Ship's log

Cap'n Pete Straw

Rats:

If you are going to do this, you MUST include sketches of medical observations (gaping wounds, etc.). You may wish to copy some grisly stuff from a copy of Gray's Anatomy.

Pete

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Capt. is full of ideas!!!

-imagine "gaping wounds"?

[med journal: "after the plunder we had to cut ol' charlie's leg off below the knee..." then a drawing... "we used blah-blah medicine and..."]

okay, so i'm not right in me head....

but who cares , i am a pyrate!

ok... w-i-c-c-a supplies...

...up close and personal means one of two things:

You are either waking up with me in the morn or I am the last face you will ever see...</span>

Okay, okay... you can hold me to this:

When I get finished with my current "Log" project (one at a time, please), remind me, and I will create a fun-filled page of amputation notes, along with a "visual aid" sketch, photograph it, and post it in here. As I said (here? elsewhere?) I have been collecting Civil War medical stuff for years, and have already put a lot of thought into this stuff.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I've kept art journals periodically, and loved it. I have two books on journal making that may help with ideas and technics.They would give you lots of ideas on the best inks, paints, type of paper, glue, etc.

Making Journals by Hand by Jason Thompson

The Decorated Page—Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful by Gwen Diehn

Because I use paint, I tend to do the artwork, writing, etc on a seperate piece of paper, then glue it into the journal and blend the edges. That way, if you screw up a page, it's not already in the journal. I also use black-covered art sketch books for my journals. They're ring bound, but I like the idea that they will lay flat, and the paper is heavier than regualr journals. The covers are easily covered with just about anything, to make them look old—I've used strips of crinkled and scuffed brown paper bags, and it ends up looking like aged skin!

Anyway, can't wait to see some pages posted.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

False Ransom -- what you are describing sounds like what I call "scrapbooking" (or what is commonly considered the more modern hobby of scrapbooking).

I do a lot of this, too, for various projects. And yes - it has decided advantages when trying to deal with a mistake (especially in unforgiving ink).

First draft, second draft, third draft... THEN write it. And I have the bad habit of writing as fast as I can, and it keeps turning out sloppy. Maybe my final finished product will only be a draft for the NEXT draft....

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

False Ransom -- what you are describing sounds like what I call "scrapbooking" (or what is commonly considered the more modern hobby of scrapbooking).

I do a lot of this, too, for various projects. And yes - it has decided advantages when trying to deal with a mistake (especially in unforgiving ink).

First draft, second draft, third draft... THEN write it. And I have the bad habit of writing as fast as I can, and it keeps turning out sloppy. Maybe my final finished product will only be a draft for the NEXT draft....

Guess I should have added that these were not for cutsey-ootsy scrapbooks/photo albums. I am not into that at all.

Actually, I hadn't looked at the books in a while, pulled them out to post the titles, and got all inspired again. Add that to all the above enthusiasm, and I'm re-hooked! :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Guess I should have added that these were not for cutsey-ootsy scrapbooks/photo albums. I am not into that at all.

I hope I did not imply that. The "modern" hobby of scrapbooking involves some really impressive sophisticated artsy stuff, exactly along the lines you described. I have only recently (past two years) understood that some of what I have been doing (not layout... not collage... it really defies most categories) most accurately falls under the broad umbrella of this term.

No, not the cutesy-ootsy stuff. I know full well what you mean by that.

Actually, I hadn't looked at the books in a while, pulled them out to post the titles, and got all inspired again. Add that to all the above enthusiasm, and I'm re-hooked!

Another victim! Hah!

Grisly Wounds!? Sounds like a metal band

Sounds more like a common malady treatd at the Yellowston National Park First Aid station

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Okay, I am really re-hooked now. Spent four days on our boat, and started a log/journal, written in a small, cheap ringbound book. After a few more stays, I will bring home said book, correct and rewrite it to sound more in period, then start the "for real" ship's log/journal, taking the cheapy one back to the boat for the next installment.

It's fun trying to put period wordage into modern situations. Our boat has canvas covers, but rather than say "We pulled off the canvas covers." I wrote "Reefed canvas." When we put it all back on, I log in "Set canvas." Thought this was sort of ironic, as it is backwards to the sequence a real sailing ship would use. Oh well.

BTW, one of the books I mentioned had a technique for putting color wash on one page of your journal and then closing the pages so you get a double stain. I thought it would work admirable for Rats and his doctors journal. He could use a nice reddish brown and it would look like his journal accidentaly fell on the floor while he was working. Perhaps some poor mate thrashing around while losing a leg knocked it down? ;)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

arh!!! capt. straw you truly started a movement says i !!!

i meself still be looking for a decent journal type book,

but i've been keeping notes for future entries.

it seems that we may all have to share the viewing of our books someday....

this has really taken many of us on a new venture....

yes, the sweet life....

...a pyrates life for me!!! :ph34r:

...up close and personal means one of two things:

You are either waking up with me in the morn or I am the last face you will ever see...</span>

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to indulge myself here...

I needed to renew this thread so it doesn't slip too far into the bilge. I have some photos coming .... I hope to get even betters ones before long.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Oh, goodie, pictures!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Would luv to see those pics!

Would you be so eager if you were to learn that you were in one of those shots? Hmmm?

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If ye have th inclination and th kind o tyme, I've plundered the internet and found info on pens and learning the proper writing style for th period. I plan on adding it here and there in me journal if not for every part of it.

Amazon has several step by step books on th subject as well.

Copperplate script - NOT th Microsoft font

;)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Drat..... after looking for about an hour, the link above, and discovering that there is a fountain Pen Forum..... nothing else except people that will sell you something.........

Maybe I'll try looking again some other night...... Or just not be soo cheap, and just buy one of the books on how to write it....... :lol:

I was just looking for a good example of the capital letters with flourishes.... I can do the lower case letters.... but some examples would have helped also.....

Oh well.... I'll keep working on it.....

Ahh piratess of the web strikes again ~It's a habit~ :P

Patrick , here is a wealth of just such books!

Ranging from $8 to $60

I'm looking into buying one meself. If anyone else is, perhaps we can trade back and forth by mail when done?

Also here is a link to the leatherbound blank journals at Borders

Smythe blank Journals

Oooh much less expensive than I thought it would be! I love the paper. The guy who makes it by hand was featured on

"Passport To Europe - The Amalfi Coast" on the travel channel last month.

It looks like this company is in CA so maybe the shipping is less.

I would hold out for this it's soooo nice..hey Christmas and Chanukah are coming.... :huh::huh:

:rolleyes: Wenches an rum like yer flag says!! :lol::huh:

Dang you Capt. Pete Straw......

I was havin' a good tyme just doin' me pyrate stuff..... posted some stuff here.... but just artsy sujjestion kinda stuff....

Now ye got me wantin' ter be writtin' me own Pyrate journal....

ou

Dang.... ordered a vintage pen so I can do me letterin' right an' proper like.....

Dang you.... you shoulda told us it were contagious.......... :lol:

Just ter fix yer boat..... mine is going ter be sooo much better than yours....(an' I'l be posin't some pictures just ter prove it ter ye.......) :huh:

:rolleyes: Dualing journalists! Pens at twenty paces? This I gotta see.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg