Ship's log

Cap'n Pete Straw

My pen is mightier than your sword. No, seriously -- I have it crammed down the barrel of my flintlock backed by 70 grains of black powder.

I have no doubt yours may be better, becasue I am rushing through mine... I could do so much better. My only claim to fame may be infecting you all with this contagoin.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to all of you duelists on your books. I hope some of you show up at the Port Washington Pirate Festival next summer In Wisconsin so I can seek you out and see your work. Sounds like a fine thing to be undertaking.

Oi -- Crowsnest Kate...

Were you at Port Washington '06? Get yer buns over to the RAIDS section, and look up the thread "Pirate Festival! Port Washington, Wisconsin" (I just renewed it, so it will be easier to find) and post something there. Hell, yeah, I will be at PW07. Several pages of my aforementioned journal chronicle my adventrues at PW06.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I've been messing around with how I want the illistrations.... I'll sketch them first in brown ink, and then detail/highlight them with black ink... So far the few sketchs that I've played with come out realy good....

My new pen should be here hopefully on Friday, so I will have to play with it a bit... but it should have a flexable , fine nib for the style of writting that I want...

Going to look for some better capital letters ... I'm not too happy with the ones used in Copperplate/Spencurian, so I will go through a buncha my books and see if I can find something I like better....

Hey... my penmanship is improving with all the writting I've been doing for practice...... :lol:

I was looking how the "y" was used for "Th". and in an example I found, he spelled it out without using the "Y"... I think that may be the way I do it...... ye just dosen't look right....

I do like the elongated "S" and the reversed drop on the "Ds" tho.........

Very nice work, Patrick. :ph34r:

(Note to self: Need more practice!)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Aaaaargh... got me new pen today.... and it be better than expected.... will post more when ....

!. I'm kinda sober.....

so

2. I can write something...... with it... well other than the "test" and playing with it kinda ramblings......

Happy happy ... joy... joy..... oops.... AArrrrgh...... B)

very nice Mr. Hand. Can't wait to see how it comes out all put together.

I too am going to need a significant amount of practice to do any handwritting. I'm putting something like this on my "someday" list to be certain.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

aye... capt. straw has started an infection....

he got me doin' a journal as well.

if ye read the first entries in this topic,

i was drawn into it i tells ye.

good man, that capt, full of huff and able to lead a crew....

i was suppose to go to cutlasses the other day,

but i sent me oponent a fancy cursive note sayin'

i was busy writin' in me journal!!!

he showed up ready to dual and after seeing what i was doing

asked me where i bought me pen and paper....

and if i'd mind if he made one.... hell......

dates, places, names, where i started in pyracy,

what i've bought or borrowed....

okay, gots to go load me ink pen.... :P

...up close and personal means one of two things:

You are either waking up with me in the morn or I am the last face you will ever see...</span>

I started actullly writting it tonight.... unfortunatly, the pages in the book handled ink differently than the paper I practiced on, and my pen started to run out of ink... and it's the last of that bottle..... and....

Awh heck... if I didn't start writting something, I'd never get it done....... :lol:

PyrateJournal.jpg

WOW Patrick! Impressive! You have really done yer homework. I love it! :lol:B) Damn when is my pen going to arrive?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

That's awesome, Patrick. :blink::blink:

I went back through the thread, but couldn't find where you said what kind of pen you are using - unless I just missed it. So, what kind is it?

BTW loved the ink drawing of the skull. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

couldn't find where you said what kind of pen you are using

I bought a vintage 1940's German pen with a fine flexable nib....(for $25.00)

I wish the nib was a little finer and more flexable... but it works......

Thanks. You sure do a nice job with it.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sooo? so? pictures? progress?

• 4 weeks later...

Considering the price of the Amalfi paper (Which is just too beautiful to pass up) at $10 a sheet, I was looking for a place in NY *land of everything* to beat the $10 shipping. I came across an aged leather journal filled with 80 (count em!) pages of authentic Amalfi paper for about $140 - $180- considering all, I think it's a much better deal and like with your kit , beter to spend for the goode stuff

"This Handmade Italian Distressed Leather Journal is filled with Handmade Paper from the Amalfi Coast."

Journal shopping

Hey Patrick any pics of your writings from PIP?

I just bought one ot those standard black covered sketchbooks (about $14.00) the paper only very slightly bleeds, so I figure it's no problem....

I have almost all of the "How to make a Pyrate Shirt" done, and did two sketches at PiP.... unfortunatly, I ran out of brown ink, and placed an order for some.... I tool the journal with me, and did some writting in the airport, and on the plaine... Had a couple people check out my writting....

I was looking for a place in NY *land of everything*

There is supose to be a really good pen store in NY city... It's one of those places that people on the Fountain Pen Forum type about....

The Fountain Pen Forum is....

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

They talk about different brands of pens, ink, and paper....

Thanks for the links, Patrick and Red Cat. Southern Oregon tends to be the "land that time forgot" so finding this kind of stuff can be hard.

Can't wait to see your pictures, Patrick. ;)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Southern Oregon tends to be the "land that time forgot"

Sounds like the Sierra Nevada Mountains..... I went looking for fountain pen ink...... without listing all the towns in Calaveras County (skulls in Spanish... kinda cool isn't it... :lol: ) anyway..... I have come to the conclusion the reason people don't use fountain pens anymore.... is you can't buy the ink....