Answer me this, buffs

DreadMaid

Found this reference googling:

"I have not yet had time to explore the second part of this book, 'Pirates in Action'. I see; however, that the first chapter in that part refers to social banditry in its title. I knew I'd find references to Hobsbawm in here! These chapters take a closer look at what is known about pirate society and examine the lives of those famous women pirates Ann Mills, Mary Reed and Ann Bonny. Guess I'll have to leave Bandits at Sea on the reading table for a while, so I can pick it up again."

In short, it appears the book: C. R. Pennell, editor, Bandits at Sea: A Pirates Reader (New York University Press, 2001) has a reference to Ann Mills

Ropework_Header.jpg

The implication in the "British Frigate" service in 1740 reference, is that rather than being a Pirate, she instead may have served legitimately aboard a British Warship [likely originally as the wife of any of a number of lesser officers], but acted in a direct role during some combat engagement. For other examples on record, consider the wife of one gunner aboard Victory at Trafalgar, who served during that engagement first as Powder Monkey, then as Loblolly Boy... So she _may_ not be a pirate at all ['though I've no information of certainty either way]. You might do best to look up the frigate by name, and see what _she_ and her crew were up to in 1740....

Interesting really... especially since dragoon is a cavalry term... could she have been serving more like a marine?? Perhaps she was "discovered" to be a woman at a later date... say from wound or illness?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Perhaps Ann Mills wasn't a woman at all, but a man with a name that sounds feminine to us nowadays (like "Leslie" and "Shirley" which were both male names as late as the 19th century). I know Ann was certainly in use as a female name in the 16th century if not earlier. But could it be we have a case of "a boy named Sue" here? Just a thought...

I mean, that picture... Those are circa 1740s seaman's clothing and ain't nothing female about the person wearing them! In the pictures of other women passing for men, they show them to be female by exposing breasts or showing their hair down. This one, not so.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

xmuyhl.jpg

You have to admit she looks a little too pleased with herself to be very masculine. What I find to be striking about the picture is her composed, calm, and bland expression./ demeanor. As opposed to your bonny/ Read types. You have to be the ruthless pirate of pirates to so casually behead your victim. :) i susupect her to be a real interesting character, when ever i have found referance to her it has always been as 'famous lady pirate' just like in Morgans prior post. yet there is very little to known about her. I soppose there may be something in what Claico points out too. Thanks again.