Cutlass Question

Rateye

Fifty seems a fair enough price. But, if you desire something that looks as though just burgled from private collection, I might suggest laying your hands on one such as I have. It is a replica of a French Marin Cutlass. The cup is blacked and not all that shiny dressage. The blade is mottled bluing, has the blood groove as well as the forging stamps engraved down the top blunt. ( In french, of course.) It resembles the real deal. ( Check my last photo in the "Garb" thread and you can lay an eye on it. Came with the sheath and has the "hanger" loop on the back. I can track one down for you if that is what you have in mind. ( And you won't have to weather it.)

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Does it have a reinforcement on the basket?

Possibly it's the same MFG? Since I've been seeing the same blade(As I posted) ranging from $135.00 at the faire to the price I posted.

I'm looking for some samples that could be purchased at a low price and weathered for the crew to use or display.

Seeing that it's blackened, is the blade also dark? And is it a finish or a paint that could be loosened or weathered?

How about soe pics of the blade? Closeups?

Rats

The blade in question was a gift, though I have seen similar at a stone throw over 100. This resembles a true museum piece, not a Dandy bit. The blade is not polished, which is the common. It is a mottled bluing that you would expect from a piece of the time. I shall try to get shots of it, as per you reguest, in the next couple of days and forward to you.

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Yes Lady, I would like to see those as well....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Ask and so shall you receive. ;);)

Saw this on the web and was wondering if it was too late and more 1860s

http://www.strongblade.com/prod/sbx-sscutlass.html

The price isn't bad and it isn't the black with wire 1860 model?

Just wondering since the price is right!

Plus I wouldn't mind working or weathering the handle

What do you think?

Rats

It's a piece of crap. Hey, you asked.

:)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Saw this on the web and was wondering if it was too late and more 1860s

http://www.strongblade.com/prod/sbx-sscutlass.html

The price isn't bad and it isn't the black with wire 1860 model?

Just wondering since the price is right!

Plus I wouldn't mind working or weathering the handle

What do you think?

Rats

It's a piece of crap. Hey, you asked.

:)

I agree. It will never pass for combat and as far as a "costume" sword you can find somehing much nicer for a similar price.

Billy Flynt

Blackbeard's Crew

Master of Events

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. " - Mark Twain

Exactly the reason I had to ask...!

Let's face it, I was sure there are folks that either have it or have seen it and passed on it.

Thanks again for the straight answers.

Any suggestions in the meanwhile?

Rats

The guy at Baltimore Knife and Sword tells me he is more than happy to make an authentic cutlass for someone who is willing to spend the money. Most of his stuff is geared toward the fantasy crowd, but his first love, he said, will always be historical weapons.

http://www.baltimoreknife.com/

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Okay gents... know someone who made blades for Rev War about twenty years ago... now he wants to get back into it as a business... a stickler for historical accuracy and detail... NOW the thing is... making one sword at a time, means BIG bucks... now if there were a certain style that was very common that would be carried by a number of folks that reduces the cost per sword...Ie lots of ten swords cost less per sword then a one of a kind.... question is... what would you all think would be the sword you want... these would be battle ready repros, not something you could switch for a fencing style blade...

He wants to know what you would want, instead of him just picking out something on his own.... Thanks for any feedback.

Hector

PS... historical question...in most cases, say on a privateer ship, would individuals be responsible for their weapons or could a ship's investors say by swords by the dozens and supply their ships? so that one crew might actually have the same style??

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I've got a couple of pieces from Baltimore Knife and Sword myself, and couldn't be happier with them. A bit pricey, perhaps -- at least on my current budget -- but well worth it. They were approximately $250 each, but I did buy them from an independent dealer, rather than directly from BKS. The advantage there being that I could get them in my hand before signing over a good chunk of money.

They might only be borderline "cutlasses," more along the lines of light footmen's sabers, but...

I've posted this pic on another thread, but I wouldn't know where to find it again, so here you go:

swords.jpg

sig2.jpg

PS... historical question...in most cases, say on a privateer ship, would individuals be responsible for their weapons or could a ship's investors say by swords by the dozens and supply their ships?  so that one crew might actually have the same style??

There is another thread about where pyrates stowed their weapons in which we touch on this. Short answer is that it is generally thought that pyrates were in charge of their own weapons and therefore had either what they wanted and could purchase or whatever they could get during a raid. If the target was a military ship, the armaments taken would likely be all the same. Then the next time the target could be a ship loaded with trade goods including swords, perhaps some intended for the upper crust. This is, of course, speculative. The question is best answered by examining those swords found on extant wrecks and in inventories. And over to Captain Twill we go...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

PS... historical question...in most cases, say on a privateer ship, would individuals be responsible for their weapons or could a ship's investors say by swords by the dozens and supply their ships?  so that one crew might actually have the same style??

There is another thread about where pyrates stowed their weapons in which we touch on this. Short answer is that it is generally thought that pyrates were in charge of their own weapons and therefore had either what they wanted and could purchase or whatever they could get during a raid. If the target was a military ship, the armaments taken would likely be all the same. Then the next time the target could be a ship loaded with trade goods including swords, perhaps some intended for the upper crust. This is, of course, speculative. The question is best answered by examining those swords found on extant wrecks and in inventories. And over to Captain Twill we go...

Thanks over to TWill

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 weeks later...

Best bet if your looking for authentic blades to be made for you is to own a copy of Swords and Blades of the American Revolution. If the maker doesnt own this ( a US maker of course) then he most likely cant really help you....

I am considering making a shorter/fatter cutlass blade rather then our current offerings. Basicly the shapes we are producing (28" blade length) is really geared toward stage combat as it gives a quicker blade that keeps combatants slightly father apart.

I love input! As we mostly wholesale now , we have little input from our final buyer. Most of our dealers do not mark up our prices extra. cutlass/sabers run from $250 and up depending on style and work involved.

thanks for the kind words!

I love input! As we mostly wholesale now , we have little input from our final buyer. Most of our dealers do not mark up our prices extra. cutlass/sabers run from $250 and up depending on style and work involved.

thank for the kind words!

Kerry Stagmer

www.baltimoreknife.com

www.fireandbrimstone.com

I got to visit Baltimore Knife & Sword about six months ago and I'd never been to a sword crafter before and was very impressed with their operation, quality, and customer care. Plus they're just good people and down-to-earth.

If you've not read the article about them in the "other" piratical publication :lol: you should.

If they weren't already married to the "other" piratical publication, I would have featured them in The Pyrates Way.

I give credit where it's due, PM did a good job on the article and Baltimore Knife & Sword rock.

• 1 year later...