Bahamas

Hester

Hi, all:

I'm aware that the Bahamas has a rich history of pirate associations, particularly on the main island of New Providence and its main port of Nassau.

I'm hoping to visit there in the not-to-distant future, and I wonder if anyone can suggest particular sites of interest for pirate enthusiasts.

I understand there's a Pirate Museum in Nassau. Anyone been there? Did you enjoy it?

And where would people suggest to stay if one wanted to be away from the main touristy spots and away from the more modern development in these islands?

Looking forward to hearing about others' pirate-themed vacations in the Bahamas.

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

If you want to stay away from touristy stuff you need to get off the main island, leave Nassau and stay on one of the outer islands. Each island has its own character and its own sights, but by and large people visit the Bahamas to fish or scuba dive. If these aren't your things expect to sit around on the beach a lot and bring some good books. If you're willing to stay in the tourist areas, there are clubs and the omni present Atlantis resort. I would suggest that you tour the forts around Nassau, they're neat. I haven't done the museum, as I'm only ever on the main island for a few hours, but I've heard it was alright. Be nice to your cabbie they are a font of information.

I'm going in Oct via Cruise...The ship will be Nassau one day...I plan on seeing the pirate museum etc. If you don't go before that, I'll let you know what I find when I get back.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Hi, Duchess & Lady Seahawk:

The earliest I could likely go to the Bahamas would be in the spring of 2007. So, any info in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Duchess, you mentioned that the outer islands are much less developed, and that the main activities there are scuba diving and fishing. I'm not a big fishing enthusiast (although my dad is), and I don't know how to scuba dive. However, I love to swim, and I like snorkelling. What are the beaches like? (I'm looking for ones that are deserted) Anywhere I could likely rent a romantic little cabana for two right on the beach?

Is there somewhere in the Bahamas that one could view a shallow-water shipwreck by snorkelling? (Preferably a GAoP era one, if such would still be intact.)

Night-life and clubs don't really interest me -- but some good restaurants serving local seafood would be appreciated. Any recommendations?

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Was there April past and not being one for shopping, I can hardly recommend main street in Nassau... but if you want to make a trip to the Pirate museum it is fun to say the least. Most of the information it passes on to the public is general at most but the scenes they have created to explain the characters and the times are really quite remarkable..even down to some of the buckled shoes. One in particular, a man marooned, is so life like it is amazing... actually took a photo and had it enlarged and the detail is still brilliant to behold. They have a gift shop with a few interesting books, that you can obtain cheaper back home, but anything you were to purchase helps maintain the museum.

As to the Atlantis... if you're into gambling, they've got, if you're into ridiculously over priced shops, they have that as well :ph34r: but their aquarium is worth the trip...so if you like fish....I would recommend that as well...

Now, being the lass that ye be, the jewelry shops on main street and there are a number of them, claim to have the very best prices in the world regarding gemstones.... so that may tickle your fancy as well...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Interesting side note there is an island off of Peter Island in Deadman's Bay called Dead Chest Island. At one point its name was Deadman's Chest. It's small with no fresh water or anything edible on it. A stark desolate place. You can imagine what would happen if 15 men were marrooned there. :ph34r: (eerily the Derelict is heard in the background).

Might be a fun place to visit! :) hee hee

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Hi, Duchess & Lady Seahawk:

The earliest I could likely go to the Bahamas would be in the spring of 2007. So, any info in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Duchess, you mentioned that the outer islands are much less developed, and that the main activities there are scuba diving and fishing. I'm not a big fishing enthusiast (although my dad is), and I don't know how to scuba dive. However, I love to swim, and I like snorkelling. What are the beaches like? (I'm looking for ones that are deserted) Anywhere I could likely rent a romantic little cabana for two right on the beach?

Is there somewhere in the Bahamas that one could view a shallow-water shipwreck by snorkelling? (Preferably a GAoP era one, if such would still be intact.)

Night-life and clubs don't really interest me -- but some good restaurants serving local seafood would be appreciated. Any recommendations?

Cheers, Hester

There are plenty of small resorts sprinkled throughout the Bahamas. I'd check out the main Bahamas website for advertising and such.

The very best snorkling I've done there is in the Land and Sea Park in the Exumas chain, so maybe look for a place around there. I don't know where there are any sunken ships to snorkle though.

There is a great restuarant called the Blue Bird on Cat Island, you don't get to order, you get what the three ladies feel like making. Unfortunately there isn't a resort near the restaurant. So it really is a local place.

Hi, Duchess:

Thanks for those tips!

The Exuma Cays Land and Sea Park sounds just my speed! I love wilderness parks, nature reserves, etc.

Some of my favourite such places here in Canada are Lake Superior Provincial Park (the big lake they call Gitchee Gumee):

homepage.jpg

http://www.ontarioparks.com/English/lakes.html

... and Five Fathoms Marine Park and Bruce Peninsula National Park at Tobermory (on Lake Huron):

3537573.P7154221.jpg

http://www.divermag.com/archives/sept2001/fathom.html

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/on/bruce/index_e.asp

... and Pacific Rim National Park near Tofino, B.C.:

Long%20Beach%20Pacific%20Rim%201-0131.jpg

http://www.longbeachmaps.com/parks.html

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Exumas are your best bet, and you may recognize a location or two from POTC. Don't go to Grand Bahama Island!! Not a terribly attractive Island, and it's seen better days. The displays at the Pirate Museum are worth seeing. They have a website---- Pirates of Nassau. BB

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Frommes website has some local restaurants that are highly recommended...I plan on sampling when I am there.

http://www.frommers.com

A-Z has seems to have some good tips in a variety of things.

http://www.a-zoftourism.com/travel-to-Nassau.htm

That's the best I can do until after Oct.

Hope it helps a bit.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...