build. He's the Navigator and does his job well.

Nicholas Siege

A young man in his late-20's, Siege perhaps is the most energetic and outspoken man aboard. He's never afraid of getting into some fight, better if it's a sea battle. After all, he is the Master Gunner. Don't let his pretty boy looks fool you; dirty blonde and cool eyes, of average height and build. Prideful but he will never cross nor anger Graves. He knows better.

William Grey

Quartermaster of the ship, he's a cold, hard man trying to pass off as a stuffy Gentleman. But wouldn't hesitate to betray. He's kept in line by constant reminders - silent or otherwise - by Graves, if not by Ana and Locke. He a tall, thin man with steel blue eyes and dark curly hair in a fashionable style, dressing as fashionable as possible to try and exude himself as better than others.

Jonathan Locke

One of those men who is by the book so to speak. Former soldier in His Majesty's Army, Locke is a pretty stiff and humorless man it seems. He does have his days, but he's usually serious. War hardened him like it did with many others. His role is the Master At Arms.

Thomas Cryer

Good with the crew, hard when he needs to be, but rather calm and encouraging. Hard to come by men like him. Average and lanky with a dark mop upon his head, part Asian in appearance. He's no fashionable person by any means. As long as it's functional. As Boatswain, he does a good job.

Perkeo Flarg

One who enoys life and he's not afraid to show it. Average and stout, he's also good with the crew. Modest man he be, refusing to be Boatswain but would contently be the Coxwain. All in all, he does his job well.

Matthew "Smalls" Toeffen

Toeffen gained his nickname by the questionable ladies while in some port. And somehow, it stuck! A fun loving gent, he's too fun loving. Definitely loves his rum and has been known to sneak away a bottle or few. Which usually does NOT settle well with the Captain. All in all, he's the power to handle the massive helm of the ship and takes his duty as Helmsman seriously... well, as seriously as he can be.

Davey Kidd

Ana's young nephew. Somehow the lad found his Aunt and joined the crew. By no means a wee thing, he's a tall, stout lad and a heart for adventure.

Other crew members possibly mentioned:

Shun Li, Jeremy Keyez, Siam Ranjit, Abdulaziz, Colt, Nat, Havana, Umbangu, Nkunda, Marco, Duarte, Warren Wyldes, Takoda, Aaron Pontier, Izrael Sef, Kumar al-Shad, Joaquin, Jacob Younger, Timothy Younger, Joe Patch, Olsen "Ol" Mann, Devlin, Dirks Maberly, "Lefty" McPherson, Hackett, Redd

FYI - I please ask that you do NOT take on or post these character unless you have my permission. Please?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Just a refresher course, in case she turns back up! (You know she will! <_< )

Rakehell — Rake-masted schooner. Black hull with red stripe. Sienna sails. Flush deck, no poop deck (see my sig for a visual). Originally built for stealth and speed as a smuggling vessel.

Ransom — Captain. Never gives her birth name (well, except to one special person). Late 20's (this is fiction, folks. LOL) Came by the Rakehell through dubious means, and for the last eight years has paid with body and soul to keep her. Very good with knives and other pointy weapons, but can use a pistol when required. Can speak French, Italian, and a bit of Arabic. Volatile temper. (Well, she's a redhead) Tends to be sarcastic, and skeptical of people's motives. Takes no shite, from man nor beast.

Africa — Former slave, rescued from a Spanish galleon. Devoted to Ransom, and now her personal bodyguard and first mate. Doesn't know how old he is, but probably in his mid 30s. Over six feet tall, with tribal scarring on face and arms.

Ioan Loghry — Former first mate, now traitor. A handsome Welshman. Charming to ladies, but with a giant chip on his shoulder. Thinks the world owes him a living. Mid 30s. Currently in hiding in Port Royal.

Tunny Dobson — Ships carpenter. Late 40s, thin, with sandy colored hair. Has been with Ransom since she took the Rakehell.

Jimmy Cox — Able seaman. Early 20s. Still learning the ropes, but devoted to the crew.

Goose — Ship's cook. Named not because he can cook a nice goose, but because he's as stupid as one. However, he can fight like a demon, so earns his keep.

Ludovico Baglione — Able seaman and prospective new cook. Short, bandy-legged, and in his late 30s. Recently taken on board in Port Royal. When feeling good, he sings Italian opera...loudly. Does not speak English.

Collard Dysart — Able seaman and carpenter. Crusty old Scot in his late 50s. Rescued from captivity in Havana. (This character has his own avatar, and posts mostly in The Pirate Hunter's Smarter Brother, but he is part of the Rakehell crew).

**These are characters created by me. Mess with them at your peril! B)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Marisol de Sansal — 26 years old, black hair, amber eyes. Illegitimate daughter of an Italian father and Turkish mother. Left Turkey when a child of seven, and raised in Italy. Returned to Turkey at the age of thirteen and trained as a court courtesan, where, among other things, she was taught several different languages to enhance her usefulness. She, and her guardian, Ahmet, were gifted to a wealthy Parisian diplomat and spent four years in Paris. They were subsequently gifted to a Spanish ambassador from Cartagena. Six months later the ambassadore's wife discovered her husband's little love nest, and put her foot down. Marisol and her guardian, Ahmet, left Cartegena intending to go back to Paris.

Things did not work out as they had planned.

Edited by Marisol de Sansal

Faisons de fueille cortine et s'aimerons mignotement...

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Tiberius

Tiberius was born in the area that was rapidly becoming known as Alexandria in the Colony of Virginia. Of course, he had a last name but he didn't remember it. His father was the last kindly man that Tiberius remembered knowing. His father always told him that he was named for some ancient Roman king. He used some other fancy word Tiberius couldn't remember but he said it meant "king". He told Tiberius that he was destined for great things. Then the tavern that Father owned had burned to the ground and Father and Mother had vanished along with the entire building.

Tiberius managed to live on his own for a whole year before he was caught pilffering food from a window sill. He was lucky in a way, that instead of being thrown in jail, he was taken in as a servant. Even if his master had the warmth of an ogre, it was better than starving.

Tiberius was eventually sold to a merchant ship. Not only was he ill used by the crew but they cast glances that made him uncomfortable and often whispered to each other behind his back. He began to fear that they planned something dastardly for him.

It was the hallmark of his life that he was rescued from one situation only to be thrown into another even more perilous.

His ship was overtaken by pirates. A simple choice he was given. Join their crew or die.

It didn't take long to make his decision.

The pirates were nothing like what he thought they'd be. During the brief battle with the merchant ship he'd swear they all had horns and brimstone flashing from their eyes. But he soon learned that they were just men. Their humor was crude and they were brutish but once he was a member of the crew they showed him no ill will. He wasn't an equal yet, but he had sure risen high over his former station. He was a free man now, so they told him. Master of his own destiny.

When they came upon their next ship and he learned he was expected to fight, he nearly soiled himself.

The Captain admonished him.

"Get 'hold of yerself, Lad. These be the same sort of swine who've abused you your whole life. Time to pay them back, Lad. Show them you're a free man. Master your destiny"!

With that he thrust a cutlass into Tiberius' hand and clapped him on the back.

Tiberius could've sworn he had horns on his head and brimstone flashing from his eyes. He fought like the devil. Seeing fat merchants fall before his blade was like... like... well, he didn't have the words for it. He was Tiberius, the King of Rome and his enemy fled before him and begged him for mercy.

He showed them none. That's what the black flag with the skull meant. They'd dared to resist and tried to fight so no quarter was given.

Life at sea was hard, to be sure, but he was free. He called no man "Master". Not even the Captain claimed that title.

He was free... and destined for great things.

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

• 1 month later...

Captain Justin Kase

If you ask his parents the ancient Norse Gods still survive otherwise how could a child, decendant from an ancient line of Viking jarls and warriors, be born under the watchful eye of the Trickster God Loki. It was said that the baby was born with a twinkle in his eye and a smirk upon his lips.

He has had a small stint in the British Navy as ship's cook, and a longer career as cook on a pirate vessel.

Justin Kase is captain of The SeaMonkey, a corvette he claimed as his own after a pitched battle in which the previous captain was killed and the crew elected him to the new position.

Appearance: Early Thirties. Clean shaven with bright blue eyes and thick, dark, wavy black hair. His Norse/Icelandic ancestry shows in his size with being over 6 ft tall and 20 stones. A smile generally plays across his lips, even during the heat of battle.

Trinkets: He even wears an Lokian amulet around his neck to show his faith in the old Gods. a cleaver hangs from his hip, and has been known to use it to chop "meat". He recently came into posession of his ancestral family axe, which hangs upon the wall in his cabin. (Think of the Axe used in the movie Braveheart)

Morgan Macghabbon: First mate of the SeaMonkey. Where the captain is a dark presence Morgan is the visible opposite. Being 10 stones and just under 6 ft in hieght. His bright red hair is cropped close to his head.

Boom Boom: Only a man touched by a Trickster God would allow someone with the Nom De Plume of Boom Boom to be in charge of the guns on his ship. Do not let the fact that Boom Boom is a female who barely looks old enough to understand the meaning of womanhood, or that she is constantly pushing her dirty blonde hair out of her face as she yells over the cannons roars. This woman knows more about firepower than most gunners twice her age, and rumor has it she is actually older than the captain. Rumor has it she made a deal with a Voudon priestess asking for youth, what she did not expect was to look pre-pubesent.

More crew to come if need be.

Captain Justin Kase

Captain of the Dread Pyrate Ship SeaMonkey

Beloved of Anya Kase

Also Known As Silverback, The Naughty Bard

Quixotic Pyrate of the Desert Seas