Swashbuckler 1976

Hester

Oh, dear, the postman just delivered this DVD that I mistakenly ordered from Amazon. I meant to buy Cutthroat Island, but got distracted by the "others who bought this title also bought..." links.

It stars a highly unattractive Robert Shaw as the main pirate, dressed from head-to-toe in red [add a bit of white fur, and it would be a Santa suit].

The consolation is that Genevieve Bujold is the heroine.

But worst of all -- it's in Widescreen format. Accchh! My TV screen's too small for that nonsense.

Oh, well. I'd best pay closer attention before I click that "buy" button in future.

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Widescreen format should be OK on your little TV. That's the format that fills up the screen. It's Letterbox that looks better on bigger TV's, since it shows the whole screen as it was seen in theaters, so there's usually a band of space at the top and bottom of the screen.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Hey, don't knock The Shaw. Plenty o lasses went head over heels for him in that movie. This was when they had real actors to play pirates and not Slashfic pirates who wear eyeshadow.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Hey, don't knock The Shaw.  Plenty o lasses went head over heels for him in that movie.  This was when they had real actors to play pirates and not Slashfic pirates who wear eyeshadow.

And hey, don't be knocking Captain Jack Sparrow either! Say all you want about him, but he is extremely popular and those movies are a lot of fun!

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Hey, don't knock The Shaw.  Plenty o lasses went head over heels for him in that movie.  This was when they had real actors to play pirates and not Slashfic pirates who wear eyeshadow.

Oh, indeed, John -- I've learned my lesson. Serendipity came up and bit me in the arse, just like Jaws.

But, in my defence, I wasn't picking on Robert Shaw in particular. I made similarly unflattering remarks about Errol Flynn in a different thread (and he was a major heart-throb in his day).

Anyhow, here at the Pub, you never know who's going to be reading your offhand comments about yesteryear's silver screen stars.

Cheers, Hester ... fan of the fey eyeliner-besmudged current fashion of leading men (though I can't quite picture Kris Kristofferson in eyeliner!)

pirate-jenny-text.jpg