Port Royal Character Bio's

Ransom

This thread is for those currently playing in, or wishing to join the Port Royal role-playing thread. It gives quick biographies of the characters, both main, and supporting, that you might run into while in town! It is to help all of us keep track of who's who.

NOTE: PORT ROYAL PLOT IDEAS AND CHARACTERS ARE COPYRIGHTED BY THOSE WHO HAVE CREATED THEM. NO ONE MAY USE THESE CHARACTERS WITHOUT THEIR CREATOR'S PERMISSION.

RANSOM

Female. Captain of the schooner Rakehell. Twenty something years old (This IS a fantasy, right!). Light red curly hair, Irish-blue eyes, 5' 6" boyish figure. Youngest daughter of landed gentry. Very good with rapier and knives. Tends to be sarcastic, and has quick fits of temper.

IOAN

Male. Currently first mate of the Rakehell. Welsh, dark curly hair, black eyes, 5' 10" and in mid-thirties. Suspicious nature, not given to loyalty. Ladies find him dangerously attractive.

AFRICA

Male former slave. Able seaman. Big, with some tattooing. Very loyal to Ransom.

GOOSE

Male. Ship's cook. Mid-thirties, skinny, with stringy blond hair. Named Goose not because he can cook one, but because he's as dim-witted as one. A sniveler with a good heart.

JIMMY COX

Male. Able seaman. English, about seventeen. Light brown hair, thin build.

PROFESSOR ANGUS TRILBY

Male. From Scotland. Short, stocky, with graying red beard and bushy eyebrows. Blustery nature, age mid-sixties. Dresses in long, tatty scholars's robe full of burn holes, and wears a Turkish turban to cover his bald head. A man of many mysteries. Keeps company with a cat named Cleopatra, and a Jamaican servant boy named Souris.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>JOHN CHRISTIAN STERLING </span> TM

changed although trademark/copyright still applies

All characters/names/conditions (including John Christian Sterling, Joshua Merriweather, Sean Merriweather, Sarah Sterling) are the sole property of C. A. Salone and cannot be used without permission... Copyright/TM 2004.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

:lol: Name: Reginald Killingsworth

Birthplace: Whitny, England

Died: Port Royal, Jamaica

Murdered by the hand of his loving cousin - Tess St. Clarie

gravestone.jpg

This Grave contains all that was Mortal of a Englishman Who on his Death Bed in the Bitterness of his Heart at the Malicious Power of his Enemies Desired these words to be engraven on his Tomb Stone..."Here lies One Whose Name Will Not Be Forgotten!"

Description of Physical Character: Man of early 30s, 5'8" in height, slender build, approx. 205, light brown hair, blue eyes.

Disposition: Causing mental anguish upon others, watching others suffer by their own hand, participating in various acts of lewdness and debauchery with questionable individuals, beating women, kicking children, rat pucking and going to the theater!

Background: Henchman to Lord Darnly, sent to reclaim one Mistress Lilly McKinney after leaving (okay...running away from) Lord Darnly's charge. Will do anything to succeed in his task. Born in high social circles (court class), but does not play well with others. Possesses a lisp and is VERY sensitive about it. Above average IQ, but does not boast about it. Does on occasion have delusions of grandeur.

Has several 'cousins' of higher social class within Port Royal. A distance cousin - Tess St. Claire, also of High social circles (court class).

200px-John_Wilmot2.jpg

Allow me to be frank at the commencement; You will not like me...™

portroyalbannerfinalbig-1.gif

THE EMPRESS

Name: Catherine Grey

Physical description: a woman "of a certain age" -- no longer in her first flower of youth, but certainly not yet past her prime -- tall (5'8"), dark haired, fair skinned

Not much is known about The Empress' early life. She gained notice in the brothels of Covent Garden twenty years ago and has been talked about ever since. Some say she is the illegitimate child of an member of Charles II's court. Others say she is from the Continent -- France or Flanders -- although she maintains an upper-class English accent. It is said she has been the lover of the wealthiest men in Europe and keeps secrets that could topple empires. No one knows if this is true or mere gossip.

Above all, The Empress is a business woman. She runs "The Empress of the Seas" coffee house -- a place of political debate, business transactions, and romantic assignation. The coffee house is named for her soubriquet, The Empress, a name given to her by her clients in reference to her demeanor: "She comports herself as if to command princes and kings."

