Sea Songs

hurricane

If you have iTunes you can get two collections of great sea songs - they are by Pierce Campbell - simply enter his name in the search engine on iTunes.

I got Songs of the Sea and Songs of the Drink and they are terrific. Great versions of some traditional tunes and some originals. Good stuff!

Great version of Haul Away Joe and A Pint or So is hilarious.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 1 month later...

thank you so much for the information. I'm a novice pirate and have only attended a few pirate-y shows (is adding a "y" like that to pirate a bastardization o' the word?) Looking forward ta that on me iPod soon.

Imagine a pirate in one of those silhouette iPod commercials. I could laugh at that for ages.

I've found that doing a search on the word "Shanties" in iTunes yields a treasure in great ol' songs to learn and sing with me mates, the best of which is (in this ol' pyrate's opineen) Foc'sle Singers & Paul Clayton's "Foc'sle Songs and Shanties." This recording was apparently made back in the '50's, and is of very high quality and sounds as authentic as I could imagine.

Another great collection is "Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys" with artists like Bono, Bryan Ferry, John C. Reilly, Lou Reed, Rufus Wairight, Sting, Stand Ridgway, Nick Cave (and more) singing old sailing shanteys.

B)