What Are You Cooking Tonight?

The Doctor

Chicken Pot Pie. Lazy me.

But here's what I cooked yesterday for breakfast:

I first cooked up, then crumbled several Maple-syrup-cured sausages, tossed them back in the skillet with a diced green pepper (fresh out of my garden! The first from a very, very late season of crops), a diced tomato (second harvest of the morning), several eggs and some cheese.

Okay, it's just a bleeding omelet, but MAN, it rocked!

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Well, I did intend to make Pasta with Clam Sauce tonight (very easy, and there's terrific iron content in canned clams, for those of us who are anaemic) ... but instead I think we'll probably just go to Harvey's for a hamburger & fries, on the way to doing our grocery shopping for the weekend.

But speaking of comfort food, today at the local deli I picked up some gourmet goodies for our weekend at the cottage:

Ilchester Beer Cheese (I was once in Ilchester, when we got lost on our way to Bath).

Wild Boar & Apricot pate

Grand Marnier carmelized Poached Pears (still warm from the poaching process).

Chocolate Butter Tarts.

Should be a doozy of a picnic!

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Being lazy tonight, as we're leaving town tomorrow.

Papa Murphy's take-and-bake pizza. But, it is the BEST pizza ever! :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

House Style Chili. My verson is all red beans & chopped tomatoes with some onions, garlic & any red/yellow peppers I have on hand. Served over brown rice. Mostly though I just like the red beans.

Now a shepards pie, that sounds good. I think I'll add that to the grocery list for tomorrow.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Jack, your homemade supper featuring your own garden produce sounds delicious! Exactly right for this cusp of autumn day!

We'll be grabbing a quick bite this evening while packing the car to head up to our cottage, so we're going with frozen Jamaican patties, and salad from a bag.

But speaking of food in season, I was just at the local supermarket picking up a few last minute essentials (okay, maybe smoked salmon doesn't count as an essential, but I also bought bread) ... anyhow, I was shocked to see that, although we haven't even reached the autumn equinox, or Canadian Thanksgiving, let alone "Stir-Up Sunday", there was a new display of Xmas plum puddings for sale! On September 15th!

[Then again, I wasn't too scandalized to pick up a dark fruitcake with marzipan icing from this premature festive display. It will make great trail food for our hike through the autumn foliage in Algonquin Park on Sunday.]

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Let's see, London broil, baked potato, corn on the cob, salad, broccoli, garlic bread, gravy, champagne and I didn't have to lift a finger...ah tis good to be back with friends and family who love me... of course my breeches won't fit tomorrow....**sigh** :lol: :)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

tonight was a true pirates meal.

beer :lol:

tis me own fault for going out before havin supper.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

My Dear Husband is coming home from a week long fishing trip in the 'Great White North'.

I've decided to fix one of his favorties. Roast Beef with oven roasted potatoes, carrots, peas and corn melody, scratch biscuits with a nice red wine to go with….and after the meal, strawberry/rhubarb pie! I’m just happy to have him home!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Rhubarb Pie...Now there is a grand old Northern tradition. They don't know what rhubarb is down here for the most part. ( Kinda like snowmobile.)

Madame, a suggestion from me Irish side. Next time you decide to prepare roast, add a bottle of Guinness to the works. I assure you that the outcome will be most pleasing. ;)

O shoshoy kaste si feri yek khiv sigo athadjol.~Romani Proverb

Celui qui ne sait pas se taire sait rerement bien parler.~Pierre Charron

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

They don't know what rhubarb is down here for the most part. ( Kinda like snowmobile.)

Madame, a suggestion from me Irish side. Next time you decide to prepare roast, add a bottle of Guinness to the works. I assure you that the outcome will be most pleasing. ;)

Oh darn! I used 1/2 cup of red wine to add flavor to the meat instead. I will have to remember that next time...But I rather drink it than use it on the roast! ;)

Member of "The Forsaken"

Well....There is that point to be taken into consideration. ;)

Nevertheless, Guinney as a gravy I know has to be outlawed in at least six countries. ;);) Sinfull I tell you, the secret definately lies in the sauce. Use the same in beef stew and you shall see what I mean. ;)

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

of course my breeches won't fit tomorrow

Oh, isn't that too true!

After a month of sitting on my deck overlookin' the bay, eating butter tarts and drinking fruit juice-based rum cocktails, I found that my favourite hiking pants were a bit too snug for even a brisk walk.

So, from now until the end of October, I've vowed to eat nothing but fruit and fish! (Well, mostly ... that vow be more like a "guideline", if you get my meaning.)

Anyhow, since Aurore is championing her favourite gravy liquor, I must mention mine -- port! It's lovely to cook a pot-roast of beef in (with bay leaves and onions). And it is absolutely wondrous as the cooking liquid for rabbit (with rosemary and/or thyme, onions, and prunes or black mission figs for a Renaissance flare).

Indeed, I used port as the marinade for some sirloin steaks that I barbecued this summer. I mixed about a 1/2 cup of port with 1 Tb. blackstrap molasses and 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. The steaks didn't get quite as much time to marinate as I'd hoped, but were lusciously moist and tender anyway.

And back to the topic of this thread, I have no idea what's for supper tonight. Having just returned from another weekend away, the larder is bare. Guess I need to take a hike to the local fish shop and see what's fresh today!

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Tonight, I made:

Salmon "burger": baked fillet of wild Pacific salmon, on a warm Challah bun, garnished with Stilton cheese, fresh tomato slices, BBQ sauce, and tangy dill relish.

Homemade oven-baked potato wedges

And for dessert later, there's late-crop local strawberries

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

This night is a variation of Shep's Pie....

A layer of garlic mashed potatoes, smothered in a white creme sauce containing onion, carrots, peas, mushrooms and turkey diced. Overwhich is a layer of stuffing. :lol:

:lol::D

Illegal in at least four states.... ;)

The only thing it lacks is a wee drop or three of sherry.

I attempted to make something for a sweet after dinner...but ended up making some sort of pudding thing instead....I was trying for a mouse...Sad looking thing really...but it is chocolate...and I can't say no to chocolate in any form! It still tasted good.

Member of "The Forsaken"

As long as it was pleasing to the palet.... :lol:

I shall be sure to send any chocolate your way at upcoming event. I have never been one to fall to that Siren's call...For me it has always been meats, cheeses and breads.