Able Bodied Seamen, Ahoy!

the Royaliste

Ahoy! As we head east and south, we've been seekin' out experienced riggers, sailors, topmen, for the next couple 'o legs. NY state canal system, Lake Champlain, and the ICW south....We have to step and unstep the entire rig many times,so...besides the living historian approach, if you are experienced, or able to comprehend serious rigging challenges along with mind-numbing bull-work, then give a shout, eh? Currently seeking two .

B)

Too bad they need experience. I would really like to learn how to sail a tall ship. I could even take the vacation for it. I don't know if my wife would like it but I don't care today.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Ah, the dream! I really wished I knew how you all do it. I always figure you are all very wealthy or you have the ability to take very long vacations. I am envious! Beautiful ship by the way...okay, back to dreaming...

As someone who "does it", it mainly takes the willingness to completely drop your shoreside lifestyle. You *can* do it, and you *can* get paid for it. Not much, but enough. That's another thing... you've got to be willing to live "differently" than you're used to.

Aye, a bit 'o wot D.P. said, alright..As far as 'rich', yeh, right!!...The crew 'o this ship basically lives by their wits, our appearances, and my around a thousand a month disability check!...We have to survive aboard, or else!..This vessel, as opposed to large, foundation owned rigs, functions on modern applications of pirate history, among others....

B)

Well Captain, if I could find a way to come help the with the old RR ya know I would.

There's gonna be somebody out that way with salt water in their blood, gunpowder in their grog and the need to put their nose to the wind.

Aye! D.P.'s got the right of it. And I think everyone should try it at least once, ya won't know if it's in ya until ya try.

:(

• 2 weeks later...
Ahoy! As we head east and south, we've been seekin' out experienced riggers, sailors, topmen, for the next couple 'o legs. NY state canal system, Lake Champlain, and the ICW south....We have to step and unstep the entire rig many times,so...besides the living historian approach, if you are experienced, or able to comprehend serious rigging challenges along with mind-numbing bull-work, then give a shout, eh? Currently seeking two .

B)

Captain

Whilst you're in the Maryland area you might want to contact Zorg. He's been hard at work building his own sloop and learning blacksmithing. Hear tell he's smithing at some living history place.

Hope everything is going OK with you and the crew.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Thanks, Maria!....It'll be another month or so 'afore we hit the Chesapeake, but I'll give a shout for sure when we're closer....At present, we're at the confluence of the Erie and Champlain canals on the Hudson. We've made safe harbor for now; not much time in our schedule, but the weather is supposed to turn ugly with the rains from Ernesto today, so.....we jury rigged the ship's cover over the masts laying on deck to give us a little respite.....

:(

To the captain of the Royaliste: By the next time you all are in my neck of the woods I should be capable of helping you. I am joining the Coast Guard Auxilary and through them I hope to get some important training. Does that sound OK?

Ahoy! We're presently on Lake Champlain; reliving the Battle of Plattsburgh today and tomorrow. Monday we will be participating in a memorial on Crab Island, which served as an infirmary for both sides during the bloody conflict. Next week, the Festival of Nations at Crown PointThen down the Hudson, and off to Oyster Bay, NY for the Oyster Festival Oct. 14-15. So, Blackjohn; we should be around Norfolk or so participating in the Tallship Challenge '07...JUst fire off an email; we're quick on the keyboard too!...Johnny, that sounds great, altho from the former CG crew we've had, about the only relevant stuff that will help from that source is that the water is wet, and deep. We also just posted a position on ASTA's Billet Bank....

:rolleyes:

Well I am bound and determaned to learn how to sail a tall ship. So much so that I am starting by building a 14' sail boat. So I have to start some where and there is just not alot of tall ships out there to learn on.

Well, me bucko, without soundin' harsh, the only way to learn to sail a Tallship is to 'sail a Tallship'...nothing else really compares, as you may learn to trim a sheet or something similar, but the concept will be different on a belayin' pin! Modern boats sail with things that make it easy to defy the weather; winches, cockpits, bimini's....not so on a square-rigger, mate!!....You really should just sail on a Tallship to start with., ASTA has many vessels that will allow you either by pay or volunteerism, to sail.. Being the only full time pirate ship on the roster, we are no exception, just a wee bit pickier...we take trainees and volunteers, the trainee's generally being college level, and volunteers generally being 'adults'....So, why wait?..you seem to have some 'pirate' skills; fiddlin', dressin', etc....

:blink:

A new development, maytees!...We're now also lookin' for a pirate or two to help work the ship, apply tat's (temporary, 'o course!), and general skullduggery and swordfightin' in Oyster Bay, NY mid- October. This ain't a payin' gig, it be benefittin' charities, but if hangin' with a pile 'o scallywags, havin' fun, and mebbee scorin' some tips is up your alley, give me an email, as we don't hit the forum as much at sea. We're headed to Vergennes, Vt tomorrow to see where a lot of boatbuildin' happened during three wars on this Lake called Champlain....Aye!

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

YAAARGH!...'Tis time we weighed anchor,so.....I thought I'd bring this back to the top, as we are getting ready for a ten to fifteen day transit from Hilton Head SC, to our new 'homeport' in Beaufort NC. Best guess is we'll stay 'inside' on the Intercoastal Waterway. Since it's not 'tourist' season, we are undermanned as usual, so.....Join the crew!..If you care to do a few days, or the whole enchilada, if you are experienced and want to sail, or new to piracy and want to learn a few things, give us a shout....even if you can't sail, but want to enjoy the awesome scenery and the adventure of being on a pirate ship seemingly in 'the middle of nowhere', 'c'mon aboard!.....We figure on easing off the bowlines around the 22nd of January, so hurry up and send off a dispatch!....Aye!

;)

ROYALISTE Leavin' Skull Creek to ARRR Rudder, and headin' to the Home 'O BLACKBEARD!!........

New York Piracy in October eh?????

I think the crew will need to be made aware of this one, when you have a set date!

After all, I've always wanted to see the Lady!

Looks like that's right near Amityville on Long Island!

Here's to ya!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Aye, matey, but...The Long Island affair be behind our rudder, It was Oct. 16-17, and now it be January. The good news as far as that particular pirate event is that we be invited back this fall to do it again!...'Tis the bottom 'o the page wot be current,eh wot?....Things are lookin' up for RR transit to Beaufort and the Maritime Museum as Saber, from Tales of the Seven Seas( also a past crewmate exemplary) be aheadin' Arrr way to assist in the fine adventure thru the Carolina Low Country 'n off to new areas to plunder!!...

B)