Does anyone know how to shine up Sacajawea dollars

I love them little gold coins. They're glint makes me want to stack them in piles and count them over and over and over again. Then I want to form a big pile and just roll around in them, sprinkling little sacajaweas over me body.

but they've been getting dull.

does anybody know how to put the glint back in a gold dollar?

Dip 'em in gold? I'm afraid the goldtone on them isn't tarnish, Bart. It wears off with exposure to your hands. There is actually no gold in the coins. Gold doesn't tarnish. The composition of the Sacagewea dollar is:

88.5% copper

6.0% zinc

3.5% manganese

2% nickel

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Toothpaste is the answer to all. :blink:

Toothpaste is one of the best metal polishes I've ever used, except for cleaning copper-bottomed cookware. For that, I use salt and lemon juice. :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

The coins are brass. Brass tarnishes (oxidizes) in contact with human skin.

The answer is simplicity itself: Brasso. It's available in hardware, grocery and convenience stores everywhere. Apply a little, rub in with a cloth or paper towel, then wipe it off. Just like new.

Brasso is a bit nasty on your hands, however, so you will want to use gloves or at least wash them thoroughly when you are done.

Alternative: A pencil eraser. Rub it on the coin, and it remove the tarnish. However, that is because it is slightly abrasive (ultimately not good for the coin, but the adverse effects are minimal), and the excessive rubbing involved really only works for one or two coins. For more, I recommend Brasso. It works great, especially since that's what it was made to do: shine brass.

Toothpaste works the same way: because it is abrasive.

I take a pouch of 20 to 40 dollar coins with me to every Pirate event (Civil War reenactments, too). They make great-looking "doubloons" (or CW $20 gold pieces), and you can actually purchase stuff with them. I try to shine them up all nice and purdy like before each event.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

@Kass

so's how do we get the glint back in:

88.5% copper

6.0% zinc

3.5% manganese

2% nickel

is what I'm after...

maybe I won't be trying that sacajawea style rum and coke after all

The Mint website says that the parts of the coin exposed to frequent handling will brighten from abrasion. So an abrasive is called for. Toothpaste is a good one. Brasso is probably better. A polish with a jeweler's cloth would do it too.

I wish I had the time to clean my money... :blink:B)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Toothpaste is one of the best metal polishes I've ever used, except for cleaning copper-bottomed cookware.  For that, I use salt and lemon juice.  :)

You can always spot a cook...

And since Sacagawea Dollars are 88.5% copper...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I thought money laundering was illegal.

Uh.... pirate.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Windex is great for gems too. Pour a little windex in a Dixie cup or some small container and let the rings or earring soak in it. It apparently cuts the grease that comes from contact with your body and they come out of the cup shining and sparkling! B)