In addition to her popular coffee house, she runs a high-end brothel in St. James -- a place renown for its discretion and privacy. She maintains other smaller interests -- a milliners' shop in the Strand, a chocolate shop across from the theatre. It's also rumoured that she controls a shipping interest in the Colonies.

Until her surreptious departure for the New World, Mistress Lilly McKinney was in her employ when she was between plays on the stage.

Her relationship with Captain John Sterling is well-known yet enigmatic.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Name: Johnny Tarr

Birthplace: None of your D*** buisness

Description: Just over 6 foot tall. Dark brown hair with an unkempth mustach. This one just showed up one day and started to sail with anyone that seemed to promise a good amount of treasure. Soon gained a reputation of being lucky. This was due to two things. One, every ship that he was on got a least a fair haul. Two, he always wanted to be in the thick of any fighting. A heavy Engligh accent and very well spoken speaks louder than words that he is not just a common sailor but he will not talk about his early life. Loves the company of the ladies and loves to spend his money on them. If not with the ladies then he is in the pub with a tankard in his hand. Very ready for a fight, favorite weapon seems to be anything at hand. He carries an old and worn cutlass at his side and he is known to have one pistol and a blunderbuss. He has never been known to draw his cutlass unless blood is spilt. Either his own or someone elses. Not the greatest sword fighter he is none the less still alive. Various scars are known to adorn his body.

Still on shore spending the loot for the last time he went out. He will have to go out soon if he keeps up this pace.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Jacob Reiley

AKA: Rats O’Reiley

Occupation: Ship’s Surgeon on the Archangel and recovering outlaw

Discription: Mid 30s, dark hair, green eyes and though he cleans up well enough, he's a typical scoundrel. However he’s a loyal scoundrel! Currently the authorities of London and Port Royal have warrants for an outlaw known as Rats O’Reiley. Jacob Reiley is also wanted in London for the death of a magistrate’s son.

Background:

His father was lost while serving in the colonies. His mother served on a large estate where he became friend with the landlord’s son. After the young man died, the landlord somewhat favored the young Reiley and eventually “arranged” an appointment to Guy’s school of medicine in London.

Following the death of a young lady, Reiley challenged a fellow student to a duel. After killing said student, who happened to be a local magistrate’s son, Reiley took to the road as a wanted man.

Eventually falling in with a well-known highwayman and duelist known as Grady Lords, Reiley began his apprenticeship in criminal arts as Rats O'Reiley. Following the heroic death of “ol’ Grady” and with the authorities hot on his trial, Reiley “talked” his way into the service of a gentleman and his wife (more due to servicing the wife) who were traveling to Port Royal.

While enroute, the lady whom Reiley was “favored” by became ill and died before reaching Port Royal. Without need of a servant, Reiley was without occupation and returned to his career of lawlessness as Rats O'Reiley.

Eventually captured by the bounty hunting Allister Brothers, Reiley escaped and managed to secure himself the position of ship’s surgeon onboard the Archangel.

Though very capable in the medical arts, Reiley has the bedside manner of a tapster. He's straight forward and to the point, but he has also learned to pick his battles wisely.

He is frustratingly drawn to Mistress McKinney, has a great respect for the good Captain Sterling, and owes a debt to Mr. Hazzards for saving his life.

ADDITIONAL SUPPORTING CHARACTERS:

Young Mr. Davis:

A young seaman fron the Archangel assigned to assist and "keep an eye" on Doctor Reiley. Reiley has a fondness for the lad because he reminds Reiley of himself as a youngman. Though far from educated, young Mr. Davis has a surprisingly strong stomach, a good eye for detail and the makings of a good surgeon's mate.

Doctor Owen Easterly:

A local surgeon who has befriended Reiley. Easterly is the sort who will talk and talk until you wish to physically harm him. He loves his drink and a good story. Easterly is a widower.

Abbigale "Abbi" Crane

Abbi runs a mill and coachhouse on the outskirts of Port Royal. She is a good source of information and rumor and is well informed. She is trusted by Reiley and is somewhat a mother figure to him. Abbi lost her husband "Danny Boy" Crane to the gallows as a unsuccessful pirate. And though a widow, she is a spitfire with a razor sharp tongue!

It gives quick biographies of the characters... that you might run into while in town!

We're not quite inna town yet me lady.

But ye'll know us when we get 'ere...

Names Ian Finn, me bruddahs Liam.

Physical Description: Errr, well, Liam looks likes a bit like me, (twins an' all), ravishin' good looks, from wot th' ladies tell us. I know we c'n fit through a cannon port, (we tried). 'bout 12 an' half stone, nearly 2 meters tall, dressed 'n "borrowed" clothes.

Disposition: Drunken 'r sober?

Background: Kinda foggy. Jus' 'member me an' me bruddah in shackles 'bein put 'board a trader back a' 'ome, bound fer th' colonies. Sumthin' 'appened topside 'bout a fortnight inna th' trip, an' we ended up 'n an'oer 'old witout th' shackles but bound instead. Silly sods. We jumped ship in th' 'arbour o' Port Royal. Mebbe me bruddah 'members more....

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

Name : Nathanial Striker

Birthplace : Hafnia , Denmark

Physical Description : Striker is 6" tall with blue eyes .

Used to wear wigs but the heat and humidity made it unbareable .

he has short cut dark hair , to begin with made short for the wigs but now for the heat .

Striker is a master marksmen , but really rubish in melee ! That is why he always wears a brace with 8 flintlocks .

The son of a wealthy English merchant that became "stranded" in Denmark during the English Civil War between 1642-48 . Striker's mother is from a minor noblehouse and got married for the money.

Nathan's father settled down in Denmark where his business grew.

Nathan was sent to the Caribbean Isle of Skt. Thomas by his father to establish another growing market for the family business.

During the voyage they were attacked by a pirate Spanish Galleon , named La Maligna .

Striker and his men managed to defeat the attackers , though with the loss of their own ship and goods .

The inventory of La Maligna was full of doublons and other booty . Striker could not see himself returning to his father with the shame of losing the ship and goods .

And with a little persuation , gold and rum dreams , the men followed him into pirating Spanish pirates with La Maligna as the new ship. Kept the name of the ship to strike fear in to the Spaniards

Recently found out that the killer of his English grand cousin , Louisa , was on his way to Port Royal .

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !

LADY TESS ST. CLAIRE

aka (Tess)

Physical Description: Tall and elegant figure, small frame 5’6”, yet has a slender build. She is in her mid-twenties. Her hair color is flaxen blonde. Her eyes are gray/blue. She has a noble look about herself, worthy of the courts of England. She as a very unique rose color birthmark upon her right shoulder in the shape of a star.

Occupation: Lady and Daughter of Lord Robert St. Claire, Northumberland.

Disposition: Though lovely to look at, she holds herself as being aloof and standoffish to those who try to get too close. She is very protective of herself within her own world, and rightly so. She was painfully rejected by a suitor when she was 20 years old. Now those who try to win her favor and her hand are more likely to get some reluctance in trying to court her. She is very cleaver and has a good head for numbers, she speaks French, Italian, Spanish and Dutch.

Background: Born into wealth, but not happiness. Her mother parishes in giving birth to her. Her father doted on her though. He spared no expense on her. He paid for the best education, the best tutors, and the best instructors. She enjoys her station in life, and does make time for outside involvement with the Church of England. Yet, she bores easily, giving into temptations that she should not mingle with, It is said that she mingles with the lower class for carnal lusts and sins. She is very cleaver, quick-witted and known for her prowess in gambling (she love a good card game). She has come to Port Royal not only in search of her ‘cousin’ Reginald Killingsworth, but also requested by her friend, Lord Robert Darnly to ‘advise’ Killingsworth of his work there. Tess must find Killingsworth and deliver a message from Lord Darnly before he leaves Port Royal. She also has private investments on the sugar cane plantations there along with new trade to the Colonies.

Full Name: Jack Roberts

Nick Name: "Freebooter" Jack

I'm not sure were I was born. I would assume Port Royal, that is as early as I can remember. A kind sailor, Ritter, took pity on me after I stole his purse. He brought me on board and has been like a father to me.

We were working on a merchant ship at the time. Some time had passed, and the crew decided to munity. I myself being young followed along. We were successful and we went "on the account". My friend Ritter taught me everything. With the help of the crew onaboard, he showed me the ways of a blade and pistol. Soon I was fighting along side my crew.

Now we are here at Port Royal. Offloading are loot and such. I'm grow tired of this ship and enjoying being on land for awhile.

Supporting crew:

Ritter; Like a father to my character. Taught me everything. A hardened sailor and pyrate.

LORD ROBERT BARTHOLOMEW DARNLY

aka (Darnly)

Physical Description: Well into his years, (middle 50s) he stands about 5’8’. Hair color (shortened hair – though known to show signs of grey) Taken to wearing a wig, Dark brown eyes, and due to his rich lifestyle, he his overweight for his age.

Occupation: Lord of Balleybytheway in Northumberland, member of the House of Lords and Parliament.

Disposition: Those who know him; fear him. His manipulation of other men and power has gotten him where he is today. He has only befriended a few members of the House of Lords and Parliament. One such person was Lord William Sterling. Yet, the relationship was strained when Lord William cut ties with Darnly after a ‘personnel indiscretion’ with a lady friend they both admired. He has a temper and can be very hostile to those around him. He, like those of his kind, are known to be cruel and show malice whenever possible.

Background: His bloodline is pure blue-bloods though out history. Even during the Reformation, his family did not experience the ill-fate of most of their other ‘cousins’. He grew up in the courts of England and France. Born in London, he is the first child of Lord Charles Darnly. His farther died in the war when Cromwell took to the ‘throne’. He is very possessive by nature. He fell for Mistress Lilly McKinney whilst watching her first performance in the Royal Theater. Since then, he has had complete control over her and her life…or so he thought. Now he has instructed his right-hand man, Reginald Killingsworth to fetch Mistress Lilly back from Port Royal and bring her home. He wishes to claim her as his wife.

Ian covered it close enough. but fur th part that we was jumped while leavin our favourite pub. Near split our skulls they did. Next thing we're in that ship and what me brudder says happens. This was up Rossnowlagh way, tween Ballyshannon an Donegal. Ian says we're hooligans. . . . . That's what th english bastards call us. We're good to our own, treat us right an we'll be good to you too. Right brudder Finn?

Titim gan éirí ort.

Go mbeire an diabhal leis thú

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

'Tis all true whad 'e says....

Titim gan éirí ort.

There are many forms of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the boundaries into true corruption, into our domain.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. James 5:1-3

**En Deux Parts** ;)

Le Cour Des Grand Corbeau (The Court of Ravens)

'It was whispered that they came from northern regions of Navarre, a theory that was spoken in hush and never pried into deeply. Some things were best left undisturbed, somethings were best accepted with cautious realization and the three in question fell under such catagorizations. Those that had any dealings with them were wise to keep what was preceived to themselves.

Port Royal was no different in certain flavorings than any other area of commerce. No barriers of distinction lay betwixt said port of call or the likes of Portsmouth or Marseilles when the exchange of favors for coin were in the dealings. Commodities were commodities, whether by legal or more nefarious means...Be they sugar, silk or information and influence, all are the same no matter their pin point on the map. All could be obtained...for a price.'

Andre' Phillipe Devareaux:

Thirty years of age and eldest of the siblings. Five foot six; stout build but not overweight just broad like a bull. Black hair cropped at shoulder legnth, eyes so dark in brown color that they almost seem black. Negotiates with finite deduction, always with clauses to ensure the upper hand. Moves in a slow calculatted manner, but should never be under estimated by what is shown. Has no respect for the "outsiders" he deals with, but puts on a good show of contradiction to true thinking. Keeps to the doctrines set by heritage bindings and is generally displeased with the drifting ways of younger siblings.

Sabastian Alexandre' Devareaux:

Twenty Four years of age; lithe build; five foot seven in heigth. Wolfish good looks; deep warm brown hued eyes of expressive qualities and hair of dark mink coloration below shoulder legnth. Mischievous and smug, 'Bastian is the polar opposit of elder brother. Very cunning and good natured, he has acclimated well to new surroundings and although the Romani culture dictates a love for life, he tends to take that to extremes; giving into more French influences. Unlike elder brother, his memories of the treatment suffered at the hands of others has left a mark on his ways of heritage and though his proud of being Rom, Sabastian drifts into the "Gadje" world and relishes its' fare.

Aurore Camille Devareaux:

Twenty years of age; five foot five in heigth and could almost pass as a twin to Sabastian though there is a four year difference betwixt them. Delicate aquiline features, large expressive dark olive eyes; reddish brown hair that falls to the small of her back in loose ringlets. Reffered to as "Renard", (Fox), as a pet name by Sabastian, a nod to her cunning and hair color. Although not as daring in the disregard of Romani ways, she slips now and again, which is quickly covered by by 'Bastian. She is a visage of temprence and compassion but much like the brother she so resembles, has a rebellious and defient streak when pushed too hard.

Christophe Tristan Lambert:

Twenty Five years of age; Five foot nine and slender of build. Dark brown hair just past shoulders generally left unbound; slate gray eyes and swarthy skin tone. Mixed parentage of Basque and French, his mother a common villager from the Pyrenees region; Father from Paris, travelling France as a tutor of Academic pursuites. Generally quiet by nature and very watchful, if roused to speak it is with a undertone of arrogance or wry wit. The scholastic knowledge passed down from his father was the only legacy imparted. Left to his own means of support at a young age in the streets of Paris, Christophe used his skills of soft step and educated mind to advantage as a thief and con.

The Merger:

Christophe joined siblings three after interceding an attempted rape on youngest by another. At the end of struggle, the transgressor lay dead and Thief was slated to hang. The Devareaux brothers managed a coup and stole Frenchman away on his way to the gallows. These actions cumulative have created a strong and fierce bond of loyalty. Joining the Devareaux's, Christophe refined their manner and bearing with the legacy passed down to him. Thus the charade began and has held strong ever since. The four have been in each other's company for seven years, five of it in The Port.

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Andrew March 35 years of age

First Lieutenant of The Archangel

Scottish born. First shipped out at the age of nine and have been makin my living by the sea ever since.

Dark hair, often sporting a full beard. 5'8" tall.

I came aboard The Archangel when I was in my early twenties and have worked my way up through the ranks.

Dependable, skilled in my craft, and fiercly loyal to my captain, I looks after him at all times and cover his left side during battle.

During our travels to Norway, I met and fell in love with my wife Skittles. When we married the Captain gave his permission for her to stay on board ship with me. She serves as the sempstress, laundress and cook to the captain and the other officers. We have a young daughter, who hails by the nickname of Sunfish. The captain has given her the title of "Naturalist" as our small cabin is chocked full of bugs, pressed flowers, and other items that she collects while we are in port.

Thread needed a "bump".

See added copywrite warning to readers on page one. :ph34r:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

• 2 weeks later...

bump

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Bess Hagarty

Physical Description: I’ve been known to turn a head or two. Though, no more than 19 years, and I might not be very tall and thin, but there is something to be said about women who are small and full breasted. My hair is black as pitch and my eyes green.

Occupation: Serving Maid/Bar Maid. I am the niece of a Tavern Owner, Master Hagarty. I work several taverns in the Town of Port Royal

Disposition: Mostly happy-go-lucky as long as me Uncle doesn’t start yelling for me. Though I work from sun up to sun down in the inn serving those who have come from far away places and share their stories of wonderful lands, I wish that I were one of those lucky people who could venture out and explore the world. Instead, my lot in life is servitude to my ungrateful Uncle.

Background: I was born in Port Royal, but my father said that I must earn my keep. I was 12 years old when I came to work for my Uncle. It’s a hard life and there are very little pleasures with it. But there are times I sneak into the tavern at night after I am done with the kitchen work and listen to the wonderful tales the sailors have to tell. The inn has been busy these last few weeks with strangers and tragedy. I have taken to befriend a young man who is staying with a ship’s doctor. He’s been kind to me and I find myself daydreaming about him…quite a lot!

Bessbeingcalledout.jpg

Bess Hagarty - Indentured Servant

bump

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

name: "Bloody"Dan Reid

discription: 5'8" 200lbs grey eyes, red hair, tatoos.

history: Scottish upperclass on the lam for murder of a noble. Served in the military and in the King's navy as a midshipman before jumping ship somewhere in the Carribean. An able swordsman but prefers the brace of pistols he carries across his chest. When the pistols are done tho, he switches to cutlass and bording axe. Someday hopes to captain his own crew and ship. Enjoys the jingle of a guinea so will do most anything to acquire them. Drinks like a fish, fights like a devil and is a most dastardly individual. :ph34r:

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...

Name: Johannes Lauritzsen

Appearence: He is 35 years old and 5,6' tall muscular build and has long dark hair with streaks of grey

in it.

Backround: Lauritzsen was hired as a midshipmen by the elder Striker on the merchant Havheksen .

As the Ship was boarded by the Spaniards the 1st lieutenant was killed he was promoted .

He is loyal towards Captain Striker and admires him for his iron will , what he sets his mind

on he pulls it through. Will go to hell and back for Striker and the crew.

always surrounded by shadows , always in the shadow. A spectre he be !